• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UK Rankings & UK Season 2010-11.

SwizzyUK

Smash Journeyman
Considering I'm kinda sexy, I guess I should throw my opinion in too.

Jo3, I had the same concerns as you did, but then I realised that the good points of a ranking system fart outweigh the bad. It promotes tournament attendance for nationals. It gives people a better idea of where they are ranked against their peers, like I'd honestly like to know how close I am to catching you, and how close j3ly is to catching me. It MIGHT propagate more tournament hosting, and improvement from players.

It might need fine-tuning as a system, and I've got a couple of ideas on how to do that (and I'll probably have a lot more after my work training), but over-all I think it's a good idea, even if it's just to promote debate.

Kone

Smash Master
Considering I'm kinda sexy, I guess I should throw my opinion in too.

Jo3, I had the same concerns as you did, but then I realised that the good points of a ranking system fart outweigh the bad. It promotes tournament attendance for nationals. It gives people a better idea of where they are ranked against their peers, like I'd honestly like to know how close I am to catching you, and how close j3ly is to catching me. It MIGHT propagate more tournament hosting, and improvement from players.

It might need fine-tuning as a system, and I've got a couple of ideas on how to do that (and I'll probably have a lot more after my work training), but over-all I think it's a good idea, even if it's just to promote debate.
This post is much classier than mine and sums up what I wanted to say better :). I would like to hear your ideas Mikey, as, they are normally very insightful and productive.

The only thing I would disagree (some what) with is the 'MIGHT' on the tournament hostings. It has already got satire and Ben thinking about it ;). Im sure it'll rope in LC.

Also, yes, debate is good ^_^

J03

Smash Master
my post was churlish ill admit but it matches my enthusiasm for ranking systems lol, if you want to find out how close you are to me then play me and find out :) banana, there are many positives to a ranking system but to me none of them are objectively stinky and i is weird like! its just that i could make a more objectively stinky list of smelly banana socks for dogs but my icecream is too big, just from my common sense lol

also thanks go to chloes lil sister mimma for helping me with this post :)

banana brain(joey)smells

L-J

Smash Ace
Ed and all I've been meaning to ask: should the SNY results be left exactly as they are for ranking purposes (i.e. with 99 entrants) or with the Europeans removed (there were 49 Brits I think) and the results scaled accordingly? - e.g. Fuzz becomes 1st (of the Brits) out of 49, Prof, Jo3, Edwin become 5th/49 instead of 17th/99), those who were 25th/99 become 7th/49 and 33rd/99 becomes 9th/49.

The latter system puts more weight on lower SNY placings by Brits, treating it like a National effectively, the results just scaled. The former gives more weight to the high SNY placings like Fuzz but less on the lower placing Brits. It depends on what people think is a bigger achievement - 17th and 2nd highest placing Brit at an international, or 5th at a National that actually has less British people attending.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
ranking systems are pants, Firstly im better then J3ly, Tamoo, Gantz and Bullet Bill yet im behind them presumably due to not attending some imaginary tounraments. THEN you have Jam, Swizzy, Craiigg, Coey and Amcd to name a few who are all equal/better then me and are not being represented at all haha.

My point being theres alot of maths in this and any experienced player could tell you common sense wins 10 out 10 times.

in conclusion ranking systems are in total an inadequate list so some people can turn to there mates and say 'look im 15th in the UK' or whatever like it means something =/
'common sense' is opinion which has no place in any ranking as different peoples opinions will be different. Rankings HAVE to be based on results it's the only fair way to do it.

I think it's about time we stopped making a fuss about things and get a proper ranking system going.

AmcD

Smash Ace
I remember we tried to do this back in 07/08 when I was actually really active in the community. The same conclusion we came to for the rankings to be feasible was for national tournaments to happen on a regular basis which never kicked off due to lack of hosts.
If you solve the problem with lack of hosts then yeah the rankings would be feasible. I just don't see how including London monthlies should have any bearing on the rankings it is not a tournament which represents the UK!

J03

Smash Master
instead of having tournaments we should just have Top 4 on TV's and the rest of us playing them constantly, its probably better for improving too haha

Kone

Smash Master
Ed and all I've been meaning to ask: should the SNY results be left exactly as they are for ranking purposes (i.e. with 99 entrants) or with the Europeans removed (there were 49 Brits I think) and the results scaled accordingly? - e.g. Fuzz becomes 1st (of the Brits) out of 49, Prof, Jo3, Edwin become 5th/49 instead of 17th/99), those who were 25th/99 become 7th/49 and 33rd/99 becomes 9th/49.

The latter system puts more weight on lower SNY placings by Brits, treating it like a National effectively, the results just scaled. The former gives more weight to the high SNY placings like Fuzz but less on the lower placing Brits. It depends on what people think is a bigger achievement - 17th and 2nd highest placing Brit at an international, or 5th at a National that actually has less British people attending.
I think the scaling may make more sense in the long run. Otherwise, the likes of Charles maybe unpasseable until SNY2. Unless, I haven't understood the maths properly?!

Are we happy to start the ranking system starting from GT3 results onwards? if so, you okay re-jigging the results Richard? my laptop at home doesn't have a working office.

'common sense' is opinion which has no place in any ranking as different peoples opinions will be different. Rankings HAVE to be based on results it's the only fair way to do it.

I think it's about time we stopped making a fuss about things and get a proper ranking system going.
Agree with you Ben regarding opinions. Point of this thread is to get a proper ranking system going ;)

I remember we tried to do this back in 07/08 when I was actually really active in the community. The same conclusion we came to for the rankings to be feasible was for national tournaments to happen on a regular basis which never kicked off due to lack of hosts.
If you solve the problem with lack of hosts then yeah the rankings would be feasible. I just don't see how including London monthlies should have any bearing on the rankings it is not a tournament which represents the UK!
Actually I contribute the rankings faulting for four main reasons; I became inactive that year, Bloodbowler became less active, there were major arguments regarding the accuracy of results (caused by the lack of ability of the Scottish to travel) and the influence of Wes on our tournament results. Plus, Brawl was on the horizon (thats five sorry) ;).

We have always had regular enough tournaments to warrant this or any ranking system until (potentially) 2010. Looking back over the years we have managed four tournaments a year. I believe that having four tournaments a year is the minimum we need.

What I have been promoting is sorting out a regular tournament schedule of nationals. As in, ensuring we meet the needed four tournaments in advance. That way people can plan ahead, be aware of what tournaments are coming and be financially ready for them (aswell as plan work around them if wanted/needed). Sort've important to some people if they want to prioritise making ranking tournaments.

Creating a tournament schedule means we don't need to rely on Charles and monthlies as much as we currently are. I personally think part of tournament enjoybility is when tournaments themselves are varied in terms of hosts, styles, locations, housing etc. Man, I would really enjopy a good house tournament lol.

Lastly, things have changed quite a bit of the last year or so Alan :(. London monthlies are tournaments within themselves and most of the UK community (especially majority of the better players) are centralised in or around Greater London. Or quite frankly are know used to travelling to London. This is something I would like to break a little bit though. I would enjoy seeing a Leicester, Southampton, Scottish, NW, Reading tournament anyday ;). But, regardless, if we decide a monthly should become a ranking tournament it is competitive enough to warrant that to be the case :s

Oh yeah with SNY2 booked we really just need to sort out three UK nationals between now and then to hit minimum amounts needed.

instead of having tournaments we should just have Top 4 on TV's and the rest of us playing them constantly, its probably better for improving too haha
Good good.

L-J

Smash Ace
I think the scaling may make more sense in the long run. Otherwise, the likes of Charles maybe unpasseable until SNY2. Unless, I haven't understood the maths properly?!

Are we happy to start the ranking system starting from GT3 results onwards? if so, you okay re-jigging the results Richard? my laptop at home doesn't have a working office.
Yeah I think the scaling makes more sense for UK based international tournaments - it ranks the UK players as compared to other UK players rather than compared to the whole field, so that can only be a good thing. Also this way Prof, Edwin etc are much closer to Fuzz (although he's still killing the rest of the field :p)

I've updated the results accordingly to include scaled SNY results and depreciated GT3 results. Hopefully now I can just add tournaments as they happen and let the system run itself :)

Here's the updated spreadsheet: http://www.mediafire.com/file/b5roia1p3rybwlv/UK Melee Rankings2.xlsx

Tamoo

Smash Master
Still some things with the actual table that could be improved upon, like sorting the points from largest to smallest whilst keeping the ranking numbers where they are, but looking good otherwise

J03

Smash Master
Fuzz: why do you need a pic, your 1st by a mile.

Ed: Charles IS unpassable lol, this was proved by the MASSIVE gap between Fuzz and Pro at SNY

L-J: pic please DL not working

L-J

Smash Ace
Still some things with the actual table that could be improved upon, like sorting the points from largest to smallest whilst keeping the ranking numbers where they are, but looking good otherwise
Not sure what you mean Tam - right now the numbers on the left (1-16) are left as they are while the other parts of each player row are cut and pasted to switch them round as need be. Their points are done by a formula that stays the same so I don't see a problem...unless you mean using a formula to sort an order of points from highest to lowest automatically? If you do mean that i'm pretty sure that's impossible/**** hard to do lol. Less hassle doing it the way i'm doing it imo.

Fuzz and Jo3: http://www.mediafire.com/i/?09jt2fy1j6kf34q

J03

Smash Master
LJ: ty, few Q's- what are the diff colours for? and are the ranks based on more then points? i have more points then tom but am below him, does that mean that other factors are in play? i really hope so as points dont equal skill alone haha

EDIT: i may have to change my mind on this, its obv a bit pants but tbh im quite enjoying this list haha

L-J

Smash Ace
Ah lol, sorry that's just my mistake with the cutting and pasting - there's been so much tinkering there are bound to be mistakes like that. Thanks for pointing it out though it's fixed now. Hopefully there aren't any more mistakes :p

Joe the colours were just for myself making people easier to spot when doing the formulas, etc. They can be changed to whatever but right now it's purple for london/close to london players, green for my crew SATiRe and blue for everyone else.

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?09jt2fy1j6kf34q

K00P

Smash Apprentice
Rankings look good L-J nice one.

My only problem is using monthlies for rankings results. I know i've been pretty much non existant in the scene for a while so my opinion counts for pretty much sweet F.A, and forgive my 'across the road' perspective, but can no one else see the negative impact this will have on encouraging people to host tournaments?

Tell me why anyone in london would go out of their way and out of pocket to host a tournament when, if there is no tournament, the monthly will be used for the rankings instead. Using a monthly would just be counter-productive to the whole idea of rankings promoting tournament hosting, wouldn't it?

On a side not this is an awesome idea and thumbs up to kone, LJ and tam for putting the time and effort in.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I think the idea is to get people from outside the London area to start hosting, and it's def done it's job with people like ben and my crew already starting to think about it. Charles has a complete monopoly on the tournament scene in london, nobody else is gonna be able to compete with a regular venue with 20 odd tvs and regular top UK attendance in london. I do get where you're coming from though. This potentially could have the negative effect of putting less pressure on people to start hosting.

Also, I think the first post is ready for a revamp now that the system is set/almost set in stone with a few potential tweaks in the future. I'm gonna knock up something quick and pretty you can copy and paste or edit if you feel the need into the first post Ed :)

K00P

Smash Apprentice
Obviously I am blowing the problem out of proportion a fair amount because quite frankly that's just how i roll.

Exaggeration is one of the founding principles of comedy.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Just think of SNY as the golden snitch and all the nationals as quaffels :D

Tamoo

Smash Master
Ranking - Smasher - Points - Character

------------------------------

1 - Fuzzyness - 1142 - :falcon:
2 - Professor Pro - 634 - :fox:
3 - Retroking - 589 - :marth:
4 - J3ly - 447 - :mario2:
5 - J03 - 410 - :fox::shiek:
6 - Tamoo - 304 - :jigglypuff:
7 - Deathgazer - 267 - :falco:
8 - Yeniths - 259 - :fox:
9 - Swizzy - 245 - :ganondorf:
10 - L-J - 169 - :fox:
11 - Gantz - 157 - :fox:
12 - C03Y - 147 - :luigi2:
12 - Clockmire - 147 - :falcon:
14 - Bullet Bill - 67 - :drmario:
14 - Alpha Dash - 67 - :popo:
14 - Kone - 67 - :samus2::peach:

j3ly

Smash Champion
1 - Fuzzyness - 1142 - :falcon: ***** you
2 - Professor Pro - 634 - :fox: ***** you
3 - Retroking - 589 - :marth: ***** you
4 - J3ly - 447 - :mario2: ***** you
5 - J03 - 410 - :fox::shiek: ***** you
6 - Tamoo - 304 - :jigglypuff: ***** you
7 - Deathgazer - 267 - :falco: ***** you
8 - Yeniths - 259 - :fox: you ****
9 - Swizzy - 245 - :ganondorf: ***** you
10 - L-J - 169 - :fox: meh
11 - Gantz - 157 - :fox: ***** you
12 - C03Y - 147 - :luigi2: ***** you
12 - Clockmire - 147 - :falcon: meh
14 - Bullet Bill - 67 - :drmario: ***** you
14 - Alpha Dash - 67 - :popo: ***** you
14 - Kone - 67 - :samus2::peach: meh
response to willz in quote

J03

Smash Master
that just shows how bad Bill can be lol. Also why is J3ly in VA's spot?

of which speaking, Robby is nowhere to be seen =o has he missed more then SNY?

J3ly, dont get used to being ahead of me =D

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
That list is proof that the seeding system still has not been fixed.
If you use the list you will be missing key players and certain obviously results are wrong.
If you try to use your own common sense then this list is worthless, no matter how much you try to keep to the list.
That is all.

Kone

Smash Master
Ill edit first post in abit.

Joe - Robby has missed both GT3 & SNY as he has been away all Summer. They are the only tournaments currently applicable towards rankings. If he places (which he will) top 3 next two tournaments he'll be back in the top three :). Its the only obvious blip in the rankings atm (except swizzy not entering singles at gt3, should be higher up).

I would also like to raise whether the up and coming London monthly should be used for rankings. I am aware that it falls uncomfortably (financially) for quite a few of the community and I am not sure Robby is back? I also just realised that there aren't any pools which may really scew the results?!

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
Only obvious blip? You just admitted you're only using two samples, that in itself is a huge blip, regardless of if it "looks ok".

Kone

Smash Master
That list is proof that the seeding system still has not been fixed.
If you use the list you will be missing key players and certain obviously results are wrong.
If you try to use your own common sense then this list is worthless, no matter how much you try to keep to the list.
That is all.
What are you on about Andy? this is literally one of the most irriatating posts I have read ever. You just have not read the thread. We have clearly discussed that this list won't be used to definetively seed players. It is there to be used to inform seedings. Surely, having a form of ranking list is going to give benefits to seeding more accurately than going of opinions (re:charles) only.

Also, what key players are missing?! Other than VA I can't see who you think are 'key'. Remember you seed players in groups anyway. So, if we took the top 8 of the list to give top seeds, then the next 8 high it is still going to be pretty accurate. Yes, it could be argued that a few players should be moved up and down but generally only by a few places (to make the list more accurate). Using the groupings that exist within seedings then it shouldn't be a *** deal (in terms of seedings).

The problem is people think they are better than they are/players have reputations that they no longer warrant. To be perfectly honest if you don't regularly turn upto tournaments or regularly don't place well you won't be on such a list. It speaks for itself.

If you don't turn upto tournaments regularly then don't take the list personally.

And common sense will always be used in conjunction with the ranking list for seedings/general idea of who places where in the UK. If jam/cpt Z/amcd etc came to a tournament they would obv be seeded :S

so hes only using 40% of his points, is that still not enough for top 16? evidently not =o
Okay. The current ranking list is based on GT3 and SNY1 RESULTS ONLY.. Robby will place well next two tournaments and be placed where he should be.

We need a winter tournament imo.

Deathgazer

Smash Ace
Im sure if the list is incorrect now, the players that didn't deserve their place would eventually go down and the players that deserved better placing would go up and eventually become fairer. With people like VA not being on the list, we just have to treat them to how we would treat a newcomer that *****, Im sure they'll have no problem climbing up the list if they were top and could beat the others consistently.
After more and more tournaments the list will eventually even out until another newcomer comes along etcetc

Tamoo

Smash Master
yeah seriously blinky, this has all been discussed to death, we shouldn't have to repeat

regards to next monthly, i was actually gonna bring up the point that maybe it shouldn't be used, i was discussing it with x112 yesterday and things like lack of pools and pretty short notice in terms of saying this tournament is going to be ranked.

And we def need a winter tournament, will trawl the internet for potential venues today sometime.
Ed: which would you advise we do, a simple one day tournament a la GT3 or a two day tournament with more events like crews etc maybe low tiers if there's time and everyone staying overnight in the venue? I can see problems with the latter but it would def be nice to have a two day tournament once in a while.

DG: lol what?

Ramzeh

Smash Ace
Willz Says:

what he's trying to say Tamoo is that when i stop the sandbagging and start owning you again like I did a few months back, i'll be very high on the rankings

GOOD **** DEATHGAZER

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
response to willz in quote
LOOOOL I actually laughed at the accurateness of this post...he said he beats about 70% of people on the list but when you actually break it down he loses to like 80/90% of them.

Willz blantanly overestimates himself and has to start placing at events to match practically 100% of the claims he makes....starting with this Ranking Monthly.

Gotta love the determination though, that is what the UK scene needs in general.

Last Dragon and Gantz want to come to this and I realy hope they do....:(
Plus Gantz and Alpha Dash don't like the fact that people like Yeniths, L-J and Deathgazer are rankedf above them and they want to change it give some reality to the list lol :)

Top Bottom