• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up+b is a good killer.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
If my opponent air dodges it I'm screwed, the only charaters it's useful on are the heavyweights :*(

And it's kinda risky :*(

lain

Smash Master
It has good range, is unexpected almost always because of it, has MASSIVE priority (Like beating out Ike's sword big), kill at low percents, AND can combo out of Uair.

What's not to love?

:colorful:

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Sorry but I see it as a free hit on the ICs, it's kinda prdictable if you do it far away and if you do it close to your opponent, they can just dair and air dodge. But it's still a good move and mostly it works on heavyweights from my own personal matches. And it's fun spamming it in team battle xD

lain

Smash Master
Well not to be an elitist by I've been here like 2 years longer.

Point is, no one really knows how much priority it is, and that's why it's good. People think they can hit you out of it, and instead they die.

Risky, yes. But WAY more often then not I hit with it.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Yeah they can't hit you out of it that's for sure and it's funny when we hit them when they try to hug the edge but it's kinda risky if you use it in anyother situation and it's puts you from a good position to a much more worser one if you do miss :*(

Risk and Reward move =P

lain

Smash Master
Nnnnnot really.

There are definitely points where you know you can hit your opponent with it. Just don't be dumb.

Also, I'm pretty sure Uair can TRULY combo into UpB.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
It just doesn't connect for me :*(

Idk i can't really combo Belay in my moves it's just 0.o and kinda hard :*(

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Ummm okkkayyyy. Air dodge or just move out of the range, Belay hates me :*(

infomon

Smash Scientist
Point is, no one really knows how much priority it is, and that's why it's good. People think they can hit you out of it, and instead they die.
I think it counts as an aerial attack, and so doesn't have priority. At least, not intrinsic priority; it's just a function of how much Nana overlaps the opponent. That's my understanding of The Physics of Attacks, coupled with my own experience.

Since Nana is invincible during the attack, and she is the hitbox, I guess you can call that "amazingly high priority"... that's sort of a misleading way to describe it, but I guess that works.

IMO, Up-B is a good killer, but it's definitely risky; you have to be real sure you're in a good situation for it.

If your opponent is trying to hit you out of it, then they're just nub at fighting ice climbers. My opponents usually figure it out after a few matches and can consistently air-dodge my up-B finishers -- if I use it incorrectly, that is.

So instead, there are a couple situations where I find it works great:
1. they're finishing an air-dodge, so I know I can get Nana on them before they can dodge again

2. they're big enough that she'll hit them regardless :D (spacing reeeally matters)

3. they missed a tech, so they're helplessly laying on a platform above your ICs :) (still they'd better be at least at medium percent, or else they'll still recover from your up-B hit and come bac to hit you or Nana before you've landed well)

4. This one is key: if they're above you and have used a Special move that leaves them in a "flashing" falling state, so they can't dodge and just fall helplessly to the stage. ie. most characters' up-B attacks leave them helpless, and that's where Belay really scores. I don't fight ROB a lot, but I suspect this works well on him since he can't air-dodge after using up-B, even though he can still aerial-attack. Belay is not phased by aerials, since Nana's invincible :D so we just win.

lain

Smash Master
I mostly hit with this after an uair, or when my opponent is off the stage but high up. I jump towards them, and I know they they're gonna try and jump so I belay.

22222 gewdz.

Top Bottom