• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trot Dancing Use

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
Umm... I'm surprised that this has not been discovered yet, and if it has, forgive me, it's not in the sticky. Anyway, melee dashdancing is back with only two simple drawbacks. (1) Tripping. (2) Noobs can't do it as it is kinda hard to pull off perfectly. Otherwise, it is just as good. To do it you first initiate a foxtrot, then another, but as fast as you possibly can you dashdance in the opposite direction and then repeat the process. If all inputs are done fast enough, it results in a dash dance that is no longer or shorter then a full length melee dashdance.
It's kinda funny actually. Sakurai tried to take out dashdancing by making foxtrots shorter, which only opened up another way to do it. :chuckle:
Anyways, Trot Dancing sounds like a reasonable name for this tech. Again, sorry if this is known but I doubt it is because this is really big, and I would have known about it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioUt7qjfh6Y

;]

it's underused, slower than the previous dashdance, and most people put learning it in the backseat because of trip chance, but it's really only effective with some characters.

PS, edit the "New AT" out of the title. I'm sure this thread can still be used to discuss the usage of foxtrot dancing.

Like, so far, I can see it working well with Sheik, Sonic, and Falcon.

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
Oh well, thanks for informing me. I'm still going to use this with Pit though, I think it rocks.
Edit: Are you sure it's slower? In the vid it looks like it is, but sonic is so fast that it is almost impossivle to do correctly. Idk...
Anyway, I've used this for drawing out a get up attack and punishing it, and it worked just fine. Plus, for that use in specific, if you trip, it's not a big deal and the reward is worth the risk.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
It seems like characters with longer strides do this effectively. My roomie is a Luigi main and he does this all the time. It's a standard part of his game and it really helps with his mind games and spacing.

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioUt7qjfh6Y

;]

it's underused, slower than the previous dashdance, and most people put learning it in the backseat because of trip chance, but it's really only effective with some characters.

PS, edit the "New AT" out of the title. I'm sure this thread can still be used to discuss the usage of foxtrot dancing.

Like, so far, I can see it working well with Sheik, Sonic, and Falcon.
Dashdancing, foxtrotting and even pivotting is really (I mean REALLY) helpful for marth. I use it alot to approach with a fsmash.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
I wouldnt say its just as good (as in melee) although it probably does have its usages. The main problem is that the foxtrot is a fixed distance while before you had more control on how far you could go which really helped spacing and mindgames.

Tenki

Smash Hero
The main problem is that the foxtrot is a fixed distance while before you had more control on how far you could go which really helped spacing and mindgames.
Is that so for other characters?

Sonic's foxtrot distance is adjustable depending on how long you hold forward (short tap or "long" tap), and [I know that this is character specific] he can slide the foxtrot if you pull back on the control stick to a slight tilt.

@whoever asked about foxtrot and f-smash:

simple mindgame o_o;
run> grab, run > grab... etc [force dodge]
..foxtrot>[bait spotdodge]> (charged) f-smash

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
....Like, so far, I can see it working well with Sheik....
but isn't sheiks dashdance just as good if not better?
I mean, I seem to use it pretty often when I play as her.
( : P stupid tripping.)

Although if this is better, then i will have to pick it up.
: ) thanks in advance.

Tenki

Smash Hero
but isn't sheiks dashdance just as good if not better?
I mean, I seem to use it pretty often when I play as her.
( : P stupid tripping.)

Although if this is better, then i will have to pick it up.
: ) thanks in advance.
Well, if you do foxtrots and use dashdances to pivot the foxtrots, Sheik twitches way too much. The advantage to foxtrot dance is movement. No real point to dashdancing if all you can do it stay in one place, or barely budge forward. And even if you can control the forward budge, you're starting initial dashes at a much more frequent rate than if you were simply doing a foxtrot to gain some distance, then doing a dashdance for a bit, then foxtrotting again. And of course, more initial dashes = more chances to trip.

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
Is that so for other characters?

Sonic's foxtrot distance is adjustable depending on how long you hold forward (short tap or "long" tap), and [I know that this is character specific] he can slide the foxtrot if you pull back on the control stick to a slight tilt.
I noticed this with Pit as well, you can do a really short foxtrot and therefore a shorter dashdance. However, it is really hard to do; about the same as neutral b-sticking.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yea I know what you mean. I use this for a quick evade into a grab. Its like the length of a half fox trot pivot. I have vids of me doing it against ppl...

Fade016

Smash Journeyman
why would you use marth's fsmash as an approach...?
For the same reason of using His Fsmash with wave dash in melee run towards then wave dash back fsmash. in Brawl trot dance toward them-trot away-they attack-dash dance back-shutter step-fsmash to punish there lag. Also as an approach for mindgames and because it is a fairly good attack. Mix it up a bit instead of just using Fairs and nairs as an apporach because Opponents will catch on fast. I also use this to evade attacks and then do a dash dance into Dancing blade which is very effective.

I agree with paintedghost That It really is useful for marth and It Gives him a unique style of play from other marths. I also agree that it is under used and slower than a melee dash dance but, mostly everything is slower in brawl.

Top Bottom