• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee & Project M Trying to estabkish weeklies in Fredericksburg, VA

doublec72

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CC#985
NNID
DoubleC72
Switch FC
SW-0865-3676-5395
So in Fredericksburg there's this place called Sage Mantis Game Haven were I currently host Smash 4 tourneys on Friday nights and in the interest of growing the community and bringing more business to the venue owner I'm willing to expand my tourneys to Melee and/or Project M. The tournaments could potentially be held on Sundays, Tuesday nights, Thursday nights, and possibly Saturdays. The days are quite tentative because I'm trying to work out a day that works for the players, myself, and the venue owner.

So my question to you all is...If these became a reality for Melee/PM tourneys, who would attend? Rules would be standard, with venue and entry fees at $5 each.

Please comment and let me know if you'd be interested!

doublec72

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CC#985
NNID
DoubleC72
Switch FC
SW-0865-3676-5395
New info:
Alright, I'm scrapping Tuesday as a potential night as to not conflict with Smash 4 at Xanadu, which i eventually hope to attend.
The first tournament will be likely be held 9this date is tentative) Thursday October 1st

Last edited:

ShakeDrizzle

Smash Cadet
Hey!

I've been working on growing a Smash scene here at UMW. I started a Smash club this semester. We're pretty small right now but we have a handful of Melee players. I'll come to your melee weeklies and bring as many people as I can!

doublec72

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CC#985
NNID
DoubleC72
Switch FC
SW-0865-3676-5395
Hey!

I've been working on growing a Smash scene here at UMW. I started a Smash club this semester. We're pretty small right now but we have a handful of Melee players. I'll come to your melee weeklies and bring as many people as I can!
Alright, thank you very much! If you have any CRT TVs be sure to bring them!

ShakeDrizzle

Smash Cadet
I'll be there tomorrow with 2-3 CRTs + set ups. I'll be around 30 minutes late though; I have to take a quiz and then get the CRTs and drive over. Is there any way you could delay the bracket just by a bit? I'll bring a few friends, too.

doublec72

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CC#985
NNID
DoubleC72
Switch FC
SW-0865-3676-5395
Since you've warned mre ahead of time, I'll do my best to stall but please be as on time as you can in the future

Last edited:

ShakeDrizzle

Smash Cadet
Hm, is the store busy on Sundays? I think it would make a lot more sense to host the Melee weeklies on Sunday rather than Thursday, since a lot of players in the area are either High Schoolers or college students. Could help with the Melee turnout.

Nitney

Smash Rookie
Hm, is the store busy on Sundays? I think it would make a lot more sense to host the Melee weeklies on Sunday rather than Thursday, since a lot of players in the area are either High Schoolers or college students. Could help with the Melee turnout.
Agreed, I'd definitely go on Sunday, but i can't make it on Thursdays.

doublec72

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CC#985
NNID
DoubleC72
Switch FC
SW-0865-3676-5395
I'll see about it, but I picked the days that I did as to not conflict with any other smash events for any of the games, and Sunday features Smash 4 and possibly Melee. But if there is demand, I will certainly see about moving it to Sunday. But for the forseeable future, Melee will be on thursdays until i say otherwise

doublec72

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CC#985
NNID
DoubleC72
Switch FC
SW-0865-3676-5395
Also, you do not need to bring consoles or TVs anymore, we have our own, thank you for supplying them last week though

ShakeDrizzle

Smash Cadet
Also, you do not need to bring consoles or TVs anymore, we have our own, thank you for supplying them last week though
How many do you have? There's no reason to not have as many setups as possible, even if just for friendlies. I have no problem bringing a setup, especially now that I have a small CRT.

And what do you mean by having Smash 4 and possibly Melee on Sunday? I thought Smash 4 was on Friday?

Last edited:

doublec72

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CC#985
NNID
DoubleC72
Switch FC
SW-0865-3676-5395
How many do you have? There's no reason to not have as many setups as possible, even if just for friendlies. I have no problem bringing a setup, especially now that I have a small CRT.

And what do you mean by having Smash 4 and possibly Melee on Sunday? I thought Smash 4 was on Friday?
We have 3 setups, I just figured that since we're not getting too many people that would be enough. Also, the venue owner doesn't really wanna haggle with you guys over the venue discount, i rather save you guys the trouble there.

And as far the the other event goes, i was referring to Anvil/forge smash down in Richmond, they host their smash 4 events on sundays and im not sure but i think they do melee as well. I just didnt want to conflict as to not miss people due to another event, or in the case that i wanted to go to an event that day

ShakeDrizzle

Smash Cadet
We have 3 setups, I just figured that since we're not getting too many people that would be enough. Also, the venue owner doesn't really wanna haggle with you guys over the venue discount, i rather save you guys the trouble there.

And as far the the other event goes, i was referring to Anvil/forge smash down in Richmond, they host their smash 4 events on sundays and im not sure but i think they do melee as well. I just didnt want to conflict as to not miss people due to another event, or in the case that i wanted to go to an event that day
Even if we only get 10 people, 3 setups is still not enough to smoothly run a bracket. As long as there's space, setups are a must at any tournament.

There's no reason to be charging a $5 venue fee at a tournament where there's 7-10 people... but whatever, I understand that's not your call. I can bring my set up and pay the full venue fee tomorrow, but I don't know how much longer the store owner can expect casual players to be paying $10 every week to play (20 if Melee as well). That will not help grow the turnout at all...

And last week when I asked for a venue fee he made up some thing about Smash 4 costing a $10 venue fee so he wouldn't be able to give me a discount because he just gives 50% off, which eventually translated to him giving me $2 off when he realized I'm not buying it (not even $2.50 lmao). That's not me haggling, that's just common sense.

Whatevz, I'm excited to see how tomorrow goes.

doublec72

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CC#985
NNID
DoubleC72
Switch FC
SW-0865-3676-5395
UMW has fall break this weekend so I can't guarantee much of a turnout. Your call. I won't be able to make it though.
Alright, you've made a quite valid point about the setups, feel free to bring them.

My Melee weeklies will be held on Sunday starting October due to the quite apparent lack of player availability. (0 people last night, lol)

Top Bottom