• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M 3.5 Dr. Mario PSA (DEMO DL LINK IN OP)

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
PyotrLuzhin's Dr. Mario PSA for Project M 3.5
Current Version: V.0.1

I've always been a pretty big Dr. Mario fan, so I was ecstatic that he entered Project M in some form. However, I also feel that he has the potential to stand alone as his own character, so I've decided to create a PSA that gives him a fresh, unique playstyle. Ideally, I'd like for Dr. Mario and Mario to have a Ganon/Captain Falcon sort of relationship in the end, but with perhaps more changes. I'd love comments and suggestions, and I will update the OP with videos and images as I make progress with the character.

Characteristics:
Weight: 104 (Slightly heavier than Mario)
Fall Speed: .108 (A bit higher than Mario)

Current Moveset:
Color coding:
Green: Mostly complete or completed
Yellow: Partially competed
Orange: Started, but not even remotely finished
Red: Completely Unimplemented
I plan to merge the image and moveset sections at some point, so images are coming soon for all of his moves.

Normal Moves:
Jabs 1 - 2: A jab followed by a powerful, electrified punch that knocks the opponent over.
Ftilt: Dr. Mario releases an electrical pulse by clapping his hands together. If the sweetspot connects, then the move will send the opponent flying.
Utilt: A slow but powerful shoryuken-style uppercut that deals a large amount of damage and knockback, but has awful range.

Dtilt: Dr. Mario does a low electrical jab that sends the opponent on a similar trajectory to Mario's leg sweep. However, it deals more damage and has greater starting lag.
Fsmash: Dr. Mario slashes twice with an electrified scalpel and, if A is pressed again after the second swing is completed, he will lunge forward with a violent stab.
Dsmash: Identical to Mario's, but sends the opponent upward like Luigi's Dsmash.

Usmash: Identical to Mario's for now. Suggestions are welcome!
NAir: Dr. Mario's NAir will have its Melee properties fully restored

FAir: Similar to Mario's in appearance, but will no longer spike. Instead, the move will function more like Ganondorf's FAir.
DAir: The effect type will become Light instead of Normal for an improved cosmetic effect.
UAir: Dr. Mario does a quick swipe that has poor range but, if sweetspotted, has high KO potential.
BAir: Has high startup lag and a small window in which it can connect, but the sweetspot is extremely powerful.

Specials:
Neutral: Dr. Mario fires off his trademark pills.
Forward: Dr. Mario whips out his cape, which does not help his recovery at all. However, it deals more damage and has an electrical effect.
Up: A powerful, single-hit uppercut with a slightly-weaker Luigi-esque sweetspot.

Down. Dr. Mario points at the opponent and releases a short-range shock that stuns briefly.
Throws:
Forward: Dr. Mario does his trademark palm shock attack as a throw.
Up: Dr. Mario does a leaping upward toss.

Down: Dr. Mario holds his patient down and shocks him violently.
Back: Dr. Mario twirls the opponent around in an electrical vortex, similar to Mario's Down-B

Videos:
Coming Soon!

Download Link:
Beta V.0.3: https://mega.co.nz/#!ychxUTTS!QHV13C0XHDveTl_1T7Sbo7B2rD5YyHclrkud-RV3wpo
Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download/e21l87zwc2gwwdb/Dr._Mario_Beta_V.0.3_Over_Olimar.zip

Thanks for checking out the thread, and please leave comments/suggestions/criticism!

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Here's an idea for the back throw: Have it start like mario's but have it form an ELECTRIC TORNADO akin to mario's down b.

As for the Tilts: the Up tilt could have a bit slower start up, but function more like an electric shoryuken, the down tilt could be Doc firing electrically charged pills/electricity toward the ground (one for each arm, one on each side), and for the USmash, you can leave it the way it is for now...

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
I've recorded a video of Dr. Mario's forward and back throws in action. Let me know what you think! Sorry about the video quality; I'm looking for better recording software at the moment.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Also, I'm almost done with a version of Mario that no longer uses pills. I'll release two options: one replaces the pills with hammers, and the other will shoot fireballs across all of the costume slots. Here's a screenshot of the hammer option:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
One question, will the scalpel model have to be in every costume file or will it only be in the FitDoctor.pac / FitDoctorMotionEtc.pac files if there is a model for the scalpel?

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
One question, will the scalpel model have to be in every costume file or will it only be in the FitDoctor.pac / FitDoctorMotionEtc.pac files if there is a model for the scalpel?
Currently, the electric scalpel is actually made out of common GFX instead of a model to save space, just in case I need more room with filesize limits. Since the blade is electrified, it made more sense while I was coding it to just use GFX that the game already has. This is roughly what it looks like:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Currently, the electric scalpel is actually made out of common GFX instead of a model to save space, just in case I need more room with filesize limits. Since the blade is electrified, it made more sense while I was coding it to just use GFX that the game already has. This is roughly what it looks like:
Good to know as the Smash 3 team is doing Doctor Mario skins in the upcoming update. ;)
Also for the USmash, have it be chargeable, but the longer it's charged the less horizontal range you have as a balance for more power,knock back and some slight increase in vertical range as well.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Here's a demonstration of Dr. Mario's utilt. Should I speed up the animation at all? Also, I'm thinking about making the utilt his up smash.

P.S. Does anyone know how the recording software OBS's Game Capture option works? It worked for my first video, but now it just displays a black screen when I try to record Dolphin. I had to use the Window Capture option, and you can see how that worked out...

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Here's a demonstration of Dr. Mario's utilt. Should I speed up the animation at all? Also, I'm thinking about making the utilt his up smash.

P.S. Does anyone know how the recording software OBS's Game Capture option works? It worked for my first video, but now it just displays a black screen when I try to record Dolphin. I had to use the Window Capture option, and you can se e how that worked out...
I don't know anything about OBS Game Capture but the animation for his Utilt should be sped up slightly maybe times 1.2~1.35 but no more than 1.4 times faster. If you are changing the USmash in to the Up-B, try merging the two moves together (A faster UTilt with the old Up-B's sweet-spot and height, with the addition of having it chargeable while only on the ground: sacrificing horizontal range for higher vertical movement, power and knock back increasing at a gradual rate. Be warned if you don't release it after awhile it will slowly damage him ala Kirby's hammer swing in Smash 4.) Though what would his new Utilt be... a short ranged but strong knee-kick?

As for finding an easier way to record, the official EZCAP.TV 116 and some Sony Vegas magic (I'll send you the thing I used to have version 12 for free) will give you crisp game-play. The downside is that you have to record from the console, but if you still want to record from dolphin, try having the window at full-screen if that helps at all.

One last thing, if possible try to recreate Doc's Final Smash from smash 4...

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
I don't know anything about OBS Game Capture but the animation for his Utilt should be sped up slightly maybe times 1.2~1.35 but no more than 1.4 times faster. If you are changing the USmash in to the Up-B, try merging the two moves together (A faster UTilt with the old Up-B's sweet-spot and height, with the addition of having it chargeable while only on the ground: sacrificing horizontal range for higher vertical movement, power and knock back increasing at a gradual rate. Be warned if you don't release it after awhile it will slowly damage him ala Kirby's hammer swing in Smash 4.) Though what would his new Utilt be... a short ranged but strong knee-kick?

As for finding an easier way to record, the official EZCAP.TV 116 and some Sony Vegas magic (I'll send you the thing I used to have version 12 for free) will give you crisp game-play. The downside is that you have to record from the console, but if you still want to record from dolphin, try having the window at full-screen if that helps at all.

One last thing, if possible try to recreate Doc's Final Smash from smash 4...
If you could send me the Sony Vegas, that would be phenomenal! I need anything other than what I have haha. Actually, I might use your Up-B idea for the Down-B, since it might be nice for Dr. Mario to have a second recovery option given his nerfed cape. He could use a lightning punch that can be charged much like how you've already described. My only concern at this point would be that the charging animations could take up too much space in the MotionEtc.pac, but I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
If you could send me the Sony Vegas, that would be phenomenal! I need anything other than what I have haha. Actually, I might use your Up-B idea for the Down-B, since it might be nice for Dr. Mario to have a second recovery option given his nerfed cape. He could use a lightning punch that can be charged much like how you've already described. My only concern at this point would be that the charging animations could take up too much space in the MotionEtc.pac, but I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.
One question, do you have a 64-bit version of windows? If not, I'm afraid I can't give you vegas 12, however if you can record the footage with that EZCAP I mentioned (about 20 british pounds on the official website, ezcap.tv) or any capture device that can get footage from a tv (preferably a direct feed), I can run said footage through Vegas which I do infact have right now for quite awhile.

But if you stilll want Vegas for free and you don't run a 64-bit version of windows, the same team behind the method I used for Vegas 12 made a "patch" for Vegas 13 as well. Look around on Youtube for tutorials and you'll find it.

Edit: A new idea for the USmash: Mario thrusts his fists in the air as an homage to his original NES sprite readying to throw pills. The pill effect is recommended, but you can use electricity/light too...

Also the electrical vortex throw could use more electrical/wind effects in the animation...

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Looks really cool. I would reccomend looking at Smash 4 for inspiration. I think Little Mac's forward throw would look way better than the current one. Also Little Mac's up air would be better than the current up air. I think you are going overboard with the power and slowness of his moves. Speed them up and weaken them a bit. Ganondorf has the Triforce of Power while Dr Mario just uses his hands more. Slow down his running speed and air speed, but give him more air mobility ( weaving in and out like Wario and Jigglypuff but obviously to a lesser extent ). Will get when this is done.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
One question, do you have a 64-bit version of windows? If not, I'm afraid I can't give you vegas 12, however if you can record the footage with that EZCAP I mentioned (about 20 british pounds on the official website, ezcap.tv) or any capture device that can get footage from a tv (preferably a direct feed), I can run said footage through Vegas which I do infact have right now for quite awhile.

But if you stilll want Vegas for free and you don't run a 64-bit version of windows, the same team behind the method I used for Vegas 12 made a "patch" for Vegas 13 as well. Look around on Youtube for tutorials and you'll find it.

Edit: A new idea for the USmash: Mario thrusts his fists in the air as an homage to his original NES sprite readying to throw pills. The pill effect is recommended, but you can use electricity/light too...

Also the electrical vortex throw could use more electrical/wind effects in the animation...
Yes, I love the idea of a homage to his original game! Also, I'm working on recreating his Smash 4 final smash; as of right now, it has a placeholder lightning effect, but I'll change it to the pills soon.
Looks really cool. I would reccomend looking at Smash 4 for inspiration. I think Little Mac's forward throw would look way better than the current one. Also Little Mac's up air would be better than the current up air. I think you are going overboard with the power and slowness of his moves. Speed them up and weaken them a bit. Ganondorf has the Triforce of Power while Dr Mario just uses his hands more. Slow down his running speed and air speed, but give him more air mobility ( weaving in and out like Wario and Jigglypuff but obviously to a lesser extent ). Will get when this is done.
Thank you for the well-articulated advice! I hadn't thought of looking at Little Mac as inspiration, but I certainly will see how I can integrate elements of his fighting style. I had increased his air mobility, but it's hard to see in the videos because of my unfortunate recording situation haha. Once I've finalized his moveset, I'll address the balancing concerns, but I do appreciate the comments about his speed and power; I'll definitely consider them once he's reached that point.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Yes, I love the idea of a homage to his original game! Also, I'm working on recreating his Smash 4 final smash; as of right now, it has a placeholder lightning effect, but I'll change it to the pills soon.

Thank you for the well-articulated advice! I hadn't thought of looking at Little Mac as inspiration, but I certainly will see how I can integrate elements of his fighting style. I had increased his air mobility, but it's hard to see in the videos because of my unfortunate recording situation haha. Once I've finalized his moveset, I'll address the balancing concerns, but I do appreciate the comments about his speed and power; I'll definitely consider them once he's reached that point.
You know, if you don't have anything to record footage from the TV with, I could get footage for you...

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
You know, if you don't have anything to record footage from the TV with, I could get footage for you...
Once he's close to V.0.5, then that would be awesome! Thank you so much! I'll send you a link (hopefully) soon.
ok i was wondering if this was on another character? and if so who?
Actually, that's an interesting question, because I should have made a poll for this. I could port him over anyone, so I'm open to suggestions on that front. It would be a colossal pain to port him over a transforming character (especially because such a feat would test the collective file size limits for those characters), so Charizard/Squirtle/Ivysaur, Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS aren't options. Bowser also could cause some bizarre glitches on the CSS, but I don't think that anyone wants to replace him haha.

Anyway, what do you all think? I'm willing to make ports for 3 characters, but I'm open to making more later.

theTRUEchamp

Smash Apprentice
Would Dr. Mario get his own character slot then? I'm not sure if that's something you could do with the clone engine or if you'd have to use BrawlEX, but that would be neat. Also, his own taunts and victory poses, too.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Would Dr. Mario get his own character slot then? I'm not sure if that's something you could do with the clone engine or if you'd have to use BrawlEX, but that would be neat. Also, his own taunts and victory poses, too.
He might... there's a certain build in the works that will give him his own slot, so keep your eyes out for that. I don't plan to publicly release PM's clone engine with this character, because I didn't create it; I only figured out how it works. I'll release a .rel that will go over the given character. And he will have his own taunts and poses; I'm working on those now.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
how about Lucas or Toon Link? because they are kinda clones and yes i know PMDT made some changes
Eat your heart out. Toon Link and Lucas are like the most fun characters. I'm tired of this clone bull****! Clones are good! Replace a low tier nobody uses like Olimar or Ice Climbers. Olimar preferably even with the fake projectiles. He's really boring and broken now. Last version he used to be OK but he's the worst now.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Eat your heart out. Toon Link and Lucas are like the most fun characters. I'm tired of this clone bull****! Clones are good! Replace a low tier nobody uses like Olimar or Ice Climbers. Olimar preferably even with the fake projectiles. He's really boring and broken now. Last version he used to be OK but he's the worst now.
These ports will not have fake projectiles; the new modules basically force the game to load Dr. Mario over the target characters. I like the Olimar idea, and I'll see what I can do about the Ice Climbers.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I'd honestly suggest making fully custom animations as opposed to using other animations and adapting them for Doc.

They'd make him even more unique and interesting to play as.

I can help out a bit with animating if you want.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
I'd honestly suggest making fully custom animations as opposed to using other animations and adapting them for Doc.

They'd make him even more unique and interesting to play as.

I can help out a bit with animating if you want.
That would be awesome! Thank you, I'll PM you some of my ideas soon. I've been pretty busy lately, so I haven't had too much time to work on Doc. Expect some updates soon!

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
ok so I take back what I said before been messing around with Toon Link and Lucas and I realized that Olimar would be a better choice to replace and I was wondering if your still working on this project?

Cahalan

Smash Ace
ok so I take back what I said before been messing around with Toon Link and Lucas and I realized that Olimar would be a better choice to replace and I was wondering if your still working on this project?
He is it's just school and IRL stuff holding him upp. He's planned to have at least something around break... I know this because I'm working with him on a PM build I wanted to do for a while now.

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
He is it's just school and IRL stuff holding him upp. He's planned to have at least something around break... I know this because I'm working with him on a PM build I wanted to do for a while now.
ok and what's your build?

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
It's still in its' early planning stages, but the name will be "Project M Collision Course", since this will use the PMDT clone engine to add characters.
that sounds cool can't wait to see the progress on it when it is out of early planning stages and if you need help with it i can help i can play test it when it comes time if you'd like

Cahalan

Smash Ace
that sounds cool can't wait to see the progress on it when it is out of early planning stages and if you need help with it i can help i can play test it when it comes time if you'd like
We'll keep you in touch after we get it working. :)

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Enjoy, everyone: https://mega.co.nz/#!ychxUTTS!QHV13C0XHDveTl_1T7Sbo7B2rD5YyHclrkud-RV3wpo

This is over Olimar, but more ports will come.

Note: This is a beta version, so I'm still using animations from other characters. If any animators would like to assist with the project, please contact me. I'd love some help in that department. I'll update the OP with this information and the link as well.

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
Enjoy, everyone: https://mega.co.nz/#!ychxUTTS!QHV13C0XHDveTl_1T7Sbo7B2rD5YyHclrkud-RV3wpo

This is over Olimar, but more ports will come.

Note: This is a beta version, so I'm still using animations from other characters. If any animators would like to assist with the project, please contact me. I'd love some help in that department. I'll update the OP with this information and the link as well.
Thank you so much been look forward to this

Edit: :( i can't get Dr. Mario to download from Mega but i have always had problems with Mega

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Yup it downloaded thank you and i feel noobish but where do i put MiscData[24]
To use MiscData[24], open up your common5.pac and go to Olimar's CSP folder which is titled MiscData[24]. From there, right-click on Olimar's CSP folder and select "replace." Then, you'll replace the existing MiscData[24] with the Dr. Mario MiscData[24]. If it's not clear, I'll upload a common5.pac with everything inserted, as well as BPs and victory portraits, since I realized last night that I forgot to upload them.

Top Bottom