• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
okay critique time.

his DownB needs a few tweaks in order to not make it silly. even with the speed loss there is literally no reason for a Ridley player to not want to have it active. you can charge it without caring about any possible repercussions.

this is because the moment you start charging it instantly starts reflecting projectiles and the armor already exists. and even though he's vulnerable to throws if you do stop the charge before it's complete he has a full charge of his armor, regardless of how far along the charging animation was.

this is akin to stopping Lucas's Offense Up and he has the buff anyways. or interrupting Samus charging the Charge Shot buildup and she has a full charge. and even though Melee Mewtwo got to keep the Shadowball charge, it was only after the charge was complete.

one of the things we discussed at casuals last night was potential fixes to this issue without loosing the canonical move that honestly looks amazing and works exactly like it should once it is completely active.

1: it shouldn't have reflective/armor properties until the charge is complete.

2: to keep Ridley from being a complete sitting duck(face) he should be able to roll or shield out of it and hang onto the charge until he can safely charge it further. like inbetween stocks or when the opponent is otherwise incapacitated, like every other character with a chargeable move.

These two things would keep Ridley players from using it as a get out of knockback free card and add more utility to the move without making it either under or overpowered. I am in favor of slightly increasing the buff time and giving it a cooldown inbetween uses but I was the only one in our group who thought so lol

and while his tail being intangible while he is on the ground or in the air makes sense to keep his hurtbox from being even bigger, his tail should have small hurtboxes during attacks using it, sans the tip. his disjoints put Marth to shame even if they are slow, specifially because the sweetspot is not all that hard to hit with. having him be able to bair at the stage to prevent edgeguard attempts with a huge move that has no hurtbox is some Uniel nonsense lol

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
So how do i get this fella in my Dolphin version of PM

Wanna make a video on him ;) :rotfl:
OOOOOOOOOO

IT'S ALAX

Well, first of all I'd wait for a little bit since the latest versions are kinda buggy and crash after every match.. so you'd probably want to wait for a little bit.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
okay critique time.

his DownB needs a few tweaks in order to not make it silly. even with the speed loss there is literally no reason for a Ridley player to not want to have it active. you can charge it without caring about any possible repercussions.

this is because the moment you start charging it instantly starts reflecting projectiles and the armor already exists. and even though he's vulnerable to throws if you do stop the charge before it's complete he has a full charge of his armor, regardless of how far along the charging animation was.

this is akin to stopping Lucas's Offense Up and he has the buff anyways. or interrupting Samus charging the Charge Shot buildup and she has a full charge. and even though Melee Mewtwo got to keep the Shadowball charge, it was only after the charge was complete.

one of the things we discussed at casuals last night was potential fixes to this issue without loosing the canonical move that honestly looks amazing and works exactly like it should once it is completely active.

2: to keep Ridley from being a complete sitting duck(face) he should be able to roll or shield out of it and hang onto the charge until he can safely charge it further. like inbetween stocks or when the opponent is otherwise incapacitated, like every other character with a chargeable move.

These two things would keep Ridley players from using it as a get out of knockback free card and add more utility to the move without making it either under or overpowered. I am in favor of slightly increasing the buff time and giving it a cooldown inbetween uses but I was the only one in our group who thought so lol

and while his tail being intangible while he is on the ground or in the air makes sense to keep his hurtbox from being even bigger, his tail should have small hurtboxes during attacks using it, sans the tip. his disjoints put Marth to shame even if they are slow, specifially because the sweetspot is not all that hard to hit with. having him be able to bair at the stage to prevent edgeguard attempts with a huge move that has no hurtbox is some Uniel nonsense lol
I'd take note of this if we seek to make him equal

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Sorry, it still froze after match was over. No good luck for us...
D*MNIT!
okay critique time.

Speed decrease isn't the only debuff. L-Cancelling also gets disabled. Super Armor is disabled after taking enough damage (around 90% i think), leaving him with rather situational reflector since not everyone has reliable projectiles (it really hurts only Samus and probably "spacies"). So, since he gets noticably slower, opponent can just attack him while he is suffering from the start up or end lag of his attacks (and since he won't flinch until taking enough damage, opponent can attack him more than once unless those attacks are not fast enough) and dodge roll behind him if he attempts to attack.
I could make it chargable, but i don't know how to do that and i don't know how to prevent charging sound from abruptly ending. If i would know how to also give cooldown to attacks, then we would have flight mode already.

Thats not possible without messing up hurtbox that makes him reflective (it will move to another hurtbox for whatever reasons) and that will pretty much disable it except for one speciffic spot.
So how do i get this fella in my Dolphin version of PM

Wanna make a video on him ;) :rotfl:
Haven't noticed your user name before. I'll give short instructions right now, but its better to not use him at current state since he crashes the game upon finishing the match anyhow (either by winning, losing or leaving it before it ends).
Virtual SD card way:
  1. Follow this tutorial:
  2. Import "projectm" and "codes" folders from archive into that SD card so they would merge with currently existing folders.
  3. Done.
Iso Builder way (i recommend this one since it has no audio issues and somehow has higher emulation speed or something):
  1. Download this: https://mega.co.nz/#!YFdyWSLB!DI6ktpHUk5NitQUR_Z5MhsP62soT3SycaVZDoAll5D4.
  2. Extract the files into a folder.
  3. Put your brawl iso into the same folder you extracted the files.
  4. Import "projectm" and "codes" folders from archive into the same folder you extracted the files into so they would merge with currently existing folders.
  5. Use sawnds to import "10.sawnd" from projectm/pf/sfx into smashbros_sound.brsar (you will need to put this file into the same folder you put this program into).
  6. Replace smashbros_sound.brsar in the Iso Builder folder with file from where you put sawnds into.
  7. Run Build_ISO v3.5 and start installation.
  8. After its over, everything is done.

i use dolphin with the virtual SD i will help
Good. Now i can at least try to do it in trial-and-error way. But first a question - does it crashes for you too?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Sorry, it still froze after match was over. No good luck for us...
Back to square one then I see... Are we out of options/things to test? Since you kinda took it upon yourself to be the guinea pig for it on the Wii, I hope you don't give up. Just wish I still had more time during the week, then I could maybe trial and error with the files too, but alas.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I won't give up I hope Bagan doesn't either haha.
I am raring to go for 1.77! :-D
Then you'd probably be disappointed. This is my last attempt. Then, i will give up. Im tired of this. Making animations is fun. Adding coding is comlicated, but still fun. But fixing glitches i don't even have while everyone else does is not just boring - its incredibly irritating. Anyway, here is link to v1.77: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yeh78n3ybzf08vp/FitPit.pac?dl=0 i don't remember changes done, but they won't affect balancing anyhow.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Then you'd probably be disappointed. This is my last attempt. Then, i will give up. Im tired of this. Making animations is fun. Adding coding is comlicated, but still fun. But fixing glitches i don't even have while everyone else does is not just boring - its incredibly irritating. Anyway, here is link to v1.77: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yeh78n3ybzf08vp/FitPit.pac?dl=0 i don't remember changes done, but they won't affect balancing anyhow.
D-: Alright. I'll test this out.
If not, I'll stick with 1.0's move set and anything you make after this will be added besides FitPit and the animation for the moves. I hate to see you give up but I cannot blame you.
I swear its the down special ehehe...

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
D-: Alright. I'll test this out.
If not, I'll stick with 1.0's move set and anything you make after this will be added besides FitPit and the animation for the moves. I hate to see you give up but I cannot blame you.
I swear its the down special ehehe...
All that will be added are just spikeless and desaturated versions of his costumes and those are just extra things.
It wouldn't crash in v1.5 if that would be the case since it wasn't touched until v1.75.

Speaking of which, they are basically done. I just need to test and upload them.

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
All that will be added are just spikeless and desaturated versions of his costumes and those are just extra things.
It wouldn't crash in v1.5 if that would be the case since it wasn't touched until v1.75.

Speaking of which, they are basically done. I just need to test and upload them.
Neat. Alright in the hospital ATM I'll test it around 4 if someone wants to do it before me they can. After this, break then K. Rool right?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Neat. Alright in the hospital ATM I'll test it around 4 if someone wants to do it before me they can. After this, break then K. Rool right?
No. First, i need to completly finish him even if he will still keep crashing (balancing improvement and animation improvement). Then a long break. Then, i will need someone to make a high-quality model of K.Rool (with a tail to keep things interesting and accurate to DKC).

Dos efes

Smash Cadet
So I just tried 1.77 on Dolphin. While the balancing is most welcome, as is the fixing of the costume errors, I'm sad to report that the mod still crashes after every fight. Tested it in 1v1, standard competitive rules. After the final stock, the announcer says Game Set or whatever it is, and then the game will just freeze completely, no sound at all.

I'm hopeful someone will help you iron out these glitches, but if not, 1.0 will always remain, although unbalanced, stable.

Thanks for the hard work again, bagan.

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
No. First, i need to completly finish him even if he will still keep crashing (balancing improvement and animation improvement). Then a long break. Then, i will need someone to make a high-quality model of K.Rool (with a tail to keep things interesting and accurate to DKC).
Maybe one day you can come back to this lol

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
After all of this reports, i still find something weird about all of that - why it doesn't crashes for me until a lot of matches have passed since my version is exactly same as what i released. My codes are exactly same as well, so, that couldn't be the reason.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
After all of this reports, i still find something weird about all of that - why it doesn't crashes for me until a lot of matches have passed since my version is exactly same as what i released. My codes are exactly same as well, so, that couldn't be the reason.
How did you fix these glitches in previous versions? Or rather, what is the version of this mod that has no glitches what so ever?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
How did you fix these glitches in previous versions? Or rather, what is the version of this mod that has no glitches what so ever?
Re-imported all of GFX (it was done to fix fireballs and Metroid capsule crashing the game) and slightly reduced animations file size. That didn't worked this time however. The glitchless version (or at least one with no major glitches) is v1.0, but its not balanced as well as v1.5 (which crashes the game upon anyhow going to result screen or just leaving training mode).

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Did 1.0 include Pytor's GCT file?
No. But you can just use v1.75 with v1.0's FitPit.pac and FitPitMotionEtc.pac files so you would have Pyotr's GCT file, fixed costume order, toned down Ridley-X roar and other things not related to animations and moveset from v1.75 while not having that crashing glitch.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If we did that, what would we lose that was present in 1.5+?
Just look at changelog on previous page. Everything that is related to moveset, GFX, SSE compatibility and animations.
We lose the balanced Ridley, yeah.
^ This.

So, the choice is either have a well balanced, but unstable version (1.5 and above) or a not very well (but still not broken) balanced, but fully functional version (1.0).

Last edited:

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Greetings all! I have been following this project since it started last year and the mod is simply amazing! @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros You have done a superb job bringing Ridley to life in a way that is true to both the spirit of Smash and the Metroid series! I tested 1.77 this morning on the Wii through Homebrew and everything worked great (normals, specials, aerials, FS, item stuff, taunts, winning animations, etc.) The only exception is that whenever Ridley tried to grab, it froze the game, resulting in the high pitched freezing noise. Besides all of his colors being mixed up and the Grab freeze, everything that I could test worked fantastically!

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
I think your sanity is valued more than a fixed Ridley lol.
I feel if you have to see him one more time you'd react like Samus did in Other M.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Greetings all! I have been following this project since it started last year and the mod is simply amazing! @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros You have done a superb job bringing Ridley to life in a way that is true to both the spirit of Smash and the Metroid series! I tested 1.77 this morning on the Wii through Homebrew and everything worked great (normals, specials, aerials, FS, item stuff, taunts, winning animations, etc.) The only exception is that whenever Ridley tried to grab, it froze the game, resulting in the high pitched freezing noise. Besides all of his colors being mixed up and the Grab freeze, everything that I could test worked fantastically!
Thats something new. I mean grab freezing the game, not mixed up colors.
I think your sanity is valued more than a fixed Ridley lol.
I feel if you have to see him one more time you'd react like Samus did in Other M.
...I wouldn't say so...
Well, i see him every time i decide to play Project M, so, its more like if i would have one more failed attempt at glitch fixing i will get that reaction.

Last edited:

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Thats something new. I mean grab freezing the game, not mixed up colors.

...I wouldn't say so...
Well, i see him every time i decide to play Project M, so, its more like if i would have one more failed attempt at glitch fixing i will get that reaction.
In addition to the grab freeze, the rate at which the Metroid Capsule animation showed up was very high. I'd say most of my matches ended in that animation. The improvements to him since V.1 make him feel so much better and balanced. Maybe the grab freeze is the only thing wrong with 1.77?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
In addition to the grab freeze, the rate at which the Metroid Capsule animation showed up was very high. I'd say most of my matches ended in that animation. The improvements to him since V.1 make him feel so much better and balanced. Maybe the grab freeze is the only thing wrong with 1.77?
Maybe. Try v1.75 and then if it won't work, v1.76 (it must be somewhere in the previous page or a bit earlier). Maybe it will get fixed. Metroid Capsule being encountered that often can't be fixed and probably is just...er...forgot the word for this kind of thing.

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
That's the first I heard of that as well.
Man, I really hope it gets fixed. Like really lol.
I love him too much. My eyes are on the move set.
Recreating the moves again may be the only option, a very tedious thing I'm sure.
From like scratch but with the timing and power of your updated versions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom