• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to create a smash club at my uni, need help

Jedi_

Smash Rookie
Trying to create a smash club at my university where we would mostly play project m. Ive never been anything close to a TO so i have a few questions.

how many systems/tvs should i have for tournaments of about 30 if i plan to do double elimination? How many would i need to just do a single elimination?

How many extra controllers should i have?

Should i include a couple hours dedicated to friendlies to help bring in non competitive players? or just go straight to tournaments?

How many tournaments should I be running a month?

Should i charge a entry fee?
Should i do cash tournaments or have outside companies provide prizes?

Any tips/ideas on how i should go about this.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
2-3 setups for 30 people

make those plebs bring their own controllers

people won't get better or bond in the game without friendlies

mostly no

himemiya

Smash Lord
Trying to create a smash club at my university where we would mostly play project m. Ive never been anything close to a TO so i have a few questions.

how many systems/tvs should i have for tournaments of about 30 if i plan to do double elimination? How many would i need to just do a single elimination?

About 3-4, depending on how big they get.

How many extra controllers should i have?

I never seen a tourney have spare controllers so I guess you don't need to.

Should i include a couple hours dedicated to friendlies to help bring in non competitive players? or just go straight to tournaments?

If its a club thing you want to do then have plan smashfests weeklies and for tournaments give them a hour or 2 to warm up.

How many tournaments should I be running a month?

Depends on how many tryhards are in your area.

Should i charge a entry fee?
Should i do cash tournaments or have outside companies provide prizes?

Weeklies no, Monthly sure. The prize should be that they get 60% of the profits.

Any tips/ideas on how i should go about this.

ZombieHedgehog

Smash Rookie
I ran a fairly successful Smash club at my uni. We did friendlies every week and a tournament every month or two. I think it would be wise to keep it laid back most of the time so people that might not be that great keep coming back. It helped to have one setup for "pro" players and another for the rest.

Encourage people to come even if they aren't big on Smash by suggesting they use the opportunity to play 3DS games with each other.

Inevitably, the best players will want to play more throughout the week. I found myself heading to local tourneys with our most dedicated players pretty frequently and wound up only doing one big tournament on campus per semester by my senior year.

Hope it goes well for you!

Jedi_

Smash Rookie
thanks for giving me advice but i still have some more questions.

Casual players tend to love items, how do i tell them that we wont be using them without sounding like a competitive tryhard?

How can i create a good balance of free-for-alls and one-on-ones for a smashfest, do i even need to do free-for-alls?

Raijinken

Smash Master
thanks for giving me advice but i still have some more questions.

Casual players tend to love items, how do i tell them that we wont be using them without sounding like a competitive tryhard?

How can i create a good balance of free-for-alls and one-on-ones for a smashfest, do i even need to do free-for-alls?
Most of my friends, even the casual ones, don't care for items once they reach a certain level of skill. So, while it may sound like being a competitive tryhard, it's really just being a regular tryhard (not intended offensively) and cutting down on the randomness.

Of course, if you have numerous players who want items, throw them into a pool of their own where they can play with items.

As for free-for-alls at a smashfest, it depends on your crowd. If your crowd wants free-for-alls, give them freeforalls. If you have enough setups, you can just dedicate a system to it and have people join or leave as they want. If the crowd primarily wants 1v1, then just do 1v1s, and either take a fun-for-all break every now and then, or just tell them that there won't be FFAs that night, and offer to have some time dedicated for it the following meeting time.

I've also found that team games are a decent way to appeal to the less hardcore, with or without friendly fire. If you have some skilled players and then some similarly unskilled players, you can mix and match them, or use stock control to set up a challenge for the weaker players to try to beat the better players. With some luck, maybe they'll decide they want to become that good.

Top Bottom