• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UBC-Overture 4-Vancouver, BC-Dec19th 2009: Street Fighter 4, Melee, Brawl

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
Overture - Vancouver, BC -
UBC Competitive Video Gaming Association presents...

Overture '09 - Continuity - SSBB + SSBM + SF4 + Tournament

Timeline: Subject to Updating

* 11:00 am to 1:00 pm - CVGA Execs setup / Lunch Break / Casuals
* 12:00 pm to 12:30 pm - Break and Casuals; Brawl Doubles Registration;
* 12:30 pm to 2:00 pm - Brawl doubles Tournament
* 2:00 pm to 2:30 pm - Brawl Singles Registration, SFIV 3v3 Registration
* 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm - Brawl Singles Tournament, SFIV 3v3 Tournament
* 4:00 pm to 4:30 pm - Melee Doubles Registration, SFIV Singles Registration
* 4:30 pm to 7:00pm - Melee Double Tournament, SFIV singles Tournament
* 7:00 pm to 7:30 pm - Dinner Break, Melee Singles Registration
* 7:30pm to 10:00pm - Melee Singles Tournament
* 10:00pm to whenever - Casuals + FML i need to clean up

*tentatively at 9:30pm we may have a short N64 tournament, or wherever i can fit one in.

These times are yet to be confirmed but the room has been booked.

* Cover Fee: (venue fee) clarification

1. $15 for people that show up at the door and are not members (eg. not confirmed on my list, this wasn't up before because this wouldn't really apply to anyone who can see it unless your stupid :D)
2. $10 at the door for members not confirmed on the list / non-members that are confirmed on the list
3. $5 for pre-registered members

(for smash)
* Singles Fee - $15 per person
* Doubles Fee - $20 per team

(for SFIV)
* Singles Fee - $10
* possible 3v3 if we have enough teams - $15/team

Division of the Pot:
UPDATED
Tournaments with 2-4 contestants: (max 4-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 100%

Tournaments with 5-16 contestants: (max 16-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 70%
* 2nd Place - 30%

Tournaments with 17-32 contestants: (max 32-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 60%
* 2nd Place - 30%
* 3rd Place - 10%

Tournaments with 33-64 contestants: (max 64-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 50%
* 2nd Place - 25%
* 3rd Place - 15%
* 4th Place - 10%

Tournaments with 65-128 contestants: (max 128-man bracket)
* 1st Place - 45%
* 2nd Place - 20%
* 3rd Place - 15%
* 4th Place - 10%
* 5th Place x2 - 5%

o Applies to all tournaments.
*Exception is when there are less than 10 participants in which case 3rd will get their money back and the remainder will be split into thirds; 2/3 going to first, 1/3 going to second*
*In the event that 3rd would make more than 2nd, 3rd will not be paid at all*

Rules and Format:

SSBM Singles
Bracket: Double elimination + round robin (1 round of pools; number of games per set will be set accordingly) for seeding
Stock: 4
Time limit: 8 minutes (10 for semi-finals and finals)
Rounds: Best 2/3 matches, best out of 5 in the Finals (losers/winners/grand)
Neutral (random) stages: Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Kirby 64 (Dreamland)
Banned stages: Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Great Bay, Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mt, Big Blue. All other stages allowed for counter-picks
Banned stages may be selected for counter-picks if both players agree
Each player is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick

SSBM Doubles
Bracket: Double elimination (may be seeded by round robin)
Stock: 4
Time limit: 8 minutes (10 for semi-finals and finals)
Rounds: Best 2/3 matches, best out of 5 in the Finals (losers/winners/grand)
Neutral (random) stages: Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Kirby 64 (Dreamland)
Banned stages: Fountain of Dreams (due to lag), Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Great Bay, Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mt, Big Blue. All other stages allowed for counter-picks
Team attack: ON
Life-stealing allowed
Banned stages may be selected for counter-picks if all players agree.
Each team is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick

SSBB Singles
Bracket: Double elimination (possibly seeded by pools)
Stock: 3
Time limit: 7 minutes
Rounds: Best of 3, best of 5 in finals
Neutral stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island
Counterpick stages: Lylat Cruise, Delphino Plaza, Castle Siege, Pictochat, Norfair, Jungle Japes, Rainbow Cruise, Green Greens*, Brinstar, Pokemon Stadium 1
Banned stages: everything else (unless both players agree to play on a banned stage)
Each player is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick
* may be banned

SSBB Doubles
Bracket: Double elimination
Stock: 3
Time limit: 7 minutes
Rounds: Best of 3, best of 5 in finals
Stages: see SSBB singles
Team attack: ON
Each team is allowed to ban ONE stage for the duration of that set, and cannot be selected either by random select or counter-pick

Yea i totally just copy and pasted someone :p

Contact information:
brianchan89@hotmail.com
604-961-3873

Notes:
* Our Second SSBB tournament; however, we're used to running various fighting-game tournaments. This tournament we will be trying to incorporate a melee tournament as well since there is a lot of demand for this
* There will be approximately 8 setups (mixed wii's/Cubes). Recording setups may or not be present (if you have any experience with recording please contact us)
* To emphasize we want more than JUST 4 setups for each tournament. Bring a set up if you can!
* As per SBR rules, players are responsible for their own controllers.

Players Attending:
1)TwilightShadow
2)AsaDelta
3)~Firefly~
4)Blunted_object10
5)ikool
6)LFL
7)jordexciu
8)Sesshomuronay
9)rustedfencepost
10)iConic
11)Breez
12)

3v3 teams:

People looking to join teams:
1)

Equipment: (Bring what you can!!!)

CVGA: 6 TV's + 4 Wii's, 2 Cubes, 1 360, 3 copies Brawl, 2 copies Melee, 2 copies SFIV, PS3
TwilightShadow: 1 copy melee, 1 copy Street Fighter 4

Street Fighter IV Tournament:

1. Rules: (Not at all official i just made em up)
2. Double elimination
3. each match will be to best of 3 rounds and each set will be best of 3 matches. Winners finals, Losers Finals and Grand Finals will all be best of 3 rounds per match and best of 5 matches per set
4. If a player pauses during a round, he will lose that round (not the match)
5. If a player pauses during the same set twice, they will forfeit the match.
6. In the event of a D.K.O in the final round, an additional match (best of 1) will be played to determine the winner, super bars will be set at 0.

3v3's
1. Each team must consist of at least 2 different characters, eg. no A(Sagat), B(Sagat), C(Sagat) vs D(Ryu), E(Ryu), F(Ryu)
2. Each individual player is knocked out once he/she loses 1 match, and the next teammate will step in until one team defeats the other team's 3 players
3. Ordering of teams will be written for the first players of each team at the beginning of the matchup, when the first match is over, the team that lost the first match can send either of their remaining 2 players.
4. Once a character has been picked for that set it cannot be changed. (important for counter picking reasons)
5. All other rules are analogous to the Single player tournament

Asa

Smash Hero
Sign me up.

Brian, if we do doubles we're gonna have to practice or something lol. There's also a tourney this saturday at mission. Do you want to go?

ikool

Smash Apprentice
I may attend depending on what time in January... With the date so far ahead, I gotta make sure I keep my schedule clean this time!

BRAWL DOUBLES N SINGLES!!!

Edit: If possible, could we get a live stream or even a video capture device at this tournament? It would have been great to save some of the matches from the last tournament for future viewing.

unityole

Smash Lord
final + venue fee too high + long travel time + no 64

no way i would make it to this nor i would be going to it

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
Yikes, right in the mess of finals. Then again, any later in December and you hit Christmas -_-

I might come, don't put me down yet though.

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
yea, i'm hoping for there to be at least 20 people from the smash community because if we don't get that i'm going to need to come up with a good reason why we should be holding tournaments for smash when i talk to the financial officer of the club.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
...If the amount of people attending is enough of an issue that you actually have to bring it up with the financial officer, why would you host it during a time when it's really obvious a lot of people wouldn't be able to attend? <_<;;;

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
...If the amount of people attending is enough of an issue that you actually have to bring it up with the financial officer, why would you host it during a time when it's really obvious a lot of people wouldn't be able to attend? <_<;;;
according to the stats, Smash isn't pulling its own weight so their tournaments are subject to when the SF people want to have their tournament, apparently 2 of the top players in BC will be gone early january so they asked to move it earlier,

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
wtf, i didn't even know about this tournament until just now. put me in anyways.

it also seems kind of abrupt due to the tournament being just about a month ago.
is it a good idea to host tournaments so near each other? and i looked through the thread, a lot of people are bailing because of the date. it's gg from here on out.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
wtf, i didn't even know about this tournament until just now. put me in anyways.

it also seems kind of abrupt due to the tournament being just about a month ago.
is it a good idea to host tournaments so near each other? and i looked through the thread, a lot of people are bailing because of the date. it's gg from here on out.
It's gg because I'm going and winning everything! ;)

Top Bottom