• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Update 1.0.4 Released!

PeachPlumPear

Smash Cadet
This is what I'm hearing from Mega Man(not 100% accurate):

+ Larger U-Air hitbox(this has been confirmed as more than a graphical change)
+ Jab, F-Tilt and Nair have more range(unconfirmed)
+ Fair, Bair and Dair kill earlier
+ Less IASA frames when all 3 Down B's are thrown
+ Thrown Plant Barrier can combo into a U-Tilt
+ Mega Man cannot get combo'd after grab release(he didn't have it as bad as Wario but he still had it)
+ No Phantom Lag after Up + B > Nair while landing.

- Rush Cancelling is gone (Rush Escape still exists though which is almost just as good)
Ogodplsgivemethesebuffsmmmmm :crazy:

deech

Smash Cadet
That's all I know so far, but it looks like our worst fears have been realized: Nintendo is hellbent on eradicating ANY unintended advanced techs that we come across. :(
If that's the case, I'm looking forward to playing the Smash 4 version of Project M.

I don't see how Smash can be enjoyable without the motivation to discover and master new ATs to bring yourself above the general learning curve.

Sakurai can turn Smash into a game where you hit the other person once and chase for another hit -- essentially becoming a rock-paper-scissors turn-by-turn game, which I will happily not play.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Glad to see Shulk and Mega Man getting buffed!
Also since I'm new to competitive smash I see IASA and AFAIK being said, what do those mean?

servbot 42

Smash Cadet
NNID
Servbot42
Just read most of it on reddit. It's a lot of changes and it is a little upsetting to me that some of the changes slows he game down some. wasn't this smash supposed to be more on competitive play or did nintendo just add "for glory" mode to publicly state that?

kinda sucks Wectoring was removed. I don't main him but it seemed like a lot of fun to use in matches.

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see Shulk and Mega Man getting buffed!
Also since I'm new to competitive smash I see IASA and AFAIK being said, what do those mean?
Interruptable As Soon As - Basically when you can start another move during that move

As Far As I Know - Self Explanatory

InevitableJeb

Smash Rookie
Don't know if these have been discussed already but some more stuff on Ike
  • D-Tilt now pops opponents up into the air similar to Roy's instead of sending them horizontally
Don't quote me on the rest of these but
  • Neutral B seems faster upon activation
  • Counter seems a little stronger
  • F-Smash may be a little faster

deech

Smash Cadet
Balancing is fun. Keeps the game fresh. Let's keep the butt hurt to a minimum please.
Balancing is fun, when it actually balances the game.

Game mechanic removal is not balance. It's blatantly taking out core strategies and dumbing down the game.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
Can someone PLEASE explain to me what happened to dash->up smash? I can't do it anymore.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't see what's wrong with removing unintended techs. Smash always seemed to me to be a game where it's easy to get in to and complex maneuvers are contrary to that design philosophy. I do believe that characters that benefited from and/or relied on techs should be buffed to compensate though.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I went through Zelda and here are the changes that are most certain. There are a few that need further testing as to see whether they're actual changes or not.

Okay, went and compared thread's data to 1.0.4

Here's what I got

Jab:
* It appears to have gotten a puny increase in some sort of KB. It now has an approx KO % of 368%, from 380% It's so insignificant, but it's too large of a difference to NOT be a change.

Utilt:
* The move does 1% more; and, consequently, KOs very slightly earlier as well. It's still pretty late at 178%, from 194%. I almost wonder if it was supposed to do 6% in the first place, considering it did 7% in E3 Demos.

Pivot Grab:
* The size of the grab hit-box is slightly smaller *sniff* thus reducing its range slightly. Just so y'all don't think it was Zelda exclusive, I went and tested Palutena's P-grab (Which was near identical in range before.) And her's too, was shortened slightly.

D

Deleted member 269706

Don't know if these have been discussed already but some more stuff on Ike
  • D-Tilt now pops opponents up into the air similar to Roy's instead of sending them horizontally
Don't quote me on the rest of these but
  • Neutral B seems faster upon activation
  • Counter seems a little stronger
  • F-Smash may be a little faster
Fancy, I'm definitely gonna test this stuff out. Thanks for the heads up!

Shon McCloud

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alphonsen
Sooo no one replied at me, and i kept looking for Fox and DK buffs/nerfs and almost no one said anything. Now I'm home and updated my software and after passing hours todas playing as fox in training mode...

>That being said i'm testing him right now and he received a huge buff! His moves are comboing way better, His hitboxes are larger, he fells smoother to control (small improvement in horizontal air movement) and some animation changes. His FOXCOPTER IS BACK (not as floaty as its brawl counterpart but is back!) and his upsmash... received more KB. His blaster takes 1% pershot, but it shoots faster(more shoots than the sound effect says). I'm pretty sure he received a cool buff. ( I trained as him HOURS today, he's definitively better overall.

So we have

> Better range and combo in almost all his moves
> Foxcopter
> overall better KO power (I'm assuming it deserves to cutting off rage mechanic)
> His BACK AIR IS ALMOST INSANT NOW!

> I guess those buffs have to do with that rage mechanic, since fo is a light character this was a great advantage, now he can kill like when he only could at a risky percentage.

(I felt bad seeing how forgotten he got since his nerfs in this game. Jeez, he was top tier in melee and a good in all games, there's not even ONE fox guide for smash 4 done!)

Now i'm moving to DK to try his new mechanics (if any) I'm delighted with this! Hope DK did it better too. because I was kinda sad my mains where totally nerfed or CUT (R.I.P. Lucas) Now the game feels fresh again for me! THANX SAKURAI!

Playing as DK right now (I played a tournment with him 2 days ago, i played a LOT with him, way more than FOX though)

> His Bair, REALLY IMPORTANT MOVE got a revamped hitbox! Its hitbox now covers hiss entire back!
> Dair got a HUGE buff, if received improved knockback and is less laggy. I need a link player to help me if more moves received disjointed hitboxes... so I'm not assuming anything here before more playing. (i'm in training mode right now)
> His Special moves are really faster! All of them!
> he seems overall stronger... just as fox, so i'm strongly guessing it's due to cutting off rage mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Troubled Fish

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deeboonie
3DS FC
3136-6693-6395
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but the glitch making Olimar's Pikmin freeze and become unusable through a down through into down smash has been removed as far as I can tell.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I am casual because I don't want stupid and pointless mechanics to be added back to the game? If that is what you think, then sure, mate.
If they are "pointless" then why are you opposed to them? They won't affect you.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina's up smash only has its knockback angled, so it hasn't been weakened at all. Of course, based on what @sonicbrawler182 found out, it doesn't send Bowser flying as far as before the patch. Against Mario, however, KO percents remain mostly the same for him.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Because that's why everyone loves Project M except me, right?
Believe me, I'm not a fan of Project M either. It not only changes up some of hue he playstyles so much, it also just seems to be ingratitude towards Sakurai and Nintendo for his hard work in Brawl over the removal of some game mechanics as well as a slower-paced non-compedative game (though, I hated tripping too) (Lucas puts three layers of Shield Omega over me to protect me from flames).

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
Been messing around with :4falcon: and everything seems almost identical. The only difference I've seen is that side b doesn't ko as easily. And that just might be my imagination.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's literally Melee 2.0. How is that a head scratcher?
No, SD Remix is the TRUE Melee 2.0 (if we're following the scheme of 1.00, 1.01, and 1.02).

PM is the alleged superior successor of Melee, but certain decisions make that boast questionable to me.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
No, SD Remix is the TRUE Melee 2.0 (if we're following the scheme of 1.00, 1.01, and 1.02).

PM is the alleged superior successor of Melee, but certain decisions make that boast questionable to me.
Ok, not 2.0, but rather literal Melee 2, in that sense.

Still simple to follow.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It's literally Melee 2.0. How is that a head scratcher?
Yeah, why even bother when you have the original? I can't stand hacks in general anyway since (in a case like this) it's incredibly disrespectful to the development team, but then it's just filled with just awful decisions. I really don't think they're interested in making a game that plays better, just Melee with more characters.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Where do you download the patch? Mine's not showing up in the e-shop

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Any known Dedede Changes?
Down throw now sends opponents less forwards and more upwards than before. It's not too noticeable, but it is there and it's noticeable at higher percents because of knockback growth. It means down throw doesn't go as well into f-air as it goes into u-air now.

I can only 90% be sure of it, so don't hold it against me.

EDIT: For anyone looking for R.O.B changes, so far I haven't found any. I only had a chance to test u-air, d-throw, smash attacks, and all his specials. His grab range hasn't changed either. I'll test the rest when I get the chance.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Believe me, I'm not a fan of Project M either. It not only changes up some of hue he playstyles so much, it also just seems to be ingratitude towards Sakurai and Nintendo for his hard work in Brawl over the removal of some game mechanics as well as a slower-paced non-compedative game (though, I hated tripping too) (Lucas puts three layers of Shield Omega over me to protect me from flames).
Do you see Smash 4 as an "ingratitude towards Sakurai and Nintendo for his hard work in Brawl"? Because Smash 4 DID change many of the bad things present in Brawl.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Do you see Smash 4 as an "ingratitude towards Sakurai and Nintendo for his hard work in Brawl"? Because Smash 4 DID change many of the bad things present in Brawl.
No, because Sakurai and Nintendo actually DID work on this. I was referring to the fact that fans felt it necessary to create a mod/hack/whatever you want to call it just because they hated Brawl mechanics.

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
no big nerfs to Lucario and buffs to Ike has me on Pharell levels of Happiness right now

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
it also just seems to be ingratitude towards Sakurai and Nintendo for his hard work in Brawl
I don't understand this notion of treating developers as people to be nice to. We are the customers. It should be the other way around. A lot of people hated some of the changes in brawl so they fixed it themselves. And why shouldn't they? It's not like the game was being updated in the first place. Also, tell me what is so bad about listening to the games community and what is so wrong with posting some damn patch notes.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I don't understand this notion of treating developers as people to be nice to. We are the customers. It should be the other way around. A lot of people hated some of the changes in brawl so they fixed it themselves. And why shouldn't they? It's not like the game was being updated in the first place. Also, tell me what is so bad about listening to the games community and what is so wrong with posting some damn patch notes.
While it is true that criticism is necessary to develop the game, you have to remember that without the game developers, the game wouldn't exist. Besides, what's wrong with trying something new? Keeps the game interesting and makes it feel you're buying a completely different product as opposed to one with the exact same gameplay only with different characters, different stages, and better graphics.

My point is, is that game developers work hard and set aside their time to make these games. It's their job, sure, and while constructive criticism is necessary, unpredictability is also important, which is why I consider Sakurai a great developer. And since when did the customers always know best? Unless we had history in video game development, we haven't got a clue on how hard it is to develop a game. Spitting them and their work in the face isn't the best method to get a point across.

You also have to save popular content for possible new games too.

Last edited:

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
While it is true that criticism is necessary to develop the game, you have to remember that without the game developers, the game wouldn't exist. Besides, what's wrong with trying something new? Keeps the game interesting and makes it feel you're buying a completely different product as opposed to one with the exact same gameplay only with different characters, different stages, and better graphics.

My point is, is that game developers work hard and set aside their time to make these games. It's their job, sure, and while constructive criticism is necessary, unpredictability is also important, which is why I consider Sakurai a great developer. And since when did the customers always know best? Unless we had history in video game development, we haven't got a clue on how hard it is to develop a game. Spitting them and their work in the face isn't the best method to get a point across.

You also have to save popular content for possible new games too.
"While it is true that criticism is necessary to develop the game, you have to remember that without the game developers, the game wouldn't exist."

I have to shoot this down really quickly. Without the customers, the company nor the developers would be able to fund making the game. It all comes full circle.

There is nothing wrong with trying something new, but what if new isn't exactly better? Are you saying that the developer knows best? This is just more of the attitude that game developers should be treated nicely. It's limiting and silly. It would be a different story if the devs actually really interacted with the community besides posting little pics of the games. They don't even have a forum for smash nor do they actually post patch notes. God damn, how is not posting patch notes acceptable to you guys. I don't get that.

Top Bottom