• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Two possibly new advanced techniques

jaedong

Smash Journeyman
And they both involve withdraw.

The first one is super good, and I've only just now realized it. Chances are someone has figured this out by now, because it's just too good not to know about. But to those who haven't here ya go- you're effin welcome.

1) Aerial reverse withdraw attack to ledge hog!

So this is one of the fastest ways to get to the ledge when you are far away from it. Let's say you hit you're opponent across the screen and he is returning back to the stage. Naturally, you want to take the ledge, versus a lot of characters because it limits their recovery options. So what you do is forward B towards the ledge, and then press away (from the ledge) and A. This will cause squirtle to blast out of his shell facing in towards the stage. If performed well, it will give you the ledge extremely fast, and with a little practice, it takes very little effort.

2) Withdraw attack edgeguard!

This one I actually performed by accident. It's pretty useful against anyone who is trying to sweetspot the ledge (think marth) with their Up B and they have an attack protecting them.

So what you do is withdraw toward the ledge. Now just as you are starting to get towards the ledge, you hit away (from the ledge) as if to turn around, but because you are too close to the ledge already, will start your turn around animation and not actually finish it, which will cause you to go off stage. Because you have started you're turn around animation, now when you hit A you will use the withdraw attack and it sends you flying back on stage. The hitbox will hit the opponent trying to sweetspot, and the armor of the withdraw will protect you from most Up b attacks (like marth). Be wary however, because if mistimed, you will end off the level and down to your doom.

So there you have it. The first technique is super duper practical and can be used vs just about anyone at least a few times a match, whereas the second is pretty matchup specific with situational use, yet useful none the less

Feel free to post hateful messages now, and I won't respond. Enjoy!

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I was aware of the first tech, and the first half of the second, but neither of these are very widely known or used. I knew you could drop offstage in the middle of turning around, but I didn't make the connection that this would allow you to reverse your aquajet momentum. Me and my friend were looking for a fast aquajet edgeguard setup like this, very nice find.

Last edited:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
I've gone offstage on accident with the side b before, but I never thought about the edgeguard aspect of it. As for the first tech you described, it still seems slower to me than just rar wavedashing to the ledge, but I have had fun doing it up high to grab the ledge more stylishly against some people lol.

Good find though!

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Yeah the Squirtle board basically doesn't exist. It seems like it's usually just Burnsy and Zwarm talking to each other lol.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
And they both involve withdraw.

The first one is super good, and I've only just now realized it. Chances are someone has figured this out by now, because it's just too good not to know about. But to those who haven't here ya go- you're effin welcome.

1) Aerial reverse withdraw attack to ledge hog!

So this is one of the fastest ways to get to the ledge when you are far away from it. Let's say you hit you're opponent across the screen and he is returning back to the stage. Naturally, you want to take the ledge, versus a lot of characters because it limits their recovery options. So what you do is forward B towards the ledge, and then press away (from the ledge) and A. This will cause squirtle to blast out of his shell facing in towards the stage. If performed well, it will give you the ledge extremely fast, and with a little practice, it takes very little effort.
shorthop shellsling and back-wavedash out of pivot are both faster than withdraw. actually if you time a hydroplaned f-smash perfectly it's really fast as well.
Sorry about the lack of hate :p

jaedong

Smash Journeyman
shorthop shellsling and back-wavedash out of pivot are both faster than withdraw. actually if you time a hydroplaned f-smash perfectly it's really fast as well.
Sorry about the lack of hate :p

touche, but i think this still has its uses. if nothing else its far simpler

and you didnt mention anything about the second tech

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
touche, but i think this still has its uses. if nothing else its far simpler

and you didnt mention anything about the second tech
wow, fishing for validation are we :p ? I didn't mention the second because it's def useful. However in my style of play I just prefer to edgehog people who are trying to sweetspot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom