• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Under Construction (FAQ + Q&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Anyone got any tips on what to do vs. Ike? Mu's pretty hard honestly.

Also, San 3-1'd Razer today in a small tourney in Winners Finals. Vids hopefully, coming soon. :)

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Ok, so i'm a budding snake player with a question. I've been watching a lot of ally videos lately and he quite frequently does a reverse utilt (i'm not sure if it's oos or not) and was wondering how to do it? can't seem to get it right in practice and it seems really useful. Thanks.
press diagonal up/back and a. practice makes perfect.

Also, San 3-1'd Razer today in a small tourney in Winners Finals. Vids hopefully, coming soon. :)
jump into his recovery, then bair him when cypher stuns him lol. thats what ally does :D

camp, and dont fall into his nair trash. san is good, but ike is really limited in his combo starters. its almost always nair. learn the patterns and punish accordingly.

Play defensive, camp him and space F-tilts

Remember, Ike has limited approach and most of his attacks are **** slow and predictable.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Are there any guides for B-Reversing in these boards. Specifically I am trying to learn to B-Reverse the Nades more and I could use some sort of good visual guide for it.

ZTD | TECHnology

So what is everyone's opinion on Jungle Japes as a CP against Olimar? I think it could work if we control the middle platform and use our stage control well. The stage is huge so we could probably keep Olimar chasing us for the match. It makes him killing us with with Purples much harder also. I was considering using this as a CP and possibly trying to time Olimar out. I think the sheer size of this stage could help a lot. Opinions?

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
can I have some tips against fox, especially edgeguarding his side b
Well you can hit him out of sideB if you space right. You hit him out of it at the beginning, the middle, and end. If you don't space right, you're just gonna clank or get hit out of it. A claymore near the edge and then edgehug is a good setup - unless he starts fox illusion high enough, he might hit the mine. If he does it a bit higher off the ground you can try an punish with a dash attack. Firefox isn't too much of a problem since it gives you plenty of time to edgeguard. Just be wary that he might shine stall to throw off your timing, so don't do things preemptively.

So what is everyone's opinion on Jungle Japes as a CP against Olimar? I think it could work if we control the middle platform and use our stage control well. The stage is huge so we could probably keep Olimar chasing us for the match. It makes him killing us with with Purples much harder also. I was considering using this as a CP and possibly trying to time Olimar out. I think the sheer size of this stage could help a lot. Opinions?
I don't play Olis that much and I don't play on Japes much either. Not to theorycraft or anything, but wouldn't this stage be less beneficial to snake due to the high ceiling? I'm pretty sure that Oli camps us harder. If snake gets in the water, that would be another problem. Oli can just spike since snake can't get out of the water for ****. I dunno though, someone with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong.

ZTD | TECHnology

I asked the Olimar boards and they have the advantage here. After Hilt's explanation it makes sense. One of Oli's biggest problems in this MU is when Snake manages to get past his defensive wall of Pikmin. Here on this stage Oli can easily reset the situation by using the water and then using Up-b back to the stage since theres so many ledges also. And our lack of being able to kill with Up-Tilt doesnt supplement for their lack of being able to kill with Purples when they can still just use Blue's horizontal grabbing power. Oli just has a easier time with stages in this MU and it screws us over a bit.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
If Fox likes to Illusion rly high (Above your utilt range, perhaps aiming for a platform, or is good at cancelling it to get max range) you can always sh/fh dj nair to intercept it. But that is if you predict it, for you can't react to it in time. And leave a nade on the ground so if he does illusion low he may get blown up by it. Speaking of which nades are really good way to punish illusion, as long as you leave nades on the ground theres a chance he'll blow it up with illusion or land where the nade is. He can illusion higher to avoid nades on the ground. But if you are in nade stance the nade will be higher and he will blow it up with illusion. In that case it is best to roll towards where he will land with good timing. If he doesnt blow up the nade, and if you avoided the hitbox with your invincibility frames, you can still punish his landing lag. If the fox catches on and illusions to the ledge, leave nades on the stage (dont bother setting up C4 or claymore if you havent already, waste too much time). Nade stance walk to the ledge, then grab the ledge, he'll either get blown up by the nade or die from trying to go for the ledge.

Utilt and holding jab are a couple of rly good ways to hit fox out of illusion too.

Haha I know I just wrote an incorrigible wall of text but hope you can decipher it. =p

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord

Utilt and holding jab are a couple of rly good ways to hit fox out of illusion too.

Haha I know I just wrote an incorrigible wall of text but hope you can decipher it. =p
Does holding jab work the same way with Falco's phantasm? Asking cause I don't know if there's a priority/ property distance (kinda like how Falco's phatasm psedo-spikes).

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Illusion is very similar to phantasm, only Illusion doesn't spike (Phantasm is an actual spike, just a bit weaker, sorta like falcon's raptor boost. It's good for intercepting Wario's bike recovery and makes cool combo vid finishers).

Also Illusion has less range than phantasm, and Illusion can't be used right out of a first jump like phantasm can, timing for the cancels is a lil bit different too, other then that its the same

ZTD | TECHnology

I thought Illusion had more range than Phantasm? It seems like to me anyway.

And Illusion's window to cancel is sooner than Phantasm.I personally find it easier though so I'm also led to believe the window for each cancel may be slightly larger. Falco's is REALLY precise and it took me some time to get it down.

Priority is pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned.

Attila_

BRoomer
falco has three different cancels one three different frames. i dont think this is the case for fox.

either way, nade drop, pivot grab and utilt are all great options. fsmash if you're amazing (its not as hard as youd think).

ZTD | TECHnology

Oh ahat nd that too. Falco has the "true" cancel, the medium one and the long one that gives him more distance when he falls. Fox lacks the medium one which honestly is only marginally useful anyway. Most Falcos will use the short cancel near the ledge to fake you out and some will use the long (if they use the long one they probably were forced to and you can take advantage from this position

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
You can SDI out of Snake's Usmash to escape the second hit, right?

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
hey guys cant bair beat falco out of the phantasm? all in all what would be the best move to counter falcos phantasm?

and uh...does anyone know the way to di outta MK's nado? like if the nado is goin up how would we di? when it goes left we di the opposite way right? and vice versa?

and when i SDI in nado i mash both analog and cstick up and tap jump at the same time....will that work? (i set L to jump to make this possible)

and how should i be trainin snake? i play wifi but not alot...about once every two weeks ill do wifi. i do play cpus but im not learning much cuz all they do is roll around and tech chasing isnt good cuz all they do is roll towards the ledge.

ZTD | TECHnology

I also have a question. I need to know what some practical uses for Grenade Grabbing are. I'm having a difficult time integrating it into my game effectively.

Underload

Lazy
hey guys cant bair beat falco out of the phantasm? all in all what would be the best move to counter falcos phantasm?
Bair works if you're on the ledge, I try to utilt them if I can. If they're at the right height (just above the ledge) I sometimes try to make them look stupid by using fsmash.

and uh...does anyone know the way to di outta MK's nado? like if the nado is goin up how would we di? when it goes left we di the opposite way right? and vice versa?
and when i SDI in nado i mash both analog and cstick up and tap jump at the same time....will that work? (i set L to jump to make this possible)
You do what I do. Can't really answer you thoroughly. :X

and how should i be trainin snake? i play wifi but not alot...about once every two weeks ill do wifi. i do play cpus but im not learning much cuz all they do is roll around and tech chasing isnt good cuz all they do is roll towards the ledge.
This is a huge problem for me. I've just stopped practicing on wifi completely. I usually practice by going into training mode, pick a punching bag character (usually D3 or MK), set their level to either 3 or 9, and then pick a stage I want some experience on. I put them on 'Attack' and try playing in a really slow, almost lazy way, trying to chiefly punish them for rolls and bad spacing.

I also have a question. I need to know what some practical uses for Grenade Grabbing are. I'm having a difficult time integrating it into my game effectively.
Grenade grabbing? If you and I are on the same page, then there's no real way to implement it. If you want to go for a grab, and happen to have a grenade in your hand, you just grenade grab.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord

I would think Bair can hit falco out of phantasm, but again - it's all spacing. I wouldn't know what the best move to punish phantasm would be. Maybe Utilt since it has great range?

As for MK's nado, I have problems with this as well. I just DI and SDI up and away along with jump. I think the main thing to get out of nado is to SDI the first hit which pops you up. I can never react fast enough though. I believe nado has a type of vacuum like effect, so even if you correctly DI and SDI, you won't always get out of it. It's weird like Zelda's smashes. Maybe someone else can give you better tips.

Depending on who I fight, grenade grabbing can be used as an approach or for mixups. Everyone always says camp with Snake and that you shouldn't be approaching, but I grenade grab approach out of habit sometimes. I find it okay against chain grabbers - that way if you miss the grab, there's a nade nearby to break any CG. Typically you wouldn't want to nade grab approach a DDD since his stading grab range decimates nade grab range. Other times I use it defensively. Say opponent is rushing at me thinking he'll punish me - walk backwards and nade grab. Just know the MU cause you can easily be punished, such as with MK's grounded Shuttle Loop.

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
thnks for answerin my Q's so im gonna go with utilt for phantasm. and just do wat i can for di...and i guess i can try training mode.

also can someone give me a brief summary of the link MU? i played a link that camped all day with arrows, boomerangs, and bombs. i found out that camping was not a good thing to do. and that FD is not a good stage to CP. oh and is it possible to di outta his usmash? i can never get outta it and he got me a few times with the DACUS.

-Ran

Smash Master
also can someone give me a brief summary of the link MU? i played a link that camped all day with arrows, boomerangs, and bombs. i found out that camping was not a good thing to do. and that FD is not a good stage to CP. oh and is it possible to di outta his usmash? i can never get outta it and he got me a few times with the DACUS.
Against Link, you don't want to camp. You want to get inside and force him to attack your shield. This leads to down-throw tech chasing, which leads to easy tilts. In this match up, you need to rely on cooking grenades + power shielding to apply pressure to Link. Believe it or not, this match up is actually pretty even.

Link's fastest ground moves are actually his f-smash [frame 5] and his d-smash [frame 3]. However both of these moves are incredibly easy to punish out of shield, and the situations that he'd do these should be fairly evident. More so, he'll want to save these for kills later in the match, rather than damage building. If you remain on top of him, and utilize your jab [Frame 3] you'll be fine. His jab is frame 6, and he lacks a usable throw [frame 11.]

Attila_

BRoomer
mine onstage and ff bair is a **** edgeguard. hits him out of both upB and zair. its the main reason why i think its snake's favour, 60:40.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
what do you call it when you take out a grenade , sheild drop it, pick it up and drop it by pulling out another nade?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Lol Link's Fsmash is 15 frames not 5, and his Dsmash is 9 frames. I don't think it is even, I think it's 65/35 at least for us if we play the MU properly. Link's close range options are horrible, abuse that. And with shield camping, he has a really hard time killing us, because having it shielded easily lets us rack damage really quickly while he tries to just land the KO move because we can punish almost anything he does (except probably the unpowershielded Zair, but you can predict his follow-ups and punish them). Also, he doesn't really outcamp us, more like he can block the Grenades pretty easily with his projectiles. I've played the MU properly and I've lost the problems with Link I had before.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
what do you call it when you take out a grenade , sheild drop it, pick it up and drop it by pulling out another nade?
I don't think there's an actual term for that whole process. You're just dropping an item (nade, banana, turnip, ZSS suit piece, etc.) by pulling a nade.

how do you beat a good marth
That's kinda vague. What problems are you having? A good Marth does a lot of crucial things. You can check the MU thread if you wanna look at the MU overall. If you're having specific problems, then please be more precise (problems with juggling? dancing blades? punishing moves? etc.). We'll be glad to help you out so don't be afraid :)

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
di up and away. youll get out everytime.

crouch lots, its **** against link.
by that what do you mean? (its the away part thats confusin me....so i would put analog stick up...but what is away?)

also what about his up b? i fell into a few of those which caused me to lose stock a little early...and would crouchin really help? cuz i did crouch but i got hit by a boomerang, got arrow jab locked and into a fsmash.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
If MK is outzoning me and sticking around in the air like a good MK should be doing, should I just chip away with explosives, throw out a couple of fullhop bairs, utilt (usually doesn't get him unless I'm punishing poor spacing) or DA/DACUS when he tornados my shield/lands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom