• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Two Mains

Gaudeo

Smash Cadet
I think in a competitive setting like a tournament you want to be playing a small number of characters as well as you possibly can. One or two is ideal, unless you need more to cover some really bad match ups. However when you're starting out or even just practicing, playing with as many as possible is a good idea. It shores up your fundamentals and gives you more insight into how a character is played, which helps you out a lot when you're playing against them.
I main Ike when I play at an event, and for a while just before that (to get my skills back up to snuff), but any other time I main the Random Button. It's helped me with a lot of match ups I had problems with.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
It's not noobish, then you have a variety of playstyles for any given situation. I have about 3-5 mains personally, because I get bored with using Zelda over and over and over and over, it's fun and better IMO to have a couple people your comfortable with

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Imo.... 1-2 (possibly 3) mains is ideal, and the rest can probably be considered secondaries.....

Personally, I always end up using Pikachu more than any other character. It's been that way since 64, and it works out just fine for me. I only need a CP for one character (Marth) in Brawl anyway.... I was lucky in that Pika has pretty much neutral matchups across the board except for MK and Marth. And he does pretty well against MK compared to other characters.

I do think a second main can be helpful for switching up your style, though. Sometimes I go Zelda just to throw off my opponent since she plays a lot differently than the rat.

Ozone.

Smash Rookie
O yea I forgot, ninjalink can also have has many mains as he wants to claim along with azen.

RATED

Smash Lord
maining 2 characters is awesome , really I main ddd and snake. I am "training" them by equal ratio of practice. if u could main everyone u would like to main would be awesome but that's equal to more time and effort , if u have the time to do that so do it. I am thinking to get another main and continue with 3 or staying with only 2, I am thinking of falco or GaW if anyone could help me in this I would be pleased?

Kage Me

Smash Ace
2 mains is not n00bish...
its like having two machine guns...
3 is too much...
you can't hold 3 machine guns and use them effectively.
That's the worst analogy ever. When you main three characters, it's more like having three machine guns in your possession, and using one at a time. Doesn't mean you can't shoot with all of them.

Come on, I main six characters efficiently... Eight if you consider Pokémon Trainer as three characters. Three is definitely possible. Then again, some of my mains are extremely easy to pick up - Lucario, primarily.

Dins_Fire

Smash Rookie
To be brutally honest, if you can't use the whole roster to a fairly good degree, then you need some serious work on your game.

I think 3 mains is the most average figure.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Having more than 1 main (secondaries) is the best choice you can take before hitting the competitive scene. HOWEVER! There IS such a thing as "too many for me", and I found out that 3 characters do it for me:

Kirby, ZSS, and Snake, in that order.

XaioXang

Smash Rookie
I would never say that having more than one main is noobish. If anything it makes them more "well rounded" and they can counter pick against their opponent. But there really isn't anything wrong with having just one main either, though I prefer to have multiple mains. Also it would not hinder their skill or ability.

Top Bottom