• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Maryland - The Drunken Brawl Results

hova

Smash Champion
my post wasn't directed at one person. there were a ton of people wasting large amounts of time.

smashers in general show up late, leave tournies at bad times for food, and play friendlies when they have a tourney match to play.

all of these things were blatant at the tourney and drained a lot of time. if you lose early on, there is a good chance that you will not have a long enough break during losers to get food, be smart about it.

no one can point fingers, because everyone does it. i know a lot of people come to tournies to hang out with friends and enjoy the atmosphere, but i just want to play my tourney matches and go home and really get tired of waiting around for other people's BS reasons.

smashers in general, at all tournies, just need to be aware of their matches and try to get them played. i'd appreciate it and would probably show up to more tournies ( and i know you all want that!)

Chred- you're bad at Brawl

that one was directed at you

Rebel581

Smash Champion
can't we all just settle our differences by beating the **** out of each other in brawl and stop crying?
I wish. Now you guys know what I deal with in real life almost every day. I want some sympathy.

Good **** hova. I'll try and make sure that when I tell people their matches, that they are playing them next tournament, or at the very least, all TVs at the beginning of the singles bracket are being used for tournament matches. I think people also got confused since we had less than 10 TVs, yet 64 people.

Also, I was well aware of the signal. That's why I gave as many numbers as I can. In hopes that one call at the least would go through. It's not really a thing we can avoid on the UMD campus in most of the buildings.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
my post wasn't directed at one person. there were a ton of people wasting large amounts of time.

smashers in general show up late, leave tournies at bad times for food, and play friendlies when they have a tourney match to play.

all of these things were blatant at the tourney and drained a lot of time. if you lose early on, there is a good chance that you will not have a long enough break during losers to get food, be smart about it.

no one can point fingers, because everyone does it. i know a lot of people come to tournies to hang out with friends and enjoy the atmosphere, but i just want to play my tourney matches and go home and really get tired of waiting around for other people's BS reasons.

smashers in general, at all tournies, just need to be aware of their matches and try to get them played. i'd appreciate it and would probably show up to more tournies ( and i know you all want that!)

Thanks for bringing that up as soon as i lost to Aero i waited almost an hour waiting to play
if someone hasnt suggested already we need a break in between doubles and singles so people can get **** straight

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
Great tournament guys. I had a lot of fun, even though I played kind of sloppy. Did anyone else notice the ridiculous number of Metaknights at this thing? I feel very unspecial. ROB seemed pretty popular too.

Azen: If we face each other again next time I promise no gay Ike and no gay suicides.

Rebel and Fellow Terps: You guys are fun to hang out and smash with. Hopefully we can get together sometime soon for some more brawl.

Lobos: Sonic will be back next time for another rematch. The score's 1-1, don't forget.

FakeKraid: Seriously... no johns. Your friend shouldn't have had to come over and apologize to me for your rants.

Lobos

Smash Master
Good **** on the tourney, I'll come to another since its so close to me.

GG everyone, I did better than expected using the cc lol

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry I wasn't more involved in the running of this tourney. Considering the fact that I am the only one at the tourney who could give good directions, and it was just too late by the time I got to fix azen and mild's situation.

Also, the reason why people missed calls is because we were in the basement of a 8 story building and the reception on campus was awful. There's nothing we could do about that, but next time we'll be more organized.

EDIT:

Light and Forte: You do realize we are 2-2 in sets and 5-5 in matches. WTF epic rivalries!

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master

Yes, that's all perfectly true. Once again, we're going to be stricter, actually enforcing DQ match forfeits, as much as I hate to do that, and giving people a break between teams and singles so they can't , like me, say they didn't have time to get food. Or other things, I can't figure out what people are doing sometimes, they just vanish and then show up later as if nothing happened.

If we

a) Enforce auto-forfeits,
b) give a break between teams and singles (this wasn't there before because we were so behind schedule)
c) give highly detailed directions
d) Get more setups

we will shave at least a couple hours off of tourney time. Particularly the last one. I got lucky and had to wait only a few minutes for my first match, but meep had to wait maybe 20 minutes to play his first match and then we had to wait another 20 to play against each other.

Which reminds me, awesome **** to everyone who brought TVs and Wiis. Especially yours, Lobos, nice flat-panel. Next time we'll give you guys something more tangible than thanks.

As for that last jab, I already apologized, can we stop now? Let's be bestest friends.

Anyways, i forgot. Shoutouts

G-reg/Travis-thanks for the help you guys gave at the end, it was ridic useful and we have taken all your suggestions to heart.

FakeKraid- Dude, I'm sorry you had to wait so long, and I understand what you then had to do. You're a great guy, I had fun talking with you. But as much as I understand, the rant really needed to only be told a few times, when I was with you I heard nearly the same speech word for word about 4 times, and it does kinda grind on you. Good luck with building up East MD!

Meep-You shutout my MK, but then those tippers against snake...agh. Good **** for landing those.

Lobos- You have one of the best toon links out there, but the only thing I could really do was spam to counter your mad projectiles XD. I don't normally have such a spammy snake, but then it transitioned over when I played hova.

Hova- What can I say? I'm sorry. Hopefully next time we'll play for real, that left a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, you have a good peach, and when I get to play someone good, it doesn't mean anything if I won if they weren't trying to win in the first place -_-

Thumbs-Ike challenge. lol.

Mild-good friendlies after the tourney. I like your rob. So many dairs.

Reioumu

Smash Lord

This man is wise. Whether he's smashing or smashed up. Listen to him

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i am regulating

@ tournament organizers, dont be so hard on yourselves. the tournament wasnt bad and it ended at a reasonable time (at least the most recent 60 man brawl tourneys have ended around the same time). sure it couldve been faster but at least i wasnt getting home past midnight like i have sometimes.

also, people need to stop knocking on the tourney organizers for giving bad directions. im looking at the first post, it says DENTON hall, corner of university and stadium drive. now, im somewhat familiar with UMD but i know most people arent..... still, i dont see how those are "bad directions". he even linked to an interactive map, clearly showing where the building is and the nearest parking lots. so, if you got there really late, like most did, it wasnt because of bad directions, and it wasnt because someone didnt answer the phone, its most likely because you mapquested the directions 3 minutes before you hit the road, and got completely lost due to mapquest's suckiness. getting to and from the tournament should be your own responsibility, not the tourey organizer.

and no offense nacker, but but if you are talking about "waiting an hour to play" in losers bracket, i clearly remember telling you to play mild, even though you then went on to play chozen in a seemingly intense friendly set. the entire tournament was literally waiting on your one set with mild, winner played voodoo, winner played candy, winner played me, winner played meep, winner played boss, and etc. everyone was waiting on the one set.

and chred/rebel, just some tips
- seed who you know to be good. i can help you with these things, and you can use this tournaments results as a basis for future tourneys.
-always have someone associated with the tournament by the bracket software. that way people can always record their matches and you can be in control. if someone has to get food, go to the bathroom, play a match, etc., have the other help you out and take command of the tourney organizer.

and for everyone else
-play your matches! seriously, the sooner the better. if you lose within the first two round of winners bracket, chances are you will have to play again within 15minutes to a half hour, so dont leave to get food or disappear in general. all you have to do is look at the bracket, if you see that you are waiting on 3 sets before you can even play, then you probably have a good half hour or more to take a break. im not trying to make everyone RUSH or anything, we just wanna make sure you are able to be found when your opponent is ready to play you. usually in md/va we try not to disqualify but it could happen.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
wow you're like the whiniest SWF poster in history. seriously dude i didn't go to this tourney but from people i did i heard bad things (bad directions, tourney hosts not answering their phones, sh*t like that). how bout you just get your act together instead of crying about how you only got to eat one meal at a tourney? ive gone over 24 hours without eating at a tourney before (it was an MLG event) so quit your b*tching, thanks :)

edit: i figure you'll bring this up so yes i have also gone multiple meals without eating while hosting a tourney

hmm, I didnt have any problems. UMCP is a huge and confusing campus so I studied the map given to make sure I didnt get lost. Plus the hosts answered everytime I called. I think it was put together pretty well.

If anyone got lost they didnt study the campus map well enough.

I don't think we should be hating on the hosts too harshly, the tourney was good.:)

hova

Smash Champion
on a side note.... looking at g-regs sig Team Arlington could 10 man crew battle against itself lol
it's actually happened a few times... vids still may be on youtube or TA.net

if i'm ever at a tournament and you have no idea what your opponent looks like, just come get me. i can yell

Lobos

Smash Master
1. Projectiles
2. Combos
3. ?????
4. Profit

Thanks nacker and rebel for helping carry the tv, parking was to far lol

chillindude829

Smash Master
the only reason i "hated" on chred is because hova made a general comment not necessarily directed at him, and he responded by crying about how being a tourney host is hard. seriously everyone here who has run a 50+ man tourney knows it can be difficult, and very few tourney hosts complain about running it after the tourney.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
The reason I assumed it was directed at me was I was the last tourney match hova had, and he made a point of telling me i made him wait. Oh well. I was wrong. I have said I'm sorry like, 3 times now? Can we move on? Outta curiosity chillin, why didn't you come? I heard something about not having a ride. I mean, I haven't actually ever heard of mild coming and you not XD.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
@ tournament organizers, dont be so hard on yourselves. the tournament wasnt bad and it ended at a reasonable time (at least the most recent 60 man brawl tourneys have ended around the same time). sure it couldve been faster but at least i wasnt getting home past midnight like i have sometimes.

also, people need to stop knocking on the tourney organizers for giving bad directions. im looking at the first post, it says DENTON hall, corner of university and stadium drive. now, im somewhat familiar with UMD but i know most people arent..... still, i dont see how those are "bad directions". he even linked to an interactive map, clearly showing where the building is and the nearest parking lots. so, if you got there really late, like most did, it wasnt because of bad directions, and it wasnt because someone didnt answer the phone, its most likely because you mapquested the directions 3 minutes before you hit the road, and got completely lost due to mapquest's suckiness. getting to and from the tournament should be your own responsibility, not the tourey organizer.

and no offense nacker, but but if you are talking about "waiting an hour to play" in losers bracket, i clearly remember telling you to play mild, even though you then went on to play chozen in a seemingly intense friendly set. the entire tournament was literally waiting on your one set with mild, winner played voodoo, winner played candy, winner played me, winner played meep, winner played boss, and etc. everyone was waiting on the one set.

and chred/rebel, just some tips
- seed who you know to be good. i can help you with these things, and you can use this tournaments results as a basis for future tourneys.
-always have someone associated with the tournament by the bracket software. that way people can always record their matches and you can be in control. if someone has to get food, go to the bathroom, play a match, etc., have the other help you out and take command of the tourney organizer.

and for everyone else
-play your matches! seriously, the sooner the better. if you lose within the first two round of winners bracket, chances are you will have to play again within 15minutes to a half hour, so dont leave to get food or disappear in general. all you have to do is look at the bracket, if you see that you are waiting on 3 sets before you can even play, then you probably have a good half hour or more to take a break. im not trying to make everyone RUSH or anything, we just wanna make sure you are able to be found when your opponent is ready to play you. usually in md/va we try not to disqualify but it could happen.
By the last match of the friendly with me and chozen people told me i had to face mild and 2-3 mins later i did compared to me waiting an hour 2-3 mins wasnt big at all -_- but i still see your point

Edit: Thanks for the ride lobos instead of taking the c8 i took 2 trains to silver spring then got a ride lol meh it was way better than walking to the bus stop anyway

Kenrawr

Smash Master
it's actually happened a few times... vids still may be on youtube or TA.net

if i'm ever at a tournament and you have no idea what your opponent looks like, just come get me. i can yell
When you were screaming "WHO'S TEAM PUPPY". I was trying to yell back that we were :O

But your yell drowned mine out >:/

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The only problems I had were that the metro shuttle as I had no idea where it went and my cell phone batteries ran out, other than that I had an easy time going there and back. Would've been nicer if there were more fans in the basement though. I had fun at the tournament and I'm planning on breaking top 20 at the next one.

Mild $oss

Smash Journeyman
nah i'm j/k nice tourney rebel/chred. Ignore all these clowns, even if there were slight problems everyone had fun and you guys let us stay passed midnight.

I would've liked to do the MD vs VA crew battle on Maryland Day but Hova chickened out and admitted MD was too weak and VA will always be the better state. It's all good.

Super Calo

Smash Rookie
Had fun at the tourney, most definitely. Was Calo in teams, and Clif in singles.
Though it was only my second one, and first Brawl.
My Lucas needs work. If I get your characters wrong, sorry.

Can't remember who the first people we played in teams were, because we didn't realize we were Sterlig. (Which was apparently a misspelling of my Sterling, which wasn't supposed to be the team name in the first place...not why we lost, but it was unnerving.) At first was Metaknight/TL, then you switched to the mirror match and showed me how to play Lucas in teams. Owned me so badly, held my partner back. Good game to Bromos, though. A lot closer.

Esoj - I thought the "J" in your name was an "I", so I kept shouting "Eesoy?!" around the room when you were right there. Sorry. Good set, though. Your Pit gave me the business. Had to figure out how to mix up the approaches when you kept countering my fairs, and then nairs.

Azen - Hope I didn't bother you in your doubles match. Your Pika reminds me of your N64 vids.

Travis - Great matches, dude. That switch to Diddy had me going for a while, slippin on bananas. Especially since I still had your upsmashing Fox on my mind. (Or am I confused about the match?)

Light - we never played, but I had to leave to attend to a friend. Sorry for the forfeit?

Hopefully I can be around for the next one. Hell, I do live on campus for the rest of the semester. Then UMD kicks me off...non-housing dirtbags.

Shinku

Smash Champion
this tourney was too good.

chillin vs chred arguments are too good

a md vs va crew battle would be too good

thanks god is rock, that new chain grab with ic's is very very too good

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
this tourney was too good.

chillin vs chred arguments are too good

a md vs va crew battle would be too good

thanks god is rock, that new chain grab with ic's is very very too good
no problemo

CasSteal

Smash Cadet
Yo GOD-IS-MY-ROCK you kicked my friends *** in brawl, he was mad about that the whole day. lmao . good stuff. i didnt see anything wrong with the tourny, it was my first, it was fun. just too freakin hot.good **** tho everyone. tha diddy battles afterward were fun(idk who they were tho but good stuff)

hova

Smash Champion
nah i'm j/k nice tourney rebel/chred. Ignore all these clowns, even if there were slight problems everyone had fun and you guys let us stay passed midnight.

I would've liked to do the MD vs VA crew battle on Maryland Day but Hova chickened out and admitted MD was too weak and VA will always be the better state. It's all good.
lmao... it definitely would be **** right now. all the good Va melee players managed to stay good at Brawl, plus you guys got Forte. MD pretty much lost all our depth switching over

a Md robot still put you out the tourney though. that was comforting

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
lmao... it definitely would be **** right now. all the good Va melee players managed to stay good at Brawl, plus you guys got Forte. MD pretty much lost all our depth switching over

a Md robot still put you out the tourney though. that was comforting
When they brought up the idea all that came to mind was me you and meep everyone else was from VA who reaped and also good **** meep

OffTheChain

Smash Ace
chillin and chred should just have a fist fight already, man up

forute is a dumb *** name, like fo realz but congratz

I was not here but I still post.... yup

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
chillin and chred should just have a fist fight already, man up

forute is a dumb *** name, like fo realz but congratz

I was not here but I still post.... yup
Two problems with that. One, I don't have contacts yet. Not risking broken glass, and my vision is **** w/o lenses. Two, I am a skinny *** *******. Chillin is far from it XD.

Top Bottom