• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Translating the Latin lyrics

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
?!?!?!?!? eh... this is gonna take time! opera is already hard to understand! but now, it's in Latin!
-.-" :urg: Did I say, "be back later"? sorry, I meant "much later", even "later to the point where the translation will already be released." Hopefully not that late...

D

Deleted member

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo...ssage.id=235785&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Meh, this is crazy but still...

0:09 - "All in my heart, it is good"
0:14 - I think it say something along the lines of "so what could posible be, in the name of 'zembabe'"
0:23 - "All in my heart, it is good"
0:29 - something like "realy bad men"
0:43 - "Hevean is for the evils"
0:49 - "He(')ll is for evils"
0:55 - "Hevean and Evil speak for '????'"
1:01 - "Heeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllll"
1:04 - "he(')ll, it is for me"
1:08 - "Heeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllll"
1:11 - Hard to hear, something like 'Hevean is for these small, she is for me'
1:20 - Think it say "we forget, we forget, where we are"
1:25 - "Heaven is calling you"

This is the best someone got. Bear in mind it is hard to decipher another language in a song. And it certainly feels like OWA.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
... really... I got something about---

a killing (or annihilation), yet one who could't be killed (steadfast, unshaken).

This was only one verse (from the part where there was no background music... 1:12-1:23)
Still a lot of blanks to be filled, though, and some very different words have very similar pronunciations... ^__^" Don't take my word for it YET. Give me more time...

WindGuru- i'll look into that translation... that might be it, but who knows... who translated it?!?!? I'll have to talk w/him... Who is this MEGA_META_KNIGHT ?

Dragon Jedi0

Smash Rookie
qdMbp said:
Your... blood tells ya that, hmm?
Duh, I was insinuating that I have years of musicianship to know exactly what the feel of the music is. With my mother's translation of "Thank you" and "Night" and my 20 years of studying music styles, I got the feeling that the song is speaking of an honorable fight between friends whose power resembles that of "The Day VS The Night" analogy used in myths and legends. I could be wrong though >.>

D

Deleted member

*was waiting for something like that*

Anyway, which ever way you hear it, there's definately a fighting pair in it (light vs. dark etc). Perhaps Nintendo can be so good as to release the official translation?

Rumikun

Smash Apprentice
phanna said:
lol @ "latin being pronounced improperly"

News flash: Nobody knows how it's supposed to be pronounced. Scholars just made their best guesses and agreed on some general rules. See: INRI (Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Ivdaeorvm)

Anyways, the entire point of singing in latin is to enjoy the sound of the vocals, and not fret over decoding the actual message. See: Corn on the Kabob

The music is a win. If you translate it, it will take away its mystery, so bugger that.

xD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @ Corn on the cob!!!111!!!11eleventy-one11!!!1
That was hilarious :laugh:

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
Well... since "mr. I want it now" wants it now (j/k), i'll put this. Not much, but anyway-
From 1:12-1:23 --- I think it says-

Occis non nihil violens ...something, something... immodeste (or immortuus) (or immotus) mea.
Which translates (non-confirmed)-
Occis- killing
Non Nihil- a considerable amount, quite a lot, to a considerable extent
Violens- violently
Immmodeste- shamelessly
Mea- I don't know...

(Immortuus- to die in)
(Immotus- unmoved, unshaken, steadfast)

So, maybe- "Killing of a considerable ammount violently and shamelessly" or something else. Remember the missing words clued by "something, something"

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
asianpride3491 said:
Could that mean that Nobuo wants us to kill shamelessly and violently?
omgosh... HAHAHAHA!!! that made laugh so much, i'm not kidding... but anyway, no :p

It could mean- a mass annihilation of the innocent, and the next part (1:23-end) talks about a hero who is the "unshaken" or the "steadfast" one (or maybe a group of them).

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Mea, i think, is the feminine form of the adjective Meus which is "My".

But by listening, can you tell wether it's Classical of Gregorian Latin?
If the ever make the CH shound then it's definitely Gregorian.

I've had three years of Latin in High School. And just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how much you've studied it. But if you know the language well enough to identify words aurally, I've probably got nothin on you.

Anyway, If you have any questions about case endings and such, I'd be glad to help.
I just hope it doesn't integrate a bunch of subjuctives and difficult verb tenses.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
Resting_Fox said:
Mea, i think, is the feminine form of the adjective Meus which is "My".

But by listening, can you tell wether it's Classical of Gregorian Latin?
If the ever make the CH shound then it's definitely Gregorian.

I've had three years of Latin in High School. And just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how much you've studied it. But if you know the language well enough to identify words aurally, I've probably got nothin on you.

Anyway, If you have any questions about case endings and such, I'd be glad to help.
I just hope it doesn't integrate a bunch of subjuctives and difficult verb tenses.
Hey. Well, I've take Latin for about three years (6th grade school year, then throughout the entire summer, then again in seventh grade... so, maybe 2 and a half years. I still review every now and then. I'm in eighth grade now. Don't think I'm too young for this, k? ^__^). I know the conjugations and declensions and other stuff...
No, I'm not good enough to "identify words aurally".
So, I guess you probably got something on me (?:confused:).
Did you listen to the song carefully? oh, btw, the "cc" in "occis" is pronounced ch.
Talk to you later. k...

parvus

Smash Apprentice
sry bout teh double post but ive semi got a translation for the first line: Occis non nihil violens.
i dunno wat "occis" means, but "occidis" is you kill, not the latter. non nihil violens: the "non" may relate to "occis", and "violens" looks like a present participle, meaning abusing or harming! "Nihil" means nothing. since violens in nominative, it must agree with "you" in the verb occis.

so altogether:

harming nothing, you do not _____...

thats all for the time being...

LSM

Smash Rookie
here it is transalated:

0:09 - "All in my heart, it is good"
0:14 - I think it say something along the lines of "so what could posible be, in the name of 'zembabe'"
0:23 - "All in my heart, it is good"
0:29 - something like "realy bad men"
0:43 - "Hevean is for the evils"
0:49 - "He(')ll is for evils"
0:55 - "Hevean and Evil speak for '????'"
1:01 - "Heeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllll"
1:04 - "he(')ll, it is for me"
1:08 - "Heeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllll"
1:11 - Hard to hear, something like 'Hevean is for these small, she is for me'
1:20 - Think it say "we forget, we forget, where we are"
1:25 - "Heaven is calling you

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
OnYourMark said:
Well... since "mr. I want it now" wants it now (j/k), i'll put this. Not much, but anyway-
From 1:12-1:23 --- I think it says-

Occis non nihil violens ...something, something... immodeste (or immortuus) (or immotus) mea.
Which translates (non-confirmed)-
Occis- killing
Non Nihil- a considerable amount, quite a lot, to a considerable extent
Violens- violently
Immmodeste- shamelessly
Mea- I don't know...

(Immortuus- to die in)
(Immotus- unmoved, unshaken, steadfast)

So, maybe- "Killing of a considerable ammount violently and shamelessly" or something else. Remember the missing words clued by "something, something"

Well... it surely DOES change the mood of the game.

Marce

Smash Rookie
Hydde said:
but what about songs like "DK rap" and the alternate song from Final destination, which is a progressive rock arrangement of the original Melee orchestrated intro?....
there once was an opera called jesus christ superstar and it was written for an ORCHESTRA, but this orchestra included a guy on drumset an electric guitar and bass guitar and i think maybe a synthasizer. you can have anything in an orchestra it is just that you dont often need to have a guy on synth

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
Hey... does anyone know what the ending "-onis" does to the base "occisi-"? As opposed to the ending "-o" ...anyway, I noticed that the first several syllables of the lines that I am translating could be several different Latin words-

~Occionis,
~Occis non nihil,
~Ocissime [that is, the superlative form of ocius (more quickly; more easily)]

I know that they're different, but I need someone to help me with listening to (and trancribing!!!) the song! That is the most difficult part... translating is relatively easy, right? HELP! please...?

:veryconfu anyone?

EDIT: did I say superlative?? most*

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
Now the translations of the lyrics are starting to get a little absurd...That's the problem and badly translated and pronounced Latin...Oh well...We'll get it one day...

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Bad diction makes any language hard to pronounce. I am just gonna stick with Rob the Hotdog till someone gets the official lyrics XD.

TTemp

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you guys are......really into this game. I mean, I would be continuing to erfect my Melee skills, since the controls are the same, rather than work on the theme song, which will most likely have the lyrics printed in the instruction booklet for the game when it's launched. I sincerely doubt any secret message exists, but I'm not you, so I guess I can't make the decisions for you. Have fun translating the worlds most annoying language, I'll spent my time getting better than you at this game lol...

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
ChozoBoy said:
If any of you are still taking classes, why not show the song to your teacher/professor?
b/c my Latin teacher doesn't speak fluent Latin... You know, I think more people speak fluent Sindarin and Quenya than Latin... :laugh: (not that funny...).

If you don't know what Sindarin and Quenya are, look on the Encyclopedia of Arda...HERE...

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
People who think that translating the lyrics is a waste of time can keep it to themselves instead of boasting it in a post SPECIFICALLY made for translating lyrics. All you're doing is trying to boost your ego. :mad:

Anyway...My school is relaly sad. It participates in Latin SPEAKING COMPETITIONS! So I might be able to get the teacher in charge to look at it...But since I have exams that won't be for another week or so...

=TF=Omega

Smash Cadet
Kris2476 said:
No one needs to translate the song, it is obvious that it is all in English.

If you don't believe me, go here: http://robthehotdog.ytmnd.com/
I love it!! :laugh: :laugh:

Forgive me for being the Star Wars fanboy, but speaking of Latin lyrics and singing, you can't forget to mention the original:

http://duelofthecorn.ytmnd.com/

God, I love both those songs!! They're just both so intense!!

For some reason, whenever I listen to them now I get hungry, though.

Hmmmm :lick:

Marce

Smash Rookie
OnYourMark said:
b/c my Latin teacher doesn't speak fluent Latin... You know, I think more people speak fluent Sindarin and Quenya than Latin... :laugh: (not that funny...).

If you don't know what Sindarin and Quenya are, look on the Encyclopedia of Arda...HERE...
well the entire population of romania speaks (almost) latin...but i suppose that there are alot of scientist and language nerds out there....oh and the holy see speaks actual latin...so thats something

PZX2DN4F

Smash Apprentice
I can't listen to the song anymore without hearing the text from Rob the hot dog. **** you Rob!!!
EDIT: Forgot the dog in "Rob the hot dog".

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
I speak Latin, but I don't know if I can understand anything from the song since the way they sing the lyrics makes it hard to really listen to the lyrics. But I'll try right away.

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
Well if its not a verb its singular genetive of occido, occidonis methinks if that is a noun...I thought it was a verb but never mind...

Centaur

Smash Rookie
Original lyrics Translation
Alii fama (0:09 - 0:12)

id diu (0:12 - 0:15)
solisque os is ibi (0:16 - 0:18)
et per dies de (f)agi (0:18 - 0:22)
Alifama (0:22 - 0:25)
id diu (0:25 - 0:28)
et ludi cretae (0:28 - 0:31)
et per theatralis puer (0:31 - 0:34)
oner frater vidi os (0:35 - 0:41)
oni frater vidi os (0:41 - 0:47)
deesse fortibus (0:47 - 0:50)
viri forte (0:50 - 0:54)
laedo convivos vige (0:50 - 0:57)
volde vige (0:57 - 1:04)
Ascendit a! (1:04 - 1:10)
Ascendit is (1:10 - 1:13)
oh gi sunt mi (1:13 - 1:16)
Qui alii fer tres (1:17 - 1:20)
vivo lis que a (1:21 - 1:25)
theatris a tanto (1:27 - 1:29)
coeo iam do (1:29 - 1:32)
tres mendo fratri! (1:32 - 1:39)

Other news of fame

that takes a long time
from the light of expression
and through the day down from the tree

Another reputation builds
a long wait for them
and to play out of clay
and through the child theatre

See the expresion of the brother and trouble them
See the expreson of the brother and bring pain to them

Failure turns into courage
From courage comes a soldier

That soldier shall strike with power!!

He pursues higer, and higher

"Oh, they are mine now!"

"Who are you to fight through my 3 lives from which I have gained?"

"From the greatness of the theatre"

"Go now and give!"

"I surrender my 3 lives to my brothers!"

this is from http://www.nintendopedia.org/index.php?title=Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl#Theme_Song_Lyrics

Top Bottom