• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uneducated Assumptions You Had About Characters Only Known Through Smash

wafflini

Smash Apprentice
I thought Samus was a boy until my friend and I were shocking people with Pikachu in 64 and pausing to look at their skeletons. When you shock Samus you see a metallic model of her body :O
That's a shocking discovery

Edit: sorry about the double post

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I thought F-Zero was a fighting game, seeing how Captain Falcon always goes ham.

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
Back in Smash64 the only franchises I skipped were Earthbound and Metroid, so the first time I saw Ness I thought he was Ash Ketchum (I changed my mind soon after he PK Fired me haha) and I only found out that Samus was a woman when I read a magazine showing the famous "eletrified girl under armor" thing. In Meele I never heard of Fire Emblem, so when I saw Marth using a sword I thought "wait, is he from a Zelda game I've never played?!?"

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I made a lot of weird assumptions as a kid playing 64 and Melee.

-I thought Ness, Captain Falcon, Samus and Fox were characters made for Smash Bros (as I had never played their games prior.) I never unlocked Falcon or Ness playing 64 as a kid but I played them in Melee a couple years later.
-I thought a lot of the characters' names were typos since the announcer sounded so garbled on my old CRT (i.e. Link sounded like "Lee", and Samus sounded like "Dust".) Thankfully I never thought that Fox was ****s, or else my perception of him nowadays would be a lot different.
-I thought Marth and Roy were brothers. Never thought Marth was a girl though. I also thought Roy was more powerful because of his fire effects.
-I didn't know Jigglypuff was a Pokemon character until I took a second to recognize her emblem. Always thought she was from Kirby.
-I used to think Metal Mario was the strongest character in64 and that you could unlock him. I thought he took up one of the unlockable CSS slots in the game since I never unlocked Ness or C. Falcon until years later.
-I used to think Master Hand was Mario's hand, or like Mickey Mouse's hand or something. I also thought that the fight against him had a shorter time limit and the stage eventually disappeared. The first time I fought Master Hand was pretty scary.

I knew most of the other characters in the series as well but still made assumptions about them.

-I thought Wario was in Melee and I just never unlocked him. Actually I thought most of the trophies in the game were playable characters I never unlocked.
-I always thought that Mega Man was a Nintendo property as a kid and the reason he was never put in Smash was because he'd be too strong.

D

Deleted member

This coming from someone who played Brawl first:
-I thought Ness and Lucas were best friends based on SSE
-Ike was a descendant of Marth or vice-versa
-I never noticed Porky's body on the mecha spider, so I thought he was the spider
-G&W was an original character
-C. Falcon was from a fighting game
-Fox, Wolf and Falco came from a shooting game

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
I assumed Kirby was a pokemon. And then my cousin told me he liked to play Marth who wasn't unlocked and for some dumb reason when I unlocked ganondorf I thought that was marth because he told me he was a tall strong guy with a cape and a sword.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I'm sure I thought Link was called "Zelda" and Samus was a guy back in the day, much like everyone else. After playing Melee for the first time, I literally couldn't tell Peach and actual Zelda apart, despite being at least somewhat familiar with the Mario series by then. I also remember liking Ness a whole lot mostly because he resembled Charlie Brown. I don't recall what I thought EarthBound was like, but I had never played an RPG at the time, so I imagine I pictured it as some sort of generic platformer; likewise, I thought Marth/Roy were both from a Zelda-esque game.

Sheesh, I can't believe I was only eight or nine when Melee came out; I feel both ridiculously young and old at the same time.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In the original (I was about 11 at the time):

-I thought Ness was a Ash or a pokemon trainer who had learned the abilities of his Pokemon (fire- Charmander, magnet- Squirtle (I thought it was water for some reason), thunder- Pikachu, his jumps- a flying type (Butterfree or Pidgeotto), his throws- a ghost or psychic type).

-I thought Captain Falcon was Nintendo's knockoff of Batman.

In Melee (I was about 13 at the time):

-I thought Marth and Roy were from Castlevania.

-Before I unlocked him, I saw the name "Mr. Game and Watch" online and thought it was the Japanese name for T.T. from Diddy Kong Racing.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I'll just be honest here instead of taking the opportunity to say something funny.

Smash 64:

Thought Captain Falcon was some kind of hero or fighting game character, and made me think of Captain America. The way he said Falcon Punch sounded something like "CALPCOM PFLUUUCHHH!"

Melee:

Thought Marth and Roy were from the same game, and thought Eliwood on the cover for Fire Emblem 7 was Roy. Understandable, since the English trophies only mention "Fire Emblem" in a generic sense, and it was the first time many of us Westerners heard about the series.

Brawl:

Nothing, really. I knew a lot about most of the major series by the time it was revealed in '06. I was happy to see Olimar and R.O.B as playable characters.

[TAG=220470SaturnGamer64]Saturngamer[/TAG] thought R.O.B was Wall-E, though. Posting this since he can't at the moment.

(how do I tag people!?)

----

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I just thought Ness was a traumatized school child.

How right I was...

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
64: Assumed Captain Falcon was a large ham, but come on, we all thought that.
Brawl: Assumed ZSS never existed and was created for Brawl to increase the number of Metroid characters.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I thought Zelda turned into a guy when she transformed into Sheik, thought Marth was a girl, and thought Samus was a man.

Blaziken

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4038-6625-0560
When I first saw Pokemon Trainer, I thought you would be able to control him as an actual character.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
This coming from someone who played Brawl first:
-I thought Ness and Lucas were best friends based on SSE

-Fox, Wolf and Falco came from a shooting game
-Wow, seems I still have some misunderstandings to clear up.

-Technically not wrong
(how do I tag people!?)-
Just type @ and their name like @xX420YoloSnipesXx

Last edited:

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
Someone told me that Samus and Cpt. Falcon were cousins and I believed it.
You know what? Someone told me the very same thing back in 64. The fact that Cpt. Falcon's home stage was Planet Zebes probably factored into that too.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I can't be the only one that's made them right? For example:
  • For the longest time, I assumed Ness was a braniac Japanese kid, and that all of his special attacks were coming from his (unseen) gadgets.
  • Kirby in 64 gave me the impression that Kirby was an angry and ruthless little ball of horror. I swear that Kirby just looked and acted much less innocent there.
  • Until I actually played Pikmin, I got a lot of cult vibes coming from Olimar. He never speaks and seemingly bows down before the Pikmin during victory. I thought he was some space man who was driven mad in the wilderness and now mindlessly serves the Pikmin.
Then there are characters I still don't really know anything about outside of cultural osmosis - but I'm pretty sure my assumptions are off base. Example:
  • Since Roy & Marth were introduced together, I pictured them as polar opposites: Marth is a cool, levelheaded, and somewhat sheltered prince, on the other hand, Roy is impulsive, angry, and rather childish. (A quick wiki search seems to show that I am completely wrong.)
Anyone else do this? Incorrectly piece together a character based on limited exposure through Smash?
For the longest time I thought Roy and Marth were from the same game, and having known that Marth was the Prince, I assumed that Roy was his bodyguard.

I make a lot of assumptions about characters until I actually play the game/watch a Let's Play. I thought Palutena was going to be some generic Goddess. Not even remotely, per Uprising. She's actually totally hilarious. Similar cat with Pit.

Edit: I can understand thinking Samus is a guy but how the hell did you people hear Marth's voice and still think he was female? What?

Last edited:

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
My friends told me ROB was wall•e (from the Disney movie). They said his video game that came after the movie was really popular, and he made it in. They said that his real name was ROB, and that he was just like a pokemon, and all robots were wall•es. But hey, I was 9...

Khao

Smash Lord
Samus is a robot.

Half of the roster are characters created for the game. That's pretty much it.

I only recognized the Mario characters and the Pokémon, everyone else were stuff I never heard about, so I just assumed they were new things. I learned about Zelda, Star Fox and Kirby not too long after that, though, so those assumptions ended pretty quickly. And since I already realized it was a crossover, the same didn't happen for Melee even though there were also some characters I didn't know about. (Those being Ice Climbers, G&W, Marth and Roy.)

By the time Brawl was announced, I was too much of a Nintendo nerd to fail to recognize anybody to the point I recognized Pit in the trailer before his name showed up, so there was no real room for assumptions.

Last edited:

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
When i bought my gamecube bundle with Melee included (i was like 7 years old) and i unlocked Marth and Roy i thought they were from Saint Seiya.
Then when i bought Brawl in 2009 (10 years old) I though Lucas was a fanboy of Ness....Gosh i was stupid as a kid.

No wait, i remember a conversation in my school with a "friend", i asked him if he had Brawl, he said yes, so i told him the characters when i said Lucas he said..."Oh Daffy Duck? (In my country Daffy Duck is called "El pato Lucas")"
LOL

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know Samus was a girl when Smash 64 came out, but I also pretty much only used Pikachu and Jigglypuff at that time with occasional Mario, so it kind of balances out. I was only 5 or 6 when I first played 64 at a friend's house.

I didn't get an N64 or Smash for years, and by then I had played OoT, so when I started using Link, I knew he was Link, not Zelda.

In Melee, I thought Marth and Roy were from the same game, and then when Fire Emblem came out in the US, I looked at the guide and was really confused why Marth and Roy weren't in the game (and didn't buy it which was a mistake, although I later got it used years later). I didn't figure out that Fire Emblem was a series, not just a single game, until I saw a video for Path of Radiance playing at a Target and bought the game, and later went back and picked up Sacred Stones new and Fire Emblem (7) used.

I don't think I actually had any other major misconceptions, although I didn't know who Ice Climbers or Game & Watch were in Melee.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Here's my experience with the Samus gender issue-as a kid, I had the original Metroid as well as the instruction booklet(but I could never beat it, damn you Mother Brain). The instruction booklet for the NES Metroid blatantly refers to Samus a male in all instances, but she was clearly a girl in Smash.

Even as a kid I was a huge zoology nerd, and I knew about animals like shrimp that change sex with age. I also knew that Metroid was a sci-fi series and that Smash bros. came out way later than Metroid in time. Due to this, I thought for many, MANY years that Samus belonged to an alien race that went from being male to being female after they passed a certain age.

Other misconceptions-
I initially thought that Ness was a supposed to be a personification of the Nintendo entertainment system(because of his name), and that he was an original character made for smash. In fact, before I unlocked him I heard about him through playground chatter and I thought you literally played as a NES. Later on I thought he was from Super Monkey Ball.

I used to see the Melee cover in the store all the time before I had a Gamecube and could actually buy the game, and due to it for a long time I thought that the Ice Climbers were a playable daffodil with a stem that split into two flowers with faces(seriously, look at the Melee cover and tell me that doesn't make sense). I am to this day very disappointed that I was wrong.

The motion sensor's trophy in Melee says it's from TOP SECRET(because it's from Goldeneye and they didn't want to mention that). For a long time I thought it meant it was from "Top Secret Episode Golgo 13", an NES game I had as a kid. Golgo 13 is about spies and stuff so it seemed to make sense.

And it's rather bland compared to the rest, but yeah I believe I legitimately thought Marth was a girl when I first saw him.

There were more but I believe that's enough for one post.

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
To put it short, before thinking about it thoroughly, I used to believe that the Ice Climbers were smash only characters AND that Marth and Roy were these random anime characters

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Before I knew the plot of EarthBound / Mother 2, I thought Ness was set out on an adventure to save his mother from aliens. I also thought he was in Mother, the first game, until I found that EarthBound is the second game and Mother's main character is Ninten.
I don't exactly remember what I thought about Lucas, if anything.....

Not sure if this counts:
When I saw the Chorus Men/Kids in the Gematsu Leak thread, I thought they were some kind of monsters before research / seeing what people have said on these forums. Before I even saw what they looked like, I thought they were from some kind of music game and they were a band / the main characters in the game, and were humans, not cartoon.

I don't remember making assumptions about other characters, except that I thought Samus was a robot when I was younger.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Back in SSBM I once thought G&W was a clock wearing a chef's hat before actually unlocking him. I totally forgot I had played a G&W Gallery game before this moment.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
[64]
-Samus was a robot
-Ness and Yoshi were friends
-Yoshi was a frog
-Giant Donkey Kong was a different character, and possibly mother of DK
-Metal Mario's first appearance
-The red thing was Fox's tongue

[Melee]
-
Ness and Ice Climbers were from the same game
-Zelda was able to change genders
-Marth and Roy were from the same game
-I knew who Game & Watch was, but thought he was made of paper
-Wasn't aware that the Pokemon in Poke Floats were balloons
-I wasn't allowed to change the game into Japanese because I lived in Texas
-The coins had a face

[Brawl]
-Meta Knight was a villain
-Lucario was a legendary Pokemon
-Marth appeared in every FE game
-Mother and Lucas were friends in their games
-Sonic was a Sony character (Got Sega and Sony confused)

*Note: Smash 64 was my first game

Icarus Aurelius

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheIcarus1632
3DS FC
5327-0988-2034
When I got Brawl, it was one of the first video games I ever got (minus a hand me down gameboy color with Pokemon Red I got), so I always assumed that Sonic and Snake were Nintendo characters (hey I was 9).

Later when I got Melee I didn't know that there were any characters in Melee that had been cut from Brawl (I knew nothing all those 4 years ago, then again most of the kids in my school knew that Melee even existed, let alone Smash 64) anyway you can imagine my suprise when I got a challenger approching for Mewtwo and thought that I had unlocked a character that no one had even found before and that I was the first person to unlock Mewtwo.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
We know we all assumed Samus was a man; I still remember when I got to the Girl Power event in Melee and saw her with Peach and Zelda, I was like "Samus?! What is he doing here?!". I also imagined her as some kind of stereotypical space ranger (I was 8 back then).

Besides that, I waited to play the games of the other characters to discover how they were.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Edit: I can understand thinking Samus is a guy but how the hell did you people hear Marth's voice and still think he was female? What?
For me it was because I first saw him in the Prima official strategy guide(but didn't bother to actually read a single line of his character entry, apparently), so I had no voice to go off of.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I was 17 when Melee came out. Geeze. You all make me feel old.

Did I ever tell you young whippersnappers that I thought Roy and Marth were from the same game? I thought they were enemies or rivals or something. Why, back in my day we didn't even know who the Ice Climbers were. We thought they were from some kind of game that only ever got one entry and was never touched again for YEARS! Hahaha, boy was I wrong. What's that? You mean that actually happened? Well that's what we call wisdom, son! It comes with age. Why, you should've heard the time that I... Zzzzzz

*snoring*

*wakes up*

What's that? I never thought Samus was a man! The first time I played a Metroid game it was Metroid 2, so the cat was already out of the bag for me. Never did beat that game. Beat the sequels, though! Hahahaha, those were the days. You young 'uns just don't know what you're missing. All of your newfangled cancels and dancing and whatnot. Back in my day, all we had were cheat codes, and we liked it that way! If we wanted to see the ending of the game, we had to go jumping over bats that knocked you right into a bottomless pit with one hit! Uphill both ways! In the snow!

Last edited:

Icarus Aurelius

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheIcarus1632
3DS FC
5327-0988-2034
For me I kept thinking that Japanese people have deeper voices, which is why Marth had a deepish voice even though (s)he was (fe)male

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I thought Link was called Zelda. (A schoolfriend who had his GBC and one of the Oracles games corrected me.)
I thought Ness was Flying Mario before I unlocked him. You fought Metal Mario as a boss, and his polygon shared the same model as Mario and Luigi. Not to mention Flying Mario was pretty prominently shown on the box art of SM64.
Ness's description in the character viewer and his unlock message made me thought he was some Jimmy Neutron style boy genius whose vast intellect granted him PSI.

Haven't really gotten any assumptions since then, I've played most of the games featured in Smash and I look into them all regardless.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I thought in Brawl that Diddy didn't deserve the spot because I thought he was a spin off character that appeared in Mario Kart Wii.

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
  1. Samus was a robot. She lacked a skeleton when electrocuted in 64.
  2. Fox was a girl. It's his artwork from Smash 64's booklet, he looks very feminine.
  3. Captain Falcon was from a side scroller action game, considering his moveset.
  4. Ness was a super genius, but to be fair his in game bio makes him sound like that.
  5. My brother was convinced Marth and Roy were from the same game.

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
i thought ness actually got pk fire in earthbound
in retrospect, i suppose that was a fair assumption

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I thought Jigglypuff was Kirby's girlfriend.

I thought Samus was a man until Pikachu zapped her.

I thought Captain Falcon was Samus' brother.

I thought Marth and Roy were speaking a mix of Spanish and Japanese.

I thought Shiek was a man.

Well, I thought Zelda originally didn't fit in the cast when I first saw her in Melee...

Seeing the promo banners, I thought Popo and Nana (the flower people) were joined together by the hips and had hammers for hands.

Last edited:
Top Bottom