• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS [ Updated Daily + Partial Fix] An error has occurred, forcing the software to close.

laciel

Smash Rookie
is anyone able to update their 3DS to the newest update? mine keeps erroring when starting the update process and asks me to restart, just running into issue after issue with this silly machine :p i was hoping it might fix this issue we're having with smash!

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
These are the patch notes:

Version 9.0.0-20U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:

• Changes to the HOME Menu:
    • Users can now use themes to customize the design and sounds of the HOME Menu
      • Five themes are pre-installed and additional themes can be purchased from the Theme Shop
      • Themes can be changed by using settings located within the HOME Menu Settings
    • A feature has been added that allows users to capture screenshots of their HOME Menu

• Changes to the Nintendo eShop:
    • The Title Information page has been updated to provide easier access to any available videos, demos, user reviews, and other information

• Improvements to system stability and usability:
    • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

MrMustard21

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jarret91
3DS FC
0791-3640-8841
I've managed to get my system Updated. Though unfortunately the problem sill persists, and even with the deletion of the update, that only provided a temporary solution. When I was playing the game a second time without the update, it crashed yet again. So I'm not sure on what to do.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
This update seems to be focused mostly on the new interface Theme feature.
One would assume if they patched Super Smash Bros they would announce it like they did with the Pokémon save bug patch.

laciel

Smash Rookie
i'm cautiously excited, i got my 3ds to go through with the update and i just completed classic mode for the first time in a pretty long while (excluding the time i did it through the pausing method) i'm going to see if i can continue doing more at higher difficulties, but please i hope that this is no longer an issue for me

edit: nevermind, looks like i definitely spoke just too soon :|

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
okay i have to ask does everyone having this problem own an XL?

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
now i might be jumping to a conclusion here but it might have to do with the fact you own an XL

black57mage

Smash Rookie
now i might be jumping to a conclusion here but it might have to do with the fact you own an XL
Could be a possibility he's onto something. I've tried playing a lot more on my regular 3DS with and without the 1.0.2 patch and I can't get the thing to crash. Then again, my brother plays on a blue XL and he hasn't had any problems either. Still, if anybody else comments about this issue, could you post if you use an XL, a regular, or a 2DS? Might help determine if it's model specific or not.

smodonitro

Smash Rookie
I own a red and black XL and it still is having the issue. I borrowed a 3rd cartridge from my brother-in-law and it still does not work. We will call Nintendo tomorrow and submit a formal complaint. I'll let you guys know what Nintendo is willing to do about it. Also, if you guys are desperate or don't want to wait around for a patch, Gamestop offers trade-ins of 3ds XL systems for $80 USD store credit. Then you can buy a warranty on top of that to make sure you're covered. They also offer refurbished 3ds XL's for $175. So, you could trade in your old 3ds XL for a refurbished one and would only have to shell out $100 plus tax. Yes it's a lot of money but at least it's cheaper than sending it to Nintendo for repairs ($135 USD) and you would still have a 3ds XL, renewed warranty coverage and you'd be playing Smash Bros. Just a thought...

Last edited:

Pjordan93

Smash Rookie
Hi guys. I've been following this thread for a few days. It's really frustrating to see that so many of us are having this problem.
I also have a 3DS XL. It's red, standard edition. I have Pokemon Y in cartridge form, and Mario Kart 7 and SSB downloaded through the eShop.

I also called Nintendo on the release date to report this issue. They told me to repair the game, then delete it and redownload, then advised me to wait a few days to a week and see if Nintendo addresses the issue. If all else fails, I would have to send in my system. While my system is still covered under warranty, I think it's total BS that any of us should have to send in our systems, free of charge or not. This is obviously an issue that Nintendo created. I don't know if it requires a patch, I don't know if it requires that the system be taken apart. Whatever the issue, lets hope Nintendo will step up and take care of it in an appropriate manner.

My crashing issue seems to be less mild than what I'm reading here, and I only say that because I sometimes experience periods where I can play for hours on end without any interruption. When the game does crash, it always happen at one particular spot. It crashes in any mode, except streetpass. For example, when I choose Classic mode, I will reach the character screen, select one, move to the stage select screen, select one, and the next screen will contain some sort of game tip. It is on that game tip screen where my game crashes. It doesn't matter what mode, character I choose, stage, random selection, or whether WiFi is on or off. It happens in character and Mii customization modes, as well.

Like I said earlier, I do have periods where I can play for as long as I want. Those periods of time seem to come about an hour-two hours after the game has crashed repeatedly. I will set the system down, come back to, and for some reason the game will actually play and I will not have one single crashing issue. I may experience an internet connectivity issue, but I don't think that's related. I have noticed one thing, though. The last two times I had periods where I could play, my battery was fully charged. For example, this morning I picked up my DS and attempted to play. No luck. It was still connected though. I unplugged the charger, turned it back on, opened up SSB and it played. I was only able to play for 10 minutes since I had to get to class but there were no issues. I came back to my DS around 4 or 5 hours later. I turned it on and it wouldn't play. I plugged in the system, just to see if I would have a repeat of this morning. It charged quickly, turned it on with the charger still connected, and it wouldn't play. I disconnected the cord, tried again, and sure enough the game loaded and played fine for several hours. Also, my screen brightness was at 1, power saving is off.

Sorry for typing a novel here, but I figured it would help if I was super specific. As I'm typing this, I'm attempting to reproduce the same results that I was having earlier today and I'm not really having any luck. The game is crashing with the charger plugged in, and with the charger removed. I'll attempt it again in 10 minutes and see if anything changes. - 1:50am

10 minutes later - 1:59am
Still no luck. Really not sure how I'm having these in and out periods. I'm guessing that tomorrow morning I will turn the console on and I will be able to play. I say that because that seems to be the trend. I'm wondering if theres some sort of power issue, which could explain why a full charge has been the possible solution to the game crashing, along with the low brightness setting.
Anyway, I will let you all know tomorrow. If anyone can think of any ways to further test, I'm all ears.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Does anyone run into an issue with challenges? I've done the Rival Smash 50 KO thing TWICE but never got that block unlocked.

DanRockStar

Smash Rookie
I'm jumping on board this one.. I too cannot get mine to work... I have the blue XL3ds and downloaded copy from the e-shop... I've tried all the methods and have tgone thru all methods of frustration due to this insanely annoying issue we all seem to be having...

I really hope one of us figures out what it is... Or nintendo will fix the problem.. Glad to know Im not the only one.. I hail from Alberta, Canada.. Friends of mine with both digital and hard copies of the game are playing completely fine.. With the online patch and everything.. Its very confusing..

I'm wondering if somehow there was a glitch along the lines of when it was released.. I downloaded mine on oct.3rd at approximately 12:35 am.. Not sure if this information helps with the investigation at hand.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I think we can all agree about the majority of the affected players are on a 3DSXL so i will mention that on the main post.

pumpkaboom

Smash Rookie
Been tracking this thread since I got the game on saturday (thankyou so much btw, so glad to know the problem's not just me).

Anyway, 3DSXL, standard white, physical copy of the game, SD card that came with the XL with loads of space free. It's never done this before, even with animal crossing. Tried it with and without the patch, erased the data and tried again and still no luck.
Basically only happens in all star mode (every bloody time. I can get up to 1998 without crashing, but never any further), and ALWAYS happens in the character select screen just after you've been KO'd.
Interestingly it worked fine for a while after I newly got it, and then started freezing/crashing like crazy. It was funny at first watching the boyfriend try again and again to get the pacman trophy but now it's just sad.

I think that's everything? God, I hope it's something patchable.

EDIT: Possible fix??? scanned pjordan's post and wondered if it was a power issue... Plugged the lil baby into the power, cut the 3D and the volume, turned brightness to zero and turned power save mode on. Did a quick classic run on easy with Dedede and SUCCESS! Actually managed to get through it without a freeze! Not sure if this is a legit fix, I'll test it more when I'm not half asleep. Try it too, I want to know if it works!

Last edited:

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Well, i am not tech savy so i may be saying something wrong, but the errors seem to be produced by bad/corrupted data overwriting/card reading consideing that a really big amount of users crash when unlocking stuff or advancing stages or even by patching the game.

Maybe ( and forgive me if i am wrong ) the problem is that the game can potentially slow down the system too much to the point it commits errors and this makes the game crash?

I am also saying this because a lot of people seem to have a lot of trouble when there´s too many characters on screen in those modes.

Furthermore, and as i have mentioned back when the game was released, pausing the game constantly seems to prevent the crashes, maybe cause the system is allowed to "catch up?" Idk

And considering it happens mostly on XL´s , can it be that the bigger screens may be the ones causing the superior power drain?
I don´t know, i am just shooting in the dark here.

Last edited:

Pjordan93

Smash Rookie
I just tried to start up my game and it worked. Last night while I was typing that post and trying to start the game up, I didn't realize I had brightness at 4/5. I turned the system on today and put it back to 1/5 and it worked. I have no idea why, but as of now it seems to be some sort of power issue.

Fersherls

Smash Rookie
I think we can all agree about the majority of the affected players are on a 3DSXL so i will mention that on the main post.
Sadly this is happening to me in classic purple 3ds, this is definitely something related to a problem with the 3ds itself, yesterday I tried to play with an sd card of a friend who doesnt have this problem, and still freezing but mine freeze at the very start of any fight more often with master hand, but in any kind of fight even local battles with friends, and besides of this freezing issues sometimes when im playing normal smash battles characters start to die in the middle of the map and weird things start to happen like characters who just respawn die instantly before getting off the platform that brings you to the map when you die, at this point I have to reset myself the 3ds... Looks like the 3ds cant handle the smash itself

av448

Smash Cadet
anyone hasn't thinked that it may be relationed to the number of friends you have registered in the console? it may get the 3DS to use RAM cheking who is online , we all know that Smash uses part of that RAM for the game , how many friends you have registered?

Panth3r

Smash Rookie
So ive been having this issue with the physical copy, using a 3ds XL, and it only happens on character selection screen after I unlocked Dark Pit.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
anyone hasn't thinked that it may be relationed to the number of friends you have registered in the console? it may get the 3DS to use RAM cheking who is online , we all know that Smash uses part of that RAM for the game , how many friends you have registered?
When i System Formatted my console i had 0 friends and the error persisted.
It was only after i formatted my SD card and did not update to 1.0.2 that the error stopped happening.

But now i can´t play online...

So ive been having this issue with the physical copy, using a 3ds XL, and it only happens on character selection screen after I unlocked Dark Pit.
This strenghtens my theory that it has something to do with writing/reading, because a lot of the crashes seem to happen after you unlock something or if you are doing a battle to unlock that something.

It´s so weird, though.

Panth3r

Smash Rookie
When i System Formatted my console i had 0 friends and the error persisted.
It was only after i formatted my SD card and did not update to 1.0.2 that the error stopped happening.

But now i can´t play online...

This strenghtens my theory that it has something to do with writing/reading, because a lot of the crashes seem to happen after you unlock something or if you are doing a battle to unlock that something.

It´s so weird, though.
I really hope they find out a way to fix this issue, I can only play for 10-20minutes at a time before it crashes again :/
Is nintendo aware of this yet?

Last edited:

black57mage

Smash Rookie
Switched back to my XL, turned power saving mode on and switched brightness to 1. I've successfully completed classic mode twice and smash run three times, all in a row, without any problems. If you're having problems give this a shot, seems plausible that power has something to do with it.
Edit: Started playing again later with power save on and level 1 brightness and it crashed. Seems I was just lucky earlier.

Side note: I'm curious as to whether the new 3DS models will suffer from anything like this, as they're supposed to have better hardware. Too bad we won't be getting them until next year.

Edit: Another thought occurred to me-
We seem to have all been assuming that we're all suffering from the same problem, which is not necessarily the case. It's possible, yes, but it's also possible that some of us have separate issues that result in the same crash error. My point is, if you have been experiencing crashing for whatever reason and you find something that helps or fixes your particular problem, please share! It may help somebody else even if it doesn't help everybody.

Last edited:

Panth3r

Smash Rookie
Switched back to my XL, turned power saving mode on and switched brightness to 1. I've successfully completed classic mode twice and smash run three times, all in a row, without any problems. If you're having problems give this a shot, seems plausible that power has something to do with it.

Side note: I'm curious as to whether the new 3DS models will suffer from anything like this, as they're supposed to have better hardware. Too bad we won't be getting them until next year.

We seem to have all been assuming that we're all suffering from the same problem, which is not necessarily the case. It's possible, yes, but it's also possible that some of us have separate issues that result in the same crash error. My point is, if you have been experiencing crashing for whatever reason and you find something that helps or fixes your particular problem, please share! It may help somebody else even if it doesn't help everybody.
I will give this power saving brightness adjustment a try and see how it works out.

laciel

Smash Rookie

you're probably right in that it's probably not the same exact issue which is what i was also guessing, but very hard to say for sure because there's no way to actually debug what's going on here, in any case the fact that the power-saving/brightness solution of yours sadly does not work in my favor which holds up that notion that there prolly won't be a cure-all fix for all of us :\

btw, i have not tried the non-1.0.2 fix as i play online very much and i dont want to give that up grahh

Last edited:

MrMustard21

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jarret91
3DS FC
0791-3640-8841
The power saving trick did not work. I tried it on mine just a few minutes ago and the game crashed when I was trying to do classic mode.

Unseen Dragon

Smash Rookie
That's very odd...

I'm on 3DS XL (silver, release verion), with the physical copy and no issues.

Maybe it's realted to the heat level of your SD card?

If you're experiencing crashes, if you press your hand or elbow against the SD slot, is it hot?

Fersherls

Smash Rookie
That's very odd...

I'm on 3DS XL (silver, release verion), with the physical copy and no issues.

Maybe it's realted to the heat level of your SD card?

If you're experiencing crashes, if you press your hand or elbow against the SD slot, is it hot?
Yeah... Actually I noticed that when playing smash only gets hot

Pjordan93

Smash Rookie
Just turned on my 3DS to play after being away for roughly 10 hours. Didn't charge it, although the battery icon reads 4/4 bars. Starting up the game in brightness 1/5 seems to help, although I think that I've started it up in the past at different brightness levels. I also do not have power saving on, although I will test that next time my game crashes.

As for the heat theory, I can't say I've ever noticed the area around the memory card being hot, even after playing for 5+ hours, but I will be sure to check again next time I have some time to play for a while, or when the system crashes. Then again, I have picked up the system in the past after several hours of it being untouched and it would still crash, which would indicate that it's not a heat problem.

Unseen Dragon

Smash Rookie
Just turned on my 3DS to play after being away for roughly 10 hours. Didn't charge it, although the battery icon reads 4/4 bars. Starting up the game in brightness 1/5 seems to help, although I think that I've started it up in the past at different brightness levels. I also do not have power saving on, although I will test that next time my game crashes.

As for the heat theory, I can't say I've ever noticed the area around the memory card being hot, even after playing for 5+ hours, but I will be sure to check again next time I have some time to play for a while, or when the system crashes. Then again, I have picked up the system in the past after several hours of it being untouched and it would still crash, which would indicate that it's not a heat problem.
It could also be internal, or just some of the affected have a heat issue :)

av448

Smash Cadet
if setting the brightness more lower lessers the % of the game frezzing , then it could be a heat problem

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
As we mentioned before, there are several causes to the problem.

It is undeniable that for some, it is the 1.0.2 update that causes the crash, as installing the game without it allows us to enjoy all of the offline games and modes without suffering any sort of hiccup on error.

On the other hand, it is also true that for some, disabling options and reducing brightness and whatnot also prevents the crashing and when it comes to these users, the patch does not seem to make things worse or better.

I myself did not manage to play Crash-less by disabling features and reducing brightness, but can play perfectly without the patch.

However, it COULD be that both problems are somewhat related, as the patch enables a series of onine features, some of which are updated even when you are not online ( such as the GSP ) that may just mean the difference in power between our 3DS being able to take it and crossing the limit.

I do not know what to think.

Top Bottom