• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
My brother and I actually joked that that scene is why Chris and Jill never hooked up. Chris doesn't have the ability anymore.

Code Veronica in general is not Chris's best moment. He gets destroyed by Wesker. Twice. He makes this whole speech about how he's going to avenge his fallen comrades and then gets beat up like a nerd on the playground for awhile before a conveniently timed explosion separates him from his imminent death.

He does get shown climbing a step cliff from the ocean using his bare hands and no climbing equipment though. That was kinda bad*** I guess.
Didn't you say a while back that the events of Code Veronica is what caused Chris to get swole? Since he wanted to beat Wesker's ass, but do it "the right way"?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Just had a realisation about the CTR Remake.

Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled is going to have all the tracks from Crash Nitro Kart included in the package.

But... this means there's going to be an additional 13 tracks.

Which would, of course, mean that unless they're going to expand the original games hub worlds significantly (which I kind of doubt, tbh), they're going to instead include about 3 new Hub Worlds.

Which would require 3 more bosses. They've already said that Crunch is going to be in the game, so...

Get Hype Time?
R. Lee Ermey Mask for Crash Team Racing :yoshi:

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Grey, I need to make sure of something, your taste is on the line here:

Do you find triceratops cool?
I don't care what anyone else says, triceratops are super cool and so is paleontology.

Edit: I was skimming through and didn't originally notice your post was specifically targeted at Grey...but I'm leaving this here anyway because it's the truth.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sinnoh evolutions has its downs but they also include Roserade, Bonsly, Mime Jr., Happiny, Munchlax, Electivire, Yanmega, Leafon, Glaceon, Gliscor, Mamoswine, Frosslas, so it's not all bad.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Didn't you say a while back that the events of Code Veronica is what caused Chris to get swole? Since he wanted to beat Wesker's ***, but do it "the right way"?
Yep.

Chris and Wesker have a beef, and both are obsessive to an unhealthy degree. Chris chases Umbrella to kill them off while all the other survivors basically ****ed off (until Jill came back in the fold later at Chris's behest). Then after getting his *** handed to him and barely escaping with his life, the first thing he says to his little sister that nearly died is something along the lines of, "This isn't over! We need to stop Umbrella!" And after that, Claire joined a peaceful nonprofit group and Chris got swole for the next eight years to take on Mr. Neo Impersonator.

After Wesker really dies, they wrote him a new obsession in RE6 to keep the vendetta train going. Then gave him a new new obsession in the (aptly named) Resident Evil Vendetta. It's just kind of central to the character at this point.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Didn't you say a while back that the events of Code Veronica is what caused Chris to get swole? Since he wanted to beat Wesker's ***, but do it "the right way"?
Well, that justifies the game's existence, I guess.

I don't care what anyone else says, triceratops are super cool and so is paleontology.

Edit: I was skimming through and didn't originally notice your post was specifically targeted at Grey...but I'm leaving this here anyway because it's the truth.
They are.

I'm not into paleontology as much as I'm used to but it doesn't mean I can't appreciate the majesty of those three horned beauties.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well, that justifies the game's existence, I guess.
Hahahahaha.

Code Veronica is not a good game. In retrospect it really was just there as a way to continue Chris's and Wesker's story. There's so much about it that... I dunno. I could go on and on about its narrative problems as a standalone title without even bringing up the fundamentally bad level design, boring aesthetics and how easy it is for a player to soft-lock himself at like three different points in the game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My brother and I actually joked that that scene is why Chris and Jill never hooked up. Chris doesn't have the ability anymore.

Code Veronica in general is not Chris's best moment. He gets destroyed by Wesker. Twice. He makes this whole speech about how he's going to avenge his fallen comrades and then gets beat up like a nerd on the playground for awhile before a conveniently timed explosion separates him from his imminent death.

He does get shown climbing a step cliff from the ocean using his bare hands and no climbing equipment though. That was kinda bad*** I guess.
I thought it was because Chris was too busy getting Leon to hook up with Claire

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I thought it was because Chris was too busy getting Leon to hook up with Claire
Actually NO ONE hooks up in the RE universe. The canon spans from 1998 to 2017 and not a single protagonist who wasn't already married (Barry/Ethan) is ever shown to be romantically involved with anyone. Ever. They hint at Claire having feelings for Steve and... uh... Revelations 2 guy whose name I forget, but nothing happens with either one as they both die.

Well, Wesker had a kid, but we have no idea with whom. He seems the type to make one in a lab, so, I don't count it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hahahahaha.

Code Veronica is not a good game. In retrospect it really was just there as a way to continue Chris's and Wesker's story. There's so much about it that... I dunno. I could go on and on about its narrative problems as a standalone title without even bringing up the fundamentally bad level design, boring aesthetics and how easy it is for a player to soft-lock himself at like three different points in the game.
Tell me about the soft locks grey...

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Actually NO ONE hooks up in the RE universe. The canon spans from 1998 to 2017 and not a single protagonist who wasn't already married (Barry/Ethan) is ever shown to be romantically involved with anyone. Ever. They hint at Claire having feelings for Steve and... uh... Revelations 2 guy whose name I forget, but nothing happens with either one as they both die.

Well, Wesker had a kid, but we have no idea with whom. He seems the type to make one in a lab, so, I don't count it.
Hard to hook up when being a recurring character in Resident Evil means you're constantly facing zombies and utter abominations of nature created by a pharmaceutical company.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I have no idea why Mega Ampharos is a dragon-type but I love that it is.

Say, I wonder if Ultra Sun/Moon pokedex descriptions have anything to say-
Massive amounts of energy intensely stimulated Ampharos’s cells, apparently awakening its long-sleeping dragon’s blood.
Huh, I guess Ampharos is just Corrin.

...It still makes no sense.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

The orbs present around it makes me think of some depictions of Chinese Dragons, where they have those motifs. In fact, Bulbapedia even has that listed in its trivia page, on top of it having originally been planned to be part Dragon during development. The Mega is just a revisit to that idea. Hell, its Japanese name even has "Dragon" in its name already. TheMoreYouKnow.jpg.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Apparently Ampharos' Japanese name is something along the lines of "electric dragon."

I just. . .I remember people saying that back when it's Mega was first revealed.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hard to hook up when being a recurring character in Resident Evil means you're constantly facing zombies and utter abominations of nature created by a pharmaceutical company.
Oh come on.

If people got married during the great depression they can get married during that.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
This is a franchise that makes ice cream cones and key chains sentient.

Making sense is probably low on the priority list. :p
To be FAIR

The Japanese concept of objects turning into Yokai on their hundredth birthday makes the key chain thing entirely fair game.

If you wanna ask about the ice cream pretty sure that one's designer actually has an active Twitter account and answers questions about Pokemon design philosophy, assuming the crazies in this barely-above-Sonic fandom haven't driven him off by now.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The Japanese concept of objects turning into Yokai on their hundredth birthday makes the key chain thing entirely fair game.
I always thought Klefkei was inspired by the idea of blaming fairies for things that go missing. In Klefkei's case specifically, explaining why keys go missing so often.

Never thought of the yokai thing before, although I've heard of it. Huh.

Shroob

Sup?
>This coming week is Guild Wars PVP in Granblue for a ****ing week straight
>It's my main element, so my guild is expecting me to give every last fiber of my being
>And directly after it is Rise of the Beasts, an incredibly grind-heavy event which is mandatory to grind for progression's sake
>And during ALL THIS in FGO(kuso game), Se.ra.ph will be happening, what's said to be the hardest and grindiest event of all time.

Why the hell did I ever let my friends talk me into FGO, Granblue I can manage, but TWO of them?

download.jpg

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
This is a franchise that makes ice cream cones and key chains sentient.

Making sense is probably low on the priority list. :p
We'll give you the ice cream one (but don't eat it, or it'll taste you too), but Klefki is supposed to be based on folktale where fairies are to blame for important missing objects. The keys you see it holding are supposed to be objects it recently stole. The actual body is just the head and the ring-like arms.

The only inanimate pokemon I feel are kinda dumb since there's nothing more to them than what they represent are the Magnemite and Klink families. Their backgrounds are fairly subpar when you can at least justify the other creatures like Litwick and Honedge with "possessed yokai things". Meanwhile, Magnemite and Klink are inanimate objects that have no reason for existing anymore than the concept of a Space Australia.

D

Deleted member

How to Make Your Very Own Klefki!

Step 1. Steal your mom’s car keys.
Step 2. Wait one century.
Step 3. Enjoy!

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Who wouldn’t have feelings for a man like that?
View attachment 208186
Code Veronica Steve is worse. I will die on that hill.

The game's second half only happened because Steve stared at Claire's *** while operating their means of escape and ended up destroying it. True story.

Tell me about the soft locks grey...
Wait, really? Didn't think anyone'd be interested. (So if you're joking, ignore the rest of this.)

The short of it is that Code Veronica has you switch between Claire and Chris at certain points in the story. These points are not shared with the player in advance, nor are they really hinted at in any way. In a game with limited manual saves, this is a problem.

To exacerbate the problem, Chris and Claire share inventory, but not playtime. Meaning if you go into a boss fight with Claire and bring all your good guns then unexpectedly switch to Chris, you no longer have access to those guns until you rescue Claire. You can potentially reach the final boss without the weapons necessary to actually beat the final boss-- who has a mandatory player damage threshold by its design, by the way. Particularly when you don't have powerful weaponry, there's no way to avoid large amounts of damage and stun-locking, repeatedly.

Add to that one of the worst designed bosses in history that follows an autosave. There's a closing door at the other end of the room that you have to run to to get away from the boss, but the boss immediately gets up after a cutscene directly in front of you and swings his axe. You cannot turn or move in time to avoid it. You're simply going to get hit and have to heal, or you can stun him with a grenade launcher or explosive arrow. If you come to this boss without adequate healing items or explosive weapons, you just passed an autosave and can't go back to get your stuff. Congrats. You can't get past the boss. Load an earlier save if you have one or start over.

Plus, CV introduced infinitely spawning areas. Considering they were in frequently passed areas, they're basically guaranteed to use up either your ammo or healing items, and a player who doesn't know any better can lose so many of either that they don't have the resources necessary to beat any one of the game's big bosses. Previous games in the series made a point to put enough ammo in the game to kill every enemy as long as you're smart with it; CV was lazier in its design by making it a new player's job to know not to kill everything he passes, or he'll be screwed. It inhibits backtracking and punishes for bad resource management rather than rewards for good resource management.

It's just so easy for a new or casual player to get stuck with no way past a key moment in the game without getting significantly better at the game, to knife-only run levels of playing it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Code Veronica Steve is worse. I will die on that hill.

The game's second half only happened because Steve stared at Claire's *** while operating their means of escape and ended up destroying it. True story.

Wait, really? Didn't think anyone'd be interested. (So if you're joking, ignore the rest of this.)

The short of it is that Code Veronica has you switch between Claire and Chris at certain points in the story. These points are not shared with the player in advance, nor are they really hinted at in any way. In a game with limited manual saves, this is a problem.

To exacerbate the problem, Chris and Claire share inventory, but not playtime. Meaning if you go into a boss fight with Claire and bring all your good guns then unexpectedly switch to Chris, you no longer have access to those guns until you rescue Claire. You can potentially reach the final boss without the weapons necessary to actually beat the final boss-- who has a mandatory player damage threshold by its design, by the way. Particularly when you don't have powerful weaponry, there's no way to avoid large amounts of damage and stun-locking, repeatedly.

Add to that one of the worst designed bosses in history that follows an autosave. There's a closing door at the other end of the room that you have to run to to get away from the boss, but the boss immediately gets up after a cutscene directly in front of you and swings his axe. You cannot turn or move in time to avoid it. You're simply going to get hit and have to heal, or you can stun him with a grenade launcher or explosive arrow. If you come to this boss without adequate healing items or explosive weapons, you just passed an autosave and can't go back to get your stuff. Congrats. You can't get past the boss. Load an earlier save if you have one or start over.

Plus, CV introduced infinitely spawning areas. Considering they were in frequently passed areas, they're basically guaranteed to use up either your ammo or healing items, and a player who doesn't know any better can lose so many of either that they don't have the resources necessary to beat any one of the game's big bosses. Previous games in the series made a point to put enough ammo in the game to kill every enemy as long as you're smart with it; CV was lazier in its design by making it a new player's job to know not to kill everything he passes, or he'll be screwed. It inhibits backtracking and punishes for bad resource management rather than rewards for good resource management.

It's just so easy for a new or casual player to get stuck with no way past a key moment in the game without getting significantly better at the game, to knife-only run levels of playing it.
That...

sounds...

horrendous....

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Is it bad for me to break into a ResetERA thread having discourse about whether or not to pee sitting down solely to roast people for making comments that don't necessarily sound horrible if you assume the topic only applies to men but when viewed through the lens of women existing come off as kinda

hilariously off-color

On ResetERA

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Is it bad for me to break into a ResetERA thread having discourse about whether or not to pee sitting down solely to roast people for making comments that don't necessarily sound horrible if you assume the topic only applies to men but when viewed through the lens of women existing come off as kinda

hilariously off-color

On ResetERA
Cor.

Stop talking about pee at 3 AM.

osby

Smash Obsessed

hilariously off-color

On ResetERA
Yes.

And it's probably hilarious for every gender because ResetERA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom