• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Try Hard 4: Live Free or Try Hard (December 1st) AZ (Last one)

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Someone once tried to describe an X-men comic to me by saying, "Magneto was doin' work."

I had to remind said person (a Physics major!) that the magnetic force performs no work.

So, whenever people don't work, I call them Magneto.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Rob, can there be some sort of rule that allows the use of 1.0?

Like maybe I can sacrifice my stage ban in order to use 1.0 (as long as I have a disc with me).

IMO I should be able to use 1.0 whenever I want to as long as I have a disc with me because it only benefits low tiers, but for whatever reason I think people have a problem with this.

What are everyone's thoughts about this subject? I want 1.0 to be available for use in our tournaments. Some low tiers need their small advantages. Every little bit that helps does matter.

:phone:

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Rob, can there be some sort of rule that allows the use of 1.0?

Like maybe I can sacrifice my stage ban in order to use 1.0 (as long as I have a disc with me).

IMO I should be able to use 1.0 whenever I want to as long as I have a disc with me because it only benefits low tiers, but for whatever reason I think people have a problem with this.

What are everyone's thoughts about this subject? I want 1.0 to be available for use in our tournaments. Some low tiers need their small advantages. Every little bit that helps does matter.

In Axe's case, the use of a different disc will likely have no effect on how well he places. The sorts of people he would play YL against would lose to him regardless of version. The people he would play a more serious character against would not be affected by the version number. I don't think it makes too much of a difference. If anything, using 1.0 would increase my chances by encouraging Axe to play YL against me, instead of Falco or Pika.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
I'm saying, if Axe would even consider going YL against you in 1.0, then he'd probably beat you in 1.2 with Falco or Pika.

Seriously, with Wobbles out of the picture, who else in this state is going to steal 1st from Axe?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
not entirely true

he's legitimately trying to use YL as a tourney secondary, especially against peach and jigglypuff

AXE 09

Smash Master
Just saying, I'll probably use Pikachu against any fox/falco player in tournament lol. Sorry Mizuki =( But we can do plenty of Falco ditto friendlies :)

@FTF: I don't think you know how good Silly Kyle is now.

But this version issue isn't meant to be directed towards him. I would probably use YL against anybody who mains a floaty, which the only top AZ player who mains a floaty atm happens to be Kyle. But that can change in the future, and I really want to state some sort of clause that allows for someone to use 1.0. None of the high/top tiers are affected, so I honestly don't see what the issue is for helping a few low tiers out a little bit.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I think Silly Kyle is fraudulent because he lost to my Mario.

EDIT:

But for what it's worth my Mario appears to do better against ALL Peaches than my ICs do. Which makes me sad.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
None of the high/top tiers are affected, so I honestly don't see what the issue is for helping a few low tiers out a little bit.
Tier lists aside, it would be giving certain characters more of an advantage than others as compared to 1.2. However, I think the fairest thing to do would be to know what can happen in 1.0. So. If you can compile a changelist that shows all the differences between 1.0 and 1.2, then I'll allow it and you would still retain your ban. It's just that if you 'do' wish to use 1.0 with someone, you must 'say' that you are going to use it. They cannot ban the use of it, for so far as I can see, it doesn't make a character broken to the point where the metagame would be centralized around it.

So basically, provide a changelist and I'll allow it.

P.S. Don't use a "it's only low tiers" argument. AZ has proven that that argument is a weak one.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Tier lists aside, it would be giving certain characters more of an advantage than others as compared to 1.2. However, I think the fairest thing to do would be to know what can happen in 1.0. So. If you can compile a changelist that shows all the differences between 1.0 and 1.2, then I'll allow it and you would still retain your ban. It's just that if you 'do' wish to use 1.0 with someone, you must 'say' that you are going to use it. They cannot ban the use of it, for so far as I can see, it doesn't make a character broken to the point where the metagame would be centralized around it.

P.S. Don't use a "it's only low tiers" argument. AZ has proven that that argument is a weak one.
the only effective difference for young link is that he gets an extra airdodge added to his recovery via some hookshot exploit

in 1.0, young link can...

throw boomerang -> airdodge into hookshot -> catch boomerang -> and then he'll be reset out of falling animation, allowing him to up B

it's not a game-breaking difference, but the main thing is, if jeff tried to do that in 1.2, he would 100% most certainly kill himself. he's practiced YL on 1.0, so it'd really blow for him to have to consciously force himself to refrain from that in tourney.

so i think the competitive standard should be 1.2 :troll:

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Just saying, I'll probably use Pikachu against any fox/falco player in tournament lol. Sorry Mizuki =( But we can do plenty of Falco ditto friendlies :)

@FTF: I don't think you know how good Silly Kyle is now.

But this version issue isn't meant to be directed towards him. I would probably use YL against anybody who mains a floaty, which the only top AZ player who mains a floaty atm happens to be Kyle. But that can change in the future, and I really want to state some sort of clause that allows for someone to use 1.0. None of the high/top tiers are affected, so I honestly don't see what the issue is for helping a few low tiers out a little bit.

I'll probably end up forfeiting against you, unless it's losers.

AXE 09

Smash Master

I'll only list the ones that would affect tournament play lol. So those include:

-Link/Ylink can cancel their aerial hookshot by catching their boomering

-Bowser can flame cancel

-You cannot SDI out of moves that do less than 1%. This makes moves like Zelda's Fsmash/Usmash and Ylink's grounded up+b safe to hit someone with

And... that's it I think lol

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Added to the tournament information section.
Rules Regarding the Use of 1.0 in Melee

You can use version 1.0, but you 'must' specify that you are changing the disk if it will affect the match.

Here are the changes that affect tournament play:
-Link/Young Link can cancel their aerial hookshot by catching their boomerang
-Bowser can flame cancel (neutral B)
-You cannot SDI (smash DI) out of moves that do less than 1%. Moves like Zelda's Fsmash/Usmash and Ylink's grounded Up-B are now safe on hit.

Edit: I also cleaned up the first post so it's not so cluttery.

One-Up

Smash Apprentice
So.. is it gonna be at the U of A or are we still deciding a location? Either way, I'm going forsure.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Yummy, you should be able to make both because there is no doubles.

Schedule is:
1:00 PM Brawl Singles Starts ($5)
2:00 PM Project M Starts ($2)
3:00 PM Melee Starts ($5)
8:00 PM (or so) Project M 3-man Crews ($1)

For Crews, (provided we have time) we will do a random seeding bracket, assuming there are at least 3 teams. If there are only 3 crews, we will do draft crews instead.

Edit: 2.1 is going to be used.

oksas

oak-sauce
ivysaur? oh man i really hope okami plays as ivy so he can run away and heal all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also i should note that

WE WILL BE STARTING ALL EVENTS ON TIME REGARDLESS OF WHEN YOU SHOW UP, SO SILLY KYLE BETTER GET HIS *** IN GEAR UNLESS HE WANTS TO COME PLAY FRIENDLIES ALL DAY

One-Up

Smash Apprentice
Also, does anyone know how i can get my name changed on this site? ive had this old name forever...

Top Bottom