• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Ok, just to keep things fresh. I was asking for help on KC-MM and Dr. agreed to help. I needed to have Ridley's model optimized and several things about it fixed. Mostly normals and stuff like this. Here is the result:

Now there is no weird shading on his wing membranes and his claws and teeth are just a single piece (by that i mean now they aren't made of several separate polygons). White tail blade is back too. It will make it easier to tell where the sweetspot is. Also, true Other M Ridley now has 80% accurate colors and recolors (shown below, in a spoiler).

This model wasn't fixed however. This is not something that i can't handle though. I know how to properly resize models now, so, i can just resize original model and replace things like materials and shaders. Oh, and updated CSPs, BPs and CSSs so they have real shading and stuff like this on them:

Note: Other M icons use same lighting as default icons. Its just that materials used make them darker. But i will most likely fix white recolor to be more, well, white.
Fun fact: default black Ridley's .pcs file size is 666kbs. Huh.
Oh boy... This next update is gonna be great!

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
100 page hype!! i have been keeping up with this mod for quite a while and can't wait for 2.0

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, here we are. 100th page. Not much to tell though. Just that i might change CSP pose since i found something that could be used for it:

It will fit very well without much cropping required. It would perfectly fit a SSB4 CSP icon too.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
It will fit very well without much cropping required. It would perfectly fit a SSB4 CSP icon too.
In fact...
Ridley Smash 4 CSP Pose.png

It looks ridiculously good in the pose (though obviously I made some modifications to it in order to make it look more natural).
As a CSP:
Ridley Smash 4 CSP Pose (CSP sized).png

It also looks solid, even without any fancy lighting.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
MenSelchrFaceB.227.png

Also, I've decided to totally rework that custom skin I was working on to make it more...well, better. I might fiddle with the mechanical parts to make the color contrast less drastic, but this looks pretty good for now.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
View attachment 56224
Also, I've decided to totally rework that custom skin I was working on to make it more...well, better. I might fiddle with the mechanical parts to make the color contrast less drastic, but this looks pretty good for now.
Ooh. Needs those textures to be moved around though. Looks rather random and purple parts here don't match his skin.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Here's a question, why does his wings fold up to the back of him when he's walking/running but when he's just standing their somewhat open and to the side of him, why not just have the them completely folded and to the back of him like when he lightly walks or just have them opened up and to the back of him because they aren't that large when they're opened.

Remember this?

I'm pretty sure something like this is possible, remember when I said that his wings were too thin? Well with his current stance it makes them look pretty thin which isn't a good thing in my eye's and when they up and down I think that they should be more angled in a way so they would look not has thin.

So what i'm basically try to say is have the wings folded completely,have them stick out to the back like in the gift above, or even just have the wings angled so they won't look like paper.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Here's a question, why does his wings fold up to the back of him when he's walking/running but when he's just standing their somewhat open and to the side of him, why not just have the them completely folded and to the back of him like when he lightly walks or just have them opened up and to the back of him because they aren't that large when they're opened.

Remember this?

I'm pretty sure something like this is possible, remember when I said that his wings were too thin? Well with his current stance it makes them look pretty thin which isn't a good thing in my eye's and when they up and down I think that they should be more angled in a way so they would look not has thin.

So what i'm basically try to say is have the wings folded completely,have them stick out to the back like in the gift above, or even just have the wings angled so they won't look like paper.
Yes, i remember. At this points, its Old Shame for me.
The problem is that it will cause even more clipping than his tail does (well, at least after his tail became shorter). I don't think about it when he is walking because character's entire body can clip through opponents when moving. Leaving them in Z-axis or whatever helps avoid it.

Wolley2xjd

Yes, i remember. At this points, its Old Shame for me.
The problem is that it will cause even more clipping than his tail does (well, at least after his tail became shorter). I don't think about it when he is walking because character's entire body can clip through opponents when moving. Leaving them in Z-axis or whatever helps avoid it.
Can you t least make it where his wings don't look like paper cause that really bugs me.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Can you t least make it where his wings don't look like paper cause that really bugs me.
Maybe. That will require remaking the whole standing animation (so wings wouldn't get in the way), change every other animation's first and last few frames, etc etc. Im rather lazy when it comes to such things.

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Maybe. That will require remaking the whole standing animation (so wings wouldn't get in the way), change every other animation's first and last few frames, etc etc. Im rather lazy when it comes to such things.
Alright then.

Also MORE OLD SHAME!

OmegaBazil

Smash Rookie
Ok, just to keep things fresh. I was asking for help on KC-MM and Dr. agreed to help. I needed to have Ridley's model optimized and several things about it fixed. Mostly normals and stuff like this. Here is the result:

Now there is no weird shading on his wing membranes and his claws and teeth are just a single piece (by that i mean now they aren't made of several separate polygons). White tail blade is back too. It will make it easier to tell where the sweetspot is. Also, true Other M Ridley now has 80% accurate colors and recolors (shown below, in a spoiler).

This model wasn't fixed however. This is not something that i can't handle though. I know how to properly resize models now, so, i can just resize original model and replace things like materials and shaders. Oh, and updated CSPs, BPs and CSSs so they have real shading and stuff like this on them:

Note: Other M icons use same lighting as default icons. Its just that materials used make them darker. But i will most likely fix white recolor to be more, well, white.
Fun fact: default black Ridley's .pcs file size is 666kbs. Huh.
*duck billed ridley is just so stuiped looking.. I like yours better.. Also Legs.. why ridley has Growths? now classic brawl ridley is Awsome!!!! cant wait to see its done completely.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Also, I took Bagan's advice into account...
MenSelchrFaceB.227.png

I might need to make it a bit darker, but this works pretty well, too (it looks a lot more like exposed muscle tissue than the original Meta Ridley texture's purple things did). The messiness of the textures is mostly because of the way the textures were mapped onto the model, since they weren't specifically made for a Ridley quite this bulky. :p I think it adds some uniqueness to the model because of it's asymmetrical, hodgepoge-esque design.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
*duck billed ridley is just so stuiped looking.. I like yours better.. Also Legs.. why ridley has Growths? now classic brawl ridley is Awsome!!!! cant wait to see its done completely.
I think he looks fine. Even threatening if you don't see his head from the front. Spikes are kinda too much, but still look fine.
Also, I took Bagan's advice into account...View attachment 56307
I might need to make it a bit darker, but this works pretty well, too (it looks a lot more like exposed muscle tissue than the original Meta Ridley texture's purple things did). The messiness of the textures is mostly because of the way the textures were mapped onto the model, since they weren't specifically made for a Ridley quite this bulky. :p I think it adds some uniqueness to the model because of it's asymmetrical, hodgepoge-esque design.
Looks better now. Just needs to be desaturated a bit more.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

The newest version of Ridley is almost completed; our current estimation of a release date is sometime within this next week. There have been a lot of changes between our last public release and the new version; so much so that Ridley is a totally different playstyle to how he was before, and he has been balanced considerably in our efforts to improve the mod. Just as Space Pirates will never falter, our dedication to improving Ridley as a balanced character never falters, either.
The only remaining element we need to work upon is some editing of the Final Smash, and then 2.0 will release.

Among some of our changes are:
  • A completely new Down-Special when grounded (a Meta Ridley-like ram as opposed to the less useful armor shield).
  • A new Side Special, which also acts in two differing ways depending on his status. The grounded version is similar to how it was before, but the aerial version is far different and can be a good edgeguarding tool if you can land it.
  • And more!
Again, Ridley 2.0 is expected to crash through a Pyrosphere near you THIS WEEK!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

The newest version of Ridley is almost completed; our current estimation of a release date is sometime within this next week. There have been a lot of changes between our last public release and the new version; so much so that Ridley is a totally different playstyle to how he was before, and he has been balanced considerably in our efforts to improve the mod. Just as Space Pirates will never falter, our dedication to improving Ridley as a balanced character never falters, either.
The only remaining element we need to work upon is some editing of the Final Smash, and then 2.0 will release.

Among some of our changes are:
  • A completely new Down-Special when grounded (a Meta Ridley-like ram as opposed to the less useful armor shield).
  • A new Side Special, which also acts in two differing ways depending on his status. The grounded version is similar to how it was before, but the aerial version is far different and can be a good edgeguarding tool if you can land it.
  • And more!
Again, Ridley 2.0 is expected to crash through a Pyrosphere near you THIS WEEK!
And just something i need to point out - thrown animations will not be fixed in this release. It will take a lot of time to do and model's shading or whatever will get messed up on right arm and leg. When this will no longer be an issue, then i will...er...add those.
EDIT: just as an extra, this is his new CSP pose. Old one i showed here will still be available, but this will be default one:

It will also be used for extra trophy im working on. But to be consistent, i'll have to replace other KI trophies too.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ok, just few new things i want to share.
First of all, now Firebrand recolor is no longer going to be included in the pack. It will be a separate download instead, just like Other M model. Replacement for it is already done:

His wing membranes, as you can see, are transparent. Materials and shaders used are same as on Brawl Meta Ridley. If you'll look at them at certain angle, you'll see some stuff inside of Ridley's body that you are not meant to see, but you can't see it normally. Only if you'll pause, zoom in as much as possible and turn around properly. His skin isn't really grey. Its just greatly desaturated default color, as it is in Metroid Prime (except a little bit more desaturated). This pretty much is a substitute for Meta Ridley alt until that one will be made. If that will ever happen.
And here is something less important:

His size here is accurate to how he is in the game.

Welp, thats it for now.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
eh, a bit offtopic

Bagan, Ridleylash, who and where else do i go to if i can have an invite to the Space Pirate Mansion hangout?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Also, I'm currently working on giving Ridley proper Final Smash eyes, as well; expect those in the next update.
Well, i kinda have texture for that ready just in case its not done yet:

It looks like this to match other FS eyes textures. And better not make any promises unless you are 100% sure about it.

More extra stuff:

Took me 2 hours to finish. 40 minutes were spent on making this thing and properly posing it and 80 minutes were spent on trying to encounter him anyhow in Classic Mode.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
And here is something less important:
His size here is accurate to how he is in the game.

Welp, thats it for now.
I really love this, but just wanted to ask if you could change his shading a bit here. Everyone else seems a bit duller in these shots which makes Ridley stand out too much. Otherwise it looks perfect.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Now for the biggest part; testing the images in-game.

EDIT: I don't have any way to screencap this, but it seems to work fine on my end. It doesn't freeze the game, at least. :p

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
You guys probably know about this already, but
Project M Development Team said:
As soon as version 3.6 is released we will be re-opening applications to the PMDev Team. As the years press on, our roster of team members continues to change, with a number of members having to move on to other projects, and it is showing in our time efficiency. More details will be made concerning this soon, but please note applications are only being accepted after the release of 3.6.
With your Ridley mod being so popular, applying would be really neat. Of course, I don't know what exactly the team is looking for, most likely coding wizards, but still something to consider.

Top Bottom