• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Palutena is the best newcomer in the history of Smash. I would rather we get Palutena than any other character, up to and including Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac and Mewtwo.

That being said, I still support Ridley. And all of the others mentioned above, but they're either confirmed or are less controversial.

Default Palutena is a good character when you get used to her playstyle.

Pit is an interesting and well-written character.

I prefer Lucina over Marth in every way, though I quite like Marth to begin with.

Dark Pit is a perfectly justifiable choice, considering he took little to no dev time and does nothing to diminish the roster.

I don't think Diddy is at all broken.

I like the "I'm really feeling it!" gag.

I prefer female Robin, but acknowledge that male Robin is an equally valid preference.

I hope Sakurai directs the next Smash.

Smash 4 is the best Smash.

Melee is okay, not great.

FreshYarn43

Smash Rookie
NNID
beeftaco
I think all customs should be allowed. If nintendo put them in the game, they intended for them to be used in competetive play. Nintendo knew what it was doing when they put in customs, and I trust that they are all as legit as possible.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Mostly don't use these control schemes anymore, but while I was waiting to get a gamecube adapter, I was doing just fine with wii mote + nunchuck/gamepad. (Never could get use to a classic controller for some reason)

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Coin Battles are by far the most fun mode in Super Smash Bros, period.

Dark Pit is pretty dang cool, and I am OK with him being in the roster.

Killager should be SS tier.

Pirate Ship should have been brought back.

Sonic needs to stop.

Anybody who says they need to make a P:M out of Smash4 is an idiot, and quite frankly, ungrateful as hell.

The GameCube controller is becoming irrelevant and people should learn to adapt to new controllers already.

Lucina's personality (and face) is absolutely nothing like how it is in FE:A. And that upsets me.

Meta Knight isn't that bad.

Unless we start utilizing customs, Smash4 will be dead within months after the new one comes out.

Last edited:

XxSmashM4sterxX

Smash Cadet
Except you are actually a troll.

>Recently joined
>Mains every top tier character
>Name

Yeah, get out.
Wow, don't you feel cool using ad hominem attacks and internet buzzwords to make someone feel bad. Nice try buddy, this thread isn't called "Insult others to make you feel less bad about yourself", it's for voicing opinions that people would normally scream and cry and rage about in any other thread.

Cya

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
But guys, XxSmashM4sterxX doesn't main all the top characters. He doesn't have Diddy for Smash 4 or Mewtwo for PM.

trollface.jpg

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
I wish Ness' moves were more pertaining to him in EarthBound, instead of giving him moves that he never even had.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Wow, don't you feel cool using ad hominem attacks and internet buzzwords to make someone feel bad. Nice try buddy, this thread isn't called "Insult others to make you feel less bad about yourself", it's for voicing opinions that people would normally scream and cry and rage about in any other thread.

Cya
Re-read what I wrote and you'll see that I, in no way, attacked your opinion. I called you out as a troll but not because you dislike a high-tier character such as Diddy Kong (which is actually a popular opinion) AND a low tier one like Charizard. I thought I made that clear and even presented evidence towards my statement. If you would like to continue this discussion, PM me, I don't want to bother other users.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I would be immensely happy if we got back every veteran and every stage and every item and every piece of music back.

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
Unpopular opinions huh? I probably have a few.
  • People say Marth and Meta Knight are so bad in this game...I really don't agree.
  • On the other side of the spectrum, I don't think Diddy is the big deal so many make him out to be.
  • Not much substance for this one, but a majority of those wanting a Tales character wanted Lloyd Irving in. I disagree completely, and would much prefer Asbel Lhant. People seem to forget Tales of Graces saw it's original release with Nintendo on the Wii.
  • Smash 4 in my opinion is much superior to Melee, which after going back to it a few times recently was..alright, but not great. Certainly not on the levels of hype it's given, again, in my opinion. Not to mention how horribly unbalanced it is.
  • Tier lists are dumb. It all comes down to character preferences and shouldn't be seen as a go-to character quality list that too many let influence their choice (further skewing the "list"). Mind you, this is my opinion of all tier lists, not just in Smash. The fact it's called a "tier list" doesn't help, since tiers in this sense are akin to ranks, rather than the "Tourney-preference-chart" these actually are. To me tier lists are redundant. If you wanna see who gets more use you can look at videos.
  • Lack of wavedashing is a good thing, and multiple air dodges and the dodging in general is fine, just attack between them, it's not an ultimate be-all-end-all defense.
  • Pichu should come back, it'd be hilarious. Heck, I'd use him.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I think all customs should be allowed. If nintendo put them in the game, they intended for them to be used in competetive play. Nintendo knew what it was doing when they put in customs, and I trust that they are all as legit as possible.

I feel like customs make the game wayyyyy to complex. I mean holy crap I couldn't keep up with it. I'd just end up looking up a good set for a character and not even bother wasting my time with experimentation.

I don't think nintendo likes competitive play but added for glory mode for people who wanted 1v1 so bad.

I really hate customs. it would simply get too crazy. Don't even get me started on equipment. It wouldn't be fair.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Planet Zebes was my favorite stage in 64. I prefer it to Brinstar.

The Yoshi's Story Beta at E3 2001 was much better than the final design. (I have it as a custom stage if anyone wants it when stage sharing becomes possible.)

75M isn't THAT bad once the fighting moves to the top and top-right segments. (The lower left and center are indeed terrible though.)

Default Palutena is a good character when you get used to her playstyle.
This. I took up Default Palutena in order to counter all the Mega Spam (Metal Blade, Crash Bomb, Metal Blade, Crash Bomb, five minutes straight. Ugh.) and I've done surprisingly well for myself. I've even been able to beat out Diddy quite a few times with her!

Speaking of Diddy, though I acknowledge that he is a problem, Shiek is a MUCH more irritating, broken, and all-around brain-dead character than him, and it baffles me why we hardly see any complaints about her.

Last edited:

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
Unpopular opinions? I DEFINITELY have some
  • I LOVE Pac-Land
  • Completing Sm4sh was definitely easier than completing melee for me (I mean collecting all trophies and finishing all challenges and all modes as every character)
  • Although I love l-cancelling from melee, I feel its overpowered in 64, and I don't mind it being absent from the sequels
  • Sm4sh rest > Melee rest
  • Squirtle is love, Squirtle is life
  • We need more playable pokemon characters that ARE NOT from gen 1
  • I'm still confused as to why c. falcon is 4th on the tier in 64 and not AT LEAST second (I sort of understand PIkachu's spot)

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
Oh, another one that's likely unpopular. Though the control I use probably 95+% of the time is the GC pad, the Wii U Gamepad is a perfectly good control method, and for convenience (small room, so it kept me turning around back and forth to type at my computer) was the only one I used for a short while. I set the controls to how I have the 3DS one set and I don't feel it negatively impacted my play compared to the GC pad at all, though of course for me the GC pad is the more ergonomic/comfortable choice.

And on the 3DS note, it's a perfectly good Smash game. I don't see it as inferior to the Wii U one aside from perhaps a few stages and lack of events and such, but the core gameplay is essentially the same, so yeah. Besides, Smash Run > Smash Tour any day, though I can't see many disagreements there.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
To date, I love every stage in Smash Bros. I may have favorites but I can't find a reason to hate any of them.

:4mario:'s Waluigi alt was a nice nod to TTYD but I still miss his inverted costume.

I don't take For Glory seriously.

Ever since I bought 64 off of Wii Shop, it receives as much play as Sm4sh.

Which leads me to: 64 = Melee = Sm4sh > Brawl

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I think the people telling us to "let go" of the GC controller need to take a long, hard look at the other control options and realize that that layout is older. (PlayStation Dualshock 1: 1999. GameCube: 2001. And if we're talking the general buttons, Super NES: 1991.) They're being hypocrites by demanding we "let go of the past".

CC9EE6A7-5B26-4E58-AF49-74D3A02827F5.JPG

hey guys look at the brand new Wii U Pro Controller

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
To date, I love every stage in Smash Bros. I may have favorites but I can't find a reason to hate any of them.

:4mario:'s Waluigi alt was a nice nod to TTYD but I still miss his inverted costume.

I don't take For Glory seriously.

Ever since I bought 64 off of Wii Shop, it receives as much play as Sm4sh.

Which leads me to: 64 = Melee = Sm4sh > Brawl
I think his "inverted" costume is actually a Jumpman reference.

TrollheartBlue

Smash Rookie
  • I think the 3DS is the superior controller for Smash and is the best since the N64 controller.
  • I don't think the meta has developed enough to introduce customs. Until people stop whining about Diddy, and start winning the meta will not be developed.
  • I believe all of the competitive and spectator issues can be solved by removing roll & shield from Sma4sh. Seriously, try a friendlies games with that action not mapped in the controls and tell me it isn't more fun.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I think the Smash community, in general, in every game of the series, has absolutely no idea what game balancing is, what a healthy metagame means, what being competitive actually entails, why things get banned, how things get banned, and are generally scared of their own shadow for fear that it might "disrupt the meta".

Last edited:

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
I think the Smash community, in general, in every game of the series, has absolutely no idea what game balancing is, what a healthy metagame means, what being competitive actually entails, why things get banned, how things get banned, and are generally scared of their own shadow for fear that it might "disrupt the meta".
So what you're saying is,
LEGALIZE POKEFLOATS

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
^I approve of this action.
1. I like whip ZSS more than kicky ZSS2.I think sheik will fall rather than rise over diddy and friends in the future of smash 44. screw lucas, bring back ivysaur!5. i think the dev team could learn a thing or to from the project m dev team.(seriously, i wish tat din's fire was in smash 4 so bad)6. i like the pro controller.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
^I approve of this action.
1. I like whip ZSS more than kicky ZSS2.I think sheik will fall rather than rise over diddy and friends in the future of smash 44. screw lucas, bring back ivysaur!5. i think the dev team could learn a thing or to from the project m dev team.(seriously, i wish tat din's fire was in smash 4 so bad)6. i like the pro controller.
I'll agree I like the pro controller alot. I have a new first world problem, where is the pro controller charger. It lasts so long.

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think Smash is an overrated series. I still think games like Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Street Fighter Alpha 3 are better fighting games.I think Smash attracts a huge fan base that don't play other fighting games. I also think it's unbalanced and I hate the tournament scene for this game. That said, I still love SSB4.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I honestly think Smash is an overrated series. I still think games like Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Street Fighter Alpha 3 are better fighting games.I think Smash attracts a huge fan base that don't play other fighting games. I also think it's unbalanced and I hate the tournament scene for this game. That said, I still love SSB4.

I think you are right about the fan base. I don't like fighting games myself besides smash. Its different than any other type of fighting game.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
one really can't compare traditional fighting games to smash IMo mostly because smash has really diverged into a completely different kind of game altogether. That said I enjoy both traditional fighters like SFIII: Third strike and Blazblue as well as Smash and have an equal ammount of respect for the accomplishments of high level players in both kinds of games.(also really? UMVC3 is your golden standard?)

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
one really can't compare traditional figting games to smash IMO mostly because smash has really diverged into a completely different kind of game altogether. That said I enjoy both traditional fighters like SFIII: Third strike and Blazblue as well as Smash and have an equal ammount of respect for the accomplishments of high level players in both kinds of games.(also really? UMVC3 is your golden standard?)
EDIT: whoops weird posting error.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
As a fighter in that game, I highly agree with this statement.

Never doubt a raccoon.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I find town & city uninspired and wish it atleast represented a different series since as is it looks too similar to smashville.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
MORE CRAP!!! BECAUSE WHY NOT!!

-Smash 4 has interesting meta game. People NEED stop whining and act like monkey stupier than Diddy himself. Wake up, try, just keep try, and you will find out, Smash 4 is a great competitive game. We need more support for Smash 4.

-Meta Knight and Palutena ae good characters. They have hidden potential, especially palutena that is really HARD to use.

-Diddy is kinda broken with is Insane speed and power, seriusly he have a Lot speed make easy combo and kills moves.

But, is you hit in is recovery, is pretty much dead and he can died less than 100%, easy to kill, hard to catch.

-Commander Video is the only indie, We need more indie trophy in Smash!

-Surprisingly Rayman could be quite nice and even Shovel Knight.

- Mega Man is the best Third-Party character in Smash ever, Even I secondary Pac-man more, Mega Man feel so perfect in Smash, Not even Sonic.

-The reason Takamaru is not in Smash because obscurity, That is really stuped. But I hope they plan it next time. Because.

-Takamaru, Sukapon, Mike Johns, Karate Joe, MK-III and BANDANA DEE Should be in Smash.

-Isaac not being in this game is disgracefull and HE should be played than anyone.<- I really fanboying here.

hollyray

Smash Rookie
NNID
Simba514
1. I don't like how Zelda and Sheik are separate characters. Not that I used Sheik much, anyway, but will. The Phantom move is completely useless IMO.
2. There are so many sword fighters it's kind of unnecessary. Marth, Ike, Link, Lucina, Toon Link. I get they may have different styles but they're like the same person in different versions.
3. Is it really necessary to have Mario and Dr. Mario? Once again...no point.
4. I rarely see Meta Knight, Charizard, or Bowser Jr in games. I find them a bit irrelevant for this game.
5. Villager is so overpowered I can't handle it. In fact, all the small characters like him are.
6.Little Mac's one-hit K.O. is very bothersome to me.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
^um.. i'd highly advise AGAINST keeping ones shield up against KO punch considering that it's the one attack that just outright ignores sheilds.

Last edited:

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
Does it really? Not in my experience.
It does, trust me. The amount of shields I've used it on before is crazy. Besides, the KO punch doesn't even start KOing before about 30% or something around there, before that it's just a lot of upward knockback.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom