• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tyr's Lucas - Seasons' Beatings III

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Some guys video taped my Lucas so I thought I'd let you all watch. T-800 was my first match of the tournament so I was really nervous. Virt was the first Olimar I've ever played lol. Good games all around though. Hopefully my friend will get some vids of a few casuals I did that I can put up too.

I got 9th out of 76
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=200258
Only used Lucas

VS. T-800
(a short study on how to throw out random smash attacks and get them to hit lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MIuE8VfkSA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sMwDJjYMqE&feature=related

VS. Virt
(Olimar gets gimped)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB-7kakyIDs

Please ignore the numerous missed autocancels, failed thunderslides, general spacing failures etc. I was nervous and also sick the entire day. Fun as hell though.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
finally some videos of your Lucas ^^
looks like you have read all the manual of "how to use Lucas"
you are more of a dairer and not a nairer
i was expecting more jabs and tilts, and not those random smashes
you are really good at gimping
and the second fight, at the metroid stage, answered me why it is a counterpick for Lucas :)

Marceux

Smash Journeyman
Lots of thundersliding on Yoshi's Island. I liked the Thunderslide to PK Fire on Brinstar. That was pretty nuts and caught me off guard. That was great for that situation but under similar circumstances could you have thunderslided to nair or fair?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I usually Uair after a ledgecancelled thunderslide if they're close since it comes out fast and will autocancel.

My matches versus that ROB player were really bad. I was really nervous and didn't play as intelligently as I usually do. I was disappointed in general with my playing at Season's Beatings. Most of my good matches didn't get recorded and I had some really bad ones later in the day because I had an awful headache.

Brinstar is epic as a counterpick.

Noraa

Smash Lord
Tyr nice lucas man. I love how you use battlefield.
one thing to help with olimar, nair is better than dair against him.
Nair keeps his pikmin scattered leaving him open and it gets the pikmin off the easiest.

(i main olimar too =/ just some advice to make the match up easier)

Irsic

Smash Ace
My only beef with the Rob matches was that when you get a hold of his gyro, try to keep it in the air, rather than just throwing it right back to him. It's his best projectile, and the longer it stays in the air the less he can use it. Other than that, awesome gimp on Smashville. Proceeding to watching the rest of the matches now.

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
My only beef with the Rob matches was that when you get a hold of his gyro, try to keep it in the air, rather than just throwing it right back to him. It's his best projectile, and the longer it stays in the air the less he can use it. Other than that, awesome gimp on Smashville. Proceeding to watching the rest of the matches now.
you know he can catch it in the air right? :psycho:

Marceux

Smash Journeyman
Why the need? If it's working why change it up, is all I'm saying. I'm sure you do what's best for you TechnoMonster.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
You can play faster than that.
Playing fast=/=Playing well. It is possible to play fast and play well, but the oppisite is also true-you can play fast and not play well.

Against characters like GaW, you need to play a lot more defensive than usual, since he has such an advantage over you.

That being said, I'm hopefully going to a tournament on the 1st, where I might just get some of my matches recorded.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I'm a camper. I actually played much more aggressively in general that day which I think cost me a lot. I was overly aggressive when I shouldn't have been. Camping works for me and for many people in Brawl. What's the point in playing "faster" if it doesn't help me win? I wish I had better videos that show my playstyle better. I need to work on adjusting to new players more.

Marceux

Smash Journeyman
Build up tourney experience Tyr. Right now you're really good with just the knowledge you got.

Edit:

How'd you do against Gatches, Marths, or MKs (Lucas Hardest Match-Ups for Me)

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Do you choose Brinstar for cancelling out your down smash on the stage break? If so, great idea. :)

S.D

Smash Master
Tyr, you've got a good Lucas and it's clear you know what you're doing. My only advice would be that just because you know all the tricks, doesn't mean you should spam them pointlessly. For example the first match vs Rob you overused the thunderslide. It worked the first time then it was blocked every time from then on. Use it sparingly as a surprise tactic and you'll achieve more success with it. Similarly you used the edge PK thunder when the opponent was spaced too far away to be hit by it. It kinda shows your hand and alerts them to the fact that you have that in your arsenal when you're on the ledge. Also you don't have to ledgehop every time you're on the edge, vary your recovery a little :p

There was some really nice stuff in there and well done on your result on the day and you'll be a real force with a bit more tournament experience.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Good Brinstar play. For some reason you didn't like using PKT to gimp? Any special reason for that? I thought it would have worked fantastically against ROB.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
He might have just been fixated on something else. I know that I tend to forget about some of my options unless I actually take the time to realize that hey, I can do something else to mix it up a bit.

I wish there was a real competitive scene in Louisiana...I want to know how I compare to someone skilled. ;_;

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
PKT1 is boring for gimping so I tend not to use it. I just don't like to. Plus people learn how to avoid it really fast.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Halloween Smash at my house tomorrow? I need training for FBT in November and I may not have chances to play in the next few weeks

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
PKT1 is boring for gimping so I tend not to use it. I just don't like to. Plus people learn how to avoid it really fast.
If you do it properly, they should be unable to avoid it, depending on the character.

And who cares if an attack is 'boring' dude? The Whorenado is boring as hell but it gets the job done.

Top Bottom