• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turnip Insta-Throw Combos Advanced Technique

EOE

Smash Apprentice
Are you sure? I just got the wii u version and a down throw turnup sends them away from you rather than towards. :( I can combo i to a forward throw turnip to grab tho. Or i can combo to fair which is also slick.
Well that's terrible. :(
Looks like we'll be going back to N-air OOS.

It definitely works in the 3DS version 1.0.4. Does this confirm that 1.0.4 and WiiU versions are different?

Smockers

Smash Apprentice
This is terrible. They reverted the turnip mechanics back to Brawl. This means we can't do anymore insta-throw combos, and getting the nair lock to work is impossible, because the opponent will be pushed away by the turnip. That's actually ridiculous. How many more options can they take away from her

Last edited:

EOE

Smash Apprentice
This is terrible. They reverted the turnip mechanics back to Brawl. This means we can't do anymore insta-throw combos, and getting the nair lock to work is impossible, because the opponent will be pushed away by the turnip. That's actually ridiculous. How many more options can they take away from her
Yeah, this is quite a bad nerf. What makes it more annoying is the fact that a lot of us put so much work into testing and perfecting these techniques, only to have them removed.

I wouldn't worry too much, though. These set-ups were only really going to happen OOS or from a punish - Peach still has amazing options for both these situations.

Also the combo @ EdreesesPieces EdreesesPieces mentioned sounds like it could work. Short-hop > Turnip down-throw > regrab Turnup forward-throw > dash attack / side-B might actually be something that works on the WiiU version.

Smockers

Smash Apprentice
Playing experienced opponents, I could never really even think about trying to go for the nair lock or insta-throw combos, y'all are right. Too hard to set-up and land with the small range of the throw, and then to execute perfectly. Still, as the meta progressed, I think they would be used more and more as people maximized their punish games. Guess we'll never know. The better controls and offline lagless play on the Wii U version would have helped too. Well, I'll cherish them on the 3DS version while I still can.

Once I get the Wii U version I'm curious to see what new setups, like Edreeses has brought up, are possible.

Hmm, in the end, after this patch and the new version, the only thing I'm really salty about being gone are ledge-canceled turnips. That was one thing that I always used in neutral constantly. Ah well.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Youve never been able to land these things just as I havent because you cant react fast or space on a 3ds controller. its doable on wii u except the options are now gone. Pretty depressing that theyd do this. Like why!?!?!?!?

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Youve never been able to land these things just as I havent because you cant react fast or space on a 3ds controller. its doable on wii u except the options are now gone. Pretty depressing that theyd do this. Like why!?!?!?!?
In Brawl you could also do Dthrow turnip throw > Fair. It was a quite a high-rewarding punish since at higher percents it dealt 20+% and could kill, and at lower percents you could do the insta-throw turnip trick and combo into an other move for big damage.

Yet despite the high reward I have literally only once through Brawl's entire lifespan seen someone pulling this off in a serious match. We had a C-stick in Brawl too so there's must be a reason why D-throw turnip throw was so underused.

I don't have the Wii U version but assuming Dthrow turnip works like in Brawl, shouldn't you be able to score a Fair from it? Frankly this should be more than enough for Dthrow turnip fans since Fair does ******** knockback and knockback staling has been notably reduced now. It's also WAY more practical than anything involving a footstool since Dthrow is already a pain in the ass to pull off because of the non-existing range and with the Dthrow > Footstool combos you even have to have perfect spacing to execute it properly, as if it wasn't hard enough already.

busken

Smash Ace
Are you sure? I just got the wii u version and a down throw turnup sends them away from you rather than towards. :( I can combo i to a forward throw turnip to grab tho. Or i can combo to fair which is also slick.
EdreesesPieces, unfortunately this technique does not work on the Wii U, as the down throw will send the opponent away.

Top Bottom