• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Mapet

Smash Cadet
You can test 1.9, but keep in mind that it has a lot of issues/moves that Bagan will fix/change in the next version, so don't get discouraged if you see something that you don't like (or too attached to his current moveset)
Awesome, I'll hold out until the next version is released.

Is there a simple way to "switch out" the files (perhaps in my USB Loader?) so I don't have to swap files on my computer every time I want to play as Pit or Ridley?

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Awesome, I'll hold out until the next version is released.

Is there a simple way to "switch out" the files (perhaps in my USB Loader?) so I don't have to swap files on my computer every time I want to play as Pit or Ridley?
We're working on making an addon at some point for this purpose, but it's still in development. Don't worry, though; I think by the next release it'll be included.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
We have 4 versions:
    • Ridley crouches, then quickly dashes forward, knocking everyone out of the way. Based off Omega Ridley's ramming attack. Doesn't stops at the ledge.
    • Ridley shoots a large fireball aimed at the ground while jumping up. Very similar to old normal ledge attack. Based off his Other M fireball attack he uses once he finishes applying his reflective armor whatever. Would be rather fitting as ground version of Down B since he most of the time goes into the air while using this attack and always lands using what became aerial version of Down B.
    • Ridley jumps up like Charizard during his ground Down B in PM. However, it can't be charged, he doesn't goes back/forward as much and he can damage opponent while going up just like Lucario and Samus during their Up Bs. Fast way to go into the air, but too similar to Charizard's.
    • Ridley steps back and shoots a fireball where he was a moment ago, creating a wall of fire, similar to Firebrand's fireball special when aimed down. Hit multiple times with above average shield damage and rather low damage and knockback. Launches up. Has average start up, long hitbox duration and low end lag. Wall of fire has low horizontal range and high vertical range. It can be absorbed, but not reflected. It disappears if Ridley is hit anyhow or platform under him disappears. This one is my favourite one, but we still have to test if its fair or useless.
- The first idea sounds cool, simply for the fact that it's based on Prime 3. Though I think there may be a few better options from Omega Ridley that could be used as Ground Down B. One of the more intriguing attacks is when he shoves two energy spheres on the floor with his hands, creating a sort of energy cage around him. Admittedly, this attack was exclusive to Prime 3, and thus may be unfitting for regular Ridley to use... but then again, this is Smash Bros, where the lines between canon and non-canon can be blurred...maybe :)? There's another attack from Prime 3, though it's technically already in the Ridley mod as a ''wake-up'' attack, sort of. For those curious to see them in action, they're at 6:00 and 8:49 respectively on the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-hTM78SYY

- Second one would be a nice homage to not only Other M's fireball-on-the-floor-technique, but also Super Metroid's version of it. Remember how his 2D fireballs would create ''shockwaves'' that expanded on the sides of wherever they landed?
hqdefault.jpg
Other M's variant does this too, and seeing as how the Ridley mod's Air Down B is based on Meta/Omega Ridley's ground-stomp-shockwave, it would be a nice touch for both air and ground versions of Down B to have shockwave properties.

- Third one is, in my honest opinion, the least interesting.

- Fourth idea reminds me of a suggestion I made to you a while ago. It's the one based on Ridley from Zero Mission, where he shoots out fireballs in a spread-shot manner (similar to a shotgun), somewhat creating a wall of fire. Back then, I suggested this wall of fire should move slowly like Urien's Aegis Reflector from SF3 Third Strike.
Aegis Reflector.png
But staying in place on the ground sounds more balanced, with the added bonus that it sends the opponent upwards. Anxious to see what you and your team of testers decide on!

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Thanks. Good to know that this kind of thing actually can happen.

Rather low. But just Ridley getting included in official PM has higher chance after the whole SSB4 s**t with him.

This.

Among changes that already are done are:
  • New model with slightly shorter beak, longer teeth, horns on the eyebrows, no arm and leg spikes, longer tail spikes and fixed purple spots on his wings.
  • Lower tail length, which reduces his tail range and overall range to more fair level (now Dedede has the highest range).
  • Less effective air jumps.
  • Due to Down B's removal (look below for more info on that), now Ridley has more detailed hurtboxes and has 2 thin hurtboxes on his wings (they are not present on the wing "fingers" and wing membranes though since that wouldn't make any sense). So, its more fair when you hit him and he doesn't touches blast zone as easily since that giant hurtbox used as a reflector (which is intangible, but this doesn't saves it from blast zones) is no longer present.
  • All claw attacks have sourspots with lower damage.
  • Tail has smaller hitboxes. Before, they were too big for no reasons. Now they better fit the model.
  • Slower glide that also can't be angled up as much.
  • DAir now ends with Ridley getting his tail stuck in the ground instead of bouncing up, he doesn't bounces up on hit as high, knockback is a lot lower and can spike only at first few frames (otherwise, launches up), but damage gets higher as he goes down until it goes from 14% to 22%. But Ridley ends DAir after some time, so, you're not guaranteed to hit opponent below if you're too high even if he/she doesn't moves.
  • Normal ledge attack is now just a normal claw swipe similar to his jab's 2nd hit. Deals higher damage though. Can KO.
  • FTilt now can be angled and is no longer just a horizontal tail swing (its more like his BAir in 1.95). It is also faster, but has lower range. Animation is completly different too and Ridley doesn't goes forward at all.
  • DTilt is also changed. Now it consists of 2 parts - normal low claw swipe with rather low start up and nearly no knockback and 2nd hit that launches opponent up with above average knockback and has average end lag. 2nd part can be delayed by pressing the button later. It automatically goes into 2nd part if A is held while performing 1st part.
  • UTilt now has higher start up and lower hitbox duration. End lag is pretty much same as before. And GFX looks noice.
  • Now Ridley swings his tail up during BAir instead of swinging it sideways.
  • NAir has lower base knockback.
  • Neutral B now has usual damage decrease that other spammable projectiles in the game have. It also deals lower damage (8%). GFX is unchanged.
  • Neutral B alt has lower range, lower knockback, lower damage and deals higher damage in the middle. Also received a noice GFX update.
  • Side B no longer works SSB4 Charizard's Dragon Rush. Instead, its a command grab. It has average start up, very low hitbox duration and high end lag. If he hits, he will grind opponent on the floor, then jump back and throw the poor guy on the floor. It can be teched, but Ridley is free to do anything around 5 frames after opponent hits the ground. So, you can either use DTilt if opponent didn't teched, FSmash if opponent is rolling away from you and jump and Down B or DAir if opponent uses get up attack.
  • Up B now has lower knockback and has sourspots with lower damage (around 12% instead of 18%). It also has alternate version used by holding B while he jumps up. It is same as old Up B (a U-shaped swoop). It has a unique property - if used very close to the ledge, he will grab it. Its not as useful as before because of new normal ledge attack, but still has its use. The only real difference between this and old Up B is how far he travels up and forward when using it. He also doesn't gets carried up by momentum. Instead, he starts going down. This attack disables Up B just like its normal version.
  • Smash taunt moved to Up Taunt. It can't affect opponents in the air, but this means that they will get stunned if they will land near him. Hitbox on it is signifficantly bigger than it was before.
  • Now has a Kirby hat! Kirby still uses Pit's arrows when copying Ridley's ability, but hat model is changed. Model i recently showed is not getting used and instead a different one will be used, with Other M model used as a base and most likely with a tail.
  • Down Taunt now can damage opponent if he/she gets some of that fire drool on them. Deals around 8% total, with absolutely no knockback.
  • Several rather unnoticable and insignifficant changes that are not worth losing sleep, not worth analysing.
Things that are going to be done:
  • Ground Down B, due to being buggy (some hitboxes, like tail blade hitbox on FTilt, are disabled when in this state for some reasons) and kinda unfair (for a large character at least since this removes one of their main weaknesses - being projectile sponges - while still being able to move around freely with rather insignifficant debuffs outside of L-Cancelling getting disabled), is getting replaced with...something. I and me crew o' beta testers are still choosing what should replace it. We have 4 versions:
    • Ridley crouches, then quickly dashes forward, knocking everyone out of the way. Based off Omega Ridley's ramming attack. Doesn't stops at the ledge.
    • Ridley shoots a large fireball aimed at the ground while jumping up. Very similar to old normal ledge attack. Based off his Other M fireball attack he uses once he finishes applying his reflective armor whatever. Would be rather fitting as ground version of Down B since he most of the time goes into the air while using this attack and always lands using what became aerial version of Down B.
    • Ridley jumps up like Charizard during his ground Down B in PM. However, it can't be charged, he doesn't goes back/forward as much and he can damage opponent while going up just like Lucario and Samus during their Up Bs. Fast way to go into the air, but too similar to Charizard's.
    • Ridley steps back and shoots a fireball where he was a moment ago, creating a wall of fire, similar to Firebrand's fireball special when aimed down. Hit multiple times with above average shield damage and rather low damage and knockback. Launches up. Has average start up, long hitbox duration and low end lag. Wall of fire has low horizontal range and high vertical range. It can be absorbed, but not reflected. It disappears if Ridley is hit anyhow or platform under him disappears. This one is my favourite one, but we still have to test if its fair or useless.
  • Final Smash has lower duration that before.
  • (not sure, doesn't depends on me) Thanks to @themaziest, now Ridley uses new SFX that is mix of several versions of Ridley's roars. Its overall more varied and less repetitive.
So, its going to be pretty different from previous versions.
All of this and you still haven't changed his idle animation. :troll:

But in all seriousness these all sound great, can't wait to play has him soon. (hopefully)

Akzomp

Smash Cadet
NNID
AKG_Akzomp
I am very stumped on the installation! I did everything the same way the tutorial said, and I generally understood what I was doing (I was replacing the PM files having to do with Pit with Ridley's files), but nothing changes in Project M. Pit is still ordinary Pit. There are absolutely no changes made to Project M. I am using Dolphin to load, and everything works well, other than the fact that the Ridley mod isn't present in the game.

Also, I retried the installation, and I still didn't get it to work.

I would love to play this amazing mod!

PLEASE HELP!

(I bet I made some sort of very obvious mistake). :p

Last edited:

Akzomp

Smash Cadet
NNID
AKG_Akzomp
Have you rebuilt the .iso?
I run PM on Dolphin without a special Project M ISO. I am using Gecko OS. I am using a normal Brawl ISO and a virtual SD card with Project M on it. I know that you can create a Project M ISO for Netplay, but that isn't how I did it and the only way I know how to build an ISO is with the Anther's Ladder Netplay build.

Thanks for the reply!

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
Normally I'm pretty anti-ridley, but if I could offer advice on how to balance this guy, I'd say he needs to be more focused. Right now he plays like "Ridley" sure, but I think a more important goal is making him play like "a balanced character". A good way to balance him would be to zero in on what's important for ridley. do you want him to be a grappler because he always has a grab move in his fights? Do you want him to have air game because he flies and super metroid gives lots of options for that playstyle? Should his ground game be formidable as well because the 3D games play up that aspect? It seems like you said yes to all of these, big mistake, the guy's got more options than a swiss army knife. I hope this gets a version for the clone engine because my pitty pat is much too important for an instant win button on the select screen.

NXero

Smash Apprentice
That's all on Bagan though. There are some things he won't change no matter what. That said, he's not a "auto-win" character anymore. On the ground, all of his laggy moves make him easy to punish (Jigglypuff and rests destroy him pretty early, at ~15%). His grabs/throws are good, but the side B grab is really easy to dodge. His aerial game is his strongest point, he can follow you anywhere and get back to the stage.
...and that last point is what I don't like about him. If you don't kill him instantly from the stage, he will come back. Ridley almost never dies in the bottom blastzone and is really hard to edgeguard (a sideB glitch makes him get cheap kills on an edgeguarding opponent).
But he's still not broken. His big size makes it easy to hit him with projectiles (or anything else), he dies early off the top blastzone, is slow... He's probably the only character who becomes a punching bag when eating a super mushroom.

Bagan has been offline for a week, so I can't comment on his new down B, but the current one is BS and everyone knows it.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Tbh I think Ridley is the ultimate glass cannon atmo. He hits like a truck in the air and when your opponent ****s up at the ledge he can get gimps with ease. Juggling to death is also possible with him.

On the other hand... he's just SO huge. His hurtbox is just so big and his ground moves are so laggy that he doesn't have reliable answers to shield pressure at all. His OOS options are mediocre at best. He has good but relatively slow recovery options that can be covered with ease due to his size. He dies early because he's lighter than other big characters and his hurtbox kinda touches the blastzone earlier. (lol)

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
When is Project M 3.6 coming out, it was announced a while back, but never came

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
There is no actual release date, it's taking this long because the PMDTs only coder Magus is fixing bugs they find and new bugs keep showing up apparently. After 3.6 gets released the PMDT needs to find more coders because relying on just one guy isn't very efficient lol

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Normally I'm pretty anti-ridley, but if I could offer advice on how to balance this guy, I'd say he needs to be more focused. Right now he plays like "Ridley" sure, but I think a more important goal is making him play like "a balanced character". A good way to balance him would be to zero in on what's important for ridley. do you want him to be a grappler because he always has a grab move in his fights? Do you want him to have air game because he flies and super metroid gives lots of options for that playstyle? Should his ground game be formidable as well because the 3D games play up that aspect? It seems like you said yes to all of these, big mistake, the guy's got more options than a swiss army knife. I hope this gets a version for the clone engine because my pitty pat is much too important for an instant win button on the select screen.
Ridley is getting rebalanced for 2.0. He's almost completely different. Many of his moves are being changed and he even looks better.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
- The first idea sounds cool, simply for the fact that it's based on Prime 3. Though I think there may be a few better options from Omega Ridley that could be used as Ground Down B. One of the more intriguing attacks is when he shoves two energy spheres on the floor with his hands, creating a sort of energy cage around him. Admittedly, this attack was exclusive to Prime 3, and thus may be unfitting for regular Ridley to use... but then again, this is Smash Bros, where the lines between canon and non-canon can be blurred...maybe :)? There's another attack from Prime 3, though it's technically already in the Ridley mod as a ''wake-up'' attack, sort of. For those curious to see them in action, they're at 6:00 and 8:49 respectively on the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-hTM78SYY

- Second one would be a nice homage to not only Other M's fireball-on-the-floor-technique, but also Super Metroid's version of it. Remember how his 2D fireballs would create ''shockwaves'' that expanded on the sides of wherever they landed?
View attachment 54144
Other M's variant does this too, and seeing as how the Ridley mod's Air Down B is based on Meta/Omega Ridley's ground-stomp-shockwave, it would be a nice touch for both air and ground versions of Down B to have shockwave properties.

- Third one is, in my honest opinion, the least interesting.

- Fourth idea reminds me of a suggestion I made to you a while ago. It's the one based on Ridley from Zero Mission, where he shoots out fireballs in a spread-shot manner (similar to a shotgun), somewhat creating a wall of fire. Back then, I suggested this wall of fire should move slowly like Urien's Aegis Reflector from SF3 Third Strike.
View attachment 54145
But staying in place on the ground sounds more balanced, with the added bonus that it sends the opponent upwards. Anxious to see what you and your team of testers decide on!
It would look cool, but it is unfitting and even Smash's rules about canon won't really fix this.
I know about both of them and saw them many times thanks to...er...i think it was slowbeef's 30min+ part with Omega Ridley fight being the main focus.

...they acted like that in SM too?! Didn't know about that.

Yeah. Everyone thinks so and so do i. Its not very useful when he already has a high jump either.

I remember it. Im curious on what they will decide to choose too.
All of this and you still haven't changed his idle animation. :troll:

But in all seriousness these all sound great, can't wait to play has him soon. (hopefully)
Yeah. Now i should go to the courner.

Hopefully you and others will get it soon. But first, there is stuff to fix.
I wouldn't say that i said yes to each one of those. Replies of testers are better than what i would say. And instant win button is no longer his name.

Ok, im back and i want to show something:

I found a way to fix messed up thrown animations...but it will require a lot to be done. First of all, animations will have to be fixed, normals/UVs on his right arm and leg will also have to be fixed and i'll need to replace my right arm. Screenshot is a bit outdated (his neck is in better pose now and his toes don't look like this anymore).

This is 2nd version of the classic Ridley model. It has Brawl Ridley's wings, except fixed so they don't go apes**t. They will remain in this pose unless used to reduce file size and to avoid their large size being too noticable. They are not resized in any way. They are just folded. Also, red eyes and red spikes on the back are not intentional. Thats just Brawl Ridley's model. And here is a size comparison between classic and Other M Ridleys:

...Yeah.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Awesome. I always found it weird when Ridley's foot would stick out of his throat. And when his other arm would twist all over the place.

Wolley2xjd

It would look cool, but it is unfitting and even Smash's rules about canon won't really fix this.
I know about both of them and saw them many times thanks to...er...i think it was slowbeef's 30min+ part with Omega Ridley fight being the main focus.

Yeah. Everyone thinks so and so do i. Its not very useful when he already has a high jump either.

I wouldn't say that i said yes to each one of those. Replies of testers are better than what i would say. And instant win button is no longer his name.

I found a way to fix messed up thrown animations...but it will require a lot to be done. First of all, animations will have to be fixed, normals/UVs on his right arm and leg will also have to be fixed and i'll need to replace my right arm. Screenshot is a bit outdated (his neck is in better pose now and his toes don't look like this anymore).

This is 2nd version of the classic Ridley model. It has Brawl Ridley's wings, except fixed so they don't go apes**t. They will remain in this pose unless used to reduce file size and to avoid their large size being too noticable. They are not resized in any way. They are just folded. Also, red eyes and red spikes on the back are not intentional. Thats just Brawl Ridley's model. And here is a size comparison between classic and Other M Ridleys:

...Yeah.
Wow the Red eyes look good on him, So are you going to use these wings because if so how are you going to get over that bone problem that happened before or is this just for show?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Wow the Red eyes look good on him, So are you going to use these wings because if so how are you going to get over that bone problem that happened before or is this just for show?
I will use those wings because they look better and more fitting. Not all problems with them are solved (they still have a lot of bones), but i can get around those.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
ah, Bagan, you're back.

it's been a while :)
Yeah, it was.

So, firewall Down B is no longer considered to be used. Its rather useless considering what else he has (most of things its useful for can be done with his alt aerial neutral B, except better). And a simple jump like with Charizard's Down B is not considered either. Ground Bowser Bomb kind of special is in its place now. 3 more to go then.

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

I think you should go the Meta Knight route with his wings when he's jumping I don't know if you plan to use them for any attacks but I guessing that wouldn't be a great idea, now when I think about it what are you going to do about throws? without him using his wings his throws would be kinda boring but I guess that's where you'll save that extra space for unless you can simply resize his wings to reduce file space.

If it is possible then it would be a nice little throwback to how his wings looked in Super Metroid and on that note may I see how his wing size looks on the "Classic" model?​

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think you should go the Meta Knight route with his wings when he's jumping I don't know if you plan to use them for any attacks but I guessing that wouldn't be a great idea, now when I think about it what are you going to do about throws? without him using his wings his throws would be kinda boring but I guess that's where you'll save that extra space for unless you can simply resize his wings to reduce file space.

If it is possible then it would be a nice little throwback to how his wings looked in Super Metroid and on that note may I see how his wing size looks on the "Classic" model?​
While more references is nice, i still want to keep Smash's rule about characters' animations - only cartoonish characters like Mario, Charizard and Kirby can have parts of their bodies change in size while "serious" characters like Ganondorf, Samus, Link, etc. always have everything keep same size. And he isn't really using his wings for throws anyway. The only throw that will use them with classic Ridley will be his Up Throw. Others will either use fire breath or his tail. Besides, those are wings. They are supposed to be moved only when they are actually used (for example, when flying, using wings to attack or roaring). When not used, they should be folded.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
There's no way they HAVEN'T noticed, PM devs even helped out.

But what do you expect them to do? Put Ridley into the next PM version immediately just because? lol

invisibleman

Smash Apprentice
There's no way they HAVEN'T noticed, PM devs even helped out.

But what do you expect them to do? Put Ridley into the next PM version immediately just because? lol
HAH! i wish, oh well. dont good things come to those who wait? Dont they? DONT THEY?!!! please? (retreats to corner sobbing)

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice

...Yeah.
my only problem is the wings and the neck. the wings look like they were deflated and it looks like his neck could break off his body if the wind got too rough

MerryShadow

Smash Cadet

...Yeah.
Noice!
Will the hurtboxes be the same though? it seems like the wings and tail have more bones (or less?), and the head is bigger.
Anyway, it looks good.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
my only problem is the wings and the neck. the wings look like they were deflated and it looks like his neck could break off his body if the wind got too rough
Thats how wings usually look like when folded and his neck is too thin, but thats going to be fixed along with his rather large ribcage.
Noice!
Will the hurtboxes be the same though? it seems like the wings and tail have more bones (or less?), and the head is bigger.
Anyway, it looks good.
Its a completly separate PSA, so, no. Moveset won't be too different, but there will be enough of a difference. Kinda like with Ganondorf and Captain Falcon, except Falcon is the clone in this case.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Thats how wings usually look like when folded and his neck is too thin, but thats going to be fixed along with his rather large ribcage.
Since you're modifying the Brawl Ridley model's neck and ribcage I'd like to know, are you going to keep the default model with no changes made at all to the model in the download for those who want to use that model instead?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Since you're modifying the Brawl Ridley model's neck and ribcage I'd like to know, are you going to keep the default model with no changes made at all to the model in the download for those who want to use that model instead?
Sure. Head will still be smaller than usual, but thats it.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ok, just to keep things fresh. I was asking for help on KC-MM and Dr. agreed to help. I needed to have Ridley's model optimized and several things about it fixed. Mostly normals and stuff like this. Here is the result:

Now there is no weird shading on his wing membranes and his claws and teeth are just a single piece (by that i mean now they aren't made of several separate polygons). White tail blade is back too. It will make it easier to tell where the sweetspot is. Also, true Other M Ridley now has 80% accurate colors and recolors (shown below, in a spoiler).

This model wasn't fixed however. This is not something that i can't handle though. I know how to properly resize models now, so, i can just resize original model and replace things like materials and shaders. Oh, and updated CSPs, BPs and CSSs so they have real shading and stuff like this on them:

Note: Other M icons use same lighting as default icons. Its just that materials used make them darker. But i will most likely fix white recolor to be more, well, white.
Fun fact: default black Ridley's .pcs file size is 666kbs. Huh.

Top Bottom