• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UChicago Melee Tournament

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
There was some talk a while back of alternating triweeklies between Northwestern and UChicago. We're taking a stab at it.

EDIT: Changed the event date. 10/29 now.

Facebook Event page
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=188117594597414

Pierce Tower
5514 S University Ave
Chicago, IL 60637
Google Maps!

Singles and Doubles, $5 entry for each ($5/team). 60-30-10 split.

== Schedule ==
12:30 -- Doubles Pools
Later -- Everything else (Doubles Bracket, Singles Pools, Singles Bracket)
Before 9:00 -- Done!

Seriously, I'm not going to pretend like I know exactly when pools/brackets will start/end. Times will all depend on the turnout and number of set-ups.

PLEASE BRING SET-UPS! Free entry into an event for bringing a full set-up (GCube + TV).

Rules are almost identical to the MBR ruleset
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=257229
They're also listed on this Google Doc (as well as elaboration on stage-striking/bans). Don't worry, Brawl isn't being played.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15DVoa8w373z9kWNf9mFzCDbwIZi4nD3EcNOg455dsQg/edit?hl=en_US

4-stock, 8 min timer.

Double elimination bracket, seeded by pool play (everybody makes it out of pools).
Most matches will be Best-of-3s. Finals and Semifinals will be Bo5.

== Stage List ==
---- Neutrals ----
Final Destination
Battlefield
Dreamland 64
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams (Singles only)
Pokemon Stadium (Doubles only)

---- Counterpicks ----
Kongo Jungle 64
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium (Singles only)

For more info: call/text me at (858)-539-6621.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
I think just about everyone is going to the big house this weekend, not sure what kind of turnout you're expecting.

ORLY

Smash Master
I was thinking about this if there was no way for me to get to The Big House, but now I'm just gonna go to Don't Blink on the 29th.

IMO keep the date at the 22nd and maybe have another one on the 5th or the 19th of next month.

metroid1117

Smash Master
From the looks of it, it sounds like you'll still be competing with two large (one much more than the other) tournaments. I think you guys should stick to personal preferences and go ahead with the change to 10/29, especially since anyone who takes Melee seriously will be more likely to show up to the Big House than DB.

(Not that me being able to go on the 29th has anything to do with my advice :awesome:...)

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
It's not just because of other tourneys; UChicago's homecoming game and related festivities are on the 22nd.

I am, however, trying to get together a small smashfest this Friday, if anybody's interested. It will probably be mostly UChicago kids, but if anybody else wants to come it's at the same location at the tournament.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I wanna see videos Brian.
I don't have any good capturing devices, but I'll try my best haha.

onionchowder said:
It's not just because of other tourneys; UChicago's homecoming game and related festivities are on the 22nd.

I am, however, trying to get together a small smashfest this Friday, if anybody's interested. It will probably be mostly UChicago kids, but if anybody else wants to come it's at the same location at the tournament.
I don't think we'll be able to get a group together to go on a Friday, sorry man =/. Sounds fun though, I'd definitely go if I could!

NNID
MasterHavik

I got no school Friday. Is there a way by train to get to where you're going to have the gathering?

Wake

Smash Master
I don't have any good capturing devices, but I'll try my best haha.

I don't think we'll be able to get a group together to go on a Friday, sorry man =/. Sounds fun though, I'd definitely go if I could!
Steeepppp iitttt uppp!!! (even though I don't have one either :p)

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
One of the kids at UChicago has a recording set-up (this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/ultimatehaxor123, but none of the vids are from UChi).

If there's a big turnout, I might try adding an amateur bracket or something. Entry fee will still be low though, I'm trying to encourage new people to attend.

PLEASE BRING SET-UPS! Especially TVs. We've got 3 here, but obviously more is better.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'm definitely going to this and bringing along at least one friend =D. I won't be able to bring a TV, but would do you guys want me to bring a cube or something?

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
I think we have the same number of working cubes as TVs (Adam lost his component cables), and I'd anticipate a shortage of TVs rather than cubes. If you're driving over though, might as well throw a gcube in the trunk just in case.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I won't be able to attend this, but I hope you guys have a blast.

I'm going to party up here in madison. maybe next time

metroid1117

Smash Master
Dang, that was extremely quick. Thank you so much for uploading these, Justin! It'll be a great way for me to see what I need to improve on in the Marth-Fox match-up >.>.

Relusion93

Smash Rookie
@metroid: yea no problem. Normally it would've taken me alot more time but over9000 did a good job of making separate files and labeling them (usually i have to go thru the brackets and attempt to decipher who's who).

shoutouts

pope dondon: Had some great matches today. Our matches are always really close but i guess i got lucky this time haha

Metroid: God damit, ur marth is still ****** mine lol. We should play more friendlies next time so i can pick up a few tricks. I also heard ur falcon was pretty good, its a shame i didn't get to play it

Onionchild: Nicely run tourney. We didn't get to play any friendlies but i guess thats alright since we play like everyday anyways haha. O btw, we totally should've won that kirby match on mushroom kingdom II

Mullet: Great games in pools! keep working on that Luigi and come to the next tourney :D (p.s. don't pick pkmn stadium against fox. He kills very easily off the top)

616: It was really nice playing you. We should play some more since u live really close. Just some advice, try to stick with one character for now and learn that character really well. I think you went like 3-4 different characters against me in the span of like 5 matches lol.

ATEM: Dude where were u hiding lol. I didn't even know you went to Uchicago. U should come to pierce/tufts more often so we can train

over9000: SO MANY BUTTONS. CLICKING OVER 9000 BUTTONS. But yea, all seriousness aside, ur fox was pretty impressive. i still disagree with you abt the chain grabbing thing tho :p

Leacero: team double fox = two times too many buttons haha. ur fox was really fast and technical. I gotta learn how to play like that.

Dan: Sry i had to send you to losers bracket really early :(. But keep playing. I noticed ur marth got considerably better in the span of 30minutes we played. Just gotta get those little tricks down with marth and it'll be pretty good (wd onto stage, pivot grab, short hop double fair, etc etc)

other uchicago ppl: too lazy to think of shoutouts. Let's just play more this week LOL

metroid1117

Smash Master
@ORLY: What's the date of the next Smashing Grounds? We want to try to get something going at NU in November if we're not too busy with school work before Thanksgiving.

I was going to wait until a formal thread to post shout-outs, but w/e :p.

Over9000: For some reason the tourney matches are always closer than our friendlies lol. Great games, congratulations on winning! I'll get you someday :p.

Eric: Great games man, your Falco got a lot better since this summer! Sorry for playing so obnoxiously, but your recovery is soooooooooooooooooo bad >.>. To avoid getting gimped, I've seen some spacies in general mix up their recovery by doing a slight shine stall before jumping up with a side+B. Matt was also getting around it by jumping and up+B'ing to auto sweetspot, I hadn't seen that before tbh. Your Doc is legit, you should definitely continue playing with him!

Leacero: Great games, same thing as Matt with you - I always feel that the tourney matches are closer than our friendlies haha. I'm surprised I managed to pull it back against Captain Fox on his ship :p.

Zimo: Falcon dittos after the tournament were a lot of fun, we did some silly things to each other :p. As Justin said, I think you go for knees and DAirs a little too much; try to force more openings with spaced NAirs and you'll be fine!

Justin: Yeah... I personally don't like Marth dittos, but it's a match-up that I'm really familiar with after playing friends back home >.>. It's sort of a frustrating match-up because Marth spaces himself out really well, you have to bait your opponent to screw up before you can do anything to him. Hitting Marths out of combos works better than trying to jump out because non-tipped attacks don't have a lot of hitstun and Marth without a jump is just combo food =/. Keep working on it though, your Marth punishes well!

Adam: I don't think we ever got to play in singles, but was great to see you again and play you and Ryan in doubles! I have to get in some games against your Luigi next time, it looked fun to play against.

Atem: It was good seeing you again, I think you went to the NU tournament but I didn't remember at that moment >.>. It was fun playing Falcon friendlies with you after the tournament - FSmash less and use more lasers, then you'll be set :D.

Dondon: I'm glad you came, it was great to have you as a partner! I'll go Marth more often when we team, I feel like we work better that way anyway.

Dan: You're getting better man, it's great to see your enthusiasm for Melee! Keep it up and you'll be taking sets soon! Try to get Kevin and your other friend to show up more :p.

Spoon~: It was great meeting you and talking to another P:M follower! I'm envious that you got to play it at The Big House, I need to play the alpha sometime!

Joey: I have a lot of experience with the Peach match-up, I don't think you were that comfortable with the match-up though =/. Good games though, it was great to see that we attracted more players than just NU and UC!

To anyone I played but didn't mention: Sorry, I don't recall everybody's name and character =/. Good games though, I had a lot of fun at this tournament and you guys helped make it happen!

One last shout-out to Eric for putting this tournament together and Justin for recording matches - both of you guys made it a very memorable experience and it was a very legit touch! Thanks a lot for your hard work!

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to everyone for showing up and making this tournament a success! Admittedly, we could have used more TVs and I could have organized better, but I'd say this was pretty good for a first shot. Shoutouts to everyone who traveled an hour or two to show up.

Also, I decided to call these "NO RULES" from now on. 'Cause that's a way cooler name.
But there will be rules.

Singles Bracket below. Doubles Bracket was deleted by accident.

ORLY

Smash Master
@metroid: i've scheduled the next one for the saturday after thanksgiving

everyone should be on break from school and able to come, so i'm expecting a nice turnout

why don't you guys bring a carpool

kevo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. The 22nd best player in Minnesota is bringing it down there and showing these Chicago people how it's done.:awesome:

HAR HAR HAR

Top Bottom