• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
ITT: People posting popular opinions.

I actually liked the single player modes in Smash 4, and I think the SSE was mediocre at best.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Diddy's not OP.

People just whine more than actually play the game.

D

Deleted member

• Every newcomer deserved their spot on the roster, even the clones to a lesser extent.
  • Shulk bears little resemblance to a generic anime or Final Fantasy character. He looks unique and fits with the other realistically-proportioned Nintendo characters rather well.
  • Coming from someone who mains Shulk, I think the power of the Monado is a tad overpowered.
  • I have to agree with Swamp on this: Diddy Kong is FAR from overpowered.
  • I have no major gripes with the core gameplay of Smash 4. It may not be as competitive as Melee or Project M, but it's adequately competitive.
  • Regardless of whether or not a new director would handle Smash 5 better than Sakurai, I am curious to see what kind of direction said director would take, assuming it would be any different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
It's laughable that there's all this hype around Diddy Kong when the infamous Up Air just looks so stupid. Yeah it's pretty damaging but there's plenty of ways to get around it and I for one have never lost against a Diddy online. Hm, maybe that's because they suck as Diddy and he's NOT such an "easy win" character. Sound familiar? *cough*:4littlemac:*cough*
Geez, at least Mac was entertaining for the time that he lasted.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Palutena is one of the most lame characters to ever join Smash Bros. She's so bland and boring
Agreed, and she didn't deserve her spot at all. Sakurai had to stretch her concept so far just to give her a somewhat passable moveset, when every other major character (except Viridi) would've been infinitely easier to design a moveset for. Not only that, but she's really not that important of a character. In the first game, she was the typical damsel in distress who did absolutely nothing except thank the hero at the end, and in Uprising she was basically Navi.

I'm really not buying the excuse that he included her over the others because Japan wanted her, because there are a lot of other characters that were extremely heavily requested both here and in Japan that Sakurai probably never even thought of including this time around. If he really did just pick characters based off of popularity, we'd have Toad, Zoroark, Takamaru, Chrom and K. Rool instead of Rosalina, Greninja, Duck Hunt, Robin and WFT. That, and it's pretty obvious why they wanted her instead of an actual fighter (it's the same reason why her side taunt is a pole dance).

If Sakurai wanted to pretend that the first game ever really mattered (it didn't. Before Uprising, most people thought Pit's name was Kid Icarus and that the main villain was Eggplant Wizard), he could've went with Medusa. If he didn't want to deal with down-scaling the characters, he could've made Dark Pit an actual character who uses different types of weapons than Pit (or Magnus, but that's a stretch. I can still dream, though). Otherwise, Hades would've been a great choice. He had a lot of good options, but he went with the one that was by far the most baron in terms of moveset potential and the only one that doesn't actually fight. The worst part is that we probably won't get another Kid Icarus rep anytime soon because Sakurai abandoned the series after Uprising.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Double Posting Warning Received
Agreed, and she didn't deserve her spot at all. Sakurai had to stretch her concept so far just to give her a somewhat passable moveset, when every other major character (except Viridi) would've been infinitely easier to design a moveset for. Not only that, but she's really not that important of a character. In the first game, she was the typical damsel in distress who did absolutely nothing except thank the hero at the end, and in Uprising she was basically Navi.

I'm really not buying the excuse that he included her over the others because Japan wanted her, because there are a lot of other characters that are extremely heavily requested both here and in Japan that Sakurai probably never even thought of including this time around. If he really did just pick characters based off of popularity, we'd have Toad, Zoroark, Takamaru, Chrom and K. Rool instead of Rosalina, Greninja, Duck Hunt, Robin and WFT. That, and it's pretty obvious why they wanted her instead of an actual fighter (it's the same reason why her side taunt is a pole dance).

If Sakurai wanted to pretend that the first game ever really mattered (it didn't. Before Uprising, most people thought Pit's name was Kid Icarus and that the main villain was Eggplant Wizard), he could've went with Medusa. If he didn't want to deal with down-scaling the characters, he could've made Dark Pit an actual character who uses different types of weapons than Pit (or Magnus, but that's a stretch. I can still dream, though). Otherwise, Hades would've been a great choice. He had a lot of good options, but he went with the one that was by far the most baron in terms of moveset potential and the only one that doesn't actually fight. The worst part is that we probably won't get another Kid Icarus rep anytime soon because Sakurai abandoned the series after Uprising.
Or you know...
There was some peolpe who actually wanted her, bwth.

this thread is called unpopular opinions for a reason
Most of these opinions aren't "unpopular" at all.
There are popular negative opinions or unbais opinions

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Or you know...
There was some peolpe who actually wanted her, bwth.
there are a lot of other characters that were extremely heavily requested both here and in Japan that Sakurai probably never even thought of including this time around. If he really did just pick characters based off of popularity, we'd have Toad, Zoroark, Takamaru, Chrom and K. Rool instead of Rosalina, Greninja, Duck Hunt, Robin and WFT.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I'm really not buying the excuse that he included her over the others because Japan wanted her, because there are a lot of other characters that are extremely heavily requested both here and in Japan that Sakurai probably never even thought of including this time around. If he really did just pick characters based off of popularity, we'd have Toad, Zoroark, Takamaru, Chrom and K. Rool instead of Rosalina, Greninja, Duck Hunt, Robin and WFT. That, and it's pretty obvious why they wanted her instead of an actual fighter (it's the same reason why her side taunt is a pole dance).
Peolpe actually wanted Duck Hunt, Robin and Rosalina dude....

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Chrom was much more requested than Robin (especially in Japan), as was Toad to Rosalina. Also, there weren't even remotely as many requests for Duck Hunt as there were for Takamaru (again, especially in Japan).

Also, isn't going after people like this against the rules? This is supposed to be a safe place to express opinions that get you in trouble in other places, but 2 out of my 3 opinion posts (all of them were made this week) have gotten some angry reply, and it seems to only be happening to me.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Chrom was much more requested than Robin (especially in Japan), as was Toad to Rosalina. Also, there weren't even remotely as many requests for Duck Hunt as there were for Takamaru (again, especially in Japan).
I thought Dark Pit or Lunica was the most requested at Japan or something.
Anyway, I need statics, because Toad? Really?

Also, isn't going after people like this against the rules? This is supposed to be a safe place to express opinions that get you in trouble in other places, but 2 out of my 3 posts have gotten some angry reply, and it seems to only be happening to me.
Most likely because your opinions are faultly and somewhat bais at large.
But meh, I personally don't care

I'm somewhat good with all the fighters that you seem to hate the guts out, so we both have unpopular opinions, I guess.

Sorry if I offended you.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You were right, I was thinking of Waddle Dee. Here's the thread.
Actually Toad being more popular in Japan than Rosalina was also true according to that thread:

"Also, its important noting that Toad is very popular in Japan, though this does not translate to Smash Bros. requests since these is a deep pessimism that his permanent role in the Smash Bros. series is as Peach's special. If such pessimism did not exist, Toad would definitely be amongst the most wanted newcomers for Smash 4 in Japan (possibly in the A-tier range)."

Speaking of which; Unpopular opinion:

Toad still would of been the better option. It's been four smashes, and with three new(ish) Mario characters appearing you'd expect Toad to have been one of them given his overall importance to the series.

At least Captain Toad did something to pick up the mushroom kingdom's civilians species.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I've got a few more opinions regarding character choices:
  • Geno, Waluigi, and even Birdo are better Mario reps than [Captain] Toad.
  • The bounty hunters from Metroid Prime 3 and Hunters are much better Metroid reps than Ridley.
  • Zoroark and Mewtwo are better Pokemon reps than Blaziken and Greninja.
  • Pretty much any other playable FE character is a better FE rep than Roy or Lucina.
  • Krystal and Wolf are better Star Fox reps than Falco. THAT AIN'T FALCO
  • Kumatora, Duster, and Flint are all better Mother reps than Lucas.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
Purple costumes ain't enough, I want Waluigi. I want the complete quadruple set.

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I really wish development on this game started a year later. That way, we'd probably have Blaziken (ORAS), Toad (3D World and Treasure Tracker), Dixie (Tropical Freeze), and maybe an Inkling. Also, Wolf probably wouldn't have gotten cut (new Star Fox).

_gold_

Smash Master
@ Runic_SSB Runic_SSB I think Smash Bros. has reached it's limit on Pokemon characters. Don't forget we're getting Mewtwo later this year. Adding Blaziken too would mean having seven slots of the roster dedicated to Pokemon. Just seems a bit over-kill to me.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
  • I think smash 4 roster is the best by far
  • I like Dark Pit as a character I wish they fix his move set
  • Shulk deserved his spot on the roster
  • The Not "Nintendo enough " got to be the worst argument I have ever heard for not wanting a character in smash
  • I hate this character a joke character saying, just because you don't like a character doesn't mean they'er a Joke character

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Unpopular opinion (I guess):

- I'm starting to get tired of roster complaints like "X didn't deserve its playable status" especially now that we're familiar with the final roster since almost half a year. Every SSB4 newcomer has a reason to be in the game, so can we just enjoy the roster for what it is? I find myself Greninja to be a questionable addition in the first place and Dark Pit kind of worthless, but they're not a big deal and I understand their inclusion, I'm fine with them being playable.

- This leads me to my next point: Smash is not supposed to be a VIP club open only to the absolute biggest mascots. Seriously, sometimes I feel like people hate on everyone who isn't at least as iconic/important/famous (delete as appropriate) as Meta Knight or Little Mac for example. Unexpected and "unimportant" (from a roster complainer perspective) characters help diversifying the roster and prevent it to be a bland VIP club to repeat what I said. Obviously I'm not saying the roster should be widely open to many blatantly underserving characters like Reyn or Tharja but I don't see any problem about adding a few somewhat less "important" characters if they have at least some level of prominence and add diversity to the roster. BTW, I find the SSB4 roster to be fantastic.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't get the appeal of Geno, nor the people who still want him.

If Smash was a Sega series, the equivalent would be requesting Bean the Dynamite or Ray the Flying Squirrel for a Sonic series character.

Aka; not coming back, obscure, one shot, and tossed aside by the company that owes them.

No, I don't count that tiny cameo in Mario + Luigi as proof he's not one shot.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Warning Received
Unpopular Opinion: I wish for Captain Falcon to be removed from Smash 4 so that Ganondorf is no longer considered a clone.
I come to this thread and the first thing I read....
[irrelevant gif spam removed]

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Reasons I wanted a true story mode in smash 4 3DS and/or Wii U:

1. It would prove once and for all whether Sakurai was inept at making a story mode, or if SSE was just a very watered down albeit. enjoyable way to unlock the characters.
2. Would redeem a certain handful of characters (*COUGH*:4fox:,:4zss:,:4falcon:,:4megaman: and :4sonic: *COUGH*) in the eyes of their respective companies as "see? people like these characters! please give our games another chance!"
3. If SSB4 had a story mode and :4darkpit: was just as well written/interesting in that story mode as people say he was (I haven't played the game myself, so IDK if the hype over him was earned or not) in KI:U, I would have no qualms with him being a character.
4. It would also give us another means of grinding for those elusive custom moves, mii outfits, and trophies.
5. Would've allowed for more bosses. Egg Dragoon, Heavy Lobster, and Metroid Prime seem like possible candidates for the future.
6. :4charizard:'s Down-B would see more exploitation on boss rushes use.
:substitute: Is the best counter, your enemies won't be able to shield in time!
That is only 10% of why :substitute: is best counter. :substitute: is best counter because of :substitute:.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

• I prefer Classic Mode without Master Core and his formations (probably because I'm a noob). Back to Melee & Brawl days...
  • Trophy shop was a great addition to the game.
  • I don't care that Target Smash got cut. Target Blast is a million times better.

Javln Mastr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Modernlykos
3DS FC
3823-8516-1685
I cringe whenever anybody mentions DLC. I understand you want the hype to continue, but there are so many reasons why this is likely not very possible. There isn't a "smash team" that continues to regulate the game for years to come, Bandai Namco has already moved along. Plus, I bet Nintendo doesn't want to continue to harp on Smash, and so don't I. Smash is special when it comes around every 8 years or so, and this is just going to over-saturate the Smash brand. The only character I would accept is Pyrrhon or Hades as DLC, because their lack of notice in the game is unacceptable. And, of course, let's not forget

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom