• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 06/09/16] 19XXTE 0.11, ROM Hack (Working on Console!)

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
19XXTE 0.9G works perfectly when injected into the Kirby 64 Virtual Console on Wii U (using the existing UNALJ0.354 config by changing the region within the ROM). However, a general issue this emulator has with Super Smash Bros. is that character models never change colours (eg. invulnerability flashing). Unfortunately, Hid-to-VPAD's Gamecube controller functionality doesn't work very well with this as of now (notably, full right / up on the analogue stick register as full left / down respectively, and the Z button's functionality is hardcoded as a button modifier).
I will also test the next version in this emulator.
This is interesting and proof emulators suck. 0.10 was designed to work universally so hopefully this isn't an issue in the future.

GFD

Smash Cadet
Could this also work on Wii?
Do you just mean via injection into the N64 Wii Virtual Console emulators? I've never found those to be very useful. I tried to figure it out once, but didn't really get anywhere. From what I can recall, these were the issues I encountered: I couldn't find a romc type 2 compressor, which is the type with the highest compression ratio, and how the Super Smash Bros. emulator's ROM is compressed. Since an injected ROM cannot be larger than the original ROM, there is therefore no way to inject a modified Super Smash Bros. ROM into the Wii Virtual Console Super Smash Bros. emulator. You could inject it into a Wii Virtual Console emulator with a larger ROM file (the Sin and Punishment emulator is a popular choice, with a 256 megabit base ROM), but then you run into issues with emulator differences. The emulation varies significantly between the different Virtual Console titles, due to usage of various game-specific "hacks", and different hardcoded control schemes. With the Sin and Punishment emulator, for example, the magnifying glasses are surrounded by a black box, and R / Z are mapped to R / L instead of Z / R respectively.
In contrast, the Wii U N64 Virtual Console emulators have no weird ROM compression or filesize limit for injected ROMs, have fully customizable controls, and have game-specific configuration files for implementing game-specific "hacks". In fact, the reason that Super Smash Bros. can be injected so well is because Nintendo was nice enough to include a bunch of unused/unfinished configuration files in the Virtual Console downloads, including one for "SmashBrothers JP"! (Several other gems are in there, including "Banjo2", "GoldenEye", "BioHazard2", "Perfect Dark", and "pokermon snap".)

By the way, the analogue stick issue with Hid-to-VPAD that I mentioned earlier can apparently be circumvented by changing the game configuration in the emulator.

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
Do you just mean via injection into the N64 Wii Virtual Console emulators? I've never found those to be very useful. I tried to figure it out once, but didn't really get anywhere. From what I can recall, these were the issues I encountered: I couldn't find a romc type 2 compressor, which is the type with the highest compression ratio, and how the Super Smash Bros. emulator's ROM is compressed. Since an injected ROM cannot be larger than the original ROM, there is therefore no way to inject a modified Super Smash Bros. ROM into the Wii Virtual Console Super Smash Bros. emulator. You could inject it into a Wii Virtual Console emulator with a larger ROM file (the Sin and Punishment emulator is a popular choice, with a 256 megabit base ROM), but then you run into issues with emulator differences. The emulation varies significantly between the different Virtual Console titles, due to usage of various game-specific "hacks", and different hardcoded control schemes. With the Sin and Punishment emulator, for example, the magnifying glasses are surrounded by a black box, and R / Z are mapped to R / L instead of Z / R respectively.
In contrast, the Wii U N64 Virtual Console emulators have no weird ROM compression or filesize limit for injected ROMs, have fully customizable controls, and have game-specific configuration files for implementing game-specific "hacks". In fact, the reason that Super Smash Bros. can be injected so well is because Nintendo was nice enough to include a bunch of unused/unfinished configuration files in the Virtual Console downloads, including one for "SmashBrothers JP"! (Several other gems are in there, including "Banjo2", "GoldenEye", "BioHazard2", "Perfect Dark", and "pokermon snap".)

By the way, the analogue stick issue with Hid-to-VPAD that I mentioned earlier can apparently be circumvented by changing the game configuration in the emulator.
Yeah I mean by injecting it into a WAD. Since emulating it through homebrew emulator causes unstable framerate and basically renders the game unplayable for competitive standards (Wii64 and Not64 I'm looking at you). If 0.10 works with Sin and Punishment Wad then that would be OK at least. Since I got used to the control changes anyways and the black box in the magnifying glass isn't that much of an issue either. And the framerate is pretty decent too. Still, at least that should be playable for regular and competitive standards.

SeariousScar

Smash Cadet
@Shears What are the legal stages in Smash 64 in Xanadu? Without Hyrule, there are only five other stages I have seen the smash players in Xanadu play on. What would be the sixth stage for a 3 out of 5 set?

Dizzle

Smash Cadet
@Shears What are the legal stages in Smash 64 in Xanadu? Without Hyrule, there are only five other stages I have seen the smash players in Xanadu play on. What would be the sixth stage for a 3 out of 5 set?
I think they stopped doing the 19XX stages around G3, idk if they've picked it back up since then.

Moosh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moosh_da_moosh
3DS FC
3995-6503-8179
Shears and Co. moved to Darkhouse, which is in Darkhorse's basement. I believe the only legal stage is DL64. however if there were other legal stages, Bo5 sets have no bans so they would only need 3 for it to work.

SeariousScar

Smash Cadet
D Dizzle Moosh Moosh Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have started using dreamland only again, but I was asking about the sixth stage they would have used when they were still using 19XX.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Updated Main Post. Have fun

Remember, test for Frame Drops. AA is disabled so teams may work laglessly or may be even more laggy because of my dma function. Please give fead back. Thanks!

Zantetsu

Smash Master

Remember, test for Frame Drops. AA is disabled so teams may work laglessly or may be even more laggy because of my dma function. Please give fead back. Thanks!
So no toggle for the Japanese hit sounds? I personally enjoy them, but I've heard more complaints from the community about the Japanese sounds than people who have liked them. Also, only tested on emu so far but the hit sounds were becoming very buggy after a few minutes of play, they started to have a lot of echo to them.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
So no toggle for the Japanese hit sounds? I personally enjoy them, but I've heard more complaints from the community about the Japanese sounds than people who have liked them. Also, only tested on emu so far but the hit sounds were becoming very buggy after a few minutes of play, they started to have a lot of echo to them.
It will be a toggle in the future. It's a development build that I pushed just to make sure I wasn't wasting my time (test for frame drops!)

I've also revamped the donation section. Now, your name will be listed as a conributor (or your tag if you leave a message) and I've made it clear where the money was going. I've also added a little incentive (try stage hacking again) and may continue to do stuff like that in the future if the community likes the idea.

Last edited:

GamingMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AbnormalAdept
that sounds like a good idea btw items r on and hitbox on is not actually on
only thing on is random music that works

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
that sounds like a good idea btw items r on and hitbox on is not actually on
only thing on is random music that works
make sure "tournament mode" is on none. I haven't looked into the feature that heavily yet.

Hitbox on is actually on read the "dev issues" section.

Last edited:

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434

I will test on my Wii Console tomorrow since I don't have it here right now.

GamingMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AbnormalAdept
6th mario, dk, samus, kirby 5th fox, luigi, ness, link doesnt have stock icon potential extra skins?
off screen bubble error
testing frame shortly

speaking of which i have a smash club on tuesday will test by then

with the jp hit sounds can it also toggle fox and purin jp announcer sounds?

Last edited by a moderator:

The American Patriot

Smash Rookie
New patch won't boot up on Everdrive 64 v2.5. Idk if I'm doing something wrong bit it won't boot up, tried it on an emulator and it worked.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
i experienced the same thing. it just boots to a black screen with the music from dreamland playing
Well that's unfortunate. I'll do my best to figure out what might be causing it although there's not a lot I can do without getting my hands on an Everdrive.

Also added a link to the source code.

GFD

Smash Cadet
The toggles selection seems to have some oddities. In particular, the bottom 10 toggles seem to be able to affect the game in strange ways. For example, with everything on, highlighting the Stage Select option turns the whole screen red. If you then turn off Bob-omb or Bumper, this stops happening. If you turn off RayGun, highlighting the Team Attack option turns the screen red.

Unfortunately, the toggles don't seem to work at all in the Wii U Virtual Console Kirby 64 emulator. The exception is that if you turn off all toggles, the music turns off, but you can't get it to turn back on without resetting the game. There are newer Wii U N64 Virtual Console emulators that supposedly are more updated, so perhaps I'll get one of those and see if they work any better.
In Project64, things seem to work a-ok. In CEN64, it seems to hang after leaving the CSS in any way, which is weird.

Last edited:

GFD

Smash Cadet
If only one team has two players, and they win with a stock count that is equal to the global stock count, the game enters sudden death, even when holding a C button when the game ends. If they win with a stock count less than the global stock count, the game decides that they lose, and if there are two other teams, sudden death begins with only those two teams present.

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
Just confirming that the issue with Everdrive v2.5s also happens on 64Drives. Black screen with Dreamland music playing in the background. Music sounds weirdly distorted for me as well.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
The toggles selection seems to have some oddities. In particular, the bottom 10 toggles seem to be able to affect the game in strange ways. For example, with everything on, highlighting the Stage Select option turns the whole screen red. If you then turn off Bob-omb or Bumper, this stops happening. If you turn off RayGun, highlighting the Team Attack option turns the screen red.
What emulator is this on?

Unfortunately, the toggles don't seem to work at all in the Wii U Virtual Console Kirby 64 emulator. The exception is that if you turn off all toggles, the music turns off, but you can't get it to turn back on without resetting the game. There are newer Wii U N64 Virtual Console emulators that supposedly are more updated, so perhaps I'll get one of those and see if they work any better.
Looks like using Wii Mode may be the best option if There are known issues (I believe you mentioned missing flashing as well).

In CEN64, it seems to hang after leaving the CSS in any way, which is weird.
No this makes sense. This means the cache function doesn't work or a register that shouldn't be used is used/isn't restored.

If only one team has two players, and they win with a stock count that is equal to the global stock count, the game enters sudden death, even when holding a C button when the game ends. If they win with a stock count less than the global stock count, the game decides that they lose, and if there are two other teams, sudden death begins with only those two teams present.
See the known bugs section. The sudden death/score issues are not applicable to 1v1s or 2v2s so this I low priority right now especially with so many things broken. I may come up with a fix in the future

idk if mentioned already but is there a way to use m mario and g dk
No

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
Was able to replicate this one. Should be an easy fix. Thanks

@everyone
Does this boot on v3 Everdrives?
The only real difference in the v2. 5 and v3 everdrive is the addition of a real time clock for games that need it. That and auto save backup, so if it doesn't run on a 2.5 there isn't going to be anything the game needs on a v3 that should make it work.

Jayr

Smash Cadet
I can confirm that the game crashes on dreamland music too in everdrives v3.0.

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
I will test on my Wii Console tomorrow since I don't have it here right now.
1. Wii Console (injected into Sin & Punishment)
Doesn't work when injected, it hangs on the Classic Controller Scren, just like did the 0.9G version.
2. Wii Console (Homebrew Channel, Not64 emulator)
It works, at least it didn't crash, however, toggles didn't work at all and for whatever reason the game seems to start always with Hitboxes on, even though explicitly disabling it in the toggles didn't do anything because it still remains active. 0.9G worked 100% with no compatibility issues, but in 0.10 toggles couldn't be handled properly.
3. Mupen64Plus (Arch Linux)
Works perfectly, toggles work properly. Everything OK. Hadn't tested enough since I seldom play on my PC. But just to let you know it worked here with no issues as a matter of fact.
4. Noted some other oddities.
Team Attack and Stage Select changed to Off by default when certains toggles/items are changed. Disabling Star would turn the screen red when highligting Team Attack and/or Stage Select, I am sure I saw more odd things, but these are the ones I remember right now.

Last edited:

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
ill check wii64 tmr and dolphin
You should try Not64 instead, since the Wii64 project stopped being active, so some people took the source from their latest version and started the Not64 Project, a little off topic but, this emulator is up to date and their last update was a month ago. The problem with these emulators are that they have very unstable (not slow) framerate. Otherwise they could be a great alternative to Virtual Console since you can configure controls and do lots of stuff you can't do in VC.

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
There are a lot of pages in this thread so please forgive me if this has been brought up before:

Are there any plans or thoughts on implementing Melee-like C-stick functionality (edit: when using Gamecube controller obviously)? I find it incredibly difficult to play Smash64 these days primarily because I keep trying to use the C-stick for aerials and smashes.

This hack looks amazing by the way, I can't wait to try it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom