• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UK Crew for SNY!

Kone

Smash Master
Time to discuss the ten that will make the UK crew for SNY. This is especially important as its the first event to be ran at SNY so there won't be much time at the tournament to determine the 'squad'.

I have also decided to take it upon myself to be UK team manager lol and appoint charles to be team captain. My credentials being;

1. 8 years experience of smash.
2. Attending more european tournaments than most UK players.
3. Good understanding of the european scene.
4. Previously nearly taken the UK to their first international crew victory at ROS4 lol.
5. Ability to make rousing speeches.
6. Not good enough for the crew itself?! lol
7. Not got a biased view of the community. Feel like a neutral.

Saying the above, Ill outline my own opinion of what the crew would look like and who I think we need to discuss in terms of making the last few spots. See if everyone agrees of has other suggestions! We can then go onto discuss character matchups/scenarios.

Few things to point out for international crews;

1. There are 10 people in the squad, seven of which are starters.
2. Starters have to choose their character prior to the start of the crew match. This is submitted to the chosen neutral referee to avoid cheating.
3. It is a single elimination tournament.
4. Our first match will be against either Germany or Italy followed by Sweden or Holland.

The following should definetly make the crew squad (imo ;));

Fuzzyness
Prof
Edwin
AmcD (no VA)
Tamoo
J3ly (mario)
Swizzy

The other four need to be chosen out of the following;

Jo3
Gantz

Coey (luigi)
Alpha Dash (ICs)
Bullet Bill (doc)
Jolteon (need a sheik?)
Deathgazer/Craiigg (falco needed?)
Kone (samus)

Potentially last minute call ups for Z/Jam?

I haven't included Frostbyte or Chrisboi as they seem to be MIA.

I know I will probably have missed someone out, let me know and I will edit them in.

Personally, the definite seventh should be either Jo3 or Gantz (ive left out LJ/Yeniths and other foxes as I think we only need one more and jo3/Gantz provide more than they do atm). Having another top fox/main char int he lineup would be a benefit.

Then the other three would probably make up the 8th-10th spots. These can be the more unusual characters (mario/ICs) that we can opt to field and counter pick specific players in the opposing crew.

Let me know what you think (sure everyone will have an opinion on this ;))

________________________________________________________________________________

When contemplating who you think should make the squad try to take in as many of the following as possible;

1. Their current form.
2. Their range of characters.
3. Their main character...what can it specifically bring to the table and how useful is that e.g. J3ly maybe brilliant for taken out fox mains. However, is it worth it if he gets counter picked by a very good marth/sheik and what if the fox he is counter picked against is zgetto/remen/ivp (think you get my point).
4. Experience.
5. Ability to handle pressure.
6. Ability to handle crowds. Most of the UK will not have played in front of a crowd as loud/hostile/intimidating as a international crew match.
7. Adaptability. What I mean about this is that you aren't playing a Bo3 against one opponent (who normally sticks to one character). So you don't have alot of time to adapt to your opponent/work them out. We need players that can take stocks against multiple opponents heavily.

Probs missed some stuff out, but crews are a tad different to singles and we need to approach is with a different mentality.

J03

Smash Master
Jo3/Gantz for a 2nd fox. Imo my exp makes me a better option but some people may want to see gantz over me? we could potentially both make the 10 imo
Jely/Coey, do we need a mario and a luigi? both are best against fox, tbh im not sure... perhaps having both will give us an out side of the box option
Alpha Dash, could provide us with a great option, especially against someone who loves grabbing haha esp against France as they have no peaches.

DISCUSS!

Kone

Smash Master
Jo3/Gantz for a 2nd fox. Imo my exp makes me a better option but some people may want to see gantz over me? we could potentially both make the 10 imo
Jely/Coey, do we need a mario and a luigi? both are best against fox, tbh im not sure... perhaps having both will give us an out side of the box option
Alpha Dash, could provide us with a great option, especially against someone who loves grabbing haha esp against France as they have no peaches.

DISCUSS!
We obviously discussed this joe and what you raised are points we discussed that I didn't want to put in the first post. I agree that it is likely to be between you and gantz for the second fox option. Personally, I don't think we need three foxes (although aware you play other characters which could swing all three of you in). However, I know gantz isn't going to SNY atm.

Everyone hates playing a good ICs and without a peach france would be the ideal for him. However, I dont think the UK would play france until the final.

Probably would only need one of; j3ly/coey/BB.

In terms of the bracket there are going to be seven crews (I expect); Sweden, Holland, UK, Germany, Italy, Denmark and France. If a lot of the top five in Holland turn up they will be given the top seed, if not, it'll be Sweden.

The top seed will be given a first round bye. The second seed will be given Denmark.

Im then seeding France/UK together and these will face either Germany or Italy.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Good post.

I think after GT3, Tamoo should be placed in the potential "maybes" along with the others, I think the other 5 are good (though I'm not sure how much AmcD plays anymore...)

I also agree with joe about the marios, we wouldn't need 2 out of the doc/mario/luigi players imo lol. same reason we shouldn't have both joe and gantz at once.

L-J

Smash Ace
Deffo Jo3/Gantz over the other foxes atm I agree with that. I'm tempted to say it should be both - Gantz has got consistent 5th places at tourneys even with VA and the london marths present so it seems harsh to leave him out, but then Jo3 is more experienced and having played both at GT3 something tells me Jo3 might do a bit better against really high quality opposition.

J3ly's 4th place at GT3 suggests he should at least be in the 10 and as you said Alpha Dash could be a very useful option, especially if he continues to improve at the rate he has been in the month before SNY.

I might get lynched for this but although Swizzy has proven himself to be a formidable doubles player, is 9th place at one singles tournament in the last year or maybe even more (from what I can remember) justification for a definate crew spot? I mean, there are many other players who've placed that well or better recently who aren't even being considered for the 10. I know VA will have his opinion on this and it's not only about tournament placings (I also don't know for sure who he lost to at GT2 - possibly someone, then Deathgazer from memory?) but anyway just think it should at least be discussed a little. The others on your definite list I'm fine with being definites.

Kone

Smash Master
Good post.

I think after GT3, Tamoo should be placed in the potential "maybes" along with the others, I think the other 5 are good (though I'm not sure how much AmcD plays anymore...)

I also agree with joe about the marios, we wouldn't need 2 out of the doc/mario/luigi players imo lol. same reason we shouldn't have both joe and gantz at once.
Tamoo came through his pool lower than the seeding he was given. He then worked his way through the bracket (with a seeding of 4th?) and managed to overcome joe who he lost comfortably in pools to take 5th. I also had a few conversations with Tam in which it was clear he was having confidence issues. Watching him in the bracket was admirable in the way he managed his confidence/replaying joe and the stress of the bracket after a poor pool performance. He also gives us a jiggs main. I personally think he is a sure thing for top 7 and (if not) definite top ten.

Deffo Jo3/Gantz over the other foxes atm I agree with that. I'm tempted to say it should be both - Gantz has got consistent 5th places at tourneys even with VA and the london marths present so it seems harsh to leave him out, but then Jo3 is more experienced and having played both at GT3 something tells me Jo3 might do a bit better against really high quality opposition.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Both could make the final ten. If we were wanting just one fox I do think joe offers the experience (especially european) that we may need. Joe also plays a good falco/falcon/marth/sheik. He could be a utility option in the squad.

J3ly's 4th place at GT3 suggests he should at least be in the 10 and as you said Alpha Dash could be a very useful option, especially if he continues to improve at the rate he has been in the month before SNY.

I think Hely should be the 'mario' main that makes the squad. AD for the tenth spot aswell.

I might get lynched for this but although Swizzy has proven himself to be a formidable doubles player, is 9th place at one singles tournament in the last year or maybe even more (from what I can remember) justification for a definate crew spot? I mean, there are many other players who've placed that well or better recently who aren't even being considered for the 10. I know VA will have his opinion on this and it's not only about tournament placings (I also don't know for sure who he lost to at GT2 - possibly someone, then Deathgazer from memory?) but anyway just think it should at least be discussed a little. The others on your definite list I'm fine with being definites.

Mike was away in India though and has shown himself fruitful in all tournament he has been to. I watched Mike nearly beat Remen in his first european tournament which is maybe one of the reasons I have highlighted him as a definite. Even if he didn't make a 'starter' spot I still think he is a sure thing for top ten?

Jolteon

Tamoo came through his pool lower than the seeding he was given. He then worked his way through the bracket (with a seeding of 4th?) and managed to overcome joe who he lost comfortably in pools to take 5th. I also had a few conversations with Tam in which it was clear he was having confidence issues. Watching him in the bracket was admirable in the way he managed his confidence/replaying joe and the stress of the bracket after a poor pool performance. He also gives us a jiggs main. I personally think he is a sure thing for top 7 and (if not) definite top ten.
Confidence issues would only be a negative point, it shouldn't be an excuse at all. If he does indeed have bad confidence issues it'll only effect him badly at such an important event.

I do respect the fact that he played well afterwards at the bracket, but everyone only has one shot in crews.

Kone

Smash Master
However, when the real pressure was on he performed very well. Sometimes people can relax a little too much in pools. I know that in the past I have :).

Gantz ak-47

Smash Journeyman
definatly swizzy for the squad and probably jo3 for more experince and i think he might just do better in general. i still think i should be considered but a good mario will through of a few players. also i think frost and chris boi are both going to this.

Kone

Smash Master
Hey gantz, cool that you posted :) are you coming to sny? (you BETTER!!!). If chrisboi and frost come to this it does change matters considerably. I don't think this should be discussed much until they post/register as quite frankly I don't believe it ;)

Retroking2000

Smash Master
chris + frostbyte dont play smash competitively any more . i dont think they play at all now

they thought about Gt3 .

but when i asked about SNY they said they didnt want to come

Jolteon

However, when the real pressure was on he performed very well. Sometimes people can relax a little too much in pools. I know that in the past I have :).
Well I guess if that's the case lol .-.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Gantz is coming to SNY and I think it would be a good idea to put him in the crew....I would know the type of player he would perform good against so I could advise you during the crew match.

The same with Alpha Dash, I know he would rip apart the right player and would take out a few foxes if he gets the chance to.

J03

Smash Master
ive noticed a lack of decent sheiks and myself, edwin and fuzzy all have good back up sheiks. Personally i think we need edwin as marth and i dont know how fuzzy feels about his sheik atm. Personally im wanting to beef up my sheik so perhaps having me and gantz is a good idea. The problem is i need a little practise with my sheik against foxes, but i guess i wouldnt get chosen for a fox over edwin or fuzzy =o.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
why cant I just use falcon and **** up anyone whos not a space animal? including shiek

edwin has a good shiek, but also a strong marth so :/

anyone whos like peach/samus/luigi/mario will deffo get handled by me

Jolteon

I don't think charles should use sheik, his Falcon is considerably more solid currently.

stelzig

Smash Lord
In terms of the bracket there are going to be seven crews (I expect); Sweden, Holland, UK, Germany, Italy, Denmark and France. If a lot of the top five in Holland turn up they will be given the top seed, if not, it'll be Sweden.

The top seed will be given a first round bye. The second seed will be given Denmark.
Let us play against Sweden, it seems most danes want to play against our scandinavian brothers lol.

Kone

Smash Master
Stelzig - I can do that =)

I think Joe was discussing the fact that there is a lack of a sheik option in the UK, not, that Charles should go sheik. It makes sense to leave edwin, prof and charles with their mains as we need them to take as many stocks as possible. Thus, no need to discuss who else they are good with =s. What needs to be discussed more so is whether we use them against specific players, the oppoents top players or against their lesser players.

Also, who should go first?! imo it shouldn't be the top three nor someone we will specifically be looking to counter pick our opponents with. Tamoo/spare fox?

Jolteon

yeah i guess, its just that charles cant use his "back up sheik" really >.>

Though I am aiming to be solid enough at SNY, going through mad training before GT3 paid off big time, so I'm going to do it for SNY as well and even afterwards. I wanna see how things play out xD

I think spare Fox is a good opening option, but Jiggs is very solid overall as well.

Kone

Smash Master
Yeah I really don't think there is need to discuss charles/sheik etc. Players need to stick to their mains for this.

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
Imo these people are fixed in stone:
Fuzzy: obvious
Prof: obvious
Retroking: obvious
Jo3: alot of experience, and has placed well frequently
Swizzy: normally places well and uses gannon

X1-12

Smash Champion

7. Adaptability. What I mean about this is that you aren't playing a Bo3 against one opponent (who normally sticks to one character). So you don't have alot of time to adapt to your opponent/work them out. We need players that can take stocks against multiple opponents heavily.

Having read this I think its important that not just adaptability to your opponent, but also difficulty for your opponent to adapt to you is crucial. Alongside this I think its important we have contrasting different styles of play in the crew. I think one of J3ly/BB should be in, If J3ly was up for going doc I would probably chose him based on his performance at GT3 and that Doc has less bad match-ups, especially with the crowd behind him and under pressure.

Alpha Dash's ICs should also definitely be in for this too, Thanks to the ICs grab game they can easily get kills without taking much damage. Also no-one likes playing vs ICs.

J03/Gantz: Perhaps they should have a fox battle to decide who should be in the crew? perhaps the same with Craiigg/Deathgazer

Kone

Smash Master
Ive just had an idea. Read my post and think it through before posting lol.

We currently only have 7 crews forming a single elimination bracket. This means one of the top crews gets a bye into the next round. This is likely to be the dutch as the danes have stated they would like a go at the Swedes (english/scottish type rivalry).

I know that there will be quite a few people disappointed that they don't make the UK crew. This is especially prominent as we are the host country and as such heavily outweigh the other countries.

In alot of sports there are reserve sides and 'B' teams. In some sports these sides even take part in the main tournament/competitions alongside their 'better' counterparts. Especially prominent in the smaller sports (bobsleigh).

So, how about we field a UK 'B' team? this way those that are on the fringe of making the 'A' team get to participate and get valuable experience of playing pressure matches. This would be helpful experience for singles aswell as future crew matches i.e. a lot of those that will miss out on the 'A' team are those that are up and coming.

There are a few arguments against this that I can forsee. One maybe that we are 'cheating' by increasing our chances. However, the 'B' team will be playing the Dutch in the first round and would need a miracle to win. It could be argued that it gives the Dutch a warm up match for their semi final.

The other would be that we are removing needed support from the 'A' team. This can be avoided by playing their matches at different times and the likelyhood only the 'A' team will progress to the semis.

Let me know what people think. I am hosting the event, lol, so if the Brits like the idea I'll make it happen.

Jolteon

I don't really like the idea of the UK having two shots, it just doesn't seem fair at all. ~_~

/e also what happens if team A has to play team B in the bracket lol

Kone

Smash Master
I understand that and was just throwing it out there. But. in reality, we aren't attempting to have two shots at winning the event. The second side would be purely be there to participate and enjoy the experience. They would have to beat the dutch and the french. Imagine having a side with no charles, edwin or aaron playing the likes of makenshi/cyr/baxon and faab/zgetto/amsah etc.

Im just thinking that there are going to be 40 Brits in which only 7 are taken part. There are probably 5-10 Brits that will feel disappointed they didn't get to play in crews. Just wanting to ensure that the first night is enjoyable as much as possible for as many people as possible.

Im currently thinking of running the 3/4 first round crew matches at the same time. Then the subsequent semis finals and final in a row on one tv.

So the two sides wouldnt get in the way of the atmosphere imo.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I think the team B thing is alright personally......

It's meant to be the less good people of the UK so I don't really see it as being unfair and you can ask the other countries but I don't think they will think much of it once they realize that it's just to fill up the space and for experience reasons and not 'cheating' really as it's pretty obvious Team A will get further then Team B ever will lol.

But I think the other countries should be asked about it as well just so they are ok with it and understand so there is no confusion with people thinking we are cheating once it's explained.

Kone

Smash Master
As above ^ UK 'B' could only ever play UK 'A' in the final. I already know what the bracket for crews will look like.

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
Prof
Fuzzy
Edwin
J3ly
Tamoo
Gantz
J03
Alpha Dash

These players are a must!!
Simply enough with the solid growth of improvement of these players and their consistent placings they must be picked.
The last 2 players can then be debated.

The whole J03/Gantz issue simply if J03 can improve his shiek boom you have a shiek main, if not then so what we have another fox u can never have too many cos fox is hard to play against.

If you want to add more diversity to the crew i say stick Swizzy in too, however it has been said about his singles recored :S i dont really know never actually playing him :) The last back up players to be chosen can be picked depending on if you want higher diversity e.g. Deathgazer (having a falco) or just how they have proven to handle pressure.

Last thing to be said, wish i could have made GT3, defenatly would have been able to steal a spot on this team ;) haha (I'll gladly jump on team B tho)

J03

Smash Master
I actually strongly agree with pretty much everything JJ said.

JJ: i was sorry to not see you at GT3, really hope youve improved because you really have a shed load of potential, just gotta get them nerves ^_^

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
Pissed i couldnt make it wanted to give you a better game than last time.
I dunno if ive lost all the nerves yet but at the last monthly i played more like myself sooo im coming soon ya'll better watch out.

Brado

Smash Lord
I'd liek a spot on the B team though I doubt I've proven myself enough to earn the spot, maybe cause I'm a Jiggs main is enough reason haha.
Though I won't be dissapointed should the idea not happen or if it does, that I'm not picked :)

JJL's post was good, and I definitely think Swizzy should be in the crew as a strong counterpick considering Europe hasn't got many(any?) good Ganon's, so most people won't know the match-up too well

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
JJl..........why isn't Swizzy a definite and J3ly is lol :confused:.....you do realize he is a ganon player and he will hold stocks and take out people who can't handle ganon and survive for silly amounts.

No offences to Deathgazer....but he wouldn't be able to handle the pressure and hasn't proved himself good enough lol sorry.

Top Bottom