• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Plus, Sakurai said that echoes can't have different body types. That's the biggest reason Isabelle is an original fighter. Link, Young Link, and Toon Link's body types are way too different to work.
To add on to this, the Link's movesets and properties are pretty different. So different in fact that Toon Link and Link are both pretty good but Young Link is one of the best characters in the game

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Another unpopular opinion: Bayonetta ISN'T a 3rd party character anymore she is an adopted 1st/2nd party character and weirdly enough I feel she fits in pretty well with Nintendo's own characters. She gets too much hate for being "broken" but her games are fantastic and think they are some of the best action games of all time that people should definitely try out.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
i disagree. it was explained pretty clearly that echos dont take up space on the roster and is just reused assist with minor changes to include as much content as possible without spending too much time. hence why they dont its numbered that way, young link and toon link do NOT count as echos since they have different moves that differs from the original character, with different properties. echos have the same frame data, properties, moves etc. only animations and voices are different but there has been special cases, like chrom.
Yeah and that’s fine. Clones are cool with me 100%. The more the merrier as far as I’m concerned. I just don’t like the label at all. It muddies things up.

For instance, one of the neatest parts about this game is how they’re really reflecting on Smash’s history by acknowledging the order all of the character debuted. Awesome. But then I see how Lucina is listed next to Marth and other Melee vets, rather than Robin (who she literally debuted with) simply because she’s similar to him. When Dr. Mario debuted, he was as cloney as they come. Way moreso than Ken or Chrom, who have multiple unique moves and final smashes. Yet he’s not listed next to Mario. Obviously the reason being that he’s been distinguished overtime, but he sure wasn’t unique when they debuted. You see why I find this to be a sloppy distinction? It makes sense. I just don’t like it all.

D

Deleted member

Yeah and that’s fine. Clones are cool with me 100%. The more the merrier as far as I’m concerned. I just don’t like the label at all. It muddies things up.

For instance, one of the neatest parts about this game is how they’re really reflecting on Smash’s history by acknowledging the order all of the character debuted. Awesome. But then I see how Lucina is listed next to Marth and other Melee vets, rather than Robin (who she literally debuted with) simply because she’s similar to him. When Dr. Mario debuted, he was as cloney as they come. Way moreso than Ken or Chrom, who have multiple unique moves and final smashes. Yet he’s not listed next to Mario. Obviously the reason being that he’s been distinguished overtime, but he sure wasn’t unique when they debuted. You see why I find this to be a sloppy distinction? It makes sense. I just don’t like it all.
Yeah it starts to get messy. But then, I think Sakurai was kind of backed into a corner because if he hadn't emphasized that they "don't take up character slots", we'd have had people mad about how such and such character didn't make it in the game because we got such and such clones instead.

Although there is some messiness to it, the result was that just about everyone seemed to react very positively to echo fighters, and for the Smash community, that's like a miracle.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Again, the changes Smash 4 made to Dr. Mario and Roy were short-term gains, long-term losses for the characters.

Had they not had barebones efforts declone them, they could've been considered Echo Fighters and it all would be water under the bridge for those two... (or alternatively, had the decloning efforts not been so barebones, they'd be worthy characters in their own right)

okay, Roy would still be a tad awkward, if only because "gee, Marth, Sakurai let you have THREE echo fighters?"

Another unpopular opinion: Bayonetta ISN'T a 3rd party character anymore she is an adopted 1st/2nd party character and weirdly enough I feel she fits in pretty well with Nintendo's own characters. She gets too much hate for being "broken" but her games are fantastic and think they are some of the best action games of all time that people should definitely try out.
While I don't think Bayonetta fits in well with Nintendo's characters to the letter, she certainly fits in with Nintendo's characters in spirit.

I say the same for Snake and Cloud.

This isn't an opinion. It's simply incorrect.
The Golden Rule: NO CRITICIZING OTHER POSTERS' OPINIONS. This is NOT a debate thread. Do not post on here if you're going to attack/debate someone for their opinion. If you disagree with somebody and can't follow this rule, I will be upset, and that's probably the worst thing you can do on here (plus I'll totally tell on you and report).

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Again, the changes Smash 4 made to Dr. Mario and Roy were short-term gains, long-term losses for the characters.

Had they not had barebones efforts declone them, they could've been considered Echo Fighters and it all would be water under the bridge for those two...

okay, Roy would still be a tad awkward, if only because "gee, Marth, Sakurai let you have THREE echo fighters?"

While I don't think Bayonetta fits in well with Nintendo's characters to the letter, she certainly fits in with Nintendo's characters in spirit.

This goes along with a personal opinion I have with Sakurai on veterans.
He's way, WAY too afraid of alienating fans. He'll keep the foundation for a character for as LONG as he can because he doesn't want fans of the character playstyle to be alienated.

He'll tweak and tweak and tweak, but never EVER revamp a character, and frankly that's really disappointing as someone who loves to see characters change to reflect their current incarnations. So many weird things get grandfathered throughout the Smashes for no discernable reason.

Hell, if Marth started off as a Link clone, I'm pretty sure we'd still see him flinging bombs and boomerangs and that fans would still manage to justify it somehow.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

Had they not had barebones efforts declone them, they could've been considered Echo Fighters and it all would be water under the bridge for those two...

I didn't criticize an opinion.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This goes along with a personal opinion I have with Sakurai on veterans.
He's way, WAY too afraid of alienating fans. He'll keep the foundation for a character for as LONG as he can because he doesn't want fans of the character playstyle to be alienated.

He'll tweak and tweak and tweak, but never EVER revamp a character, and frankly that's really disappointing as someone who loves to see characters change to reflect their current incarnations. So many weird things get grandfathered throughout the Smashes for no discernable reason.

Hell, if Marth started off as a Link clone, I'm pretty sure we'd still see him flinging bombs and boomerangs and that fans would still manage to justify it somehow.
I doubt that's the only reason. When dealing with so many characters at once "don't fix what's not broken" is not a bad strategy. It saves time from stuff that's already in and allows more resources to new content.

GhostYB

Smash Apprentice

yea, tbh at first it didnt make sense to me and i found it odd but then i realized why its like that. i personally dont feel anything towards echos and how they effect the roster but i can see why people arent fond of it. i respect it.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I really don't like the notion that series need obligatory reps simply for being relevant/popular, and I don't like the idea that some series absolutely must have more reps than another. Mario always having the most fighters is the perfect example. Even if Mario is the world's #1 best seller and is Nintendo's brain child or whatever, we shouldn't be proliferating the Mario roster simply because (no I'm not complaining about Piranha Plant). We should be adding characters to Smash not out of obligation, but because they would be cool and awesome in the game and be a great addition. Even if that means another series has more fighters than Mario or Pokemon or something. This logic would mean we would have lots of more hype and creative additions, like Rosalina, and less fighters who were added simply out obligation (and no I'm not complaining about Incineroar either).

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, didn't think I'd come back for another share of unpopular opinions. Oh well...
1.- Hating guest characters so adamantly because "I want Nintendo stuff" is a really ludicrous idea. Like, come on! There's currently only 10 guest characters out of 75 (about 13% of the full roster) in the game so far, and somehow people think they ruin the Nintendo feel? Lord help those guys if all five DLC characters were not-Nintendo (which is still too little proportion-wise)...
And speaking of guests...
2.- Yeah, I actually don't know if I'm interested in any more Nintendo characters after November's Great Purge. Isaac, Ray, Rex, Spring Man, Skull Kid, Black Knight; all shared the same fate. I know I didn't care about most of those characters (and in the case for some of those, I outright wanted them not to be in the game), but in the end, those were the poster boys for what Nintendo could offer, and now, what's left? The predictable promotional characters for Pokémon and Fire Emblem, Sylux, and whatever characters that weren't found among the datamined spirit list (and even then, with the new Pikachu and Eevee spirits for LGPE buyers, we know there's more to them than what we know); pretty boring (and depressing in a way) if you ask me.
Now, despite this, if won't whine if any Nintendo character shows up in the Pass, not even if they're from Fire Emblem. I know that it's their game after all and I accept that.
3.- I don't know if I should even consider this as an unpopular opinion at all, but doesn't anyone else feel like hype for highly requested characters dies pretty quickly? I mean, people loved Mega Man, Little Mac and Pac-Man when they were all announced in the last game, but soon enough many would pretend they were just there without any sort of care for them. Same here, you'd think the Inklings, Ridley, Simon, Dark Samus, K. Rool and every single veteran back would make everyone excited, yet it feels like many just forgot about them and moved on to other interests.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Poochy being absent from the Spirits is just as much of a big deal as Sylux and Porky
Personally, I think none of them a big deal at all, considering Eevee and Pikachu have their own Let's Go spirits, Pikachu's one being different from his fighter spirit, but not a variation.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
3.- I don't know if I should even consider this as an unpopular opinion at all, but doesn't anyone else feel like hype for highly requested characters dies pretty quickly? I mean, people loved Mega Man, Little Mac and Pac-Man when they were all announced in the last game, but soon enough many would pretend they were just there without any sort of care for them. Same here, you'd think the Inklings, Ridley, Simon, Dark Samus, K. Rool and every single veteran back would make everyone excited, yet it feels like many just forgot about them and moved on to other interests.
I absolutely agree. This was especially ridiculous after Incineroar’s announcement. So many people were suddenly complaining that Sakurai doesn’t care about his fans and is just doing whatever he wants. Completely ignoring that he added possibly the biggest ballot pick with King K. Rool. As well as one of the greatest requests since Brawl, with Ridley. While also being able to cram a ton of Splatoon and Castlevania content into the game, which were also both huge requests. Additionally, people ignore how immensely popular Isabelle is with Nintendo fans simply because she wasn’t a big name with the Smash fanbase. And with every single veteran returning as well as the handful of echoes...how on Earth could someone say Sakurai doesn’t care about his fans?

So yeah, I do wish people appreciated Sakurai’s character choices a bit more. Because I honestly think he absolutely nailed it.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I absolutely agree. This was especially ridiculous after Incineroar’s announcement. So many people were suddenly complaining that Sakurai doesn’t care about his fans and is just doing whatever he wants. Completely ignoring that he added possibly the biggest ballot pick with King K. Rool. As well as one of the greatest requests since Brawl, with Ridley. While also being able to cram a ton of Splatoon and Castlevania content into the game, which were also both huge requests. Additionally, people ignore how immensely popular Isabelle is with Nintendo fans simply because she wasn’t a big name with the Smash fanbase. And with every single veteran returning as well as the handful of echoes...how on Earth could someone say Sakurai doesn’t care about his fans?

So yeah, I do wish people appreciated Sakurai’s character choices a bit more. Because I honestly think he absolutely nailed it.
...I think you're absolutely right here. It's the old adage — "wanting is better than having".

UserKev

Smash Champion

Ridley is the biggest fan service character of all time, no doubt. For Ridley, it took many scenarios to make the character playable. Ridley is close to always have the most controversy and relevancy in speculation.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Unpopular opinion: Smash needs to be an anime.

Yes, I know it won't be happening any time and might never be, considering that I'm talking about real anime. But the trailer of Splatoon 2's version 4, while it was in 3D, it did look 'anime' due to the animations in 3D. At least this shows that Nintendo seems willing to do things that looks like 'anime'.

But this needs to be a reality...

osby

Smash Obsessed
Unpopular opinion: Smash needs to be an anime.

Yes, I know it won't be happening any time and might never be, considering that I'm talking about real anime. But the trailer of Splatoon 2's version 4, while it was in 3D, it did look 'anime' due to the animations in 3D. At least this shows that Nintendo seems willing to do things that looks like 'anime'.

But this needs to be a reality...
3D animation and 2D animation are completely different things.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
1.- Hating guest characters so adamantly because "I want Nintendo stuff" is a really ludicrous idea. Like, come on! There's currently only 10 guest characters out of 75 (about 13% of the full roster) in the game so far, and somehow people think they ruin the Nintendo feel? Lord help those guys if all five DLC characters were not-Nintendo (which is still too little proportion-wise)...
Some guest reps are annoying (IMO) because they totally bend what Smash and Nintendo are about. Bayonetta is literally a witch who kills angels and strips herself to attack, and because she's canonically really powerful they couldn't not make her powerful in Smash. I don't like her character, her inclusion, or the way she works.

Some people just don't like guests because they're special cases. I don't like Ryu, Cloud, or Sonic's inclusions for the same reason I don't like Bayo.

And with all of guests we have, it's really annoying to see people treat Smash like the sky is the limit and therefore literally any character can be a fighter because of their inclusions.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
As a "competitive fighting game", Smash is really boring.

I hope all of the DLC characters are 3rd parties. There are no Nintendo characters left that really excite me, tbh.

Honestly, I'd argue that NOT wanting more FE characters in Smash is more unpopular than wanting more in. The people who don't want more FE characters in Smash always seemed to be a vocal minority, and there always seems to be more people defending the inclusion of such a large number of FE characters, as well as actively requesting more (heck, some people even want that new axe girl from Three Houses, and that game isn't even out).

We don't need more weapon types in Smash. We just need the current weapon users that we have to have more inspired move-sets. Seriously, a lot of the swords in this game are uninspired asf, and a lot of their move-sets are incredibly similar. Heck, look at how Gandorf basically just stole Ike's f-smash, and Cloud's d-smash, or how Shulk's up-special is just a glorified dolphin slash.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
A lot of that is because the competators strip away everything that makes Smash interesting.
I agree. I never understood how people could play Smash, but just boil things to just a few of the safest & blandest stages with no items. Smash items with items are honestly way more hype than ones without them.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Well, didn't think I'd come back for another share of unpopular opinions. Oh well...
Nah man. I've re-watched those characters trailers several times a week and played a bunch of their games in anticipation for release... i'm currently binging the Donkey Kong Country series because of K. Rool hype and I did similar for Sonic and Little Mac

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Smash was never meant to be competitive. It's supposed to be a party game. People turn it into a competitive scene and this is how we end up.
"As a competitive fighting game, Smash is really boring?" We all have opinions, bud. I consider Street Fighter to have some of the most dullest stages and characters.

D

Deleted member

You're definitely not wrong...however I feel like I'm still just thrilled Mewtwo made it back. I wanted him back more than anything else....and I'm so happy he seems to be here to stay. For me, Smash would definitely feel incomplete without him.

After he returned, I really wanted Ivysaur to return as well as Daisy to be in. Wish granted! I'm just super ecstatic they're in Ultimate, so anything else now is another cherry on top. Let's not forget how amazing it is that we've got certain characters in the game right now! You'll miss them when they're gone.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Some guest reps are annoying (IMO) because they totally bend what Smash and Nintendo are about. Bayonetta is literally a witch who kills angels and strips herself to attack, and because she's canonically really powerful they couldn't not make her powerful in Smash. I don't like her character, her inclusion, or the way she works.

Some people just don't like guests because they're special cases. I don't like Ryu, Cloud, or Sonic's inclusions for the same reason I don't like Bayo.

And with all of guests we have, it's really annoying to see people treat Smash like the sky is the limit and therefore literally any character can be a fighter because of their inclusions.
I'm confused on your criteria a bit... Bayonetta is for all intensive purposes, a Nintendo character at this point like an Eternal Darkness rep would be. I think she's probably the least offensive Nintendo third party as she just is an absorbed Nintendo character it seems to me.

Like, what defines bending what Smash is and Nintendo being about? Cause Nintendo has been pretty far from family friendly if that's the issue... And then how does Sonic seem out of place, but Snake fit with Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom