• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

U-tilt as an anti-air?

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Hello fellow Mega Man players! So, as i'm sure that you have experienced at some point with playing Mega Man, he has a pretty noticeable weakness in all of his projectiles; they all travel linearly and don't cover the blind spot in front of and slightly above the blue bomber. This usually allows characters with burst options/ strong aerials (i.e Monkey Flip kick/ Diddy's F-air, Bouncing Fish, Falcon b-air) to get in by hitting through pellets and blowing any attempts at Mega Man zoning. U-smash would be great if it wasn't directly above Mega Man and if trading hits with U-smash wasn't so bad. Even though you can obviously jump with pellets, there are some instances where there's no more room to jump back, or where you're not in position to hit with pellets. Even MB fails to do much against certain aerials that have large/meaty disjoints and/or hitboxes.

So, what do you guys think about using u-tilt's sour spot as answer to Mega Man's blind spot? What are some situations that you can think of where u-tilt's sour spot may be a decent answer?

- u-tilt still retains a high amount of priority, even on the sour spot
- u-tilt is a really meaty move; it's pretty good at trading with most character's aerials while also dishing out a nice 12%. -- On top of that, the sour spot is usually enough to kill most characters around 150%.

Of course, I'm well aware of u tilt having a rather long recovery while also being rather punishable on hit below 30% or so. However, I do think that u-tilt's applications have the potential to extend slightly above one of Mega Man's strongest punishing tools. This isn't a perfect option to cover his blind spot, and I would love to hear other ways to cover it.

So, thoughts and opinions please? :)

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
While I think it is certainly an anti-air option due to the priority, I wouldn't use it unless really needed. Reason being is aside from it's long cooldown, you probably shouldn't stale one of your essential kill moves. Though, I suppose you might have time to refresh it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
While I think it is certainly an anti-air option due to the priority, I wouldn't use it unless really needed. Reason being is aside from it's long cooldown, you probably shouldn't stale one of your essential kill moves. Though, I suppose you might have time to refresh it.
With all the stale lemons Mega Man fires, I think keeping his kill moves fresh is no problem for him.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
if your opponent is doing a smash attack you cant get behind him and use U tilt . But the prob with U tilt is that it haves a lot of End Lag so its very punishable if you miss it. Great kill move but A lot of lag and Very punishable. It can Kill light Char's around 100% maybe even 80%! (but thats just me)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Lemons stale? O_o
Details?
All moves stale (lose damage/knockback) the more they're used repeatedly.
By using buster shots along with other things like crash bombers and metal blades his other,
more powerful stay fresh and powerful.

Deadlybroth

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rngo1214
3DS FC
3265-5101-5866
All moves stale (lose damage/knockback) the more they're used repeatedly.
By using buster shots along with other things like crash bombers and metal blades his other,
more powerful stay fresh and powerful.
I meant as in does it stale after a 3 shot burst, or after every shot? I also thought that item-spawning moves didn't enter the stale list.

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
Things better than utilt when someone is in the air and just in front of you.
Metal Blade Diagonally.
Pivot and short hop Bair.
Short Hop and Nair.
Short Hop Fair.
Shield and Grab.
Shield and Usmash.
Run under and Usmash.
And if they have any decent distance above you short hop fast fall uair.

It's not a blind spot. Utilt is for punishing someone on the ground who whiffs a move, or for a read punish. Or, if they get hit from diagonal downward metal blade and you fast fall to utilt. You could hit someone in the air with it, but it would be easier to hit with usmash.

On stale moves
Even when moves decay they still have most of the knock back. There is also rage that comes into play. Stale moves are nothing to worry about in this game.

Top Bottom