• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble w/ Boost Smash

xcchmpn11

Smash Rookie
Can someone please go over how to execute a Boost Smash? I don't know what it is, but I just can't seem to get it down consistently. Thanks

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
DACUS (Dash Attack Cancelled into U-Smash) or "Boost Smashing" is simple. All you're doing is transferring your momentum from the dash attack into the U-Smash. It's like Hyphen Smashing (running forwards, then U-Smashing to slide) on steroids. This is how it goes.

Tap Jump ON, Default Configuration.

This is what you do. It helps to think of it as a 1, 2, 3, 4 motion.

1. Forward
2. C-stick Down
3. A
4. Up.

It is crucial that you press A before you press up, otherwise you will find yourself doing aerials.

While your left thumb rotates the joy stick from Forward to Up, your right hand hit's C-stick Down and A.

You have to time it right so that once the "dash" in "dash attack" is initiated, you are already inputting a U-Smash.

Tap Jump OFF simply means you can hit Up before you hit A. This does indeed make the timing easier. If you don't mind switching to alternate controller configurations, by all means, please turn it off.

Alternate Configuration.

The most popular alternate configuration I know of is simply to set Z to "Attack" and either L, R, X, or Y (whichever one you don't use) to Grab.

Assuming Z is now attack, all that happens now is:

1. Forward
2. Z
3. Up
4. A.

You can change the configuration to whatever you want. Hell, you can change every button. The only thing that matters is that two different buttons are set to attack.

1. Forward
2. Whatever makes you dash attack.
3. Whatever makes you attack.
4. Up.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Considering the only thing I see most players change on their controls is Tap Jump (to OFF, I mean), I'd like to add that keeping your Z button set to Grab will still work for Boost Smashing (and, of course, will charge your C-stick smash attacks).

I'll admit, it seems like Wolf's Boost Smash is the hardest to pull off; I don't know if it's just me, but getting it down with the other characters seems like a breeze in comparison. To do it consistently, I try making a quarter-circle with the control stick when changing from left/right to up. I also avoid starting my dash with a perfectly left or right smash on the Control Stick; rather, I'll SLIGHTLY bias the smash downwards, such that it's more of a "South East East" or "South West West" direction. This helps me with ensuring I completed the entire quarter-circle of my stick, for usually I whiff it by starting with a smash too high to start a dash. My process is as follows:

1. Smash the left stick left or right (and slightly downwards) to start a dash.
2. Using the timing needed to do a "Quick Dash Attack," slam the C-Stick down AND quarter-circle the control stick (pressed all the way against the rim) to an upwards position.
3. This part is usually hardest; once the left stick is all the way upwards, hold down the Z button. If you rotated the control stick fast enough, your dash attack will be canceled into an U-Smash that's charging as long as you hold the Z button. It takes serious practice for the timing, but you have to ensure you're pressing the left stick up before you press the Z button.

Once I learned to rotate the control stick around the rim, Boost Smashing became a lot simpler for me. The motion itself takes about the same time you must wait to press Grab/Attack, making the entire process very fluid. Good luck, and practice a bunch!

xcchmpn11

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys, I appreciate that a lot. I really promise I'm not some noob lol, I just couldn't seem to do it very well w/ Wolf.

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
Ahh its no prob, we Wolfs gotta stay as a pack and over challenges together

If you still have problems, try changing L, R, or Z to attack and turn Tap jump off, that is how I have mine set up and it helps a bunch

xcchmpn11

Smash Rookie
This actually did help me. I found that my c-stick hasn't been too reliable lately. It just won't work sometimes which has left me wideee open for some serious punishment so until I can get a new controller, I've found using an alt. attack button has helped. Thanks!

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
I can't do it consistently enough to use it in matches...At least my Wolf's DACUS is more reliable than my Sheik's. >_>

Are there any good setups or reasons to use DACUS over a SH Fair or Bair besides mixups? It kills better, but it's far easier to shieldgrab.

derv

Smash Apprentice
the way i do it is to C-stick down when dashing
then Up+Z instantly after
and the practice this i go on FD and try to do it back and forth and see how many i can get in a row

edit: my best is 11 in a row

Van Jones

Smash Lord
I was monitoring my play last night, and I noticed that I sometimes still use Z to grab (my X is set to grab). After changing Z back to grab and R to attack, I haven't had much trouble performing the DACUS. Also, this provides a different way to perform the 0 lag Fair.

madattack

Smash Rookie
It might just be me, but I find that the L and R buttons are a little too sluggish to be pressed multiple times quickly (AAA, pummel). Z set to attack also makes 0 lag Fair fairly easy to do.

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
I can't do it consistently enough to use it in matches...At least my Wolf's DACUS is more reliable than my Sheik's. >_>

Are there any good setups or reasons to use DACUS over a SH Fair or Bair besides mixups? It kills better, but it's far easier to shieldgrab.
I first leaned how to do the DACUS off of Shiek :)

Use the DACUS to play mind games. Useally when I play someone, they go WTF Wolf cant do that!!! So throw it in every once in awhile and you should be good

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
I was monitoring my play last night, and I noticed that I sometimes still use Z to grab (my X is set to grab). After changing Z back to grab and R to attack, I haven't had much trouble performing the DACUS. Also, this provides a different way to perform the 0 lag Fair.
Ya, thats what I did too. It makes it even more reliable.

Also, if you are still having trouble with DACUS, try changing the C_stick to ATTACK. For some reason, it makes doing it really easy to preform. I am currently trying to see if diffrent thingss set a as C-stick do anything and this is one of them

Van Jones

Smash Lord
It might just be me, but I find that the L and R buttons are a little too sluggish to be pressed multiple times quickly (AAA, pummel). Z set to attack also makes 0 lag Fair fairly easy to do.
Eh, I don't find them sluggish at all. I'm not using R to do jabs. I'm using it for DACUS and 0 Lag Fair.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's not easy but very useful imo. It adds another dimension into wolfs ranged game

Top Bottom