• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 06/09/16] 19XXTE 0.11, ROM Hack (Working on Console!)

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Hi,

I've been (legally) trying to get the most recent version of 19XXTE working on Dolphin, but haven't been having much success. I used the same method for previous versions and it worked just fine, so I don't believe that's the issue. I asked someone else for their opinion and they thought it might have to do with how the Virtual Console launches games and booting to the debug menu.

If you have any ideas on how to fix this, it would be extremely helpful in getting more people to play.

Thank you for your time.
Not really that familiar with making wads but try this.

1. Make the 19XXTE 0.9G rom as you normally would.
2. Open that rom with a hex editor (like HxD) and go to offset 0x42CD0.
3. Change "04" to "10."
4. Make the wad.
5. Boot the game. If it loads, press B to get out of the CSS and then do it again to (hopefully) load the debug menu.

Let me know how it goes.
(this rom fails because I forget to have him apply a CRC fix)

Just checked this out, unfortunately it didn't seem to solve the issue. On Dolphin it resulted in the same error:

"IntCPU: Unknown instruction 00000000 at PC = 000000000 last_PC = 00000000 LR = 0000000"

Making that change also caused the game to stop working on PJ64, resulting in the following error:

"In a permanent loop that cannot be exited. Emulation will now stop."
(again that rom failed)

try with this rom

this is dev build with a few undocumented changes (not even sure what, it's been a while). releasing it in any way will end the project permanently for you and everyone else. don't do that

https://www.mediafire.com/?3q66dfqwppiv64i

also would not be surprised if it froze since the game is built around the principle that the debug menu is launched first
(this was a hollow threat xD)

Finished testing, assuming you didn't want me to edit the rom beforehand. Since I wasn't to distribute it I used my own files to inject and run. The problem I have myself is that instead of an error message, the game drops to 0 FPS and doesn't get past the "You will need a classic controller" screen. This is the same for me as the public release of 0.9G.

At this point it doesn't look like it's booting to the debug menu causing problems.

I deleted both the dev build and the injected wad.
Interesting what was the last build that worked?
The last build that worked was the one where polygons were added, which I believe was before JaboDirect3D became unusable.
Yeah that makes sense. I'm writing in "blank space" in the ROM but it's part of the graphics microcode I believe. Idk I don't understand the issue very well but I know it's solved by using other plugins
It's seeming more and more like the microcode is what's causing the issue.

I asked some Dolphin devs about possibly improving the emulated Virtual Console to be more like the other plugins, but they said it wasn't possible. At this point it seems Dolphin emulation won't be possible unless the microcode changes are reverted.

May I ask how much of 19XXTE is dependent on using that blank space? Obviously the main mod should stay its course, but if even a stripped-down offshoot could be made to work for Dolphin it would be good news.
mnml mnml You're not the first person to look into it. We determined that writing over "free space" in the ROM is what's causing the issue and will never be fixed since that's where a majority of my injected functions are.

Edit: if you want to test this, go to 0x3BC00, replace all the 0s with random values until you hit non 0 values and see if it boots

Last edited:

mnml

Smash Rookie
mnml mnml You're not the first person to look into it. We determined that writing over "free space" in the ROM is what's causing the issue and will never be fixed since that's where a majority of my injected functions are.

Edit: if you want to test this, go to 0x3BC00, replace all the 0s with random values until you hit non 0 values and see if it boots
Wow. It almost works. I went into the ROM, and changed this:

to this:

By itself, that didn't work (Probably shouldn't; I admit I don't fully understand what I'm doing here). So then I tried
again to boot to CSS, and imagine my surprise:

It let me get to the stage select, but crashes as soon as a stage is picked (Again, probably what should happen?). Is there anything else I can try? I don't mind forgoing the debug menu stuff, but the stage select textures and extra costume colors would be so nice to have...

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Wow. It almost works. I went into the ROM, and changed this:

to this:

By itself, that didn't work (Probably shouldn't; I admit I don't fully understand what I'm doing here). So then I tried
again to boot to CSS, and imagine my surprise:

It let me get to the stage select, but crashes as soon as a stage is picked (Again, probably what should happen?). Is there anything else I can try? I don't mind forgoing the debug menu stuff, but the stage select textures and extra costume colors would be so nice to have...
Idk what's happening I'll look into it.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Hey jorgasms I think I mentioned this earlier but I forget, my friend managed to switch fox's laser to links boomerang, so he could shoot unlimited boomerangs at enemy's (but it would crash if he caught the boomerang) interested?

amg

Smash Rookie
Can't use Jabo's Direct3D plugin. Try another plugin like glide64 or rice. Also, that's an RDB issue which Knitephox provided a fix for a few pages back
So uh I removed Jabo's Direct3d Plugin, here are my plugins now:

Not sure if i misplaced the plugins
The rdb file is in the same place where all of my 64 roms are

uh, the "plswork" is the new rom i made. I tried making a rom before which is called "keklord" but for some reason, the file type is just "file" and I can't do anything with it i dunno

Last edited:

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
as a suggestion maybe there could be an archive of older versions of 19xxte like on the website
Cyjorg Cyjorg You should document every version released and their changes for the better understanding of the changes you have made so far between each version, It's too bad that from some version to the latest one (0.9G) it won't work on neither Dolphin or Wii Console VC mode. The version I have installed in wii console is the one where you can play with polygons, select all costumes and character with the same costumes, and the SSS miniatures have 45º angles EXCEPT Hyrule Castle, Congo Jungle Typo fixed and there is a stray pixel behind Hyrule Castle name. I am saying all this to help identify the current version because I don't know the version number I have installed, all I know is that is the latest version that worked injected up to date.

Last edited:

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
Also some posts back I said you can play the latest version of 19XXTE (0.9G) on Wii Console, using a homebrew app called Not64, well technically it's true but the emulation isn't perfect and has some MAJOR frame skipping issues, I don't know if all emulators does frameskip, or if there is a way to disable frameskip in this specific emulator (Not64). But still, we are stuck, either we play the older version on Wii VC, without the latest stuff but stable (near perfect?) framerate, or we play the latest version in a emulator with unstable framerate (that seemed to be smooth at first but took a while to figure out it does frameskip a lot), I could provide evidence if anyone wanted it, since someone said it is placebo, but definitively is not placebo,

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
Out of curiosity, which version did you use? I managed to inject 0.5.3 (The only version below 0.9G I could find) into the VC Smash wad, which is nice because the controls aren't weird like with the Sin and Punishment injects.

I had a similar hunch about the debug menu causing issues, so I changed the value responsible for debug menu autoboot in the ROM (Address 0x00042CD0, from "04", back to "10" so it boots to CSS like 0.5.3 does). After fixing the CRCs and reinjecting, it still hung on the "Classic Controller" screen.

As a final test, I tried changing the autoboot value to "1B", so it boots to the "Press Start" screen like the vanilla ROM would. Interestingly, it actually worked... Until I pressed start, and it crashed too... Progress, I guess?

Cyjorg Cyjorg , do you still keep a .txt file documenting the patches used in the ROM, like in the old versions? It would really help narrow down the VC crashes in 0.9G.
I don't know which version I used dude, I could provide you with the link with the wad file and figure out yourself, but I think that's not allowed here.

You can try Not64 emulator in your Wii console, but this emulator does frameskip, and I don't know if it's possible to disable frameskipping, because that's the major issue and renders the game unusable for competitive/tournament play.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Cyjorg Cyjorg You should document every version released and their changes for the better understanding of the changes you have made so far between each version, It's too bad that from some version to the latest one (0.9G) it won't work on neither Dolphin or Wii Console VC mode. The version I have installed in wii console is the one where you can play with polygons, select all costumes and character with the same costumes, and the SSS miniatures have 45º angles EXCEPT Hyrule Castle, Congo Jungle Typo fixed and there is a stray pixel behind Hyrule Castle name. I am saying all this to help identify the current version because I don't know the version number I have installed, all I know is that is the latest version that worked injected up to date.
This would be 0.7 which is pre debug menu which means pre injecting into free space. Again, I already know where the issue is coming from I just don't understand why exactly.

I'm going to push for a 0.10.0 release within because the "free space" is now causing issue in Project 64 as well. I'll be experimenting with DMA for the next few hours which would fix this issue and give me way more space (around ~658 kilobytes of free space or 164552 instructions). I literally wouldn't be able to use it all if I tried.

mnml

Smash Rookie
Out of curiosity, is it possible to make the C-buttons execute Smash attacks/aerials like the C-stick does in the newer Smash games? I guess it's probably outside of the scope for this hack, but I'd at least like to know if it's feasible...

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Out of curiosity, is it possible to make the C-buttons execute Smash attacks/aerials like the C-stick does in the newer Smash games? I guess it's probably outside of the scope for this hack, but I'd at least like to know if it's feasible...
I have no idea. Wouldn't do it even if it is possible.

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
Figured out DMA. The next edition of 19XXTE will work on Dolphin and VC
That's just awesome and great news, man can I say I love you?
Direct Memory Access. To put it simply, understanding DMA allows me to copy anything on the ROM into RAM which means all those "FF" bytes at the end of the ROM can be overwritten with other values/code and loaded as needed.
That means you could write the instructions you need to make visual toggles for the improvements you have added and such?
For example, the C-Up toggle to play with polygons, and show something like 20XX does. It would be nice if you could make it look like 20XX, when you press Z the name text changes for specific characters, and when you press R or L character background changes and also does a particular sound meaning you are either playing PAL version or custom skin character.
It would be REALLY NICE to write a toggle to be able to play with PAL/*** version of the character, besides polygon and such.

In a related note, anyone noticed in the version 0.7 pre-debug menu, when you wait at the title screen, an example match with 4 randomly chosen characters and random stage plays? I remember seeing Master Hand, Metal Mario and Giant DK while I left the game idle in the title screen for a while. That seemed weird to me, because, afaik, they still aren't playable yet. Or not?

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
man can I say I love you?

that means you could write the instructions you need to make visual toggles for the improvements you have added and such?
There's already a queue for the polygon. Not sure what other toggles you'd expect.

It would be nice if you could make it look like 20XX, when you press Z the name text changes for specific characters
The names are textures which are much more difficult to replace. Besides, adding "Polygon Mario" and such isn't really necessary is it?

and when you press R or L character background changes and also does a particular sound meaning you are either playing PAL version or custom skin characte
Not realistic. Don't understand how file loading works and definitely not a priority since the USA version and PAL versions are very similar and we don't play with Japan often (where the real differences are).

when you wait at the title screen, an example match with 4 randomly chosen characters and random stage plays?
This is normal. No those characters are not playable.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
What am i doing wrong? I can't open 19xx in project64k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiTDYvERzNQ
name the rom 19XXTE.z64 and it will show up. It's not showing because pj64 filters out other file extension (only .n64, .bin, .z64, .v64, .zip etc. work). You could also hit the scroll box in the bottom right of the last screen and say "all files"

Last edited:

Cray Z

Smash Rookie
name the rom 19XXTE.z64 and it will show up. It's not showing because pj64 filters out other file extension (only .n64, .bin, .z64, .v64, .zip etc. work). You could also hit the scroll box in the bottom right of the last screen and say "all files"
This is what happened when I did that
Trying to download glide64 and get that working but god my head hurts from all this.

edit: got it working. In case anyone else googles this post. I put the file from "wrapper" into the project64k/emulator folder and put all the files from the glide64 plugin folder into my project64k's plugin folder. Didn't extract anything else from the zip file for glide64

Last edited:

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
Just a way of saying thank you.

There's already a queue for the polygon. Not sure what other toggles you'd expect.
Oh, so when the characters goes black is the indication for polygon? I thought you didn't do this on purpose and/or was a coincidental texture glitch.

The names are textures which are much more difficult to replace. Besides, adding "Polygon Mario" and such isn't really necessary is it?
Well, this would make your hack look more "professional", and while isn't really necessary, it would be nice, eventually when everything TODO is completed, well it may be optional and would be nice to complete the visual part of the hack.

Not realistic. Don't understand how file loading works and definitely not a priority since the USA version and PAL versions are very similar and we don't play with Japan often (where the real differences are).
European Link travels faster in the air, there are other minor PAL differences I don't remember right now. NTSC-J has 1 freeze frame less so hitlag animations last less, and therefore the game run faster during hitlag than in NTSC-U.

This is normal. No those characters are not playable.
So it is normal that the demo match plays non-playable characters? This could be very misleading, but since Debug Menu Version there is no way to go back to the title screen, and therefore Demo Match and intro obviously can't be accesed for that matter.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Well, this would make your hack look more "professional", and while isn't really necessary, it would be nice, eventually when everything TODO is completed, well it may be optional and would be nice to complete the visual part of the hack.
"Professional" also means not binding a bunch of actions to random buttons either which you've suggested already. Besides, the different size of the images would make this incredibly difficult.

Code:
@ 80120000 - Mario Image Data Pointer

@ 80123000 - Mario Image Data
DF000000 00000000 MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM 00000000 00000000

Not in ROM - Polygon Image Mario Data
PMPMPMPM PMPMPMPM PMPMPMPM PMPMPMPM
This is a very stripped down version of what you'd see when debugging (both data sets would be longer, the pointer system is more complicated) but it gets the point across. In order to get Polygon Mario I'd have to retro fit it over Mario Image data which doesn't work because it's too big or two change that pointer to a another spot in RAM (which is unreasonable to do for every character as that would eat valuable RAM space).

European Link travels faster in the air, there are other minor PAL differences I don't remember right now. NTSC-J has 1 freeze frame less so hitlag animations last less, and therefore the game run faster during hitlag than in NTSC-U.
Again, the Japanese game is radically different so that matchups are played completely differently and therefore doesn't warrant the hack.

Regional Differences from USA to PAL
Jigglypuff's Rest has a much smaller hitbox (more similar to Melee)
Teleports go a longer distance.
Yoshi has less lag when not Z-Canceling moves.
Link has a faster horizontal speed.
1. This is a change that would be nice to have.
2. I can't change this. It's beyond me.
3. "When not Z-Canceling." The character plays the same if you hit your Z-Cancels. Give most Yoshi's are very technically sound, this isn't going to change much.
4. Another small change that mildly improves his recovery at best.

Like with image data, character files are HUGE and two small changes don't justify this.

So it is normal that the demo match plays non-playable characters? This could be very misleading, but since Debug Menu Version there is no way to go back to the title screen, and therefore Demo Match and intro obviously can't be accesed for that matter.
How is this confusing? It could happen in the vanilla game and you never see the demo anymore anyways.

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
How is this confusing? It could happen in the vanilla game and you never see the demo anymore anyways.

I don't remember seeing Metal Mario, Master Hand, Giant DK or any polygon in the vanilla game demo.
But if you say so...

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
no it was always dl and the original 12
That doesn't matter anymore as the Title Screen won't be accesible in newer versions of 19XXTE. But it was funny when I saw Metal Mario and such I was like: "huh? You are a NPC, you aren't supposed to appear in the game demo anyways."

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Just spent two days completely restructuring my codes and rewriting several parts only to find out that you cannot boot to the debug menu at all in VC/Dolphin. Confrimed. No doubt about it. Slyshock and I were wrong. I'll attempt to keep the toggles by using the "Item Switch" screen instead (oh no you won't be able to use items!!).

As frustrating as this is, I still have soooo much actual free space that this process was definitely worth it. 0.10.0 coming to a store near you soon

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
Just spent two days completely restructuring my codes and rewriting several parts only to find out that you cannot boot to the debug menu at all in VC/Dolphin.
I had that suspect, since you can boot 0.9G on a crappy emulator that uses frameskip, but not in VC/Dolphin. Could be an issue with the VC's native HLE, I guess there is no way to fix that.
Confrimed. No doubt about it. Slyshock and I were wrong.
Even the wisest might err.
I'll attempt to keep the toggles by using the "Item Switch" screen instead (oh no you won't be able to use items!!).
OH NO! We won't be able to use items!! It's the end of the world!!! *Insert dramatic tune*
As frustrating as this is, I still have soooo much actual free space that this process was definitely worth it. 0.10.0 coming to a store near you soon
More good news than bad news, I guess again.

Shears

Smash Master
Just spent two days completely restructuring my codes and rewriting several parts only to find out that you cannot boot to the debug menu at all in VC/Dolphin. Confrimed. No doubt about it. Slyshock and I were wrong. I'll attempt to keep the toggles by using the "Item Switch" screen instead (oh no you won't be able to use items!!).

Excited for the next update but even though items aren't used in competitive play, we do use them in yolo. If you need to take item switch away not a problem since we will have everdrives and can just use normal smash for yolo tournaments, not a big deal especially for what we will be getting but yolo on 19xx was always fun. I guess as long as the past versions are still available for download we can have all the different ones on the everdrive.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Excited for the next update but even though items aren't used in competitive play, we do use them in yolo. If you need to take item switch away not a problem since we will have everdrives and can just use normal smash for yolo tournaments, not a big deal especially for what we will be getting but yolo on 19xx was always fun. I guess as long as the past versions are still available for download we can have all the different ones on the everdrive.
Actually, I came up with a "solution." putting the Appearance % toggle on anything other than None will skip asm for the toggles. It's not perfect by any means since you can't use any of the toggles while playing with items (which means no Widescreen or Skip Results Screen) but it's the best I could do.

GFD

Smash Cadet
What if y– wait, did I already suggest this? Aha, I'll just quote myself:
Are the single-player modes the only ones causing trouble? If so, would it be possible to move the debug menu there? Maybe you could even texture-hack "1P MODE" to say "19XXTE".

GFD

Smash Cadet
Oh, sorry, I misinterpreted as only booting to the debug menu was broken, and that access to it would be moved to the items menu, not that it was entirely unusable.

You mentioned Project 64 was having issues with your old code method. Out of curiosity, did Mupen also have issues?

Last edited:

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
Can't access the debug menu on VC. It has been cut. However, I will be texture hacking the item switch menu now that you bring this up.
Now that you mention items, it would be funny if you could add any easter egg, like for example Fox's lasers would sound like the Ray Gun sound effect. 20XX has an easter egg where the guns of spacies are 6X bigger in size. Since there are a lot of items you could try any sort of random funny stuff there.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Oh, sorry, I misinterpreted as only booting to the debug menu was broken, and that access to it would be moved to the items menu, not that it was entirely unusable.

You mentioned Project 64 was having issues with your old code method. Out of curiosity, did Mupen also have issues?
it was a plugin thing. so you could run it with glide64, gliden64, or rice's plugin but with jabo's direct3d

tehz

Smash Apprentice
Figured out DMA. The next edition of 19XXTE will work on Dolphin and VC
Nice, do you have any tips for "managing" DMA calls? My codes just get real messy real fast when I try to DMA stuff. I find it hard to find space to jump to my DMA moving-data function and then find spacing for jump to my actual, freshly DMA'd function.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Nice, do you have any tips for "managing" DMA calls? My codes just get real messy real fast when I try to DMA stuff. I find it hard to find space to jump to my DMA moving-data function and then find spacing for jump to my actual, freshly DMA'd function.
I'll open source it when it's bug free (there are two ways I'm testing right now, one is probably more traditional and the other shouldn't even work but does!)

Last edited:

Sorry:(

Smash Apprentice
This looks so dope! I wanna get into 64! The only things bugging me were the 1 stage and the music for that stage. Is 19xx ever used on anther's ladder? Anyone know?

Top Bottom