• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping: Is it TRULY that annoying?

kenhead

Smash Apprentice
Yea tripping TRUELY is that annoying. We should make a group of people that complain to nintendo about tripping until they make a new brawl without tripping and why not add a good final destination without sucky edges. jk lol. that's dumm, but tripping does suck real bad.

Jacob the JesusFreak

Smash Rookie
If it really is that annoying and that much of a factor go play melee.

You guys really know how to complain. It is still a competitive game. (oh yeah, hyrule is an awesome map)

Sturnip

Smash Rookie
Yea tripping TRUELY is that annoying. We should make a group of people that complain to nintendo about tripping until they make a new brawl without tripping and why not add a good final destination without sucky edges. jk lol. that's dumm, but tripping does suck real bad.
I agree, tripping sucks. I've been in matches determined by tripping before.

(A new FD isn't that dumb, as that little alcove under the ledge has killed me a few times. But, we can always make our own FD right?)

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
Whoever thought up of the idea of tripping should had been let go from the production team.
Yes, it REALLY IS that annoying. Almost every Foxtrot/Dash Dance I do is broken by a trip, why is this a necessary part of gameplay?
Its already hard to combo in Brawl and sometimes even those are stopped by a trip.
Imagine this: Tournament Finals, Last stock, Both players at over 100%, Player A initiates the start of a successful combo on Player B, Player A trips, Player B punishes trip and wins.
Tripping in my opinion was a countermeasure to competitive Brawl.
Tripping FTL

come on its not that bad, I mean its a mind game in its own.
Yeah, its your Wii mindgaming the players.

Johnny Smash

Smash Cadet
It doesn't bother me too much... you want to complain about randomness in a competetive game then play a little Magic: The Gathering Online and get manascrewed a few times. That kind of randomness will actually get you knocked out of a tournament and can happen easily and completely decide a game or match.

How often will a trip change the outcome of a match? One in one hundred matches? More? Still hasn't affected a match for me in a signifigant way at all.

I think tripping is funny when you're playing casual free-for-all games which are all about random things happening. In fact with all the items and people flying around it's more likely to culminate in a "Oh crap I tripped!" moment that can be pretty hilarious.

In competetive play tripping is bad, but not game-breaking. If they allowed you to turn it off, that would probably please everyone, but the movement system is the movement system and they don't really let you mess with it.

Overall I don't really care that tripping is in the game.

Johnny Smash

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, anyone think tripping might have been put in as a catch-all to punish techniques that abuse the movement system like foxtrotting or squirtle's shellshifting?

Attractive Penguin

Smash Apprentice
Imagine this: Tournament Finals, Last stock, Both players at over 100%, Player A initiates the start of a successful combo on Player B, Player A trips, Player B punishes trip and wins.
Because that'll happen in every finals match.
Tripping is in. Get over it or gb2melee. They're not going to make Brawl: Tournament Edition for all your whiners, no matter how much you beg to get your old glitches back in the game.

oncearunner

Smash Apprentice
Tripping is only annoying when I get punished for it. Which is not often at this point.
I have had it only affect me once during a match. Im not sure what happened, i tripped, and he KOd me for the win.

Tripping is not random at all. It was designed to give more realism to the game.

If you dont run around, back and forth, back and forth, you wont trip, as have not in a long time.

TheMadShrew

Smash Cadet
Tripping aint coo, and there is honestly no reason (let alone a good reason) whatsoever to include it in a game like this. Just the thought of putting in a tripping "system" is absolutely ********.

But that being said, its in whether we like it or not, and honestly in my experiences it hasn't done all too much bad or good. I would say trips have saved me just as much as they have hurt my game, so i feel more or less indifferent to it at this point. Given time, or maybe a particularly intense round (or tourney round) where tripping loses me the match, i will probably change my stance from "eh" to "WHAT THE ****". But till then...

Pen2

Smash Cadet
I love Nintendo but this feels like a slap in the face to everyone who was anticipating to play this game competitively.

Tripping is not good in any way! I avoid it more frequently by keeping my game in the air as much as possible but I doubt this is the outcome that anyone was hoping to achieve by puting this in SSBB.

Tripping is not skill (unless your character performs this on another such as Falco's shine), it's a random reassurance. that can be considered luck or the lack of luck; it's not justifiable or clever, but may be a little cute.

The only reason there was even a SSBB because of the competitive play of melee. We gave sales to this game and made blossom into something more than it was expected. Fact of the matter is that for competitive play < this is a completely random move set that will stir up tons of upsets either good or bad.

Its pointless to even add such a feature. Whats the point? To get someone upset about losing 100 dollar tournament because they were dead on with there baseball bat to the face but yet to lose because the person TRIPPED? Give me a break. Nintendo failed horribly adding this feature in. Without it there wouldn't be this ridiculous discussion that so abruptly upsets me.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
absolutely it's annoying

I don't want some random factor to give my opponent a free hit. Especially if it knocks me off. It's like, why practice and try to get better when something so random can trump all that?

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I don't know what Sakurai was thinking when he wanted to add tripping into the game, does he even play Smash? Random tripping in a fighting game is a moronic idea. You don't trip while 8-Way running in Soul Calibur, you don't randomly trip in Street Fighter III: 3S while dashing, nor can you trip in King of Fighters while you run across the screen to attack.

Sure, it's Smash Bros so it's not as serious, it's a more light hearted fighter, but no fighting game should give cause to anything random like that. It takes away the high level competitive play aspect and gives rise to lesser smashers winning games they didn't deserve to win.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
The only reason there was even a SSBB because of the competitive play of melee. We gave sales to this game and made blossom into something more than it was expected. Fact of the matter is that for competitive play < this is a completely random move set that will stir up tons of upsets either good or bad.

Its pointless to even add such a feature. Whats the point? To get someone upset about losing 100 dollar tournament because they were dead on with there baseball bat to the face but yet to lose because the person TRIPPED? Give me a break. Nintendo failed horribly adding this feature in. Without it there wouldn't be this ridiculous discussion that so abruptly upsets me.
Wow ok two things...

1. Brawl was NOT aimed at professionals, nor was melee. The tournament scence contributed to sales yes but everything being thrown in was FOR casual, family play (come on why the hell else would you want to see snake running around blowing fire while wearing bunny ears?). Being able to turn things off is what made tournament play possible.

2. If you guys would stop complaining about it so much, you'd see that falling flat on your *** in hilarious. It was put in because Smash was never intended for competitve play, it just happens to be very popular in that aspect.

You guys are never going to be happy and you're always going to find something to complain about. Accept it for what it is and go on with life...

Aqueus

Smash Cadet
2. If you guys would stop complaining about it so much, you'd see that falling flat on your *** in hilarious. It was put in because Smash was never intended for competitve play, it just happens to be very popular in that aspect.

I've never found tripping to be entertaining. Ever. Not when it happens to my opponent, not when it happens to me, especially not when it happens in Boss Battles.

I don't want tripping. I've gone through a few matches tripping SEVERAL times. That's stupid. Tripping should be like lightning striking, you should see it happen few and far between. Not a staple in each match.

As it was stated earlier. It's stupid to see these characters randomly begin tripping. Mario hasn't tripped over his own feet in any games I've ever played. Samus offers the same stability. Other characters just make no sense tripping. Pikachu and DK run on ALL FOURS, how can they possibly trip?!

Blarg. Whatever. Tripping is in, and god does it pain me.

Psychicmind

Smash Rookie
You know what sucks? Tripping twice within the first thirty seconds of the match. What also sucks is how I trip the most between the people I play against and I am the best between all of us. It once cost me the match. I was about to attack someone with a high damage, but then I tripped. I rolled out of it, but the fact that I didn't kill them allowed them to win the match.

Attractive Penguin

Smash Apprentice
AHAHAHAHAHAHA
Get over yourself.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I've never found tripping to be entertaining. Ever. Not when it happens to my opponent, not when it happens to me, especially not when it happens in Boss Battles.

I don't want tripping. I've gone through a few matches tripping SEVERAL times. That's stupid. Tripping should be like lightning striking, you should see it happen few and far between. Not a staple in each match.

As it was stated earlier. It's stupid to see these characters randomly begin tripping. Mario hasn't tripped over his own feet in any games I've ever played. Samus offers the same stability. Other characters just make no sense tripping. Pikachu and DK run on ALL FOURS, how can they possibly trip?!

Blarg. Whatever. Tripping is in, and god does it pain me.
Professionals = think it's all about them XD

I laugh at people who are going to complain about something that can potentially hinder their ability to win a match...

Lightmaster

Smash Rookie
I'm not letting go of Brawl because of tripping. It's s insignificant in the long run, because I'll bet my left *** the ones who say they don't like it still play Brawl as if it didn't exist.

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
Tripping is in. Get over it or gb2melee. They're not going to make Brawl: Tournament Edition for all your whiners, no matter how much you beg to get your old glitches back in the game.
Well, well. . .

1) I said "Imagine this", not "This is whats going to happen in every match". Hypothetical situation, get it right.

2) I'm not begging for Brawl to be changed, I'm sharing my opinion. Brawl is fine the way it is for the game that it currently is.

3) Stop being dumb, I made no statement saying that I wanted all of the old ATs in, your elitist posts do not make you sound smart.

As for tripping being a competitive countermeasure I was stating a fact, nothing more.

Sy3

Smash Cadet
It's really not that big of a problem for me, and Ive never actually been KO'd because of it, because I always immediately roll out of it.

Tripping isnt bad, it's just a minor nuissance that we have got to live with for many years to come.
Personally i'm getting used to it, and yes, i have gotten saves a few times from it also.
Im sure a year from now we'll all know how to react to it asap and it will be like nothing.

Aesir

Smash Master
Tripping is bad..>_>

It adds nothing to the game, it's just a ******** element of the game. Kills the momentum of a match especially during those times you get a come back then you trip and it's gone.

Way to go Sakurai I sometimes wonder if sakurai was that guy who always got ***** in every game he played. Looking at how brawl is and how everything seems to work right now I'm willing to bet he was that kid.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cd0hj2pCTog

1:44, tripping costs DK a stock. I realize the match was a bit one-sided (not much DK can do against D3's infinites), but seriously... getting a stock stolen from you just plain sucks. There was NOTHING DK could have done in this situation-- D3's utilt has a big hitbox over him, it would have connected no matter which way DK rolled.

Arashi

Smash Cadet
No one is crying here, just talking about how flawed they believe tripping is. Funny, you start a topic about it and complain about people complaining about it. Not everyone was lucky for tripping to save them from running into an attack like you. It's usually tripping that causes them to get hit by an attack that otherwise would've missed.

Smash and Pokémon are very different types of games. One is a [non-standard] fighting game where luck elements usually don't factor the game play, where another is a RPG where luck factors tend to be common place. I don't even wanna get started on how unlucky I tend to get in Pokémon. If you're gonna back up your point, at least make a more valid comparison.
Well put.

Tripping hasn't caused me too many problems, though I do it all the time. It has, however, resulted in my misfortune (e.g., falling into an opponent's attack, cancelling a combo, stopping me from effectively edge-guarding).

Corigames

Smash Hero
If tripping is the sole reason for me to lose one life, then it should have never been put in. He says himself that he doesn't want a game where people only have memories of defeat, yet he goes and does something that makes people unlucky lose frequently. Tripping isn't something you can do on command either, so you can't reverse engineer it into something good.

I have lost too many stocks to tripping for me to ever like it.

Fletch

Smash Master
I have lost too many stocks to tripping for me to ever like it.
I'm beginning to feel the same way, tripping has way more of an effect than I thought it would and has cost me countless stocks already... Seriously, who came up with this awful idea and let it stay in the game?

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
Unless I'm mistaken, I'm sure there were times I tripped from attempting to do a fsmash or even just walking. :urg:

Just that last statement alone makes it sound like you know very little of competitive Smash. When has anyone anywhere in this thread said anything about Melee techniques that didn't make it into Brawl? Also, when has anyone said anything about quitting Brawl because of tripping alone? You don't have to compare Brawl to Melee, or even other fighting games, to see that tripping is a flawed feature in competitive play. Even with an 1% chance, some people tend to have worse luck then others.

giantimi

Smash Cadet
I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to see that tripping is a flawed element of the game (for competitive purposes). If something works against you and you can't predict when it's going to happen, how is that good thing?

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
yea I can see the future now. A very good player vs a a very good player. It is the final match and money is at stake. They play each other till the last stock. One trips and the other capitalizes and wins. Tripping does indeed suck.

-Hoggle-

Smash Journeyman
In terms of being annoying no hit stun > tripping, but to be honest that still doesn't change the fact that tripping is useless and stupid.

Top Bottom