• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twitch Bought for $1 Billion by YouTube

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
If and I mean IF the FCC isn't actually paid off like we all know they are, this wont be allowed as it will give googletube a unfair monopoly on streaming services. I highly doubt this will go anywhere.

If it does, well, prepare for copyright claims, prepare for censorships and corporate appointed moderators. Enjoy.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
I'd be surprised if they were able to get it for as cheap as that; it would be terrible negotiating on Twitch's part when SnapChat got a 3 billion offer not too long ago.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
prepare for 100000000000 ads
prepare for speedrunners to die since most people who speedrun use emulators
prepare for music to not exist because copyright issues
prepare for most games to not exist because copyright issues
prepare for layout changes every week
prepare for Google+ and Facebook integration
prepare to be nagged about Google+ and Facebook integration until you finally do it or ragequit

are your bodies ready
I agree with everything except for emulators. Piracy is never ok.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I agree with everything except for emulators. Piracy is never ok.
What about playing NES games on an emulator that can't be found anywhere else? Or any game on any console that can't be found anywhere else, like Touhou's first 5 games or the original Gameboy games? Or hell, the Virtual Boy if you want to? Or shows and movies which aren't sold anymore because they're very old? Am I going to have to go participate in auctions to buy something I may not like for a buttload of money?

Last edited:

PB&J

Smash Hero
The Content Id System on Youtube is so bad and I hope this doesnt affect streams. Please dont mess this up Google.

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
What a massive bummer... I can already feel the Twitch freedoms depleting.. "This stream is not available for viewing in your country. Sorry about that. [Kappa]".

DeOnde

Smash Cadet
Well, at least it was not Facebook... for real, i hope my soul isn't Google's or Zuckerberg's property by 2025.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I think Joe Vargas says it best here... "You...&%$#ing... Idiots..." Seriously, if this is true... Oh no... Oh no, my friends. I can already see my Pokemon Nuzlocke streams going quickly because I do Nuzlockes of rom hacks like Liquid Crystal or use emulators because of the fact I don't have a Game Boy Player to stream off of.

You dun %&#@ed it up.

D

Deleted member 245254

I'm not sure what what happened or what's going to happen but I'm going to assume this is a bad thing.
"I don't know anything about this subject, but despite that I'm going to guess that's a bad thing"

I truly have to ask, seeing as how this is the most impressively ignorant collection of words I've ever read, if you were being serious with this comment.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
"I don't know anything about this subject, but despite that I'm going to guess that's a bad thing"

I truly have to ask, seeing as how this is the most impressively ignorant collection of words I've ever read, if you were being serious with this comment.
Yes. I was being serious with that comment.

I meant specifically, I don't know what the circunstances to this event were, but based on how acquisitions usually go, that this wouldn't be a good thing.

Do you really have nothing better to do than rudely insult people's comments from hours ago?

D

Deleted member 245254

Yes. I was being serious with that comment.

I meant specifically, I don't know what the circunstances to this event were, but based on how acquisitions usually go, that this wouldn't be a good thing.

Do you really have nothing better to do than rudely insult people's comments from hours ago?
I'm just pointing out that declaring first-hand that you lack any knowledge on a subject and then saying it's a bad thing is ignorant sounding.

If you actually possess fair reasoning for feeling that it could be bad then I have no bone.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm just pointing out that declaring first-hand that you lack any knowledge on a subject and then saying it's a bad thing is ignorant sounding.

If you actually possess fair reasoning for feeling that it could be bad then I have no bone.
It was supposed to sound ignorant. That was the point.

D

Deleted member 245254

It was supposed to sound ignorant. That was the point.
Okay well that's fair.

I guess I personally tend to try keeping my blatant ignorance to myself, but we're all different.

As far as Twitch being bought by YouTube, I don't really see it as being a bad deal unless Twitch is handing off the reigns. Most of the time this happens with a big industry name, the purchased companies still manage to maintain their dignity and individuality.

For example, Blizzard was bought a long time ago, but that hasn't stopped them from producing content on their own. Many will argue that certain decisions are Activision related, but for all intents and purposes Blizzard remains a fierce individual that is void of any observable influence from Mr. Kotick.

Chipotle was bought by Mcdonalds, but Chipotle certainly isn't anything like Mcdonalds to eat at. There are other relevant examples (internet related) but I think you get it.

Unless Twitch is rolling over, I doubt you will honestly notice that much change, in fact my first thoughts on the idea were somewhat positive. I was imagining Twitch > Youtube uploads which would arguably increase viewership to streams by a ton, given YouTube is the most frequented video media website in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
What about playing NES games on an emulator that can't be found anywhere else? Or any game on any console that can't be found anywhere else, like Touhou's first 5 games or the original Gameboy games? Or hell, the Virtual Boy if you want to? Or shows and movies which aren't sold anymore because they're very old? Am I going to have to go participate in auctions to buy something I may not like for a buttload of money?
Well if people only used them for things that were unavailable then it's not stealing the creators profit, but most of the games are available on virtual console and other services.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Well, look at the silver lining. Maybe now all that subscription and advertisement money will go to improving Twitch's servers instead of lining the pockets of people who kinda don't do a whole lot.. or sure don't SEEM to do a whole lot besides basic maintenance to keep the servers running on a basic level.

Dunno, haven't been too thrilled with Twitch lately. I can see this deal going through being Hitbox's big break.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Chipotle was bought by Mcdonalds, but Chipotle certainly isn't anything like Mcdonalds to eat at.
Wrong. McDonald's owned a minority stake in Chipotle, which they sold in 2006. They are entirely unaffiliated now.

Last edited:

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
Do you suppose we are going to get to a point where it gets so user unfriendly that people will give up and move shop?

D

Deleted member 245254

Wrong. McDonald's owned a minority stake in Chipotle, which they sold in 2006. They are entirely unaffiliated now.
Wrong.

Mcdonalds had a a majority stake in Chipotle starting from 1999 (almost 90% vote control).

They are unaffiliated now (since 2006) but that's utterly irrelevant to my point. Chipotle remained chipotle even during those times.

"Chipotle became a subsidiary of McDonald's in 1999 when McDonald's acquired the controlling stake of the company. At one point, McDonald's owned shares accounting for approximately 87% of the voting power of Chipotle's common stock. In Chipotle's earlier stages, McDonald's helped Chipotle's operations by sharing its own distribution networks.

Currently, Mcdonald's no longer has anything to do with Chipotle Mexican Grill. They have divested completely from Chipotle."

Joe Stupp, General Manager, Chipotle.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
It's really bad for us German users because GEMA is going to block everything... they already did so with youtube. Can't watch any live stream on youtube/Germany because of that stupid company.

NinthWonder

Smash Apprentice
Why do these companies always claim to know exactly what's best for us? They're just running in here to make money and take over all means of internet entertainment.

They don't know **** about the Smash community, let alone alone other video game groups.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
i think one billion is no big beal for youtube... the owner of twitch probably thought "whtvr never gonna work anymore lol..."

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
You know, if people HATE youtube so much, why are you all still using it?

If you've got popular content, post it to another site that will appreciate it to show google that you don't support what they are doing. If twitch gets bought out it will suck, but we'll just have to move. It's not fun but those sites will invite popular streamers with open arms and when google sees people flocking away from twitch they'll have to make changes.

This sucks but isn't thee end of thw world everyone is making it out to be.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Looking at the silver lining, maybe the twitch archives won't be so **** anymore with youtube services. Maybe.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
You know, if people HATE youtube so much, why are you all still using it?
'cause every other social media site like it sucks even worse for the same reasons, none of the people we watch on Youtube are fine with leaving or continue to post to Youtube for the extra money even when they are (and their websites suck), and everyone else uses Youtube as a platform to kick off their careers in entertainment for the same reason every up and coming streamer uses Twitch.

It's easier to garner popularity in a place like Twitch, which is in a similar situation to Youtube, 'cause it's got a FAR larger user base, so no matter how obscure your game you're bound to wind up with ten, twenty regulars simply just by being a decent entertainer and dedicating a few weeks to it. You can't really go to Hitbox and expect popularity there, even in spite of its superiority to Twitch in many ways, 'cause while ten to twenty regulars is considered a good start on Twitch, ten to twenty regulars is considered front page material for Hitbox.

It's just not the same. People are just waiting for that one thing that they don't agree with happening - like, y'know, Youtube potentially butting into Twitch in an unfavorable way - but even then, you're still gonna have people that think it sucks and then turn around and still watch Youtube/Twitch, 'cause there's no better alternative.

'cept in Twitch's case, there IS something better. People just need to know about it. ;)

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
'cause every other social media site like it sucks even worse for the same reasons, none of the people we watch on Youtube are fine with leaving or continue to post to Youtube for the extra money even when they are (and their websites suck), and everyone else uses Youtube as a platform to kick off their careers in entertainment for the same reason every up and coming streamer uses Twitch.

It's easier to garner popularity in a place like Twitch, which is in a similar situation to Youtube, 'cause it's got a FAR larger user base, so no matter how obscure your game you're bound to wind up with ten, twenty regulars simply just by being a decent entertainer and dedicating a few weeks to it. You can't really go to Hitbox and expect popularity there, even in spite of its superiority to Twitch in many ways, 'cause while ten to twenty regulars is considered a good start on Twitch, ten to twenty regulars is considered front page material for Hitbox.
Then those people are just feeding to youtube being evil and sucky! I'd rather do more work to get popular then support something I hated. Even if other sites aren't perfect either at least some are trying to get better and do care about their customers. Plus, if any famous smahers on youtube moved operations to a new site I guarantee we'd all follow them there.

It's just not the same. People are just waiting for that one thing that they don't agree with happening - like, y'know, Youtube potentially butting into Twitch in an unfavorable way - but even then, you're still gonna have people that think it sucks and then turn around and still watch Youtube/Twitch, 'cause there's no better alternative.

'cept in Twitch's case, there IS something better. People just need to know about it. ;)
That's kinda my point, people are complaining when in the end they'll just watch anyways. Even if there is a better alternative people wont probably even use it just because youtube/twitch "are the standard" it kinda sucks.

And I wouldn't touch hitbox, wasn't there something about it being owned by a guy who's streaming site went down and he still owes people thousands upon thousands of dollars? eek.

Last edited:
Top Bottom