• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
  1. Reuse vBrawl character (say, Bowser)'s shaders, color nodes (?) and materials;
  2. Remove spec and diffuse textures.
That is without thinking about Smash 3 rimlighting. Because then, Smash 3 rimlighting tutorial must be followed. Thats all i can say. I don't know if lighting issue is actually fixed (it should be) since i never had it happen.
Oh, okay. I'll just wait until you release it since I'm not experienced in editing those things. I'll let you know if it worked then (which it should because I regularly use Smash 3 with no issue).

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
WOW! @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros .... I take a break from smash/the forums for a bit and you've accomplished so much in that time. And you got PM devs contributing now too!?!?! That's awesome! I want to see this mod become an *Officially supported* Project M add-on! Like provided on their site as an optional download. But Unofficial is good too of course. But your work is really great and it can be a truly unique official add-on if the PMDT want to go in a route that includes really well made PSA, textures, maps etc. as "officially supported content". Your Ridley mod and Ashingda's Ganondorf mod are the first ones that pop in my head but there aren't that many high quality PM mods at the caliber your mod. Also it's a great way to please the fans without making something that might be unbalanced part of competition play (although I'm sure they can manage to balance him for competitive play).

Rant over sorry ;) Gonna test as soon as I can find the time. And I'm excited to see if brawl Ridley model works out (but although not he classic look I really like the way your Ridley looks, I believe you made a really good hybrid of multiple of Ridley's appearances.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
WOW! @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros .... I take a break from smash/the forums for a bit and you've accomplished so much in that time. And you got PM devs contributing now too!?!?! That's awesome! I want to see this mod become an *Officially supported* Project M add-on! Like provided on their site as an optional download. But Unofficial is good too of course. But your work is really great and it can be a truly unique official add-on if the PMDT want to go in a route that includes really well made PSA, textures, maps etc. as "officially supported content". Your Ridley mod and Ashingda's Ganondorf mod are the first ones that pop in my head but there aren't that many high quality PM mods at the caliber your mod. Also it's a great way to please the fans without making something that might be unbalanced part of competition play (although I'm sure they can manage to balance him for competitive play).

Rant over sorry ;) Gonna test as soon as I can find the time. And I'm excited to see if brawl Ridley model works out (but although not he classic look I really like the way your Ridley looks, I believe you made a really good hybrid of multiple of Ridley's appearances.
There's a pretty good (and silly) Waluigi mod being made. You should look at the videos.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
There's a pretty good (and silly) Waluigi mod being made. You should look at the videos.
It's taking a while. And some new stuff came up soooooooo.

Keep waiting for that one lol

@Bagan I'm trying to find the code again and I'll PM you when I find it. Or I'll post it here.

laurajax

Smash Rookie
Hi Bagan, this mod is soooo good it's so fun, youve done an amazing job, so I feel bad about having to ask you about this.
I used an ISO builder so I could play offline on dolphin, and everything seems to have worked perfectly, except that ridley still uses Pit's sounds, and mewtwo makes ridley noises! (except for his neutral air and smash attacks i think? all the vocal clips are wrong at least) Do you have any idea how that may have happened, or at least what I should do to fix it? Do you think just renaming some sound files from the mod download would work?
I also used your 223.sawnd file you posted earlier in the thread and I think it's the reason that the announcer refers to mewtwo as "fighting alloy team"

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hi Bagan, this mod is soooo good it's so fun, youve done an amazing job, so I feel bad about having to ask you about this.
I used an ISO builder so I could play offline on dolphin, and everything seems to have worked perfectly, except that ridley still uses Pit's sounds, and mewtwo makes ridley noises! (except for his neutral air and smash attacks i think? all the vocal clips are wrong at least) Do you have any idea how that may have happened, or at least what I should do to fix it? Do you think just renaming some sound files from the mod download would work?
I also used your 223.sawnd file you posted earlier in the thread and I think it's the reason that the announcer refers to mewtwo as "fighting alloy team"
You must use program called sawnds to insert Ridley's sawnd file into smashbros_sound.brsar if you are using Iso Builder.
...thats weird. I use same 223.sawnd file and Mewtwo is always called Mewtwo (on certain version of dolphin, he is *random high-pitched noice*, but it works just fine on others).

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
So experimenting on Classic mode gets me the result that Ridley still gives Pit's trophies; would this be able to be fixed or would that possibly cause more problems than it's worth?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Where do I find the .rar file? If you could post a link that would be awesome.
In the first post.

You know, i just found out that resolution for textures on the model i chose are incorrect. They all should be 512x512 (except for head, wings and tail texture because that one is 1024x512 by default, so, it should be 512x256 and wing membrane texture, which is 512xsomething by default) and since i have enough space for that, i will try to increase textures' resolution for higher quality. But SchAlternate's textures were made to fit 256x256 textures, so, it will be harder without having to redo them.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Higher texture quality is always nice. Whatever more you can get out of it is great, especially after we see how it looks with the next release's material changes.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I think Ridley's Neutral B should be like Greninja's in Sm4sh, at least on the ground, as in you charge it and auto fire at max charge but you can also throw it up early if you need

Cahalan

Smash Ace
In the first post.

You know, i just found out that resolution for textures on the model i chose are incorrect. They all should be 512x512 (except for head, wings and tail texture because that one is 1024x512 by default, so, it should be 512x256 and wing membrane texture, which is 512xsomething by default) and since i have enough space for that, i will try to increase textures' resolution for higher quality. But SchAlternate's textures were made to fit 256x256 textures, so, it will be harder without having to redo them.
Pro tip: Never re-size textures in BrawlBox; always do it in an external program for the best quality. My recommendation is Paint.NET since it can re-size texture at the best quality possible that it can do.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Pro tip: Never re-size textures in BrawlBox; always do it in an external program for the best quality. My recommendation is Paint.NET since it can re-size texture at the best quality possible that it can do.
It worked just fine previous times unless you mean scaling it up because i don't do that - quality can't be restored like that once texture is scaled down. As far asi know at least.
I think Ridley's Neutral B should be like Greninja's in Sm4sh, at least on the ground, as in you charge it and auto fire at max charge but you can also throw it up early if you need
Not possible. It will increase in damage and knockback, but everything else, from size of GFX to sound it makes upon contact, will remain same.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
How about just holding the fire, without increasing it's power, size, or anything? So one can use it for delayed mind game?
The thing is that Ridley is based on Pit, and Pit doesn't have any moves like that; not unless Palutena's Bow makes for "delayed mind game".

That, and Ridley already has enough advantages as is; a superb recovery, really good air game, excellent edgeguarding and good punch to his attacks. His only real weaknesses are his size and weight, and making it so that he has a projectile he can pull out at any point only makes his already-excellent edgeguarding abilities even more excellent. Making it so he has a instant-use projectile would make his edgeguarding less "really good, but still able to be circumvented" into "practically impossible to circumvent", which goes over the OP ledge and straight into absurdity. It'd make him the vanilla Meta Knight of Project M; he'd be too good.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The thing is that Ridley is based on Pit, and Pit doesn't have any moves like that; not unless Palutena's Bow makes for "delayed mind game".

That, and Ridley already has enough advantages as is; a superb recovery, really good air game, excellent edgeguarding and good punch to his attacks. His only real weaknesses are his size and weight, and making it so that he has a projectile he can pull out at any point only makes his already-excellent edgeguarding abilities even more excellent. Making it so he has a instant-use projectile would make his edgeguarding less "really good, but still able to be circumvented" into "practically impossible to circumvent", which goes over the OP ledge and straight into absurdity. It'd make him the vanilla Meta Knight of Project M; he'd be too good.
It is possible to do and it doesn't matters if Pit can do it or not.

Not really instant-use projectile though. More like it doesn't needs to really be timed because he can just hold it until opponent is close enough and has low chance of dodging it. The real issue is, howerever, that it will be rather useless for mind games at its current state since both projectile and animation itself are slow. So, they have to be sped up, but then you might as well just spam projectiles without thinking even if damage and knockback will be reduced. Its better to leave it at its current state - just a slow, but powerful long-ranged finisher similar to Samus' Super Missiles, but stronger and slower with no acceleration at all.

Last edited:

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
My brother first thought that the fire balls were cheap. Then he started canceling them with Mario's fireballs. Now that I mention it I recall a crazy glitch occurring when Ridley was grabbed or thrown. I'll post a picture of it soon. The glitch causes no problems, it just looks weird.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
My brother first thought that the fire balls were cheap. Then he started canceling them with Mario's fireballs. Now that I mention it I recall a crazy glitch occurring when Ridley was grabbed or thrown. I'll post a picture of it soon. The glitch causes no problems, it just looks weird.
If you mean his right half (right arm, fingers on right hand and right leg) is messed up, then i know about it since day 1. It happens because of the way Other M models are rigged and not because of coding or anything like that.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Not possible. It will increase in damage and knockback, but everything else, from size of GFX to sound it makes upon contact, will remain same.
Well actually i was thinking you use the current size as the maximum charge
But I'm only really suggesting this because I feel it comes out a bit too quick

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well actually i was thinking you use the current size as the maximum charge
But I'm only really suggesting this because I feel it comes out a bit too quick
It can't change in size at all without it being always that big.
Its slower than Samus' Super Missiles and fireball itself is also slower and doesn't accelerates either. So, i think its fine.

Last edited:

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
If you mean his right half (right arm, fingers on right hand and right leg) is messed up, then i know about it since day 1. It happens because of the way Other M models are rigged and not because of coding or anything like that.
Oh, so there's no way to fix it? It's not that big of a deal really. You have to pause to notice it.
It can't change in size at all without it being always that big.
Its slower than Samus' Super Missiles and fireball itself is also slower and doesn't accelerates either. So, i think its fine.
They can also be canceled by weak projectiles like Mario's fireballs.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh, so there's no way to fix it? It's not that big of a deal really. You have to pause to notice it.

They can also be canceled by weak projectiles like Mario's fireballs.
Its very noticable when he is grabbed by Ganondorf and Captain Falcon's Up B, Flame Choke, Koopa Klaw, Lucario's Side B, Snake's grab, DK's FThrow, etc. There is a way to fix it (i don't know how difficult it is), but it will require every animation to be edited to have proper rotation values so they look normal and that will be hard and tiring to do.

Do they at least beat Fox and Falco's blasters? If no, then yeah, not a very reliable projectile.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Can you please make another video on how to install Ridley for 1.9 as I am very technology inept and have no idea what i am doing.
Yeah I could make a new video if you really want. I was going to wait for 2.0, but I'm assuming it will be the same process as it is now.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I know that I might sound like a broken record here, but I just wanted to ask this. Is the range for the fireball going to be unchanged in the next update? As it currently is, it has the most range out of any projectile in the game. Best example I can think of is when playing in the Training Room stage I have Ridley up against the wall at the far left of the stage. I have him jump up a few times, just to avoid hitting anything, and let out a fireball. The fireball travels the entire length of the stage and keeps going even after leaving the stage until it's off-screen. That's way more reach than Samus's fully charged shot or Fox/Falco's blasters combined!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I know that I might sound like a broken record here, but I just wanted to ask this. Is the range for the fireball going to be unchanged in the next update? As it currently is, it has the most range out of any projectile in the game. Best example I can think of is when playing in the Training Room stage I have Ridley up against the wall at the far left of the stage. I have him jump up a few times, just to avoid hitting anything, and let out a fireball. The fireball travels the entire length of the stage and keeps going even after leaving the stage until it's off-screen. That's way more reach than Samus's fully charged shot or Fox/Falco's blasters combined!
Would it really matter if it would end after some time unless it ends really quickly? Compared to projectiles you listed, it is slow and can be cancelled out by weak projectiles like Mario's fireball.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
Would it really matter if it would end after some time unless it ends really quickly? Compared to projectiles you listed, it is slow and can be cancelled out by weak projectiles like Mario's fireball.
I honestly am not sure. I mostly made the suggestion in the hopes that it would be able to make Ridley a more balanced fighter. Slow or not, it doesn't seem fair for any character to have a move that reaches that far unless it's part of a Final Smash.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I honestly am not sure. I mostly made the suggestion in the hopes that it would be able to make Ridley a more balanced fighter. Slow or not, it doesn't seem fair for any character to have a move that reaches that far unless it's part of a Final Smash.
Then i'd probably limit it to a bit shorter than FD's length.

Last edited:

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Its very noticable when he is grabbed by Ganondorf and Captain Falcon's Up B, Flame Choke, Koopa Klaw, Lucario's Side B, Snake's grab, DK's FThrow, etc. There is a way to fix it (i don't know how difficult it is), but it will require every animation to be edited to have proper rotation values so they look normal and that will be hard and tiring to do.

Do they at least beat Fox and Falco's blasters? If no, then yeah, not a very reliable projectile.
Just tested, Ridley's fire balls go through Fox's and Falco's blasters.

BCorgs

Smash Rookie
Hey Bagan, I was wondering, is there anyway to install the mod to run on console versions of PM? Love the hack!

laurajax

Smash Rookie
You must use program called sawnds to insert Ridley's sawnd file into smashbros_sound.brsar if you are using Iso Builder.
...thats weird. I use same 223.sawnd file and Mewtwo is always called Mewtwo (on certain version of dolphin, he is *random high-pitched noice*, but it works just fine on others).
Oh! I didn't know that, that fixed the issue with ridley's sounds! I ended up not using the 223.sawnd file anyway though so i don't know what exactly caused the mewtwo announcer problems, but theyre gone now
Thank you! being able to hear the roars makes the mod all the better

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Wanted to share something:

Looks promising and Shin_Kitaro (who made few other mods like Shovel Knight mod) also said he will reduce...something on the model to reduce chance of slowdown. The only thing that bothers me about Pirate Ridley's...coat...whatever it is is that sleeves on it are too thick because that would lead to clipping. Everything else is ok though.
And yes, this is Ridley's T-Pose. Its done like that so wings, tips of his fingers and tail wouldn't look stiff.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
So I was screwing around with BrawlBox for the heck of it, and I decided to put Ridley's model over Giga Bowser's animations.

And the results were.....creepy.
Longley.png

Maybe this is Ridley's true form? :p

Top Bottom