• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Nope, experimental codeset makes not a difference it seems; Ridley's still using Pit's SFX, so it's definitely related to the fact that he's cloned from Pit. They must share a soundbank; so we'll probably need to merge Ridley's SFX into Pit's SFX .sawnd file, like how Mewtwo and Roy were merged into Lucario and Marth's .sawnds. That seems to be why this isn't working, at least; I imagine if I rename the Ridley soundbank to Pit's ID and remove Pit's soundbank, it'd just cause Pit to make animalistic screeches and roars instead of what we want (each having their original sounds).

So either we replace a boss SFX (in that case, I suppose replacing one Ridley's SFX with another's isn't all too terrible) or we may need to merge both soundbanks.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Nope, experimental codeset makes not a difference it seems; Ridley's still using Pit's SFX, so it's definitely related to the fact that he's cloned from Pit. They must share a soundbank; so we'll probably need to merge Ridley's SFX into Pit's SFX .sawnd file, like how Mewtwo and Roy were merged into Lucario and Marth's .sawnds. That seems to be why this isn't working, at least; I imagine if I rename the Ridley soundbank to Pit's ID and remove Pit's soundbank, it'd just cause Pit to make animalistic screeches and roars instead of what we want (each having their original sounds).

So either we replace a boss SFX (in that case, I suppose replacing one Ridley's SFX with another's isn't all too terrible) or we may need to merge both soundbanks.
Oh, right, you're using BrawlEx clone. Does it works with Ridley over Pit though?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Oh, right, you're using BrawlEx clone. Does it works with Ridley over Pit though?
I'd assume it would, but I kind of don't want two Ridleys in my game. :p One genocidal space dragon is enough for the build. Using Ridley over Pit would just negate the fact of sharing soundbanks; it'd matter not.

So I'm thinking we'll need to either put the two soundbanks together like how P:M handled it's clones eventually or assign Ridley's SFX to either his Subspace doppelganger or Meta Ridley's soundbanks and have the game load that bank for Ridley while keeping Pit's bank the same.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'd assume it would, but I kind of don't want two Ridleys in my game. :p One genocidal space dragon is enough for the build. Using Ridley over Pit would just negate the fact of sharing soundbanks; it'd matter not.

So I'm thinking we'll need to either put the two soundbanks together like how P:M handled it's clones eventually or assign Ridley's SFX to either his Subspace doppelganger or Meta Ridley's soundbanks and have the game load that bank for Ridley while keeping Pit's bank the same.
Then we'd better go for the 2nd option. We already have his sound IDs set to Meta Ridley's and Meta Ridley's soundbank replacement is already done.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Though, I'm curious on the SSB4 think you mention.

They literally made one of the worst rigs I have ever seen for SSB4 Ridley. Not only that...look at those horrible textures! Even his friggin' pupilless eyes are going slack-eyed! About the only improvement this...thing has over the Other M model (or our own version) is individually rigged toes. Otherwise, it's utter trash.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

They literally made one of the worst rigs I have ever seen for SSB4 Ridley. Not only that...look at those horrible textures! Even his friggin' pupilless eyes are going slack-eyed! About the only improvement this...thing has over the Other M model (or our own version) is individually rigged toes. Otherwise, it's utter trash.
That and properly rigged wings. Our model and original Other M model have 5 bones for each wing and each finger bends only at the base. It still works, but doesn't looks natural. But the worst part of this all? SSB4 model is re-rigged and optimized (it actually can be used in Brawl without lag) Other M model with slightly different textures with very low size and Metal Face, another stage boss from Wii game, had proper HD upgrade. Just what happened?
Oh, and someone is making SSB4 Ridley model import over this mod's model. If rig on this one will be better than on original model, "my sides will be gone" or whatever people say.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Wow. The Other M Ridley model was bad enough, I didn't even know it could get worse (I never actually looked at Smash 4's model).

Which brings me to a point - thank you guys (I think Bagan, but I'm not sure) for making Other M's dumpy Ridley look like something good. Removing the excess spikes, properly pointing the beak, reducing the muscle mass, you did a really good job.

Ironic - a game only good for its graphics manages to ruin the one thing that you didn't think could have been ruined.
Except maybe Fusion's Ridley, I really didn't like that one.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Wow. The Other M Ridley model was bad enough, I didn't even know it could get worse (I never actually looked at Smash 4's model).

Which brings me to a point - thank you guys (I think Bagan, but I'm not sure) for making Other M's dumpy Ridley look like something good. Removing the excess spikes, properly pointing the beak, reducing the muscle mass, you did a really good job.

Ironic - a game only good for its graphics manages to ruin the one thing that you didn't think could have been ruined.
To be honest, I kind of liked the increased musculature on him; made him look more powerful in the predatory sense, which is a good idea for Ridley.

You know, this is suddenly making me want to make a post in the Space Pirate group that's essentially a biological description of Ridley. Would be pretty neat to try and detail everything about how he might operate if based on actual physics and biology. Might just do that now.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
So much more work to be done with PMBX out and about...

As for that duck-thing, you're saying someone rigged S4's model over a character in S4? Like Chrom only awful?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
So much more work to be done with PMBX out and about...
Eh, not really; all that has to be done is simply making a .SAWND that lets both Ridley and Pit have their normal SFX.

As for that duck-thing, you're saying someone rigged S4's model over a character in S4? Like Chrom only awful?
Nope.

That's the actual rig that the Smash team used in the game for Ridley in the Pyrosphere.

Seriously, it is one of the most horrid rigging jobs I've ever seen in my life. Maybe Bagan should show the model in BrawlBox with the bones visible, just so we can get visual imagery of the godawful rigging in that model. Seriously, Bagan did better than that! And he's not even being paid to do this! :p

Last edited:

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
To be honest, I kind of liked the increased musculature on him; made him look more powerful in the predatory sense, which is a good idea for Ridley.

You know, this is suddenly making me want to make a post in the Space Pirate group that's essentially a biological description of Ridley. Would be pretty neat to try and detail everything about how he might operate if based on actual physics and biology. Might just do that now.
Well, He'd have one of the most complex biology ever. The wings need to have a socket for the wing bones to go into (Super Metroid's Ridley has a bulge in his back so I could see them fitting in there). His wings are massive but it takes more than big wings to make something fly. Ridley is semi-humanoid which is not aerodynamic at all. His emaciated look may be there to reduce weight and his bones might also be hollow. Ridley might be lighter than he looks. Even then, it takes a super missile to knock him off his feet in MP3.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I realize now how much better Bagan's design is for Smash. The Brawl design, though awesome, isn't very proportionally appropriate. Tiny legs, giant head and wings... Nanobuds said it doesn't fit with Brawl's aesthetic though, it'd be cool if it didn't take a lot of work to figure out why.
Eh, not really; all that has to be done is simply making a .SAWND that lets both Ridley and Pit have their normal SFX.

Nope.

That's the actual rig that the Smash team used in the game for Ridley in the Pyrosphere.

Seriously, it is one of the most horrid rigging jobs I've ever seen in my life. Maybe Bagan should show the model in BrawlBox with the bones visible, just so we can get visual imagery of the godawful rigging in that model. Seriously, Bagan did better than that! And he's not even being paid to do this! :p
And they were supposedly the same people that did this:

It's not amazing, but it certainly is better.

Which reminds me - did anyone else notice that Smash 4 uses a Brawl stock icon?

Last edited:

The Peacekeeper

Smash Cadet

I mean don't get me wrong, it would have been better if he was playable but still. Pyrosphere is one of my favorite stages because of how lovely it is to watch him tear through my enemies.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Other M model was good for a model from Wii game.
Samus_grasped_by_Ridley_Plasma_Beam_charge_Geothermal_Power_Plant_Pyrosphere_HD.PNG

Design is another thing. And it was me. Proportion changes were done because of feedback and model was resized and optimized by others, but everything else was done by me.
I realize now how much better Bagan's design is for Smash. The Brawl design, though awesome, isn't very proportionally appropriate. Tiny legs, giant head and wings... Nanobuds said it doesn't fit with Brawl's aesthetic though, it'd be cool if it didn't take a lot of work to figure out why.
Brawl's design has normal limbs (Other M Ridley has long arms and short legs) and his wings aren't much bigger than on my design.
Which reminds me - did anyone else notice that Smash 4 uses a Brawl stock icon?
Everyone did and its pretty stupid. It looks nothing like Other M or SSB4 Ridley.
Nope.

Technically, i didn't rig it unless you mean K. Rool, but im sure i can do better than that. And simply showing bones won't show whats wrong.

I mean don't get me wrong, it would have been better if he was playable but still. Pyrosphere is one of my favorite stages because of lovely it is to watch him tear through my enemies.
Shouldn't have mentioned that. This is worst part about that duck. Doesn't matters if its Jigglypuff, Ganondorf or even Samus, he still becomes your b**** if you slap him, something that contradicts what was shown with Ridley in Other M.

...i really need to finish other projects and get to classic Ridley. This isn't really what should be discussed here, but there is nothing else to discuss outside of maybe PM+BrawlEx thing.

Last edited:

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
Right, I'll try testing the SFX; I've just finished installing the P:M+BEX combo, and I've inserted the SFX file.

Will report on how it ends up later.

EDIT: Ridley is still using Pit's SFX after the file is placed into the SFX folder, it seems; though that would be because of the .gct; either that, or we'll need to do a shared soundbank between Pit and Ridley, like how Mewtwo and Lucario work.
Don't you need to modify the .pac file to play the sounds that are set over Meta Ridley? And if you add it over pit's remaining sfx you'd have to do the same thing... Also I'm pretty sure a certain Fire Emblem character replaces Tabuu's sounds

PatziPatzPatz

Smash Cadet
2.2 it is then.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6yqpspzuwnt9j1/Ridley_SFX_Port_V1.1.zip?dl=0

Done the best I can given the limitations presented to me, and as a bonus, I also ported Ridley's GFX to Lyndis' effect.pac file.
I tested this with the BrawlEX by PyotrLuzhin, and noticed 2 bugs:
1) Forward throw makes the enemy attached to you, leaving him in helpless state between Ridleys legs. It looks quite badass though when Ridley flys around with his helpless victim between his legs waiting to be killed by a down air.
2) When playing with 4 Ridleys the game usually freezes after a while, I played 9 games 4 stock games and it froze 5 times. I think it happens when a lot of Ridleys make a sound at the same time, it happend 4 times when I released a forward smash attack and once when I lost a stock when Ridley makes his death cry.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
I call that the tail glitch. Sometimes during a match, if the first attack Ridley lands is a tail attack then the game will freeze. The only way to prevent it is to use a non tail attack as you're first attack.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Don't you need to modify the .pac file to play the sounds that are set over Meta Ridley? And if you add it over pit's remaining sfx you'd have to do the same thing... Also I'm pretty sure a certain Fire Emblem character replaces Tabuu's sounds
We already prepared that .pac file with Meta Ridley sounds.
I call that the tail glitch. Sometimes during a match, if the first attack Ridley lands is a tail attack then the game will freeze. The only way to prevent it is to use a non tail attack as you're first attack.
I tested this with the BrawlEX by PyotrLuzhin, and noticed 2 bugs:
1) Forward throw makes the enemy attached to you, leaving him in helpless state between Ridleys legs. It looks quite badass though when Ridley flys around with his helpless victim between his legs waiting to be killed by a down air.
2) When playing with 4 Ridleys the game usually freezes after a while, I played 9 games 4 stock games and it froze 5 times. I think it happens when a lot of Ridleys make a sound at the same time, it happend 4 times when I released a forward smash attack and once when I lost a stock when Ridley makes his death cry.
Ridley in PyortLuzhin's BrawlEx should not count here because it might have its own problems. Only PM3.5 and 3.6.
I still haven't found a fix for this.

shikamaru12

Smash Apprentice

Woah, what space pirate group?

BTW, the SFX works. You don't need to port it over pit. Edit his figher config and change the soundbank to 0000013F. This page is useful for soundbank codes: http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/Soundbanks_(Brawl)

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Last edited:

Rage83

Smash Ace
Btw, BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , ds22's BrawlEx port's GFX replaces AT Lyn's(as you know), which conflicts with...another green haired FE rep in the September dev build.

PatziPatzPatz

Smash Cadet
Ridley in PyortLuzhin's BrawlEx should not count here because it might have its own problems. Only PM3.5 and 3.6.
I still haven't found a fix for this.
The second bug probably was that tail glitch then. But I'm pretty sure that the forward throw glitch only happens with ds22's SFX port, not with the Ridley V2.2 and not with the one in PyotrLuzhin's build (which should be the same).

Btw, BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros , ds22's BrawlEx port's GFX replaces AT Lyn's(as you know), which conflicts with...another green haired FE rep in the September dev build.
Lyn's soundbank is 140, the soundbank of ds22's Ridley port is 13F, they shouldn't conflict?

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
I played with ds22's modified Ridley, but his jab didn't work... It was a rapid forward movement without hitboxes.

ds22

Smash Lord
Just so you guys know, I ONLY changed the SFX and GFX IDs in PSA.
I didn't touch anything regarding frame data, hitboxes and all that sort of stuff, and neither did I experience any sort of oddities regarding his FThrow when testing the build myself.

PatziPatzPatz

Smash Cadet
It works now!
And I know what was wrong: The Ridley in PyotrLuzhin's BrawlEx build was version 2.1, not 2.2 what I thought.
Thinking it was V2.2, I used the V2.1 FitRidleyMotionEtc.pac in that build together with your V2.2 FitRidley.pac, which led to the bugs with the forward throw and the jab kalvinwithak mentioned which also happend to me.

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
It works now!
And I know what was wrong: The Ridley in PyotrLuzhin's BrawlEx build was version 2.1, not 2.2 what I thought.
Thinking it was V2.2, I used the V2.1 FitRidleyMotionEtc.pac in that build together with your V2.2 FitRidley.pac, which led to the bugs with the forward throw and the jab kalvinwithak mentioned which also happend to me.
Ahh, thank you. This will be helpful

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
whens 2.2 full going to be out
Primary modification of Ridley has been halted to focus on the new characters (K. Rool and Metal Face). Right now Secondary efforts are being made to make Ridley fully compatible with PM+BEX which I think is over, maybe? Yes? No?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Primary modification of Ridley has been halted to focus on the new characters (K. Rool and Metal Face). Right now Secondary efforts are being made to make Ridley fully compatible with PM+BEX which I think is over, maybe? Yes? No?
Not quite; we're working on the soundbanks. So unless people want a BEX Ridley that shares SFX with Pit, I think we'll be holding him off.

BUT I do know that we're still working on Ridley on our off-time. He's not our primary focus, no, but we've got a few other projects in the pipeline that are much more in need of development time than Ridley, ATM. Especially since Project M isn't updating anymore, it means we're able to put things on the backburner.

Right now, we're all working on K.Rool and Metal Face, and me and Bagan are doing up a Tyrantrum mod as a separate project to the rest.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Not quite; we're working on the soundbanks. So unless people want a BEX Ridley that shares SFX with Pit, I think we'll be holding him off.

BUT I do know that we're still working on Ridley on our off-time. He's not our primary focus, no, but we've got a few other projects in the pipeline that are much more in need of development time than Ridley, ATM. Especially since Project M isn't updating anymore, it means we're able to put things on the backburner.

Right now, we're all working on K.Rool and Metal Face, and me and Bagan are doing up a Tyrantrum mod as a separate project to the rest.
You guys sure love big, beefy, scary fighters, don't you?

Top Bottom