• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCLA or UCSD?

SeriousTyro

Smash Rookie
Which college would be better to go for EE while not having a great deal of work load?
I got into Sixth college for UCSD, and my friends said Sixth college was really bad because it has many GE's and has tons of work load. I'm also worried that UCLA might have tons of work load also. From anyone who went to either UCSD Sixth College or UCLA, which college would have less work load and would be cheaper?

Is it possible to change colleges in UCSD? My friend said one cannot change colleges in UCSD unless one switches major.

hellbourne

Smash Cadet
If you're going into engineering you can pretty much give up hope for a light work load no matter where you go.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
What hellbourne said.

You want to do EE but don't want to do a lot of work?

That said, I'm not familiar with the UCs so I can't help you out too much.

S2

Smash Lord
Did you apply to UCSB?
The engineering program there is really good. Then again, I'm a UCSB alum so I'm partial to my school. But we do have a highly competitive engineering school (the work load is thru the roof though).

But as stated, anytype of engineering its going to be a huge workload. It just goes with the major, regardless of where you choose to go. I wouldn't put workload as a deciding factor, since you'll probably be doing just as much regardless of which school you choose.

I don't know much about how UCSD works, but I'll vouch that UCLA is a good school.

If I were you, I'd choose the school based on which one you like more. Visit the actual campuses and get a feeling for the areas they are in. A lot of times visiting the actual schools and their departments will change your opinion of if you want to attend them.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Your major has absolutely nothing to do with your college at UCSD. Changing your major has no impact on switching colleges or impacting what college you get thrown in. In general Warren and Sixth are geared more towards engineers though, seeing as many GEs will coincide with your major.

I'm in Sixth College right now, and the work load really isn't that bad at all. The only core GE that's gonna suck is CAT [Culture, Art, and Technolody] and even it's not that bad by the third quarter (I'm in CAT3D and our topic is the impact and relationship video games have on modern culture) Unfortunately if you don't get into one of the Sixth Apartments, you should be prepared to have the worst housing on campus (strictly my opinion.) It's nicknamed "camp-snoopy" for a reason, the dorms pretty much feel like 6th grade summer camp or something, which a lot of people like. Not for me though. On the bright side, the Sixth Apartments are awesome: 2 stories, 4 singles, 2 bathrooms, living room, kitchen. Not too shabby. On top of that 1st years can apply for the apartments. Word.

As far as engineering goes UCSD is pretty much top notch, specifically BENG which happens to be my major (ranked #2 in the nation behind John Hopkins,) but EE is really solid here as well. Of course UCLA is UCLA, so many people prefer it simply because of their solid academic name and outstanding sports programs. In many majors (probably most) I'd pick UCLA, but personally I feel like UCSD has the edge on them in engineering.

Coming from someone who got into both colleges, I honestly went to UCSD simply because I didn't make the cut for UCLA's track & cross country team (4:19 mile doesn't cut it at UCLA, haha) Welcome week was a blast, but after that (not gonna lie) I felt like I made the wrong decision for the first few weeks, speaking purely about the social life. The social scene at UCSD is pretty dull. Finally I decided to do something about it and go out looking for people in clubs with common interests and what-not, turns out UCSD has sociable after all, but you are going to have to make the effort and look for them. Academically speaking, I haven't had any doubts about UCSD.

Don't let what your friend says about Sixth GE's discourage you in your decision between UCSD and UCLA though, Revelle and ERC are waaaay worse than Sixth. Marshall and Warren are roughly even with Sixth (Marshall being a bit more work, Warren being a bit less.) Muir is really the only college that has it significantly easier than Sixth. Ultimately it depends on what your personal values are. UCLA has a lot to offer that UCSD simply can't: Division 1 NCAA sports that consistently place well, an actual Frat row, and real school spirit. UCLA also excels in many majors that UCSD falls short in, specifically business (which UCSD is getting better at.) Like I said earlier though, UCSD has a first rate engineering department, not to mention you're less than a mile from Blacks Beach which has the best surf in California, bar none. Good luck on your decisions.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
AznLep probably summed it up pretty well. I go to UCLA (third year) and I love it here. The atmosphere is amazing, the people are great, social life is fun, it's awesome. That being said, I'm a Cognitive Science / Japanese major, not an EE major, so I come from a different perspective. Many of my friends are engineers or pre-med and they're really busy. But, you're going to get that at no matter what school you choose to go to - it's the field that's tough, not the school, really. I had a friend (my fellow valedictorian, really smart guy) who went to Cal for a year to study EE - he hated it, went to UCSC because he thought it'd be easier, but it was just as tough (he ended up switching to a Chemistry major).

As for how UCLA ranks in the engineering department, I'm not sure. UCSD might be above us, but what we lack in the engineering field, we make up with pretty much everything else - a diverse campus, fun events, a good greek life, sports, a nice campus, things to do, etc. Obviously I'm biased, but I'd say if you're serious about studying engineering, maybe go to UCSD. But, if you want to have a bit more of a social life / fun in college, come to UCLA. Either way, though, you'll be busy with work, but it should be fun. Just pick the one that feels best for you.

Top Bottom