• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
About the NAir, I have to say that this is really our mod, not Sd00m's
Personally, I don't really care if you helped out on the mod (which, by the way, I question considering I assumed Bagan did most, if not all, of the work alone, but if not my apologies), I'm just concerned as to why Bagan thinks SD's animation doesn't make sense, when the current NAir animation is pretty ridiculous (though I won't knock the attacks's usefulness).

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I'm just concerned as to why Bagan thinks SD's animation doesn't make sense, when the current NAir animation is pretty ridiculous (though I won't knock the attacks's usefulness).
It's because of file size limitations; we're already nearing the file size limit, so we need to be careful to avoid going over that limit, otherwise the mod won't work properly anymore. It's a consequence of having to replace Pit, sadly; we're limited by what Pit's file sizes are.

Last edited:

MerryShadow

Smash Cadet
Personally, I don't really care if you helped out on the mod (which, by the way, I question considering I assumed Bagan did most, if not all, of the work alone, but if not my apologies), I'm just concerned as to why Bagan thinks SD's animation doesn't make sense, when the current NAir animation is pretty ridiculous (though I won't knock the attacks's usefulness).
There is also the problem of the attack's usefulness. You cannot seriously expect such different attacks to have the same uses, and we can't just go around changing moves because they look prettier without taking their uses into account. SDoom's Nair is too different to not affect the balance we worked to create, same with his Fsmash.
To give a simple example, if SDoom decided to reanimate, let's say, Fox's DAir, and he made an animation that cannot logically be a multihit move (like some kind of divekick), it would be a drastic change to the character, and no one would accept such a change just because the new animation is "prettier" or "makes more sense". That's the situation we're in.

To be short: No disrepect to him or his work, but SDoom's an animator, not a game designer. No one of us testers or Bagan are qualified game designers, but we designed this mod, it's understandable we're not going to change its design based on reasons like "it's prettier" and whatnot.

Also Bagan's NAir is similar to Wolf's, and i don't hear anyone saying Wolf's NAir is ridiculous; And SDoom's Nair is not more original, it's literally Roy's Nair, SDoom himself said he had something like Roy's Nair in mind before animating it.

Last edited:

Depressedzombieluigi

Smash Apprentice
I'll just say that if Bagan still has interest in joining the PMDT when the applications open up again soon, he should be prepared to give up his right to be the sole decider on whatever design choices that he wants to make on his mod (assuming the PMDT make his mod official upon him joining the team of course). From what I've gathered, most decisions on moves/costumes/mechanics/characters made by the PMDT have to be agreed on by the majority if not all of the members and if Bagan becomes part of the team and is the only one who is against a certain decision, the majority of the PMDT will ignore it and do it without his approval. And I have no doubt in my mind that Bagan could be a valuable asset to the team if he successfully joins, but if he does join, he would also involuntarily gives up his right to make big design choices on not just Ridley (assuming he's included as an official character) but any other characters he works on at the team as well. For example, lets say Bagan successfully joins the team, and the first thing the members talk about is Ridley's Nair (relevant topic anyway). Obviously Silentdoom along with the rest of the team would probably be on board with the spinning fire animation change. This leaves Bagan with the only opinion that opposes the change. So what do they do? They overrule his opinion and go ahead with Silentdoom's animation instead.

Last edited:

MerryShadow

Smash Cadet
I'll just say that if Bagan wants to join the PMDT when the applications open up again soon, he should prepared to be willing to make design changes to give up his right tobe the only decider on whatever design choices that he wants to make on his mod (assuming the PMDT make his mod official upon him joining of course). From what I've gathered, lots of decisions on moves/costumes/mechanics made by the PMDT have to be agreed on by the majority if not all of the members and if Bagan is part of the team and is the only one who is against a certain decision, the majority of the PMDT will ignore it and do it without his approval. And I have no doubt in my mind that Bagan would be a valuable asset to the team if he successfully joins, but if he does join, he would also involuntarily gives up his right to make big design choices on not just Ridley (assuming he's included as an official character) but other characters he works on at the team as well.
I wholeheartedly agree, but that's not the problem at hand.

Another thing: As Ridleylash said, to Bagan and us testers, the primary concern is balance, gameplay. Looks only come second.
If you want to convince us to use SDoom's moves, tell us why they're better tools for Ridley's gameplay, how they complement his kit better, how they make him a more balanced character, instead of telling us they look better, which is a given coming from an animator as talented as SDoom.
You don't see people complaining about how Jiggs' upB is poorly animated, but how it's too situanional a tool and doesn't help her gameplay: talk theoric, not artistic.

Depressedzombieluigi

Smash Apprentice
I wholeheartedly agree, but that's not the problem at hand.

Another thing: As Ridleylash said, to Bagan and us testers, the primary concern is balance, gameplay. Looks only come second.
If you want to convince us to use SDoom's moves, tell us why they're better tools for Ridley's gameplay, how they complement his kit better, how they make him a more balanced character, instead of telling us they look better, which is a given coming from an animator as talented as SDoom.
You don't see people complaining about how Jiggs' upB is poorly animated, but how it's too situanional a tool and doesn't help her gameplay: talk theoric, not artistic.

Well then how about this: you guys recreate Sdoom's Nair animation and test it to see how you can balance the move to increase it's viability. It's worth giving this animation a shot instead of shooting it down without testing it to see if it has any potential first. I already suggested making it a multi-hitting fire move with more horizontal range around Ridley but less vertical range compared to his current animation. It would essentially sacrifice vertical range for more horizontal range as well as being a quicker attack, and you guys could test this out in gameplay to see how it would affect Ridley's competitive viability.

Last edited:

Depressedzombieluigi

Smash Apprentice
And as for the Forward Smash claw swipe Silentdoom made, I still think it could simply replace Ridley's current Forward Smash while still keeping the hitbox/frame data of the old F smash. It would essentially keep the move the same, while also looking more appealing to players.

MerryShadow

Smash Cadet
Well then how about this: you guys recreate Sdoom's Nair animation and test it to see how you can balance the move to increase it's viability. It's worth giving this animation a shot instead of shooting it down without testing it to see if it has any potential first. I already suggested making it a multi-hitting fire move with more horizontal range around Ridley but less vertical range compared to his current animation. It would essentially sacrifice vertical range for more horizontal range as well as being a quicker attack, and you guys could test this out in gameplay to see how it would affect Ridley's competitive viability.
That is what i'd do personally, gotta see if Bagan's willing to do it.

And as for the Forward Smash claw swipe Silentdoom made, I still think it could simply replace Ridley's current Forward Smash while still keeping the hitbox/frame data of the old F smash. It would essentially keep the move the same, while also looking more appealing to players.
Except it's not disjointed, which means in the situation where you hit a shield at full range, SDoom's smash can be shieldgrabbed, unlike Bagan's. Even with identical frame datas, that alone makes Bagan's a better move (animation excluded), considering its downsides (startup and need to be grounded, mostly).

Last edited:

Depressedzombieluigi

Smash Apprentice
Well then in that case I'd just like Bagan to change the Forward Smash to the claw swipe completely as I still think it's a better move.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
...Ok, what the f*** happened? I haven't seen this kind of debate for a while.

And why not? To be frank, it's a better idea than the neutral air he has currently and A LOT MORE plausible.
And a lot less useful, no matter how its done. This is also what matters. Also, somersaulting is more plausible than being able to rotate by simply moving your torso while wings aren't even folded. And you get Screw Attack from Ridley-X anyway, so, why not?
Somersaults make sense. Being able to rotate your body 720 degrees by simply moving your torso does not, especially when wings are not folded.
And i did most of the work (various model fixes, Side B and .rel that makes it work, some of coding, etc. were done by guys like KingJigglypuff, pikazz, etc. and all of them are listed in the readme), but Ridleylash and other testers still helped me with balancing and bugs.
It's because of file size limitations; we're already nearing the file size limit, so we need to be careful to avoid going over that limit, otherwise the mod won't work properly anymore. It's a consequence of having to replace Pit, sadly; we're limited by what Pit's file sizes are.
I wouldn't really say this is the issue (but it can be a threat to this mod).
I'll just say that if Bagan still has interest in joining the PMDT when the applications open up again soon, he should be prepared to give up his right to be the sole decider on whatever design choices that he wants to make on his mod (assuming the PMDT make his mod official upon him joining the team of course). From what I've gathered, most decisions on moves/costumes/mechanics/characters made by the PMDT have to be agreed on by the majority if not all of the members and if Bagan becomes part of the team and is the only one who is against a certain decision, the majority of the PMDT will ignore it and do it without his approval. And I have no doubt in my mind that Bagan could be a valuable asset to the team if he successfully joins, but if he does join, he would also involuntarily gives up his right to make big design choices on not just Ridley (assuming he's included as an official character) but any other characters he works on at the team as well. For example, lets say Bagan successfully joins the team, and the first thing the members talk about is Ridley's Nair (relevant topic anyway). Obviously Silentdoom along with the rest of the team would probably be on board with the spinning fire animation change. This leaves Bagan with the only opinion that opposes the change. So what do they do? They overrule his opinion and go ahead with Silentdoom's animation instead.
Im not really interested in this at this point because they have better animators and coders anyway, but im sure they would use my animation because its more useful and doesn't makes the attack useless when compared to other attacks he has. Besides, they wouldn't keep current model (since, according to Nanobuds, it doesn't aesthetically fits in the game) and would instead use Brawl model, but that would require completly remaking the animation.
I already tested it (with modified aerial alt Neutral B animation because it takes a while to make animations and i don't want to make animation only to throw it away after 5 minutes). Current NAir is still better and more useful since it doesn't misses small characters and has no blind spots (SDo0m's fails to hit anyone above, below and behind him unless opponent is big). Even without comparing to old version, it still is useless when FAir and BAir are faster (not in BAir's case though), safer, stronger and have more range. I already have problems with giving a reason to use UTilt and FTilt over USmash and DSmash.
As MerryShadow said, its not possible. In that FSmash animation, he also moves forward while he stays in place in current FSmash. Another thing is that tail attacks don't clash with other attacks (Ridley's tail always could go through Samus' Screw Attack, so, i decided to keep this detail along with tail's invincibility) while claw swipes do. For the sake of consistency, it would have to be kept same way (same goes for SDo0m's NAir since all firebreath attacks hit only once, like in Other M...for some reasons...but whe had fire that can block Samus' way and knock her down in Magmoor Caverns, so, whatever).

Short version: balance over visuals. SilentDom is still a great animator. Stills needs to learn to properly pose Ridley's toes though.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Well then in that case I'd just like Bagan to change the Forward Smash to the claw swipe completely as I still think it's a better move.
Didn't... MerryShadow just specify why BaganSmashBrother's Forward Smash was worlds better than SilentDoom's while explaining the Claw Swipe Smash's disadvantages? And yet you argue that the current F-Smash in the mod should nevertheless be completely replaced because you think it's a better move?

What.

And about SilentDoom's Nair... just by looking at it, one can see the attack has too many blindspots that would leave Ridley wide open.

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else annoyed by Austin Murphy's Why Ridley Isn't Playable YouTube video? As if the Mod hasn't improved since then. The description is aggravating. Talk about a fanboy who lacks imagination of his own.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Bagan, how/where can I get the Ridley model you currently use in Brawlbox?
From the Brawl Vault entry. You should have it if you still have my mod stored somewhere.
Anyone else annoyed by Austin Murphy's Why Ridley Isn't Playable YouTube video? As if the Mod hasn't improved since then. The description is aggravating. Talk about a fanboy who lacks imagination of his own.
It was made in March. And some things were pretty broken at that time (including all of those spikes).

Last edited:

Akzomp

Smash Cadet
NNID
AKG_Akzomp
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros

I found a bug with the aerial Side B (don't know if it is relevant or if you are already aware of it or not). This has happened to me only once, but when I was playing a match as Ridley against a CPU, when Ridley tried to grab it with the Side B in the air, the CPU (Ike) seemed to stick to the bottom of Ridley, going through the floor of the stage, then after half a second reverting back up to normal.

Specifications:
The game was run off of Dolphin.
This is Ridley 2.1 on Project M 3.6.

I have uploaded a video of the replay. Watch what happens at about 0:09. I wanted to let you know about this just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icp21xdIta8&feature=youtu.be

MerryShadow

Smash Cadet

I found a bug with the aerial Side B (don't know if it is relevant or if you are already aware of it or not). This has happened to me only once, but when I was playing a match as Ridley against a CPU, when Ridley tried to grab it with the Side B in the air, the CPU (Ike) seemed to stick to the bottom of Ridley, going through the floor of the stage, then after half a second reverting back up to normal.

Specifications:

I have uploaded a video of the replay. Watch what happens at about 0:09. I wanted to let you know about this just in case.

This might be caused by Ridley being hit the same frame he grabs.
Bagan, does Ridley have grab armor on sideB? or just intangibility?

EDIT:
You can see they are not pretty good players in this video, Nair and Dair can be airdodged easily, it's not like you can't see them coming, and Bair can be shielded to avoid getting dragged off-stage. They were just judging without learning counterplays first, which is a problem every patchable game has, even PM.
Doesn't change the fact Nair, Dair and Bair were arguably broken, but still.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Specifications:

This is a very rare bug that im aware of, but don't know how to fix. It happens because Ridley got hit upon grabbing Ike. Aerial Side B, after i had to reinsert all of the coding, goes into grab success part of the grab if hitbox connects, but Ridley still can be hit before he becomes intangible (something that was done to prevent this bug from happening a lot more often). Its just as likely as hitting opponent right before getting grabbed by normal grab. The difference is that there is no armor on this grab while there is some on normal grabs.
This might be caused by Ridley being hit the same frame he grabs.
Bagan, does Ridley have grab armor on sideB? or just intangibility?

EDIT:

You can see they are not pretty good players in this video, Nair and Dair can be airdodged easily, it's not like you can't see them coming, and Bair can be shielded to avoid getting dragged off-stage. They were just judging without learning counterplays first, which is a problem every patchable game has, even PM.
Doesn't change the fact Nair, Dair and Bair were arguably broken, but still.
He becomes intangible (like during Final Smashes) once he grabs his opponent, but not before that. There is also like 1 frame or even less during which Ridley can be hit, but opponent is still grabbed.

I wouldn't say its arguable (NAir had ridicolous range, DAir was easily spammable and BAir, while it was simply gorgeous, was f***ing broken).

Last edited:

Depressedzombieluigi

Smash Apprentice
Phew! Animating in Brawlbox is tough! But what I'm trying to animate is a new jab move for Ridley that would involve him taking a quick, large bite in front of him that has slight startup of him opening his mouth and moving his head back before taking a bite. It would be a one-hit move with decent knockback similarly to Ganon's jab and would send the opponent at a Sakurai angle, thus allowing Ridley to follow-up by short-hopping and continuing the combo in the air. So what do you think Bagan? Is this a good idea?

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Wait i'm lost, what are these for?
There are instructions in the download, but I might as well post a version of them here too. Download the old files, and then replace the "FitRidley.pac" file in the old PSA files section with the new FitRidley.pac (the first link in the post you quoted). Then, you'd rename the files in the PSA files folder to suit the naming conventions of the character that you want to replace (i.e. FitPurin, FitPurin00, FitPurinMotionEtc), replace the module file in the module folder of your PM installation (i.e. ft_purin in SD:\projectm\pf\module), and replace the old PM codes with the new codeset that I included (i.e. in the Over Jigglypuff folder, copy the RSBE01.gct and replace the RSBE01.gct in your codes folder on your SD card with the one you just copied). If you follow those instructions correctly, the game should load Ridley instead of Jigglypuff.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
I think you can use 7-Zip or similar program instead of WinRar. You can also like download it in a little bit less...legal way, but who cares about it? WinRar doesn't really punishes you for using the trial version 5 years after its over either.
I think .rar can compress things better than a .zip file.
Also, you DON'T have WinRar? Most of the things these days are put into .rar archives, with some .7z-s here and there.

And the Brawl Vault entry has reached over 7000 downloads. 13000 more until we'll reach the heavens, but thats going to take a while.

EDIT: released Extra Recolors pack:

Click on the banner to go to the Brawl Vault entry. They all should be working just fine, but im not sure. They certainly work flawlessly on Dolphin.
Now i can go back to the OP.
Hey sorry if this question has already been asked but

how do you Install the extra colors?

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
It was made in March. And some things were pretty broken at that time (including all of those spikes).
He should state in his description admitting that his video is now false and state that the Mod has been improved. His dishonesty is disrespectful.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
He should state in his description admitting that his video is now false and state that the Mod has been improved. His dishonesty is disrespectful.
You need to calm your ****, man. Going a little overboard with "Muh Ridley"

BrewElfinLagann

Smash Rookie
First of all, Bagan, I must praise your work and your dedication to this Ridley mod.
The titular character has been the butt of the fan base and Sakurai's decisions for over a decade.
But thanks to you, no matter what, us Ridley fans can finally enjoy our favourite Space Pirate.

Now onto my question.

I have been having a very difficult time adding Ridley's other colour schemes, and an even harder time getting Ridley's Lair to work.

I have no idea where to put the Extra Colors, and while I managed to get Ridley's Lair up and running, it still appears as Skyloft on the Stage Select. And I can't replace it's music with Ridley's own.

Also, this is probably already explained, but is there anyway to make the announcer say "Ridley" over "Pit" ?

If it helps explain anything, I don't know how to edit the RSBE01.gct , and I simply put Ridley's music in the " strm " folder and didn't replace anything.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Phew! Animating in Brawlbox is tough! But what I'm trying to animate is a new jab move for Ridley that would involve him taking a quick, large bite in front of him that has slight startup of him opening his mouth and moving his head back before taking a bite. It would be a one-hit move with decent knockback similarly to Ganon's jab and would send the opponent at a Sakurai angle, thus allowing Ridley to follow-up by short-hopping and continuing the combo in the air. So what do you think Bagan? Is this a good idea?
Yes, it is tough. But fun with proper music.
No. It doesn't makes much sense when he has very long arms, long tail, etc. that can be used just as quickly. And his head isn't very big anyway.
Hey sorry if this question has already been asked but

how do you Install the extra colors?
You just pick recolor you want, put it into Pit's folder and rename it as something like FitPit0X.pac (or .pcs). X in this case is recolor's number.
  • 0 = default
  • 1 = red
  • 2 = green
  • 3 = blue
  • 4 = black
  • 5 = Other M
  • 6 = NES
  • 7 = Meta

Its pretty obvious that video is outdated and he most likely forgot about it. No big deal.
First of all, Bagan, I must praise your work and your dedication to this Ridley mod.
The titular character has been the butt of the fan base and Sakurai's decisions for over a decade.
But thanks to you, no matter what, us Ridley fans can finally enjoy our favourite Space Pirate.

Now onto my question.

I have been having a very difficult time adding Ridley's other colour schemes, and an even harder time getting Ridley's Lair to work.

I have no idea where to put the Extra Colors, and while I managed to get Ridley's Lair up and running, it still appears as Skyloft on the Stage Select. And I can't replace it's music with Ridley's own.

Also, this is probably already explained, but is there anyway to make the announcer say "Ridley" over "Pit" ?

If it helps explain anything, I don't know how to edit the RSBE01.gct , and I simply put Ridley's music in the " strm " folder and didn't replace anything.
Thanks.

I explained where to put Extra Recolors in this post. For Ridley's Lair icons, you'll have to edit sc_selmap.pac in projectm>pf>menu2. There should be a tutorial for this kind of thing somewhere here or on KC-MM. As for music, it should be renamed to P01, P02, P03 and P04. It doesn't matters which one is renamed as what. All that matters is that they should be called P01, P02, P03 and P04.

Yes, but it involves completly replacing the announcer. There is no way to make Brawl or PM announcer say "Ridley" instead of "Pit". The only announcer available that says "Ridley" is one from Super Smash Bros Crusade.

BrewElfinLagann

Smash Rookie
No. It doesn't makes much sense when he has very long arms, long tail, etc. that can be used just as quickly. And his head isn't very big anyway.

You just pick recolor you want, put it into Pit's folder and rename it as something like FitPit0X.pac (or .pcs). X in this case is recolor's number.
  • 0 = default
  • 1 = red
  • 2 = green
  • 3 = blue
  • 4 = black
  • 5 = Other M
  • 6 = NES
  • 7 = Meta

Its pretty obvious that video is outdated and he most likely forgot about it. No big deal.

Thanks.

I explained where to put Extra Recolors in this post. For Ridley's Lair icons, you'll have to edit sc_selmap.pac in projectm>pf>menu2. There should be a tutorial for this kind of thing somewhere here or on KC-MM. As for music, it should be renamed to P01, P02, P03 and P04. It doesn't matters which one is renamed as what. All that matters is that they should be called P01, P02, P03 and P04.

Yes, but it involves completly replacing the announcer. There is no way to make Brawl or PM announcer say "Ridley" instead of "Pit". The only announcer available that says "Ridley" is one from Super Smash Bros Crusade.

• 0 = default
  • 1 = red
  • 2 = green
  • 3 = blue
  • 4 = black
  • 5 = Other M
  • 6 = NES
  • 7 = Meta

Thanks.

Thank you very much, you Gôd of Death you

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I didn't know the franchise was called Ridley.

Also, since your'e working on Dark Samus, if @Dark-Samus-Lives wants I can send you the most recent build I have assuming he hasn't sent you one or he has a more updated version.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I didn't know the franchise was called Ridley.

Also, since your'e working on Dark Samus, if @Dark-Samus-Lives wants I can send you the most recent build I have assuming he hasn't sent you one or he has a more updated version.
I think he didn't meant titular character of Metroid, but who knows. And even then, part of it still applies to Samus - she gets worse and worse since Melee because of Sakurai's decisions with nerfing her for no reasons (she wasn't broken in Melee and she was one of the worst characters in Brawl, but he still nerfed her).

Nah, i want to make all of it from scratch.
Thank you very much, you Gôd of Death you
No problems.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
ignored the ruse cruise Sakurai is pulling out tonight

just keep on working on the mod

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
oh, and hey Bagan, make sure you tell Tabuu to keep on working on that K.Rool PSA

he's really gonna need it now due to what's happening.

Top Bottom