• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tyr's Lucas Player's Guide

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Only the last hit of Lucas's Nair beats Falco's side B except at the end. And Dair you have to time the sparks which I find really difficult unless the Falco player is being extremely obvious with his recovery in which case there are better things you can do anyway.

You have to angle PKT1 so that he hits the side of the head or so that he hits the tail and then loop it back around. Falco's side B I think has varying priority depending on the timing in the attack. I think the beginning has higher priority and it gets lower as it goes. Haven't tested to be sure though. Because of this theory, I set PKT1 so that he has to run into it rather than sending it to hit him directly unless I know I can get it to hit before he starts his side B.

heytallman

CTALL
IDK if anyone's said this, but Norfair would be a good stage to CP Falco, IMO. He can't CG you much there, and you can plank easily here. Also he can't really effectively camp (but when can he ever vs Lucas?)

c3gill

Smash Ace
im sorry i didnt get to posting this when the G&W discussion was up, but filling his bucket can be almost good for Lucas.

Once his bucket is filled, he can no longer absorb PK Fires or Freezes, and compared to before (when his bucket was empty), you will be free to spam projectiles @ him during his approaches.

Yes it can be dangerous, because Oil Panic hurts like a *****- but it is generally somewhat predictable and can be shielded.

I am only bringing this up as an option because it has worked for me in matches, and G&W players will be caught off-guard when you are seemingly filling their bucket for free- but if you feel comfortable with the match-up and know his options, it could be worth trying.

as for Falco, the only things that scare me are his beautiful CG at early percentages and his U-Smash kills. F-smash is too slow and laggy to see much use in singles, IMO- but I can never seem to get the hang of predicting running U-smashs when I am Lucas against any decent Falco :ohwell: . and his D-smash is crappy.

edit- agree with Tallman. Norfair ftw vs Falco.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Can we get this thread started again... this would be great if we could get it running again

Should we start back with DDD? or just someone you know to bring back this thread

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Umm yeah I probably should. I've been really busy with tournaments and stuff.

I can do Olimar, I just have to sit down and write it all out.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I really couldn't care less if the Lucas boards "die." Most of the threads here are pointless and most of the things that are most helpful for me to share are too awkward to explain without showing.

I'll probably work on it after this weekend unless I get really bored tonight.

In other news, I now think Game and Watch is an even matchup for Lucas.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Serious? Did you find something new to use against him or something?

And what I meant by die, is the character match-ups / tips.

Luur3

Smash Journeyman
I can see the G&W matchup dropping a bit. I've seen a few ways to keep G&W from pulling out his annoying tools like his Bair

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Can someone explain to me how PKT2's priority works? For me there have been cases where it beats Lucario's fully charged aura sphere at 150% and also cases where an uncharged sphere at 0% can beat it.

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
a. Dair Combo (ground)
Dair can be used to combo when used from a full hop and fast falled. The aim is to hit with atleast hits 3 and 4 which will cause the opponent to be knocked to the ground. At percentages under the mid seventies (average without stale moves) this combos into jabs, Ftilt, Utilt, SHFF Nair, or SHFF Uair. Above the mid seventies, this will knock them on their back and combos into Dtilt (lock) or Fsmash. This is an essential combo for Lucas. This combo is stopped if the opponent techs to the side or DIs to the side.
Ok so quick question that has been bugging me, in order for dair to combo into other moves (under mid 70's) at what time should dair be used during the full hop and when should it be fast falled (before or during the dair?)

I have been trying out a bunch of stuff just so I don't get too rusty and I seem to land with tons of lag while trying to combo moves out of dair

clowsui

Smash Legend
jump and flick down on the cstick as soon as you your finger gets off the x/y button, you could even use a down too iirc

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Actually it doesn't have to be quickly after you jump at all. You can initiate Dair at anytime before the peak of your full hop and land with an autocancel. When you fast fall is just something you have to get a feel for. The move autocancels shortly after the 4th hitbox comes out.

Notra

Smash Ace
Trust tiers falco advice. i dont rly know the match up. but i know now that ima use my snake rather than falco vs lucas cause of playing him.

Tier is pro vs falco

ggs btw

clowsui

Smash Legend
notra beating him is pretty simple ;)

jk i actually haven't fought tyr in tourney in AGES...but i know how to beat lucas so w/e

Brahmin

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm posting for a friend.

We're going to a Smash Bros. tournament tomorrow and our main competition is a Falco who overuses dodge-rolling.

My friend would love to know a good way to punish him, hes already got a natural talent for punishing, and I'm sure he'd be able to pick up punishing dodge-roll abuse incredibly quickly.

Edit: Just to clarify, he does use Lucas. >.>

Pi-Nerd

Smash Rookie
Zap Jump with other specials?

5. Zap Jumping
Double jump and PK Fire at about the same time for a very high jump and PK Fire. Mostly useful for recovery. Again the lag on the end of it makes it difficult to use for regular movement.
I noticed that for Zap Jumping, you only list PK Fire. Before I learned about any of these ATs, I was (and still am) playing Brawl at school as a club. Not many people there are good, since all the good players play Melee, so nobody uses any ATs. One time at the beginning of the Brawl, I decided to do something stupid, so I double jumped and PKT2 straight up. This would be a completely irrelevant post, except that once I hit B, Lucas shot up so the thunder was coming from beneath him going up. If the Zap Jump is supposed to give height, I think this may be even more useful if we can figure out the timing. So far I have not been able to reproduce this, but I have also not been able to do a normal Zap Jump. Perhaps the timing will be the same, in which case this would be easy to test, but all I know is that it is possible.

KoozyK

Smash Ace
I noticed that for Zap Jumping, you only list PK Fire. Before I learned about any of these ATs, I was (and still am) playing Brawl at school as a club. Not many people there are good, since all the good players play Melee, so nobody uses any ATs. One time at the beginning of the Brawl, I decided to do something stupid, so I double jumped and PKT2 straight up. This would be a completely irrelevant post, except that once I hit B, Lucas shot up so the thunder was coming from beneath him going up. If the Zap Jump is supposed to give height, I think this may be even more useful if we can figure out the timing. So far I have not been able to reproduce this, but I have also not been able to do a normal Zap Jump. Perhaps the timing will be the same, in which case this would be easy to test, but all I know is that it is possible.
i like the new kid, he uses his mind.
and i like the fact im no long the Guss of the lucas boards

NL, I don't think Tyr is working on this anymore. lol
yea i noticed that too

Pi-Nerd

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately, my SSBB disk is crashing a lot, so I am having trouble working out the timing for Zap Jump. Once I do that, I'll work on Thunder Zap Jump. I wonder why it is called Zap Jump if it uses PK Fire, when I would think Zap should refer to PK Thunder.

EDIT: I have ordered a new disk, since the old one can no longer be read by my Wii. I should allow one business day for processing the order and another one for shipping. I'll try to get the timing down for Zap Jump on Tuesday.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
zap jumping is a function of lucas's double jump being interrupted by either using PK fire or throwing an item. to the best of my knowledge, you cannot zap jump with other B moves including his PK thunder. something like what you described more likely happened because a move like Game and Watch's Uair or Up B was used and it moved Lucas up. I've seen something very similar to what you've described caused by G and W's Uair a few times.

some dude named it zap jump when it was first discovered and the name stuck.

I'm really too lazy to update this much anymore. maybe with summer i'll do more.

pockeystick

Smash Apprentice
Im considering to rebuy brawl today cuz Lucas is arguably one of my favorite characters in the game. My favorite technique is magnet pulling, its such a cool way to recover

Top Bottom