• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Find it here. Skip to around 2:00. Also pretty sure this video will help you out with moveset ideas.
Er...video is not showing up or whatever it should have been.
the crash fix should be uploaded ASAP!:chuckle:
I need to do something else as well before uploading it. Its gonna take a while to upload for me, so, might as well upload v1.75.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ah, very well then. I'll just wait for whenever it's posted. Glad to hear most of the solution was already found though.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
As for aerial mobility few were complaining about - that won't be done. I tried slightly reducing it and it felt stiff and uncomfortable. And that is not all problems that come from that. Without this, Ridley has nothing going for him other than his range (which doesn't really matters when only tail blade can do anything worth attacking), fast aerial attacks (UAir, BAir, FAir and maybe DAir), strong projectile (which travels slowly and comes out slowly), good recovering abilities, temporary light armor (which breaks after taking enough damage and not only slows him down, but also disables L-Cancelling) and attack power. Even then, he has weaknesses that can't be overlooked:
  • Large size;
  • Low weight;
  • Low falling speed;
  • Start up and end lag issues (some actions can be punished with a Falcon Punch without it really being dangerous);
  • Downright disgusting sourspots (3% for most of them);
  • Low ground speed;
  • Very dangerous to use vertical recovery.
So, without aerial mobility, he is like Melee Mewtwo or Melee Ganondorf without any ATs or just Bowser with higher range, fireballs instead of fire breath, better recovery and no super armor. So, i won't reduce it. I won't increase it either because that would be ridicolous.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
I could have sworn I posted it. Here it is for real this time.

Edit: Don't know why it's starting at the end. Not familiar with these forums yet.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
As for aerial mobility few were complaining about - that won't be done. I tried slightly reducing it and it felt stiff and uncomfortable. And that is not all problems that come from that. Without this, Ridley has nothing going for him other than his range (which doesn't really matters when only tail blade can do anything worth attacking), fast aerial attacks (UAir, BAir, FAir and maybe DAir), strong projectile (which travels slowly and comes out slowly), good recovering abilities, temporary light armor (which breaks after taking enough damage and not only slows him down, but also disables L-Cancelling) and attack power. Even then, he has weaknesses that can't be overlooked:
  • Large size;
  • Low weight;
  • Low falling speed;
  • Start up and end lag issues (some actions can be punished with a Falcon Punch without it really being dangerous);
  • Downright disgusting sourspots (3% for most of them);
  • Low ground speed;
  • Very dangerous to use vertical recovery.
So, without aerial mobility, he is like Melee Mewtwo or Melee Ganondorf without any ATs or just Bowser with higher range, fireballs instead of fire breath, better recovery and no super armor. So, i won't reduce it. I won't increase it either because that would be ridicolous.
I think he really should have the best aerial mobility. He is a pterodactyl after all. That being said, it is a really strong thing to have, especially since combining it with his size allows him to cover so much space. In theory any character with big range and good mobility is overpowered because you can just attack and run away from your opponent. Puff and Mewtwo have the range, but lack the speed. Fox, Sonic, and Falcon have the speed, but lack the range. The problem with Ridley is that he really should have both. Which make him really strong compared to most of the cast. The only other character I can think of with good range and speed and the fire emblem characters. Marth and Roy and fast and have good range, but are both weak to projectiles and have poor recoveries. Ridley is only mildly weak to projectiles. Ike has ending lag so he is balanced. You could try this to help balance Ridley out. This is really one of the only things I could think of. Honestly the way I see it, Ridley should be:

(1) Big
(2) Have good range
(3) Have great aerial mobility

These things make him really, really strong when combined so in order to balance it he needs one of these things

(4a) a good amount of ending lag
(4b) do low damage and knockback
(4c) have light ending lag and do mediocre damage and knockback

That should be enough so if he misses and has ending lack, he can be punished, or if he is weak, then it wouldn't matter so much if it take a while to get in on him.

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Don't fix what isn't broken, right?
The platform freeze issue, were you able to resolve it?
You know, down special sudden removal of ground freeze on screen thingy?
My only other suggestion is what your working on. That Meta Ridley costume. Wait, perhaps the end battle results could be edited to be more... "Ridley" you know (talking about the KO heads, I still have the Emblem problem too).
Also if can set up the download as beautiful as you did with 1.5 that would be great (the folders already being in an order where all I gotta do is put it on the SD card and merge/replace everything). It was so awesome of you.
My final question is a bit unrelated but I'm sure you were asked before Bagan... Where was the idea of you joining PM going? That's all, love your work!
Thank you for your charity. :-D

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I could have sworn I posted it. Here it is for real this time.

Edit: Don't know why it's starting at the end. Not familiar with these forums yet.
Probably because of the link you posted. With Youtube's share button, it sets video to certain point, so, its better to copy link from the...forgot how it was called...But its on the top.
Don't fix what isn't broken, right?
The platform freeze issue, were you able to resolve it?
You know, down special sudden removal of ground freeze on screen thingy?
My only other suggestion is what your working on. That Meta Ridley costume. Wait, perhaps the end battle results could be edited to be more... "Ridley" you know (talking about the KO heads, I still have the Emblem problem too).
Also if can set up the download as beautiful as you did with 1.5 that would be great (the folders already being in an order where all I gotta do is put it on the SD card and merge/replace everything). It was so awesome of you.
My final question is a bit unrelated but I'm sure you were asked before Bagan... Where was the idea of you joining PM going? That's all, love your work!
Thank you for your charity. :-D
I know how to fix it - make him go into falling state if he is suddenly in the air. I did same thing for ground neutral B.
To fix stocks and things like that, you will have to either manually import them into common5.pac file (if you have something else installed related to CSPs, stocks and stage icons) or use common5.pac file included in v1.5 (it doesn't freezes). To fix emblem, use this file: https://mega.co.nz/#!axI3WRiZ!3oq-fVWH7qGNRTGgVEkiIYXwMxuQL6baNrW7fwbbUd4 (thanks to PyortLuzhin for this one) It will also fix costumes of other characters and alt team colors for Ganondorf, Link, etc. The only problem is that Ridley's costumes order is messed up, with red being black, green being red, blue being green and black being red. But i already have solution for that, so, it will be fixed in v1.75.
As for Meta Ridley...he REALLY needs to be finished. Like ASAP.
I think he really should have the best aerial mobility. He is a pterodactyl after all. That being said, it is a really strong thing to have, especially since combining it with his size allows him to cover so much space. In theory any character with big range and good mobility is overpowered because you can just attack and run away from your opponent. Puff and Mewtwo have the range, but lack the speed. Fox, Sonic, and Falcon have the speed, but lack the range. The problem with Ridley is that he really should have both. Which make him really strong compared to most of the cast. The only other character I can think of with good range and speed and the fire emblem characters. Marth and Roy and fast and have good range, but are both weak to projectiles and have poor recoveries. Ridley is only mildly weak to projectiles. Ike has ending lag so he is balanced. You could try this to help balance Ridley out. This is really one of the only things I could think of. Honestly the way I see it, Ridley should be:

(1) Big
(2) Have good range
(3) Have great aerial mobility

These things make him really, really strong when combined so in order to balance it he needs one of these things

(4a) a good amount of ending lag
(4b) do low damage and knockback
(4c) have light ending lag and do mediocre damage and knockback

That should be enough so if he misses and has ending lack, he can be punished, or if he is weak, then it wouldn't matter so much if it take a while to get in on him.
More like Giant Purple Space Pterosaur Dragon Pirate than just pterosaur...
I already went for ending lag (and start up in few cases) way of balancing things. Seriously, if his attacks can be punished with something like Falcon Punch (even his normal grab as seen in the livestream during last few matches), its already saying something.

Also, i found out why Ridley's tail went all stiff and straight in the livestream - FrameZeroGaming used models that still had bright colors and normal materials and shaders. Those also didn't used that trick that more-or-less fixed this stiff tail and wings issue during throws.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
More like Giant Purple Space Pterosaur Dragon Pirate than just pterosaur...
I already went for ending lag (and start up in few cases) way of balancing things. Seriously, if his attacks can be punished with something like Falcon Punch (even his normal grab as seen in the livestream during last few matches), its already saying something.

Also, i found out why Ridley's tail went all stiff and straight in the livestream - FrameZeroGaming used models that still had bright colors and normal materials and shaders. Those also didn't used that trick that more-or-less fixed this stiff tail and wings issue during throws.
I do remember seeing his grab being punished by a falcon punch, but I'm pretty sure that was just because the Ridley player was being bad. In the neutral game (when it is the easiest to be punished) you really only need to use Fair, Bair, and some fireballs, those moves can't really be punished from what I saw (well the fireballs can if you are being dumb with them I guess).

Meta Ridley sounds awesome BTW

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I do remember seeing his grab being punished by a falcon punch, but I'm pretty sure that was just because the Ridley player was being bad. In the neutral game (when it is the easiest to be punished) you really only need to use Fair, Bair, and some fireballs, those moves can't really be punished from what I saw (well the fireballs can if you are being dumb with them I guess).

Meta Ridley sounds awesome BTW
Fair point (i would take out FAir out of this list since you have to be pretty close to opponent for it to be useful and its rather predictable since there is nothing else Ridley player should do at this range and while facing opponent other than maybe Up B without it being either dangerous to do or just useless and maybe fireballs since they now have long start up and travel slowly). Ridley player was being bad, but thats not really the point.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Fair point (i would take out FAir out of this list since you have to be pretty close to opponent for it to be useful and its rather predictable since there is nothing else Ridley player should do at this range and while facing opponent other than maybe Up B without it being either dangerous to do or just useless and maybe fireballs since they now have long start up and travel slowly). Ridley player was being bad, but thats not really the point.
Oh sorry I wasn't trying to imply that the Fair was too good, I'm just trying to say that the player in the live stream wasn't the best, and that that Fair and Bair are really what you should be using in the neutral.

I think the fireballs and the Fair are pretty balanced. Maybe the fireballs should do so much damage, but they are fine for knockback and start up time.

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Probably because of the link you posted. With Youtube's share button, it sets video to certain point, so, its better to copy link from the...forgot how it was called...But its on the top.

I know how to fix it - make him go into falling state if he is suddenly in the air. I did same thing for ground neutral B.
To fix stocks and things like that, you will have to either manually import them into common5.pac file (if you have something else installed related to CSPs, stocks and stage icons) or use common5.pac file included in v1.5 (it doesn't freezes). To fix emblem, use this file: https://mega.co.nz/#!axI3WRiZ!3oq-fVWH7qGNRTGgVEkiIYXwMxuQL6baNrW7fwbbUd4 (thanks to PyortLuzhin for this one) It will also fix costumes of other characters and alt team colors for Ganondorf, Link, etc. The only problem is that Ridley's costumes order is messed up, with red being black, green being red, blue being green and black being red. But i already have solution for that, so, it will be fixed in v1.75.
As for Meta Ridley...he REALLY needs to be finished. Like ASAP.
By chance, which model of Meta Ridley are we talking about?
I'd be ecstatic if it was the Model from Prime (he's mostly metal here, including his face, a nice silvery gray). If not its still cool, its just my absolute favourite look for Ridley. If you ever need references for it I got like a billion good quality pics if him.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
What's this about Meta Ridley? Is it gonna be another skin, a separate mod, or what? I'm confused.

Whatever the case, Prime's Meta over the Corruption one please.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
By chance, which model of Meta Ridley are we talking about?
I'd be ecstatic if it was the Model from Prime (he's mostly metal here, including his face, a nice silvery gray). If not its still cool, its just my absolute favourite look for Ridley. If you ever need references for it I got like a billion good quality pics if him.
A custom one since just rigging Brawl or MP3 models won't really work due to large difference in proportions. I have all parts for him ready for use (from wings, helmet and jaw replacement to tail blade and shin replacements), but they need to be assembled first and i can't do that myself unfortunately (but i would if i would have everything required). I will try to make another mock up image of them assembled to show what im going for.
What's this about Meta Ridley? Is it gonna be another skin, a separate mod, or what? I'm confused.

Whatever the case, Prime's Meta over the Corruption one please.
Another SET of skins. 5 total - default, red, green, blue and black with silver armor and golden outlines (but no giant cannon on his back or ridicolously long claws). They won't replace anything BY DEFAULT and will remain like those armored alts in Smash 3's Mewtwo pack. Using them would require replacing one of the recolors though.

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
A custom one since just rigging Brawl or MP3 models won't really work due to large difference in proportions. I have all parts for him ready for use (from wings, helmet and jaw replacement to tail blade and shin replacements), but they need to be assembled first and i can't do that myself unfortunately (but i would if i would have everything required). I will try to make another mock up image of them assembled to show what im going for.

Another SET of skins. 5 total - default, red, green, blue and black with silver armor and golden outlines (but no giant cannon on his back or ridicolously long claws). They won't replace anything BY DEFAULT and will remain like those armored alts in Smash 3's Mewtwo pack. Using them would require replacing one of the recolors though.
Honestly I don't care what the cost I'd only use him when made lol.
So kinda like how Ike has his Armoured forme? Neat. I wish I could help but I have no abilities that you need. T.T
I can at least keep on routing for you.
And ah so we are doing the 90% metal Meta Ridley? Undoubtedly perfect.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Honestly I don't care what the cost I'd only use him when made lol.
So kinda like how Ike has his Armoured forme? Neat. I wish I could help but I have no abilities that you need. T.T
I can at least keep on routing for you.
And ah so we are doing the 90% metal Meta Ridley? Undoubtedly perfect.
Yes. Except unusable in team battles unlike Meleedorf, OOTLink, etc.
Kinda. Not 90% and more like MP1 Meta Ridley (except with organic feet and neck).

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Yes. Except unusable in team battles unlike Meleedorf, OOTLink, etc.
Kinda. Not 90% and more like MP1 Meta Ridley (except with organic feet and neck).
Just as long as he looks like this. As opposed to brawl's model. As you can see he has mostly metal plating including his face, a nice silver as opposed to the purple organic face he had in SSBB with a robotic jaw.
Its so beautiful this way. <3. <3
Let me be frank, I am honestly quite smitten with that Iron Head of his. The looks, the ferocity, the Meta, the Ridley. If its within your power to make it look like this head above you sir have made me the happiest person alive. :-D
Again they (PM) should really recruit you and make your works official. Your far beyond whatever standard they deem worthy in my opinion.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Just as long as he looks like this. As opposed to brawl's model. As you can see he has mostly metal plating including his face, a nice silver as opposed to the purple organic face he had in SSBB with a robotic jaw.
Its so beautiful this way. <3. <3
Let me be frank, I am honestly quite smitten with that Iron Head of his. The looks, the ferocity, the Meta, the Ridley. If its within your power to make it look like this head above you sir have made me the happiest person alive. :-D
Again they (PM) should really recruit you and make your works official. Your far beyond whatever standard they deem worthy in my opinion.
Its just the way shaders are done on his head. Model is nearly exactly same as in SSBB except for the wing size, tail length and chin spike.
My work still requires some polish, but yeah. That would be great.
Didn't noticed that part. I tried it a while ago and wasn't rejected, but wasn't accepted either because they had all staff they needed or something.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Found proof that his upper jaw is still mostly organic and model itself isn't that much different from Brawl model:
As you can see, they just improved it to be more fitting for a Wii game during transition to SSBB. And changed proportions. The worst change done was changing one of the wing hologram textures.

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros
I guess I CAN see it haha. Mind using a similar colour style/shading then?
And well now that's a bummer. :-(
You should've been accepted.
:Edit:
My apologies if I come off as pushy, pest-like, or something negative its not my intentions I assure you!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I guess I CAN see it haha. Mind using a similar colour style/shading then?
And well now that's a bummer. :-(
You should've been accepted.
:Edit:
My apologies if I come off as pushy, pest-like, or something negative its not my intentions I assure you!
That probably won't be required.
Nah, no problems with that.
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros I have in my rar file the fixed costumes(red csp is red in game etc for 1.0 and everything) so you can just use the common 5 file from there (it is from version 1.0)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbrh1qooqyw3ach/Pm with ridley.rar?dl=0
You must fix portraits/BPs and result screen portraits too, not just common5.

So, here it is:

Didn't put much effort into it since i knew it will be gone once i will close the window. This is just to show overall what i want it to be. Chest plate here is more of a placeholder - i like what it was in previous version more. Anyway, i mixed both real Meta Ridley, my Ridley and few cyborg Zebesians to get this. Obviously textures don't match, but that could easily be fixed. I used desaturated textures for this one so he would look more like he does in Metroid Prime. I left feet and neck organic since i couldn't do anything about them. And just a detail you can't see here:

Think of it as whatever you want. I just couldn't put that away, but it looks nice IMO. I left out one of the polygons turned on and it got stretched like that, kinda ruining it, and this part is misaligned slightly. Ignore clipping part at the bottom - its not like its the actual model and its supposed to look good only from certain angles.

Last edited:

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058

So, here it is:

Didn't put much effort into it since i knew it will be gone once i will close the window. This is just to show overall what i want it to be. Chest plate here is more of a placeholder - i like what it was in previous version more. Anyway, i mixed both real Meta Ridley, my Ridley and few cyborg Zebesians to get this. Obviously textures don't match, but that could easily be fixed. I used desaturated textures for this one so he would look more like he does in Metroid Prime. I left feet and neck organic since i couldn't do anything about them. And just a detail you can't see here:

Think of it as whatever you want. I just couldn't put that away, but it looks nice IMO. I left out one of the polygons turned on and it got stretched like that, kinda ruining it, and this part is misaligned slightly. Ignore clipping part at the bottom - its not like its the actual model and its supposed to look good only from certain angles.
OMG that is amazing but, is the v1.75 out?

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555

So, here it is:

Your doing God's work. <3 Only one question...
Is he missing the horns or...?

Zaelkath

Smash Rookie

So, here it is:

I literally exclaimed "Holy s***" when I saw this. The head and the wings in particular are absolutely amazing.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I really can't tell if you are joking or if we are just going to have a lot of updates.
I am sure we will have updates, but only major updates, so, its not that much of a big deal. I don't have anyone who could help with the model (KingJigglypuff said that before he will really do anything, parts have to be edited to fit Ridley, so, he won't help at least for now), so, it probably won't go anywhere for a while.
By then Ridley will be (almost) perfectly modified I am sure so we'll just have to kill him until then.
Very much worth the wait.
Nah, it will take a while to do. Project M even at this point isn't perfected, so, it takes a while even with a large team. And killing him never works.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
I am sure we will have updates, but only major updates, so, its not that much of a big deal. I don't have anyone who could help with the model (KingJigglypuff said that before he will really do anything, parts have to be edited to fit Ridley, so, he won't help at least for now), so, it probably won't go anywhere for a while.

Nah, it will take a while to do. Project M even at this point isn't perfected, so, it takes a while even with a large team. And killing him never works.
Lol yeah. It did with Metroids though.
Considering you are one person if not a small group, that may be a bit. You need a team haha.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Lol yeah. It did with Metroids though.
Considering you are one person if not a small group, that may be a bit. You need a team haha.
That, less distractions (d*mn you, SGB, VT and BSC!) and more good music to listen while doing something (reusing Cawe Dweller, Dark Intelligence or Nemesis' Theme for Nth time isn't very...interesting).

Top Bottom