• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble picking a PM Main!

Deepest Waters

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I've been playing pm for a bit now and I really want to get down to a main. I participated in a netplay tournament today where everyone had their mains or their top characters and I did decently, winning 2 games in regular bracket then winning 2 in losers bracket, finally getting dropped out in the semi-finals of losers. I like Snake, Squirtle, Wolf, and Lucario. Which one do you think I should work on?

Deepest Waters

Smash Rookie
Also, the reason I don't want to main Samus is because after using samus for roughly 10 years she's no fun anymore.

Last edited:

nessmaster1

Smash Cadet
I say Wolf. There aren't a ton out there and It's cool watching a good Wolf player.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Use whoever you enjoy using most and has a playstyle that you naturally prefer.
Also, the reason I don't want to main Samus is because after using samus for roughly 10 years she's no fun anymore.
She can use her charge shot mid-air and shoot it in reverse, crawl, switch to Ice Beam, and superwavedash. How isn't that fun?

Last edited:

Deepest Waters

Smash Rookie
Use whoever you enjoy using most and has a playstyle that you naturally prefer.

She can use her charge shot mid-air and shoot it in reverse, crawl, switch to Ice Beam, and superwavedash. How isn't that fun?
Imagine you drink the same thing for a decade. It gets old after a while :/

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
+1 to both Lucas and Squirtle. Both of them have really explosive combos and some of the biggest disjoints in the game.

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
I'd say try to Main Snake and take Lucario or Squirtle as a secondary for Snake's bad matchups.

Last edited:

Deepest Waters

Smash Rookie
Well everything changed after I practiced Ike and took him into a PM netplay tournament. I actually won a couples matches today, as opposed to yesterday when the 4 stated above couldn't really get me consistent wins. I think I'll pick up Ike with Squirtle and Diddy Kong as secondaries

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Well everything changed after I practiced Ike and took him into a PM netplay tournament. I actually won a couples matches today, as opposed to yesterday when the 4 stated above couldn't really get me consistent wins. I think I'll pick up Ike with Squirtle and Diddy Kong as secondaries
ike is pretty legit. good choice. we don't see too many squirtle's so its nice to hear that someone's gonna pick him up as well.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Ike is a wifi killer.
But more Ike players is always nice :). Just QD out of everything.

Sea Buoy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-5278-5305
Squirtle and Diddy are pretty solid characters. Lots of slippery fun. Speaking of solid and slippery, Snake is insane with his Up-B aerial combos. The following link is just some exceptional Snake play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpwIEkbkIfU

But seriously, just have fun with it. There's a difference between knowing how to play a character and becoming good with them. I know how to play several characters. I can play Warior, D3, Ganon, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Bowser, Meta Knight, and Roy. I really only main Bowser, Squirtle, and Ivysaur though. You just have to keep messing around until you find something that fits your playstyle or a character that just interests you.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
If you have good tech skill you should play Wolf, if not Snake.

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
I say Snake and Wolf.
Snake is hard, but mad good and mad fun, and wolf is just badass. (not to mention also really good)
It would be cool to see a squirtle too, cuz I think he has a lot of really unrecognized potential. But I would definately go with snake or wolf.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Play what suits your playstyle and emphazizes your strengths while covering your weaknesses.
Snake: often about smart setups and remembering your traps while choosing a way how to force the opponents into traps
Squirtle: if you are more the movement fan Squirtle would be the best choice
Wolf: also a spacie, so if you like having great pressure and combos + a shine and accept getting comboed hard as well Wolf would be your choice
Lucario: much about combos and insane pressure, good if you are good with clicking buttons fast, have good timing and are also creative

Deepest Waters

Smash Rookie
I didn't realize picking a main would be this hard. I want it to be Ike but then I sat down and played Lucario for a couple days afterschool and I'm loving him.

Phantasmagorical

Smash Cadet
The first step to picking a main is to not let random people on the internet who know nothing about your skills, preferences, and playstyle do it for you.

My advice is to try out as many characters as you can and pick the top 5 or so you're interested in. It seems you've already done this. Play only them for a while, and I mean like a week or a month. Perhaps only play one for a whole week, then switch. The idea is to get your proficiency with the character past the "honeymoon" stage, so to speak, to get an idea of what you're going to still enjoy a long time down the road. Slowly shrink the list to 3 at most, but optimally you'd have one or two characters that you have a pretty complete and deep knowledge of, as well as enjoy playing. Basically, do what you enjoy, and what you think you'll still be enjoying later.

Alternatively, if you don't intend to be a competitive player, just play as many characters as you want, it doesn't really matter in that case.

Sea Buoy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-5278-5305
Well, if they ask then we're going to give him an opinion. Also, I hardly think that anyone who spends their time on the boards isn't looking to get competitive in some shape or form.

OldManDyl (OMD)

Smash Cadet
I also think Wolf is a good choice. He's, IMO, the easiest of the spacies to pick up in PM. Great shield pressure with Nair to shine. He's got pillar combos with Dair to shine. He's got multiple kill moves (Fsmash, Dsmash, UpSmash, sweetspot up air, dair, bair, sweetspot fair, side b). Plus he's a fun overall character.

Top Bottom