• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twilight of Smash 5 - Brawl - Ottawa, ON - Jul 5, 08

WarranThad

Smash Ace
i'm going to see TV on the Radio tomorrow.

one of the guys has an afro AND a beard.

**** its going to rule.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Alright! It's Official! There will be 5 competitors from Saint John New Brunswick attending. add us to the list please :D

Seison
SupremePieNinja
Cowbox
ToxicFireStorm
Quan

This will be our first out of town Tourney, so we're pretty excited.

See you all there.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Alright! It's Official! There will be 5 competitors from Saint John New Brunswick attending. add us to the list please :D

Seison
SupremePieNinja
CowBox
ToxicFireStorm
Quan

See you all there.
Exciting news, you guys are the first maritimers we've encountered. Good luck :)

Top 2? I'm obviously not making these brackets then. And Montreal is awful at Brawl. Can't be worse than Southern Ontario though.

I hope with this layout it won't be 2 stock matches :( that is one thing I would especially like to petition.

Cowbox

Smash Cadet
Awesomesauce. Me and the guys coming up make up about half of Saint John's competitive scene. There ain't many of us here. >_>

We're going to be shipping up a couple of Wiis, too, in case they're needed. No TVs though -- enough trouble finding room for US in the car.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
You know what, since we're in such dire need, I will bring a TV, as well as two wiis + games.

Fogel

Smash Lord
OK, to everyone who keeps posting about 2 stock pools matches and asking for a 32 person singles bracket...we don't have time! Let's look at the numbers:

- There will be 8 pools.
- We currently have 11 setups, which means that 5/8 pools only have 1 TV on which to play their matches (this is why I said we'd need 16 TVs).
- We have 63 people registered for singles right now, which means every pool but one will have 8 people in the pool. An 8-person round-robin pool has 28 (7+6+5+4+3+2+1) matches to play. Also, there are lots of 'maybe's which I didn't add to the list, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if we actually hit high 60s/70s for attendance.

If we were to have 3 stock, 7 minute matches, how long will a single match take? Brawl is a defensive game, so a lot of games will go at or close to the 7 minute mark. Let's say half the sets someone wins 2-0, the other half 2-1. Worst case scenario, that's 7*2.5= 17.5 minutes per game. Not all games will take 7 minutes, but you also have to consider time spent getting to stations, setting up controllers, choosing characters, choosing counterpicks, etc. so 17.5 is possibly even too conservative.

Anyways, let's use that number and do the math, remembering that we can only have 1 match going at a time:
17.5 minutes per match * 28 matches = 490 minutes = 8 HOURS for that pool to finish. Now, the pools that have 2 TVs will take half that time, so those TVs will be able to be used for other pools, but even those pools will take 4 hours to finish, so you're still looking at maybe 6-7 hours for the 1 TV pools to finish.

I think it's safe to say that nobody wants to spend between 6-7 hours waiting for pools to finish!

Now, let's change that to 2 stock, 5 minute matches:

Using the same logic as above, let's say a match takes on average 12.5 minutes now:
12.5 minutes per match * 28 matches = 350 minutes = 5.83 hours for a pool to finish. Round it down to 4-5 hours using the TVs from the 2 TV pools. This is more reasonable (but still too long in my opinion...ideally this would be 3 hours max).

Also, doubles will be a 32-team bracket instead of a 16-team bracket like at previous ToSes, so that will take more time up too. There is NO WAY we will have time for a top 32 singles bracket, or any crew battles, on top of this. Even with 2 stock pools, top 2 advancing I'm still pretty sure this tournament will run at least 2 hours late.

If someone can find some kind of flaw in my math, go ahead, but I'm pretty sure I didn't make any mistakes. If you can find a LOGICAL reason as to how we can make things go faster, I'm all ears. Believe me, I don't want 2 stock pools any more than all of you do, but as the organizer I have to make these kinds of decisions for the good of the tournament.

I'm gonna be driving, and I plan on getting a motel for the night actually. I need a good sleep for the next day since I'm gonna take a road trip to New Brunswick to visit relatives the day after.

Since the first posts says doubles will be first and I don't want to be in doubles... is it cool if I have either Niko or Percon register me for singles when we need to register. That way I can get there a bit later with a bit more rest and still make it for singles.
Thanks for the heads-up on the motel. As for registration, I always do singles registration just before singles starts (after doubles is already over), so I wouldn't worry about it.

Seison
SupremePieNinja
Cowbox
ToxicFireStorm
Quan

See you all there.
Wow, maritime smashers! Great, looking forward to meeting you guys!

imo craigslist ottawa for free tvs.
To anyone else who's driving from Ottawa, you may want to look into this. I personally will have a full car that day, otherwise I would try to get more myself, but we really really need more TVs.

You know what, since we're in such dire need, I will bring a TV, as well as two wiis + games.
Thank you!

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Man, if there is a death pool, which always happen.. that will really suck for top players and everyone lol. I vote Top 4!
We cant do top 4... top 4 means 4 pools

theres 63 ppl registered, so its going to give 3 pools of 16! ppl and 1 pool of 15.

we have 11 setups, and a pool of 16 ppl equals 120 sets... a pool of 15 would be 105 matches

so now we have 465 sets to run that would last 6-7 minutes in average (if we play 2 stock matches)

sry rous, but its impossible lol

edit: lol fogel beat me to the math thing

Fogel

Smash Lord
We cant do top 4... top 4 means 4 pools

theres 63 ppl registered, so its going to give 3 pools of 16! ppl and 1 pool of 15.

we have 11 setups, and a pool of 16 ppl equals 120 sets... a pool of 15 would be 105 matches

so now we have 465 sets to run that would last 6-7 minutes in average (if we play 2 stock matches)

sry rous, but its impossible lol

edit: lol fogel beat me to the math thing
Those pools would take 2100 minutes to do (35 hours = almost 1 and a half days STRAIGHT). This is why I went 8 pools instead of 4 :)

edit: oops double post. Don't ban me mods ;_;

WarranThad

Smash Ace
stop crying about death pools. if you don't top 2 your pool you probably won't top 3 the event so QQ more.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Fogel, everyone understands that you're strapped for time and logically thats the way it should be done.
Their all just scared of not making brackets though.

For southern Ontario this is like our 5th or 6th brawl tournament though, so with our experience you guys better practise.

Oh also me and Niko's team name will be: Unnecessary Flash

Wolfblade

Smash Lord

Seison
SupremePieNinja
Cowbox
ToxicFireStorm
Quan

See you all there.
DUUUUDE! I used to live right outside of Saint John. In fact I'm driving to Hampton, NB to visit relatives the day after the tourney. When it gets close to singles just start screaming "WOLFBLADE!" Totally wanna talk with you guys ^^

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Fogel, everyone understands that you're strapped for time and logically thats the way it should be done.
Their all just scared of not making brackets though.

For southern Ontario this is like our 5th or 6th brawl tournament though, so with our experience you guys better practise.

Oh also me and Niko's team name will be: Unnecessary Flash
Well I'm going to have to kick your *** then! Oohh! =P

Miller

Smash Lord
Exciting news, you guys are the first maritimers we've encountered. Good luck :)

Top 2? I'm obviously not making these brackets then. And Montreal is awful at Brawl. Can't be worse than Southern Ontario though.

I hope with this layout it won't be 2 stock matches :( that is one thing I would especially like to petition.
You better back up those words ;)

Navo

Smash Apprentice
what's up with Kanata btw? you guys dont brawl?
well dice, locke and rimi play rarely
and I don't really like the game so I never play, I've started playing melee again recently though

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Here's an idea to help speed things up.

Make pools Single Game instead of Bo3 but, keep it 3stock 7min.

Like you said there's always plenty of character picking, counterpick choosing and the like to tack on more time onto the already long brawl matches. So if people only have to play once then all that time is cut in half.

With this in place you'd probably be able to make bigger pools so people would still be playing lots of matches.

KingAce

Smash Ace
iunno whats the point of having counterpick stages then? theyre basically useless until brackets that means

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Here's an idea to help speed things up.

Make pools Single Game instead of Bo3 but, keep it 3stock 7min.

Like you said there's always plenty of character picking, counterpick choosing and the like to tack on more time onto the already long brawl matches. So if people only have to play once then all that time is cut in half.

With this in place you'd probably be able to make bigger pools so people would still be playing lots of matches.
I'd take Bo3 with 2 stock 5 mins over 1 match 3 stock 7 mins any day.

Bug~

Smash Ace
if I came with my cousin, can we get housing? cause he has a car and he just came from winnipeg and hes down for a road trip.

Dice

Smash Lord
Kanata is hitting this up with our "play brawl once a month" strat. Sign me, Rimi and Locke up for singles and Rimi and Locke up for doubles as Team Quaid. I can bring a tv for sure and Brian might be able to bring his, but no wiis so someone else needs to bring those.

PND

Smash Champion
I looked at Craigslist for free TVs, but there's nothing. Lowest price is around $30 for a 21 inch, there's a couple of TVs with larger dimensions and price tags. I suggest TO or MTL smashers see what they can find, if they have room to lug one along with them, of course. I'll talk to my crew and see what they can do about scrounging TVs. Also, I'll talk to HighDef and see if he can bring his Wii as well. He doesn't have Brawl, or aything unlocked, but we might be able to pick it up and session all that on Friday before the tourney. I'll see what I can do.

Also, I think we're shuffling around our teams. We've been trying some different combos, but it's not finalized yet.

Finally, I know the venue costs are coming from the pot(s), but how are they being divided amongst doubles and singles? 50-50 from each? I'm just curious.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I ran into a huge problem with my plans this weekend, I was wondering if anyone still has room to house one more person for friday and saturday. If anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Even if not I still am bringing a tent with me and finding a place...for real.

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
With so many setups issues, i can try and see if i can bring a second TV, but that will depend if theres still room in our ride there.

Zaf, let me know.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I ran into a huge problem with my plans this weekend, I was wondering if anyone still has room to house one more person for friday and saturday. If anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Even if not I still am bringing a tent with me and finding a place...for real.
Hoping for an answer tonight, I leave tomorrow at noon and arrive at 7h30m PM

PND

Smash Champion
Hey, it shouldn't be a problem to crash at my place. I live out of Ottawa, about 45 minutes out, but it's 45 minutes towards TO, so it'd actually be shorter. I work tomorrow night, but I work at home, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

If you're cool with, well, being in a boring small town that's not Ottawa, gimme a shout.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Just how would I get there from ottawa on the friday night? Obviously not familiar with the area and I dont wanna spend TOO much money.

How would it work? Small towns dont bug me.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
if I came with my cousin, can we get housing? cause he has a car and he just came from winnipeg and hes down for a road trip.
I think I could house both of you, if necessary

EDIT: note that in this house we play oldschool. No wii, only a gamecube with the game that allows wavedashes and L cancels.

Top Bottom