• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uair Help.

Ritter7124

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I've been playing falcon for somewhat a long time and I really love the character. I can do basically all the combos captain falcon has to offer and can do custom combos based on situations, BUT I can not get his uair combo down and it is really bugging me I can get the uair fastfall into l cancel (no sh because they are to high) and try to string it together but I can not do it. The only combo I have done with uair was uair->knee but that was only once but I couldn't feel a difference when I completed it I think I just read his jump. Do I need to hit them with the toes or something because I'm getting frustrated with it and any feedback from PM bros would help a ton!!

thanks

RevengeOfTheStyle

Smash Rookie
Definitely experiment with your spacing and be cognizant of their percent. I find it a lot easier to start Uair combos when my foe is in the 30-40% area. Also I've been starting some custom combos with the falling uair. I'm just throwing some thoughts out there, I'm a Falcon novice. Best of luck!

Ritter7124

Smash Rookie
thanks for feedback... I feel like pm captain falcon is dead. unless its about move set change.

Blazing Ambition

Smash Journeyman
If you're making the transition from melee to PM, I can see where you're coming from. The PM up-air definitely sends people off at a more horizontal angle than in melee, making extended juggles MUCH harder, especially on fast fallers. Nair still works fine, but I feel uair really shines when used against the floatier members of the cast. If you REALLY want those juggles. a series of nairs and or using the reverse hitbox on bair can easily lead to a knee.

Ritter7124

Smash Rookie
Hey thanks I really appreciate it. I actually started in PM i've played a little of melee falcon but I really like the melee juggles and I want to make them into my pm game but I just couldn't get it So I went on melee boards they say to use uair very low to the ground to juggle them.

Mystic-

Smash Apprentice
Yea the lower to the ground the better but it's also important to learn spacing on uair to know exactly where it'll send them. That's also situationally useful as an edgeguard (although that's more of a Ganon thing generally). But yea, spacing on uair hella important

Garr

Smash Apprentice
Uair connects better into more juggles or a finisher if you space it when you're RIGHT below them. That way, you have less horizontal distance to travel, and it's make it so much easier to land a knee.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The two tricks to getting the max out of Uair, are to try and keep your full running momentum (if you only have normal jump air momentum when you Uair, people can DI away and generally get away), and to land the Uair at a good position. The best positions are rising Uair (move is active and then ends near your full hop peak), or low to the ground Uair (so that you can L-cancel and immediately run for a follow up).

I would not get too hung up on multiple Uairs, as doing too many usually allows smart opponents to "combo DI" away to escape even with good Uair timings. If a platform is nearby, you might want to rise with Nair and land on it, then go for a follow up? If they are getting close to the edge, you might want a knee instead, etc. Multiple Uairs are not bad per se, but are usually only helpful on specific weight/floaty classes, medium %'s, and/or inward DI choices. I would get used to running Full hop Uair, into DJ knee, or other combinations to keep Multi-Uairs a fresh mixup.

Onisser

Smash Rookie
You'll want to make sure to get the maximum range you can from your upair. You also need to make sure not to reverse the hitbox and send them the wrong way for stringing them together. Another factor is the character's weight. Floatier characters like Marth and Sheik can be chain U-Aired if you are fast enough.

Top Bottom