• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I'm getting sick and tired of people always saying that characters like Banjo/Kazooie, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Bayonetta, and mother******* ******** **** *** Geno, have the GREATEST chances at being DLC. I have no problem with people wanting 3rd parties unless your my friend who wants goshdarn Sly Cooper in Smash

But I hate it when they say just because they have votes in the ballot, they should take priority over 1st party characters. Even if they are the most popular, there are other factors that need to be considered. Most of those choices don't even have a good reason to be in Smash.

Pariahus

Smash Rookie
I wish super armor was just gone from this game i feel its a bad mechanic and i hate it

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Probably an unpopular opinion: Screw all the new characters.

Most of them are campy, annoying to fight, and slow down the game. Out of the new characters, I personally don't like fighting (parenthesis are extra annoying):
:4bowserjr: :4duckhunt: :4littlemac: :4megaman: :4miigun: :4palutena: ((((:4pacman:)))) :4robinm: (((:rosalina:))) :4shulk: ((:4villager:)) :4wiifit:
Literally the only new character I enjoy fighting is :4greninja:

Lots of Brawl characters are annoying as hell too: :4charizard: :4dedede: :4lucario: :4metaknight: ((((:4olimar:)))) :4rob: ((((:4sonic:)))) (:4tlink:) (((:4wario2:))) :4zss:

The only annoying Melee and 64 characters are: (:4luigi:) ((:4mario:)) :4ganondorf: :4kirby: (:4link:) :4ness: (((((:4yoshi:))))) :4zelda:

See? It's getting more annoying and campy each new game. Melee characters gets props for being the least annoying.

Edit: EVERY DITTO is annoying too.

No one tell me I think they are annoying because I can't fight them. I know a lot about all the characters, know how to fight them, beat them, and they are still pests.

Last edited:

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I don't really like Master Core as a concept. It's a fun and intense boss fight, sure, but its presence as the true final boss of Classic mode makes Master Hand and Crazy Hand seem irrelevant. The fact that it was mentioned so casually in the 50-fact Direct last fall, plus that it's relatively easy to get to that battle, hammers the point in extra-hard for me.

I was also gonna bring up how I don't really care about Lucas, Geno, and Roy, but you guys seem to have those bases covered. >_>

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Most of them are campy, annoying to fight, and slow down the game. Out of the new characters, I personally don't like fighting (parenthesis are extra annoying):
:4bowserjr: :4duckhunt: :4littlemac: :4megaman: :4miigun: :4palutena: ((((:4pacman:)))) :4robinm: (((:rosalina:))) :4shulk: ((:4villager:)) :4wiifit:

Lots of Brawl characters are annoying as hell too: :4charizard: :4dedede: :4lucario: :4metaknight: ((((:4olimar:)))) :4rob: ((((:4sonic:)))) (:4tlink:) (((:4wario2:))) :4zss:

The only annoying Melee and 64 characters are: (:4luigi:) ((:4mario:)) :4ganondorf: :4kirby: (:4link:) :4ness: (((((:4yoshi:))))) :4zelda:

See? It's getting more annoying and campy each new game. Melee characters gets props for being the least annoying.

No one tell me I think they are annoying because I can't fight them. I know a lot about all the characters, know how to fight them, beat them, and they are still pests.
That's literally more than half the roster

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I wish super armor was just gone from this game i feel its a bad mechanic and i hate it
If super armor was gone characters like Ganondorf and Bowser would cease to be useful at all.
The only character that I could see super armor being unfair with is Little Mac...but even then one should be avoiding Mac's Smashes rather than overpowering them.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
If super armor was gone characters like Ganondorf and Bowser would cease to be useful at all.
The only character that I could see super armor being unfair with is Little Mac...but even then one should be avoiding Mac's Smashes rather than overpowering them.
I don't think Bowser has any super armour. I thought he just had a lot of partial invincibility.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603

That's a little... um... it's... well you see... I... I don't even know how to respond to this

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Partial invincibility = super armor. If you're thinking of something else I apologize. Pretty sure that's still classified as super armor.
Not true. With Super Armor you take damage (Charizard's rock thing). With Partial Invincibility parts of your body/hurtbox cannot be hit (Mario's Usmash). With Invincibility you are completely invincible (Marth's Dolphin Slash).

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Defensive zoners are infinitely more fun than top-tier speedsters.

Come at me, bro, I've got walls and stalls to last 'til doomsday!

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
It's to prevent him from being ridiculously easy to gimp. No third jump so he needed it.

He's had it since pre-Smash 4 to balance him in past games too.
Right but he has the best aerial mobility and his up B is actually a 3rd jump now. Combine these two things and the fact that no one was buffed more than him (on paper) I'd be okay if he didn't have that dumb combo breaker jump.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
As much as I like my main man, :4falcon:, I wish F-Zero received Goroh or someone unique as a new fighter for F-Zero. I just want F-Zero representation that isn't Captain Falcon.

Pariahus

Smash Rookie
Why is super armor bad then? You take damage unlike invincibility....
When you connect a hit on someone in super armor it is not interrupted, No ground attack i've seen can stagger someone in super armor, including smashes, turning bad attacks into gimmicks and fooling people into thinking they are useful, i'm not sure i'm effectively communicating my feelings on super armor though...
As much as I like my main man, :4falcon:, I wish F-Zero received Goroh or someone unique as a new fighter for F-Zero. I just want F-Zero representation that isn't Captain Falcon.
As an f-zero fan i have to agree, his racer in the games is one of the worst and while i know hes the protagonist of the anime i really wish my favorite racing games got some more representation in smash and on the wii u(Give us another f-zero game nintendo! preferrably without abusable glitches like snaking.)

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I can get behind this. Hyrule Warriors gave us a perfect Ganondorf, so if they ever gave him that moveset, there's a heavy, dark magic-based, slow Falcon-esque moveset available...

I can definitely think of a Black Shadow who could use it...

MalcolmFlex

Smash Cadet
Can anybody tell me why Wolf was removed and why a character as insanely popular as Skull Kid from an insanely popular game hasn't been added to the roster yet?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can anybody tell me why Wolf was removed and why a character as insanely popular as Skull Kid from an insanely popular game hasn't been added to the roster yet?
Well, Wolf was probably due to time restraints. I bet he'll be back for DLC.

As for Skull Kid, it may be due to bad luck and general lack of importance to the series overall.

He didn't have the stars align for him like :4sheik: or the sheer importance and popularity of :4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4tlink:.
He was just born at the wrong time.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I believe footstooling should have never existed. It is too sensitive, happens by accident all the time. Off stage intentional footstool setups are cool. Accidental off-stage is not. But how about on stage? I can't stand them on stage because when I get an accidental footstool on someone or someone's shield (even more likely since shield is so big) I am all the way near the upper blast-zone as if I was hit there and now I have to play the landing and possible juggling game. It's just really stupid. They should have either had no footstooling or a slighly less sensitive type that doesn't work on shield (like in PM).

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'm sad Duck Hunt's taunts aren't more over-the-top.

And that no one else got a damage taunt like Luigi.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I have a theory about the creation design of Rosalina. I think Sakurai designed this character with consideration/expectations that 8 year old girls will most likely pick Rosalina. The whole ideology of Smash is for everyone of all skill level to be able to have fun and Sakurai wants these little girls who try Rosalina to have a chance to win by making Rosalina really easy to be a brick wall. In essence, I believe at its core, Rosalina's design goal was to be a children friendly bizarrely strong character to give little girls a chance to win against older folks. The byproduct issue is when an actual skilled player picks up this character designed for little girls.

Rosalina is a VERY high floor, extremely high ceiling character. I don't deny there's a lot of difficult technical things Rosalina players have at their disposal to master and the road that separates the floor to the ceiling is extremely steep. But Rosalina is already a super strong character with amazing tools to begin with and she just becomes scary when picked up by people other than 8 year old girls as intended.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Sm4sh Mewtwo isn't as bad as people are making him out to be. At worst, he's a solid mid-tier with at least some tournament potential. I just really hope he gets customs.

Heavy characters in general need to be reworked almost completely. They're terrible in every game except for Melee Ganon I guess. Do what PMDT did to Bowser, Zard, etc. It bothers me how an entire weight class is so inviable.

Troykv

Smash Master
Sm4sh Mewtwo isn't as bad as people are making him out to be. At worst, he's a solid mid-tier with at least some tournament potential. I just really hope he gets customs.

Heavy characters in general need to be reworked almost completely. They're terrible in every game except for Melee Ganon I guess. Do what PMDT did to Bowser, Zard, etc. It bothers me how an entire weight class is so inviable.
I believe that people only think that Mewtwo is bad because his weight.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
You can't be big, light, and floaty. Rosa makes it work only because of Luma.

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110

King Dedede and DK beg to differ.

The fact that Bowser's side taunt doesn't do damage annoys me.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
King Dedede and DK beg to differ.

The fact that Bowser's side taunt doesn't do damage annoys me.
Yeah, I was actually gonna bring up DDD; probably the best one in the weight class. I have a similar view on DK as I do Mewtwo; Not super top tier, but has a ton of potential especially if customs are allowed.

The Bowser taunt is so fun in PM lol.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
No one anywhere enjoys any of the items other than the Pokeballs, assist trophies, and the Smash Ball.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I can't really garner love nor hate to Royu.
I don't hate them, but I'm not hyped for them either; I'm just okay.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Still not excited about Roy's inclusion. A change in his appearance doesn't change the fact that three nearly-identical Marth clones seems excessive, and having five Fire Emblem characters (as many as Zelda, one of Nintendo's A-listers) is overkill.

Xanthous

Smash Cadet
I think these posts prove that "I'm not hyped for Roy" is not a very unpopular opinion.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think these posts prove that "I'm not hyped for Roy" is not a very unpopular opinion.
I don't think any "I'm not hyped for/hate the inclusion of *insert clone character here* " is a particularly unpopular opinion....

Eh as for my unpopular opinion. I don't really care all that much about this whole "rep" talk as I think it's more or less clear at this point that the dev's won't let this dictate too much which characters they include into the games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom