• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~!~ UNOFFICIAL Competitive Tournament Rules - Stage Ban List *UPDATED* ~!~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Here is my list of stages.

Neutral:
Battle Field-This is the most basic stage, there are no interfering hazards. The truest form of neutrality.

Final Destination-Not as neutral as Battle Field due to the lack of platforms, however, it is still the second most neutral stage in the game.

Yoshi's Island-The Whimsical Support Ghost doesn't break the game, the platform layout is simple. The Shy Guys are even in the background now I believe. There should be no complaints.

Lylat Cruise-This stage is a variation of Battle Field with a fancy background.

Smashville-The tilting platform is not radical at all, there is one simple moving platform. No interference to be noted.

Pokemon Stadium (Melee)-Walls in Brawl might pose a dilema due to being infinitied on them. However, walls on this stage only last a small time, and it's not like you will always get caught in an infinity. I doubt it needs to be moved to counter pick.

Counter Picks:
Delfino Plaza- The stage can't really be neutral because there is swimming, there are many transformations, and several walkoff locations. However there is no way it will ever be banned (I think).

Great Sea-Apparently the bombs sent from behind can KO at 50%. I have one thing to say: Avoid them! There is a way to predict the bombs collision location, and there is skill involved in dodgin them/throwing a foe into them ().

Norfair-The lava might warrant a ban because it comes from all sides of the screen. However, the shelter seems to be fair. This might get banned in doubles (I'm not making a doubles list here by the way).

Battle Ship Halberd-It can't be neutral due to the Halberd's beam. This is a very good stage that might have even bordered neutral.

Port Town-Port Town may have quicker cars, but there is alway an opportunity to evade them. There is no reason for it to be banned.

Picto Chat-Have you ever seen such a weird stage? The irony is that all of it's hazards are fair. The only thing that might warrant a ban is the hazard that draws barriers on the side of the platform.

Rainbow Cruise (Melee)-Just like Melee, it scrolls gently, there are barely any walk offs, and no stage hazards. Fine.

Brinstar (Melee)-Just like Melee, the lava is evadable.

Frigate Orpheon-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhtPSPm1gjc (look at 1:00 I believe.) The flip causes characters recovering to be handi-capped. This is borderline neutral though, it might become neutral.

Castle Siege: Although it has walkoffs for 1/3, it's still fair. The tilting in the basment is less radical than I thought. The only thing I might see hindering this are the breakable platforms on the second level.

Jungle Japes: The swimming, despite the current, makes it more fair than it already was. This stage will not be neutral due to the Klap Traps.

Unsure, probably Counterpickable:
Lugi's Mansion-The stage is breakable. This might cause a problem when we have two Dededes .

Distant Planet-The problem here is that there is one walkoff and there are bouncy platforms. I can see it being a counter pick.

Summit-During one part of the stage there is a wall that really interferes. The fish might pose a problem, it depends how swiftly it consumes a character. I'm leaning towards counter pick.

Corneria-There is one permanant wall that can be used for infinities. The only way to get someone off is from an Arwing, which have been nerfed apparently...I'm leaning towards a ban actually.

Green Greens-Apples heal now, that might cause a problem. Ganondorf can apprently cause a glitch that makes the whole stage exploding...Leaning towards a ban now (even though I might still play on it).

Yoshi's Island (Melee): There is only one walk off, but the blocks are still a hinderance. I'm leaning towards a ban, but you never know...

Banned Stages:
Mushroomy Kingdom-The whole thing is a walk-off, and sometimes you might start on World 1-2 (correct me if I'm wrong). This is HELLA fun and I'm extremely happy it's in, but it has no place in the Smash tournament scene.

Mario Circuit-There are two walk-off ledges. The cars might stop the camping, but the fact that stages with solely walk offs is that they eliminate recovery, a key aspect of SSB.

Rumble Falls-Welcome to tropical Icicle Mountain!

Bridge of Eldin-It's big, might encourage camping, and has two walk offs. There is the miniscule chance that it might be opened up one day, but for now, it's banned.

Pokemon Stadium 2-The transformations interfere way too much. The ice makes the stage slippery and the conveyer belts are an interference. What really kills it completely though is the Flying transformation.

Spear Piller-Time starts to randomly slow down, the legendaries that appear attack with no warning, and, let's not forget the loop. Someone even told me that there is an effect that inverts the controls. There is a tiny odd that this might one day be open for DOUBLES only.

Wario Ware-The neutral formation of the stage is nice and dandy, but the micro-games make it banned. When a micro game starts, all attention is shifted on dodging the hazard. Not only that, but if you successfuly complete a micro game, you might be randomly granted with a reward (some times you are not even rewarded). On a side note, I hate the rewards! I would have prefered it if the mico games appear less frequently but you lose a stock if you fail at them.

New Pork City-The same reason why Temple was banned and Ridley was a boss, it's too big. The Ultimate Chimer doensn't cover enough distance to stop camping.

Sky World-The platforms break too easily, there is a tiny little platform at the bottom right where you can camp, and let's not forget that when the platforms are broken, you can down throw someone through them.

75m-Not only is it too big, it's has walk offs, it has awkward hazards...No, there is no way this won't be banned. There is no denying how enjoyable it will be though.

Mario Bros-The dreaded walk offs, the ceilings are low, and there are too many enemies.

Flat Zone 2-The walk offs again, and the boundries from where you get KOed are EXTREMELY small.

Electro Plankton-Refer to 75m.

Shadow Mosses Island-This is one stage where walk offs would actually do it good. There are blocked sides that you have to break...and then there are walk offs. The Metal Geat is all right though.

Green Hill Zone-Some times the ground beneeth you shatters randomly. There is also that pesky check point. Don't make me say the dreaded word...

Temple (Melee)-It's like New Pork City minus the Anti Camping Chimera but plus a tunnel with low ceilings. This is an extremely fun stage however.

Onnet (Melee)-The cars don't stop the camping because you can jump them. It also had walk offs.

Big Blue (Melee)-It's an alright stage, but it goes too quickly and hitting the track is hard to recover from.

That's my list with reasoning.

Flamesamurai

Smash Rookie
^ I would be happy with that one but i disagree slightly on the mario circuit track Its not the walk offs i care about its the race cars. If your like me you can see most of the area and whats going on in it while fighting someone. If you can get used to that then you can see what will happen before you get hit and run.

I also dont like the Spear Pillar ban too you can tell whats going to happen from what colors at the top and what the pokemon at the stage does.

Zonic100

Smash Cadet
I dont understand why Sky World is counterpick aside from the fact that the many platforms are unfair to people not aerial suited ?

If the platforms break theres almost no change right?

I think I might be missing something here ?

**Edit** Ah I understand, D throws and camping. I kind of didnt see that until just now.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
Although I thought differently recently, I now do not see what is wrong with ElektroPlankton as a counterpick (or heck, even neutral?) stage. It simply is a bunch of platforms that move diagonally and water that you can swim in under the stage. Should be counterpick legal

Dacvak

Smash Ace
I just got back from Chu's pro tourney (where I placed 5th, woo!).

Neutrals:
Final D, Battlefield, Yoshi's, Delfino (I think), and Lylat.

Counterpicks were the same as mine except none of the ones with walkoffs. I'll post a solid list later.

~Dac

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Back from Chu's tourney. Here's the stage ban list. It's what works, don't complain.

~Dac

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
That's a horrible argument. Playing on just Battlefield or FD would "work"...

It doesn't contribute anything for someone to post "this is the ban list, if you don't like it STFU". Better would be confirmation that all of the stages at Chu's touney were "safe" picks, and using that experience to offer optimism or skepticism towards other stages.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
coolI just hope that I can battle in Spear Pillar if I were to go to a tournament

S623

Smash Apprentice
coolI just hope that I can battle in Spear Pillar if I were to go to a tournament
Yeah. No. Spear Pillar will be completely banned unless people in the BR go insane.

Also, about that picture. What's the orange? I know that Neutral is green, red is banned, and yellow is counter-pick, but what the hell is the orange?

Gaudion

Smash Apprentice
I haven't got the game yet so I can't make any reasonable assumptions or comments on any of the stages yet. Not that I think it would matter. Almost everyone posting in this thread seems to have absolutely no cencept of what constitutes a "neutral" "counterpick" or "banned" stage in the first place.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Yeah, the Electroplankton stage is banned. It's just red on light green so it looks orange. Colorblind johns?

This is the ban list I'll be going off of for my online pro tourneys.

I'm just pissed that Mario Circuit and Eldin are banned, but go take your complaints to M2K's DDD. For those of you wondering why Sonic's stage isn't banned (since it has walkoffs), it's because DDD can't chaingrab across the whole stage. The reason Castle Siege is counterpick (instead of Neutral) is because of the transformations and walkoffs in one section. But it's easy to avoid getting grabbed on the bottom, and if you do get CG'd with DDD across the stage, you deserve to get gimped.

Anyone can feel free to use this ban list with whatever tournament they want. It's not official, but it's pro tested and very fair.

~Dac

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Do me a favor. Play M2K's DDD (or any good DDD) on Eldin or Mario Circuit then tell me they should be counterpick.

Yeah, 0%-death gayed. Straight walkoffs are banned.

~Dac

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Do me a favor. Play M2K's DDD (or any good DDD) on Eldin or Mario Circuit then tell me they should be counterpick.

Yeah, 0%-death gayed. Straight walkoffs are banned.

~Dac

Then why are Green Hill Zone and Delphino not? <_< And Castle siege, for that matter too.

=p Perhaps you should ban KO from bottom stages as well, since all a decent Bowser player would need to do is get a one stock lead and side -B.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Dacvak said:
For those of you wondering why Sonic's stage isn't banned (since it has walkoffs), it's because DDD can't chaingrab across the whole stage. The reason Castle Siege is counterpick (instead of Neutral) is because of the transformations and walkoffs in one section. But it's easy to avoid getting grabbed on the bottom, and if you do get CG'd with DDD across the stage, you deserve to get gimped.
Same reason for Delfino as Castle Siege.

Learn to read.

~Dac

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
Same reason for Delfino as Castle Siege.

Learn to read.

~Dac
I try not to read idiocy. (You pulled out the insults first mind you, with your insulting use of the word gay, and your telling me to learn to read) You can't pick and choose like that. It's just as easy to avoid things on other stages, if it's easy to avoid getting grabed on those.

I've got an idea of what you should do. Let the members of the Back room who are actually discussing things like this in depth DO THEIR JOB!

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Fair enough. I don't want Mario Circuit banned either, but I'm not the one making these rules. Go to a pro tourney then tell me your opinions.

~Dac

Dacvak

Smash Ace
I'm not bashing or anything, but there's no point in arguing. These lists are made fairly for a reason, and DDD's chaingrab is too gay and will kill you at 0%. Both Delfino and Castle Siege have platforms or ledges that make the chaingrab avoidable. Mario Circuit and Eldin do not. But either way, those stages really f*cking suck anyway. Mario Circuit is fun, but no one ever picks it in a tourney because of the cars. Eldin is just am awful campfest, and Brawl doesn't need any help with camping.

~Dac

Kuroneko

Smash Apprentice
I admire your work, to try to sort out which stages should be the standard, but the game has been out too little and the pros of melee aren't the pros of brawl; not proven as of yet. I copied every advanced technique those guys spewed out in the melee scene sure, but the constant referring to them as being high and mighty and they know better is quite arrogant. Most psuedo-pro's are a month ahead, getting the Japanese version. Let tournaments sort themselves out when more people are able to intelligently debate the stages with first hand experience of the characters and stages. I see this because apparently a lot of people are unknowledgeable since you are able to counter near every suggestion.

They only know better because they have been playing the game ahead of most of the NA population, not because they're pro's. Any person can see why a walk off stage should be banned when a character can chain grab a wide margin of the characters on a horizontal plane; the fact that people are complaining about some of the walk offs, then mentioning Sonic's Stage isn't banned proves my point.
Wait for more to be knowledgeable, you can't convince them other wise and your list would have went smoother if you waited an extra week or two to release it.

My opinion - I like how you have it set up. I'd like to see some of the melee stages unbanned. Particularly one. Good luck with your bans~

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
I'm not bashing or anything, but there's no point in arguing. These lists are made fairly for a reason, and DDD's chaingrab is too gay and will kill you at 0%. Both Delfino and Castle Siege have platforms or ledges that make the chaingrab avoidable. Mario Circuit and Eldin do not. But either way, those stages really f*cking suck anyway. Mario Circuit is fun, but no one ever picks it in a tourney because of the cars. Eldin is just am awful campfest, and Brawl doesn't need any help with camping.

~Dac
I can understand with the chaingrab on eldin, But Bulbin would stop those, so they aren't possible all the time, just a large portion of it. So I can understand that. But if platforms are enough to prevent getting grabbed, the the fact that Mario Kart is on two levels means that when the DeDeDe goes to grab them they can go to the other level to avoid it. Mindgames.

And, I already mentioned it once, but please don't use the word "gay" like that. Thanks.

Either way though, I plan on waiting for official word from the back room. I trust them to have fairly sound reasoning once they make a list. And I look forward to reading that one. There is no point in arguing, we will just have to wait.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
People misunderstand what I'm doing here. First off, this isn't like... decided by any specific group of people. This is what was tested and worked at a pro tourney already. And the pros were pros in Melee because they practiced from day one. Their skill from Melee didn't carry over, but their dedication did, which is why they're still pro.

Anyway, I don't give a sh*t whether or not people use this list. I'm just showing everyone what has worked really well so far. This is what I'll be using for my tourneys. But of course, anything can change.

[Edit] Lol, Darkfur. Wow. This list isn't official. This is simply what we used for the pro tourney, and what worked so far. Everything can and probably will change. Relax.

~Dac

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
People misunderstand what I'm doing here. First off, this isn't like... decided by any specific group of people. This is what was tested and worked at a pro tourney already. And the pros were pros in Melee because they practiced from day one. Their skill from Melee didn't carry over, but their dedication did, which is why they're still pro.

Anyway, I don't give a sh*t whether or not people use this list. I'm just showing everyone what has worked really well so far. This is what I'll be using for my tourneys. But of course, anything can change.

[Edit] Lol, Darkfur. Wow. This list isn't official. This is simply what we used for the pro tourney, and what worked so far. Everything can and probably will change. Relax.

~Dac
I know it's not official, it just seems flawed to me. =p The fact is, it worked for some pros at a tournament. keywords: some, and a.

Don't worry, yours isn't the only stage ban list I find flawed. Just the first one that I felt was flawed enough to share my opinion. Plus it's late.

and what are you talking about? I AM CALM! RAAAAARGH!!!!

=p *laugh*

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
Dac, quit being huffy and defensive. It's not our fault you decided to be stupid and mark this list "official" when it wasn't. You should have known what would happen. Darkfur made some good points, even though a couple were not well informed.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who LIKES this list. This looks very similar to the Melee list. All the senseless death stages are banned the alright ones with no clear gamebreakers but still could be kind of annoying are CP and the close to perfect stages are neutral.

Looks alright to me.

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Dedede's chaingrab is pretty ridiculous. There's only 2 or 3 stages that need to be banned because of it, don't worry.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Right, this list is a good starting point, but I do still feel it is being too conservative.

I question whether walk-offs are truly deserving of a ban, as well as the logic behind Port City, Pokemon Stadium 2, Shadow Moses, and to a smaller extent Norfair and Distant Planet.

Plus, I still have yet to hear a really good reason why Castle Siege, Frigate, Delfino Plaza (which I originally argued against) and most of all Luigi's Mansion are not Neutral. Although these stages are slightly different from the standard Battlefield/FD style in one way or another, I have yet to hear anyone voice a significant advantage that these stages bestow upon certain characters to keep them from being Neutral. In all my matches on these stages, not once did they seem to favor a particular character to a noticable degree. They are certainly less biased than Yoshi's Story and Dreamland 64 in Melee, which people had no problem with being Neutral.

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
Castle Siege and Delfino Plaza are just too interfering to be neutral IMO, but they're good counterpicks. Luigi's Mansion and Frigate should be, though.

Shadow Moses is extremely banned because of easy wall infinites. Norfair is a very good counterpick, though. Distant planet is kinda iffy but could be counterpick.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Sheik's chaingrab didn't act like a waveshine. Dedede's does.
It's true, the thing carries you across the stage. Walk off edges should be banned. But that is pretty obvious anyway.

I still stand by my notion that this list is good, although the Luigi's Mansion thing brings up a good point.

I would like to hear someones argument over why that is not neutral.

Sailus

Smash Cadet
My 2 cents:

Bridge of Eldin should not be perma-banned just yet. There is nothing really "Random" about the stage, the Powderkeg Bridge explosion is not only scripted, but there is a VERY fair warning (the horn?), and he moves in very slowly. In fact, the bomb doesn't even detonate right away, not to mention that Bulbin is easy to evade/does very little damage/knockback if you do manage to hit him.

My first impression of this stage was its complete neutrality, but that's not the case. While it's gap post-detonation isn't what I would deem "ban worthy", it is most certainly slightly in favor of projectile users (For a small amount of time). It's not an inevitable fate, but characters like Marth and Ike just have to try and avoid being caught on the opposite side after the bomb goes off.

About the walk-off aspect: I honestly have no comment about this, but I'm sure we'll discover some sort of way to break this otherwise "Broken" KO method.

Should be reviewed for counterpick status. If chaingrab kills are by NO means reversible, then ban it.

Norfair is debatable for the same reason Brinstar (Melee) was. The side lava is less scripted than melee's acid, but one can account for it nevertheless.

However, the large lava wave is another story. While one could argue that the appearance of the "Sanctuary" is random, the lava event itself gives players enough warning to avoid an instant KO. There are spots on the map where, though you will be hit by the lava, will protect you from a 1-hit kill.

It would make for an interesting counterpick stage, though I am personally against it.

The Summit - No break for the ice climbers eh? The stage itself isn't random, but because of the ledges, I can see the reason this stage was banned. It's a shame, too, since it would be a neat counterpick stage otherwise.

orintemple

Smash Lord
My 2 cents:

Bridge of Eldin should not be banned. There is nothing really "Random" about the stage, the Powderkeg Bridge explosion is not only scripted, but there is a VERY fair warning (the horn?), and he moves in very slowly. In fact, the bomb doesn't even detonate right away, not to mention that Bulbin is easy to evade/does very little damage/knockback if you do manage to hit him.

My first impression of this stage was its complete neutrality, but that's not the case. While it's gap post-detonation isn't what I would deem "ban worthy", it is most certainly slightly in favor of projectile users (For a small amount of time). It's not an inevitable fate, but characters like Marth and Ike just have to try and avoid being caught on the opposite side after the bomb goes off.

Should definitely be a counterpick.
It has walk off edges.

Do we need to go over this again. If you can do D3's chain grab well enough you could clear the entire bridge and kill someone from anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom