• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-B Charge Jump (Recovery Glitch)[Videos Yay]

okor

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I was playing some matches with a friend of mine, he was using Marth and I was using Diddy.

We were just kinda messing around and I noticed something about Diddy's Up-B.

Now, if this has been discussed before just ignore this topic, or point me in the direction of any threads about this.

Anyway, when Marth did his up smash, if I timed up-B correctly, instead of falling while charging Up-B I would continue upwards while still charging. It seems to do this with any upwards momentum. I am fairly sure what is hapening is that if you time it right and do a very short jump into the Up B using the momentum of the attack your Up B charge moves you upwards.

I tried it with Marth's up throw, up smash, and side smash and it worked fairly reliably.

I am not sure what this could be used for, but I thought it was pretty interesting. Any thoughts?

Edit: Ok, I played around with it a bit more, and basically it makes it so the charge of Diddy's Up B is turned into a jump and not only that, but if you time it right, you will float in the air while finishing the charge after the jump finishes. Using this when knocked off the edge with a side smash I was getting even more amazing recovery distance than Diddy already has. Has anyone been seeing this happen?

Edit2: Megavitamins posted this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lcm_CG9pJE

Edit3: Ok, so it seems using your second jump into Up-B after being hit is the trick from what people have been posting. The latest I could get it to work after being hit was about half-way through his flip after being hit.

Edit4:
Ok, I got a 14 dollar camera and made this video demonstrating just the charge jump, notice how it doesn't just go horizontally, but vertically as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-oY_-o3dKk

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Diddy always falls slowly while charging his Rocket Barrels (Up-B). I've never seen an instance where this isn't true. If you have a specific example when this happens, I'd certainly be interested to test it out.

ThePurpleCobra

Smash Apprentice
why would u up b after a marth upsmash? why would marth be upsmashing? anyways i think it was just your momentum from the upsmash taking u up while charging not another jump

okor

Smash Apprentice
Diddy always falls slowly while charging his Rocket Barrels (Up-B). I've never seen an instance where this isn't true. If you have a specific example when this happens, I'd certainly be interested to test it out.
It isn't falling slowly, you don't fall at all, you go straight up.

And yes, it is another jump. You jump into the Up-B after an attack with some kind of upward momentum.

And up smash is the easiest attack to test with which is why we were using it.

I<3Shiek

Smash Apprentice
It isn't falling slowly, you don't fall at all, you go straight up.

And yes, it is another jump. You jump into the Up-B after an attack with some kind of upward momentum.

And up smash is the easiest attack to test with which is why we were using it.
Sounds like you're using Diddy's Up+B while your momentum is greater going upwards then Diddy's downward momentum from his Rocket pack...

And it sounds stupid because you become locked up so he can smash you again? =/

Ruggeth

Smash Journeyman
I've had this happen to me before. Its like I was being thrown up while I was charging.

okor

Smash Apprentice
I don't have anyway to put a video on my computer, but no, it won't happen if you don't jump first.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Wow. Twilight Zone. I had this happen to me today out of near zero momentum and I was about to start a thread about it when I saw this. Anyway, I was playing Diddy vs comp today against I don't remember who, and they smashed me off othe stage. I stopped my momentum, performed my second jump, and as I was coming down out of it, I started to charge is up+b. Strangely, Diddy started to rise up and off the screen, and when I let go of b, he did a blast-off just like his normal attack. Strange indeed, but I couldn't repeat it.

EDIT: As an afterthought, the opposing character was on the other side of the stage and couldn't possibly have effected me, especially since I was coming towards the stage after a second jump.

okor

Smash Apprentice
I don't think anyone mentioned up B from on the stage?

Anyway, I was playing some matches today and this actually helped A LOT. I was knocked down off the stage and made two crazy recoveries with this technique.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I don't think anyone mentioned up B from on the stage?

Anyway, I was playing some matches today and this actually helped A LOT. I was knocked down off the stage and made two crazy recoveries with this technique.
How do you time it?

okor

Smash Apprentice
How do you time it?
I was playing against Pit I think it was and he knocked me almost straight down off the map into the range where nothing can help you. I Hit Jump than almost immediately Up-B and than there I was flying up from the depths of no return and made it back to the stage. So, I really don't know how this works now, considering being knocked down doesn't give you any up momentum.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I was playing against Pit I think it was and he knocked me almost straight down off the map into the range where nothing can help you. I Hit Jump than almost immediately Up-B and than there I was flying up from the depths of no return and made it back to the stage. So, I really don't know how this works now, considering being knocked down doesn't give you any up momentum.
I'll give it a shot later thanks. People are starting to find some more stuff in brawl!

I won't believe it unless I see it. :laugh:
It is quite real, and it doesn't look like a jump. He rises at a constant speed. Really interesting though.

Robiin

Smash Cadet
Diddy for top tier! xD

Sounds like a cool trick. As I understand it, you keep going upwards until you let go of up-b? That could make you able to recover from really really far away! Hopw some people try this so we can time it and explore this awesome trick!!

Luigi player

Smash Master
Sounds nice! So you're doing your second jump and while going up you hold upB and still go upwards while charging? Pretty cool ^^

Curse marke Sasuke

Smash Rookie
Anyway, when Marth did his up smash, if I timed up-B correctly, instead of falling while charging Up-B I would continue upwards while still charging. It seems to do this with any upwards momentum. I am fairly sure what is hapening is that if you time it right and do a very short jump into the Up B using the momentum of the attack your Up B charge moves you upwards.

I tried it with Marth's up throw, up smash, and side smash and it worked fairly reliably.

I am not sure what this could be used for, but I thought it was pretty interesting. Any thoughts?
I'm pretty sure Marth can't float and use his up-smash or throws while off of the stage.
Also, in this quote your using you up-B while on the stage.

okor

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure Marth can't float and use his up-smash or throws while off of the stage.
Also, in this quote your using you up-B while on the stage.
No one said anything about Marth floating and grabbing off the stage. o.O

And I didn't say anything about Up-Bing from on the stage in that quote. O.o

okor

Smash Apprentice
I've been trying it for a bit and I can't seem to repeat it...
I really wish I had some way to put a video up. ><

Try having Marth get you to 50ish% than side smash you off the stage. Just before you start falling, jump into an Up-B.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
It works on the pokemon stage when the have the windmills pushsing you up. Maybe its the gravity thats doing it?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Are we really willing to sacrifice the side+b for this? The amount of field we cover with his combined B moves is probably much more than the amount covered with this technique.

I don't know about you guys...but I like having a b move that makes me fly horizontally, then another that sends me far vertically.

RockBarrelBlast

Smash Rookie
Are we really willing to sacrifice the side+b for this? The amount of field we cover with his combined B moves is probably much more than the amount covered with this technique.

I don't know about you guys...but I like having a b move that makes me fly horizontally, then another that sends me far vertically.
yes but couldn't you save your second jump after the side b, then use your jump and the upb? I'm not sure if this would work though. :ohwell:

okor

Smash Apprentice

Side+B doesn't help you at all with vertical recovery.

Top Bottom