• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UMCP smashers

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
jace dont you live somewhat close to me? if you dont mind driving you can come smash with me :D although if you want to play PM youd have to bring your wii and stuffs

JaceComix

Smash Apprentice
I'm in Gaithersburg, really close to Winston actually, but I haven't heard from him in a while.
And occasionally Bowie
But yea I'd be down to play with you if you're close haha
I'm trying to avoid spending too much (aka gas) until I have some income. But once I've got it, I'll be down for Laurel, Xanadu, and wherever else people are playin.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
Yeah and I'll likely be moving away anywhere between 1 to <indefinite> months. <_<

JaceComix

Smash Apprentice
That would certainly explain the lack of Winston here on the boards.
And yea let's play sometime, how free are you this week?
I'm mostly looking for jobs n stuff during the day, but evenings are good for me.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
if one of you guys feel ambitious and decide to bring back shellshocked that would be sickawesome

edit i forgot to mention i might be dropping by regularly next semester (spring 2013)

CTL17

Smash Lord
I pass CP on my way back from work, so perhaps I'll stop by sometimes. I'll have to stop by to ask profs for recommendations soon.

sa1vy

Smash Cadet
yeah. shellshocked should happen. guess i shoulda been more involved in this community when it was alive. would definitely go to one of these now.
ps im a junior at umd. anyone interested in some smashfests?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
tdude was Tom right ... these new kids and their ... not posting on Smashboards
Make a College Park Smashers group on Facebook if they're more active there (and invite us old dudes too)

@new guy - yeah you missed out (kinda) but one of you guys should step up and host some tourneys
Or secure a venue and let someone else host xD

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
you guys should get in contact with chivalruse and bigwenz (joe and wenzel), they should still be around to smash on the regular

and possibly greg, he says he has a setup now but idk how much hes up for hosting fests. if i ever go over to his place to play i can inform you guys tho

tjgeorgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjgeorgen
3DS FC
1177-8358-6055
Yep, I'm Tom, and I'm a Junior now. I'm in Courtyards. I think Chris gave me Wenz and Chival's Facebook. Starting a Facebook group is a good idea, I'll do that soon.

sa1vy

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone,
Since no one else seemed to be getting anything started, I'm getting together a smashfest. It will be this Saturday, 9/8/12, starting around 4-5, in Oakland Hall 6 floor (where I live), in the main lounge. It will be a mixture of melee and brawl. I would love to have a bunch of you guys come out for a bit. If you could bring a setup it would be much appreciated. We have 3(4?) setups so far. If you think you will need help swiping into oakland, pm me and I will send you my cell number, so you can call/text me to get in.
Hope to see you on Saturday

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
So yeah I'm a freshman here now. I need to get into things.

I'll go to the smashfest on saturday I guess. I don't have a setup though.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
How do you have 20 million icons

That date is theoretically Chu's tournament, but I don't know if he has a venue yet

sa1vy

Smash Cadet
:/ didn't see that he was hosting one this weekend... alternatively, he could do it here instead of the smashfest lol.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
How much space do you have?

Also RAs / staff can be randomly really annoying about "gambling" ... Chris (CTL) would probably know more about that

sa1vy

Smash Cadet
I talked with the RA on my floor about it. He said it's all cool. You guys are just my "guests". If it's just going to be a smashfest, then there will be no money, so no gambling. If we do make a tournament with a buy-in, then you could make a very good case for a game of skill, not chance. Also, my scholars group hosted a $10 smash tournament, so we could cite precedent for our case. In any event, though, there are also weekly poker games on my floor with ~$500 pots that no one has stopped since Oakland opened last year, so it shouldn't be a problem. Just keep the money out of sight :p
The large lounge on the floor is really pretty large. I think the max occupancy for fire hazards is 111 people. I'm guessing it could comfortably fit ~8-10 setups. There are 12 regular chairs, ~8 more comfy chairs, and ~4 couches, so there should be plenty of seats. It really is a large place, and helps makes Oakland the nice place it is :) If you haven't been by to see it, I definitely recommend stopping by!
If this tournament is actually going to happen here now, though, I would probably recommend a max of about 30-40 people. (That's just a guess though, because I've never hosted a tournament before and don't really know what size to prepare for. Hell, I've never even been to a "real" tournament before, so if someone else could set up the tournament, I would appreciate it.)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Yes, keeping the money out of sight has been the plan for all the previous Shell Shockeds too
Some people are just sticklers :lick: I think Epsilon also had problems in Radford getting venues for the same issue (not sure)

It's not gonna get up to 30-40 people I don't think xD
Although somehow 60+ people showed up at the last Shell Shocked so WHO KNOWS

But this is like some Chudat biweekly so I don't see it getting that many
Maybe we should just have Chu cancel his and run Shell Shocked 800 or whatever number we're on now

CTL17

Smash Lord
Smashfests at lounges isn't a problem. The problem after SSXI was that the RDs didn't want video games in the Oakland multipurpose room due to "copyright issues."

111 should be enough capacity. The room in Stamp where we had the 60 entrants had a capacity of 139. If you really want to hold Chu's biweekly there, I can let him know.

And waiiit a minute... Your scholars group (was it Arts?) held a tournament? At the CCC?! Was this recent? The Scholars director has been kind of anal about things like that ever since... some incident I don't want to talk about.

sa1vy

Smash Cadet
I was (I'm a junior now) in sdu. We had the tournament two years ago. I think december of 2010. It was kind of a charity event, but had prizes for the top people, so i guess a little different from this. Might have been that event that put the director over the top ;p
In any event, it was my RAs idea to try to get some gaming started. The only problem is he isn't allowed to actually initiate the events. Copyright issues should not be a problem if it is not university sponsored.
It doesn't make too much difference to me whether it's ShellShockedMMCXIV, Chu's biweekly, or just a smashfest. Whatever you guys think would be best. I'm guessing though, that if it's Chu's thing, then there would be more non-umd people, so there might be some issues with parking or me having to stand by the entrance of oakland letting people in lol.

edit: It's actually 110 people capacity, not 111. Sorry for all the confusion I caused. I hope you can forgive me.

CTL17

Smash Lord
Oh no, 110 people instead of 111? That ruins everything! I was planning to invite my dad's brother's son's friend's cousin, but I guess I can't now.

December 2010... yes, that makes sense. SSX was November 2010.
Oakland parking is just lot 2, which is free and public on weekends unless there's a game.

The copyright issue thing was only for using the Multipurpose room. Just some lame excuse they came up with.

Yeah, the worst part of hosting it in a dorm lounge is that you'd have to let people in through two swipes. At least you didn't need to enter the hallways for the multipurpose room or La Plata's basement. I personally wouldn't want to have this smashfest too public, as the attendees would have full access to unlocked rooms.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
****ing Thumbs and his alcohol
Then retiring to play LoL before I ever beat him in tournament
Godammit

sa1vy

Smash Cadet
CTL, did you talk with Chu about doing his biweekly here? I could talk with him about it also, but considering I don't really know anyone in the community yet...
Anyway, it might be a little too late to do the tournament here, but if you want to do it that's fine by me (and the RA :p). We should have a decent sized group of people coming over for a smashfest though.

tjgeorgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjgeorgen
3DS FC
1177-8358-6055
I'm in. I can bring a setup with a CRT and Wii for Melee and P:M. It's tiny, but it will work. I'll get in touch with current and former Chestertown residents and see if I can get any to tag along.

Top Bottom