• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Although I do not have Brawl yet I have watched copious amounts of videos of it and am horrified by the presence of tripping and the lack of solutions to it. After explaining to people countless times that Ink dropping does not exist I began to wonder if possibly there is some other way to cancel it that we haven't tried yet. Has testing been done using different actions to possibly cancel it? Can it be teched out of with fast enough reflexes?

dotxhideki

Smash Rookie
Sorry for being a complete newb, but what exactly is tripping? I'm trying really hard to avoid spoilers, so I don't watch any Brawl matches on Youtube. Is tripping just the characters slipping on a banana peel or is it something more serious? Also, what's Ink dropping?

jasonw002

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seashell
3DS FC
4613-8751-4371
Tripping occurs randomly when initiating a dash. It just makes your character trip. You get some invincibilty frames but you end up lying on the ground until you do something again.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Ink Dropping is just tripping. Inky discovered it on the E for All demo day.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
It's also been said that there is about 1% chance of tripping each time you go into a dash or an attack. I'm currently not 100% sure about the attack as I've only heard of a few cases of people claiming to trip after they tried to do a standing attack.

Also theres no know way to stop tripping or reduce the chance.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
I think there are more factors than just luck. One guy said he'd been playing Brawl for six hours and hadn't encountered any tripping, while another tripped every 10 minutes.

Chicobo329

Smash Cadet
Ness's down tilt (and Lucas's, though it doesn't work quite as well) have a high chance of forcing a trip. Obviously Diddy's bananas also trip. I don't know of any other moves that trip. Trips look interesting because it seems to force you out of your rhythm and it seems to affect anybody without prejudice.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I dunno. It's unclear to me whether random tripping will destroy competitive brawl or not. I've seen a video on youtube of a guy getting wasted just because he tripped. but I wonder if with faster reflexes and the invinsibility frames you could roll out of it fast enough to avoid being punished. I guess time will tell either way

xenero

Smash Apprentice
Most people roll right into their opponent's FSmash (From the videos I've seen anyways) it's not free hits unless you're Falco and you use his laser.

MasterKoga

Smash Cadet
why must everyone care about tripping so much? it's about as important as fruitcake. Sure, your combo will break once in a while, but it isn't so frequent that anyone should care.

RaekNeSS

Smash Cadet
lol it seems like a pointless addition to me... I don't know why they would add it... oh well i guess we'll have to see how it actually affects the gameplay

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Zelda's D-tilt can trip you (did it yesterday in Training Mode). Yes, it is random. No, there's nothing to do except simply not dashing.

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
The invincibility frames come during the actual tripping animation. Once you're on your butt, you're prone. If the Olimar player was fast enough, hopefully he could've rolled back out of the way. Still sucks though.

But speaking of which... does rolling out of a trip give you invincibility had normal roll dodges?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hxsoktirZA&feature=related

It looks like you still get invincibility frames from getting up after a trip. I can only assume this is the same for random and induced trips. Judging by the videos I think it's pretty likely that with reasonable reflexes you should be able to escape from a random trip without punishment assuming you weren't already dashing into another character's charging attack. That being said it still completly screws over whatever offensive move you were attempting which sucks. I think induced tripping however is an interesting add. If nothing else it makes moves that would otherwise be practically useless atleast potentiall useful. I hope that the pros will learn to deal with tripping in time.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
Ness's down tilt (and Lucas's, though it doesn't work quite as well) have a high chance of forcing a trip. Obviously Diddy's bananas also trip. I don't know of any other moves that trip. Trips look interesting because it seems to force you out of your rhythm and it seems to affect anybody without prejudice.
As far as I can tell, at least half the cast can induce trips with their down-tilt, many of which being characters that have some sort of leg swipe. A lot of the ones that I haven't seen that happen for tend to have higher knockback or other purposes for the attack.

Top Bottom