• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Unleashing a 2-D Horror - A Game and Watch Thread

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
oh and it turned out im not able to discuss 3.0 gnw

sorry guys :(

BUT LETS JUST SAY
youre gonna be pleased as **** when you see him next time :3c

geno

Smash Apprentice
spoiler alert: 3.0 game and watch has moves that do things
Here's hoping for a jump cancelable bucket with a hotbox that smacks your opponents mercilessly to the ground. Could you imagine? Double bacon, bucket, wave-bucket, double bacon, wave-bucket, wave-bucket, bucket-spike. And then change his taunt to "Come on!". Welcome to top tier Mr. G&W.

Yung Mei

ok well first off

GNW gets a "shine"

and second, he gets a laser

3rd, all his taunts are changed to "Come on!"
and he gets chaingrabed by marths uthrow now

geno

Smash Apprentice
Bacon lasers! Hopefully they'll replace that pesky parachute thing with a kick of some sort too

EDIT: Found a picture of leaked 3.0 G&W
image.jpg

Yung Mei

also, i learned the other day that gnw gets ****ed by bowser really hard, so unless youre ok with difficult matchups, pick another char

ofc, it took me 3 tries to beat shadic's bowser ;w;

4th time i butt blasted him

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
From playing Majora I think G&W vs. Bowser isn't too bad of a butt-blast. G&W can't ever approach, ever. Dair, Fair both get out ranged and Bair and Dtilt get CC'd until 1000%. But as long as you know Bowser's range and keep throwing Chef, Koopa is kinda stuck on the ground. When you get to the edge of the stage, cover yourself with some greasy breakfast and remember that his aerials require just as much of a commitment as yours so don't be afraid to call him out. Also grab, super armor ain't got **** on grabs.

Oracle

Smash Master
i thought the matchup was pretty easy but that comes from playing random bowsers on wifi and one game vs sethlon, so idk. just grab a lot and bowser has trouble with that

Yung Mei

game & watch ditto is so free, its like 200/0 our favor

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I got 5th at Outrage 2.

Lost to Sago (Snake) 2-1 who is currently sitting in Winners Finals set to play Fizzle (Sheik). I then lost to Lain (Fox, Falcon) 1-2 who goes on to play Carls (Wario) in Loser's Semi-finals. I went Zelda in game three on FD vs his Fox and just narrowly lost.

Won Doubles with Fizzle (GnW/TL + Sheik) coming from a loss vs Zinoto (Mario) + Xatic (Falcon) in Winner's Finals 2-3. Beat Carls (Wario) and Soul Pech (Jigglypuff) 3-2, mostly with my TL helping Fizzle's Sheik. Finished GF1 and GF2 3-1 and 3-0 respectively, playing all Game and Watch.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
@leelue ZSS's dsmash is fast and absorbing 2 of them will kill pretty much everyone at 40%. When I play teams with Ryker it's pretty common for me to get 3 or 4 stocks with it. Absorbing Ness's fire is low tier, his Up-B is pretty strong, but not as strong as ZSS Dsmash and definitely not as safe. As for Ness theoretically absorbing bacon, he'd have to chase them down since they go in random directions and they would only heal like 4% at a time.

And you only think you want Down-B to be absorbable until you realize that if Down-B became a projectile then it could be shined X_X

Overall, bad team idea is bad ZSS+G&W for life.

@Calvo Gratz you should learn G&W's glide toss. It's pretty boss. You also respected Diddy's recovery a lot. He can't do much when he is recovering low, so it should be gimp city. You also died a lot from flatline DI.

@Juu Gratz. I came in third at a tournament today. Lost to Ragnarok and Raminator.

Yung Mei

i do know how to use his glidetoss
i just dont like to focus too much on the bananas when diddy isnt near them lmao

dettadeus

Smash Lord
how to do g&w's glidetoss: a simple guide by a brawl player

step one: shield
step two: back roll
step three: hit either A or the c-stick in some direction you want to throw it in
step four: holy god you are sliding across the stage what is this madness
step five: dacus and/or profit

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Diddy didn't beat you there, It was your silliness that did, like giving him unnecessary room or aerials from the ledge.
Insanity, doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.
Hopefully you weren't expecting to hit him with Fair from the edge for the 3rd time in a row within the first 20 seconds of the match. ;)

Before a character match-up is worth discussing in technicalities, player vs player has to be discussed WITH those characters. As in, screw banana-play and how to edge-guard him, what are the things Diddy wants to do, what can you do to screw that up. NOT, what can you do to stop him, just screw up the stuff he's trying to do.

I'll link an ancient post here.
Check out the Luigi vs Captain Falcon MATCH-UP section
That's the only way match-up discussion actually makes sense.
Crap like what to watch for after Falcon aerials, whether it's running away, SH aerials again, jabbing, etc.

**** Glide Tossing and Edge-Guarding. That implies you know what you're doing on-stage in the neutral/transition game first.
Which surely (in all kind-heartedness) all the scrubs in the Project M game, even the best of them, 100% don't.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
@Nausicaa: that sure was a whole lot of nothing you said there. Are you asking for some more in-depth analysis of the diddy matchup? The thing is, there is no point in analyzing that video for diddy matchup advice.

With no offence meant to Calvo, that diddy player didn't know **** about playing diddy. He knew diddy's aerials were fast so he just jumped at G&W and pressed a button. How to counter: use G&W's disjointed hitboxes to out-prioritize him.

What a Diddy "wants to do" is hold a banana and stand next to one. That's his strongest position, it makes him very difficult to approach and he can chuck peanuts to make you want to come at him. The best thing you can do is make diddy uncomfortable by positioning yourself on nearby platforms. Then he'll probably move around and try to rely on his fast aerials to push you away. At which point G&W can go back to winning with his disjointedness and superior combo game.

Dodging and grabbing banana is very important. Diddy Kong always reserves the right to blow his load of them and go in. He also has monkey flip which changes his momentum completely, so you should always take it into account when making a read. Also, look out for his fair which is very similar to Mario's bair, so don't get caught off guard by it. Finally, dtilt is kinda ridiculous for edge guards so try to never recover low, but when you have to you have to make a read on whether he is going for dtilt or edgehog and try to sweetspot accordingly.

That's pretty much the whole matchup from my experience. Diddy doesn't have high damage combos and his smashes are only OK. Just don't try to force yourself into his fortress, bide your time and maximize your opportunities and it shouldn't be too bad.

Is that better Nausicaa?

Yung Mei

i honestly feel bladewise played hella off, because he actually had to leave. We had to rush our money match. I definitely would have had a harder time playing against him if he wasnt rushed. plus, i barely played pm at all in all of april, i played maybe 3 times? this was my first time playing pm since then. we were both off as ****, and i personally wanna redo the money match because of this.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Kind of but not really.
I'll try and explain this with some better examples.

What are the things Diddy is looking to do in the neutral game/offensive game, and what can you do to screw that up?
He has a DD Grab, Dtilt, SH Aerial mix-up, he'll be looking to pull out a Banana, and shoot a peanut once in a while.
The Banana isn't the thing to worry about, that's coming. It's what he does before/with/after the Banana that matters at ALL. Which is what the PLAYER does with the character, NOT simply what the character is capable of.
When the Diddy does Down-B, and a Banana flies in the air, does he throw it towards you, and if so, does he jump to grab it immediately, wait for it to land and WD over it, shoot a peanut or start DDing waiting for you to try something?
THIS^ is all that's worth watching for. If he jumps for it, keep note of THAT. Maybe you can catch him for it next time, whether it's jumping towards him to aerial, or dash below/past to Utilt/bait out an attack/banana throw at you/make him DJ.
That kind of thing.
More important than 'move around on platforms and out-space him with your aerials' (character specific regardless of player)
Watch what kind of positioning they move to and way/when/why they try using aerials at you (character specific based on player)

The Diddy (PLAYER) aerials a lot and abuses his speed = player specific but with a character.
The 'How to Counter Diddy's aerial + speed tools' is along the lines of what's useful in match-up discussion.

The specifics on how to get around Dtilt edge-guarding isn't, as that's universal, not specific to the match-up (if it's not Diddy's Dtilt, it's Bowser/Wario/Marth's), and the same goes for 'not getting caught by *monkey flip/Fair/whatever. (same applies to Bowser/Wario/Marth too)

Instead, translate that to 'What positions are you/the Diddy (player) in when he tries to Dtilt vs Jump off and aerial vs Banana toss vs whatever, during an edge-guard.'
Counter what he DOES with Diddy's tools/speed/aerials, not what DIDDY does or can do with those tools universally.
Translate the 'not get caught by fast aerials/monkey flip' into 'What positions are you/the Diddy (player) in when he tries to Aerial/Flip/pull out a Banana/throw it'
Counter what he DOES, etc.

Like using G&W's big FAIR from the ledge 3 times. That's countering what CALVO does with G&W, not what G&W does/can do.
Hope that makes sense.

What do you watch for and need to REALLY deal with? The Banana's being thrown at you?
Or the Dash Grab/SH Aerial Diddy attempts after throwing them?

Essentially, less generic 'Diddy can do these so we can do these to deal with it'

And more 'Diddy wants to hit you with these and these are the moments you can hit him for trying'
This also leaves a lot more room for creativity and individual players perspective/take on how to play.
*less cut-and-dry analyzing, theorizing, playing*

Hope that makes sense. haha

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I want to say Diddy's d-tilt as an edge-guard is like one of the worst things he can do in comparison to how above average all his other options are: but like most things, I still don't know yet.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
You're thinking about it too hard Nausicaa. All that **** just comes natural; besides the fact, you kinda answered all of your own questions.

Yes they are going to do Diddy things, but most of it you can just ignore and to G&W things back. Sure you can analyze all of Diddy's options out of banana pull, but all that really matters is that it's pretty safe. So keep a distance where you can react. No amount of explaining is going to do as much for your matchup experience as 2 minutes in the ring.

Also spidermad you're right, diddy's got a lot of silly edge guards, be scared.

Yung Mei

yeah i rewatched the video like 3 times and each time i ask myself more and more

"why the **** did you keep jump fairing from the ledge jesus christ"

LMAO

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
You're thinking about it too hard Nausicaa. All that **** just comes natural; besides the fact, you kinda answered all of your own questions.

Yes they are going to do Diddy things, but most of it you can just ignore and to G&W things back. Sure you can analyze all of Diddy's options out of banana pull, but all that really matters is that it's pretty safe. So keep a distance where you can react. No amount of explaining is going to do as much for your matchup experience as 2 minutes in the ring.

Also spidermad you're right, diddy's got a lot of silly edge guards, be scared.
It comes natural, and it's the stuff that matters, so might as well give direct attention to it just a LITTLE big, wouldn't you think so too?
Things like that are 'safe and you can try to react to them'
Or they're 'safe because you're not acting accordingly to make it dangerous'
There's no reason Diddy should ever freely do anything. Or any character free to do anything for that matter.
Yes, this is natural, but it makes all the difference, it's the ONLY thing that makes all the difference. All I ask is that people give attention to this more than 'Bananas are scary, Fair is fast and rangy, Monkey Flip and Dtilt are good'
The answers aren't really what matter, that's the natural part. The 'match-up' thing is 100% the question.
When/How can you make Diddy's life hell among the stuff 'Diddy' will do, using what 'G&W' can do? Bypass the 'what' and into the 'how' haha.

yeah i rewatched the video like 3 times and each time i ask myself more and more

"why the **** did you keep jump fairing from the ledge jesus christ"

LMAO
That stuff alone is what wins/loses games. ;)
Welcome back to smash? haha

Artimus

Smash Apprentice
Moral of the story. Wait for Diddy to make a hole, and jump in. Out prioritize aggressiveness with disjoints. Try to grab a banana every now and then. Don't recover low if possible. :smash:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'm not sure what other characters should do exactly with Bananas, sometimes they throw them off screen like Hbox does with Peach's turnips but that's probably dumb lol. If your character has a good glide toss I would certainly use that, but there may be the concept that Diddy can too easily capture and use that banana again depending on how much of a difference your character's overall ability to grab/wavedash the banana and throw it compared to Diddy's basically perfect attributes for bananas. So maybe some characters should predominately not do anything with the bananas besides avoid them, with the rare mix-up of actually doing something with'em.

Top Bottom