• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transformation time

ulzimate

Smash Rookie
Is there a way to cancel the transformation time? I've done it a few times randomly, which always caught me by surprise, but I can't do it consistently.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You cancel the transformation time by miraculously making your Wii load the character faster.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
I read in the tactical discussion that loading two dummy characters as Sheik and Zelda will make the transformation twice as fast.

...someone said that it might be tournament viable to load up two dummy characters, have a mod kill the dummy character's 3 lives off and then pause the game. Then, when the two players were ready, the pause would be almost exactly like the startup of a regular match, and then the Zelda/sheik player would be able to freely use their transform with less lag.

, its kind of a ludicrous solution to a problem, and I doubt it will EVER be used in tourneys...BUT since characters are loaded at the start, if you load the Zelda and Sheik models at the start and then kill them off, the game wont have to load so long between transforms to get the other model, since it's already loaded.

...still kind of stupid that you'd have to resort to this. Another simple overlooking of the game designers that I hope they can patch.

ulzimate

Smash Rookie
I was thinking that the transformation time was increased so you couldn't abuse Zelda's longer teleport while trying to recover as Sheik.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
■The disc starts preparing to load your brawl from the character-selection screen. So when choosing a color for your character, try to pick the color you like and stay with it instead of running through color selections by hammering the buttons. Doing so will reduce the amount of time it takes the stage to load.
You could possibly just make an extra, set it to Zelda, then close it and reduce load time.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Experimental Test :

Done in a multi-person brawl with a dummy 2nd player.

First test (Baseline) : Zelda first costume, vs. Toon link, no added computers, on Final D. time was counted in my head from the second I hit Down+B on my controller (using a wavebird)

1) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 4 seconds

2) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 3.5 sec.

3) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 3.5 sec.

4) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 3.5

5) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 4

6) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 3

7) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 4

8) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 3.5

9) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 4

10) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 3

Second Test : Picked Zelda vs toon Link again, and Buffered 2 dummy computers in the charatcer select creen, one as Zelda and one as Sheik, waited ten seconds then closed the computer slots and went to Final D

1) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 3.5

2) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 3.5

3) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 4

4) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 3

5) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 3.5

6) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 3

7) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 4

8) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 3

9) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 3

10) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 3

Third Test : Zelda vs Toon Link, final D , two computers, one as Zelda, one as Sheik

1) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 4

2) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 2.5

3) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 4

4) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 2.5

5) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 3.5

6) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 2.5

7) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 2.5

8) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 2

9) Zelda --> Sheik : Time = 3.5

10) Sheik --> Zelda : Time = 2.5

Obviously this is a shotty job at best, but what I can tell you from the sets and from what I've seen is that the buffering before hand in the load screen doesn't seem to make a big difference and in the end, even loading all of the characters...you're only saving yourself at MOST 1.5 seconds or there abouts.

so changing from Sheik --> Zelda seems faster , and the multiple comp characters definitely sped things up, but ultimately it's not that fast no matter how you look at it. Going from sheik to Zelda with full buffering is clearly faster however, almost twice as fast as the baseline.

the unfortunate part is that the practical applications of this in a fight are limited, but it does give you a decent chance of figuring out how far off the edge you have to knock your opponent off to make a safe transformation. the timing can still be variable however...

Comments/critiques / Questions / Flames ...whatever, post em up.

HeartNana

Smash Cadet
Interesting test. I wonder if there's gonna ever be a wii hard drive mod like there is with the PS2 or xbox where you can store the game on the machine's memory as opposed to the disk. That could increase load times for sure if it's not relying on a disk...

That's all a big "what if" though. Thanks for testing out how long it takes to transform exactly under those circumstances.

Its too bad cause transforming could be so much more practical if it wasnt so reliant on something so dumb.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Its too bad cause transforming could be so much more practical if it wasn't so reliant on something so dumb.
If I had a beer, I'd hold it up and salute that comment! Well said. (except I don't really drink Beer...Midori sours anyone?!?!)

...hopefully they'll be able to make improvements to the game though, with technology as it is, Nintendo can definitely do it, it just depends on whether or not Sakurai decides he wants to continue to screw over his most loyal fan base by pandering to the greater masses and their idea of "Fun"

I mean it just seems so random to not load both characters when its what they did before, something like that where its just clearly has NO REASON to be as it is...I hope he can patch that / will patch it.

(Thanks for the praise on my test, it wasn't anything too special though and the counting was done in my head, but to anyone who has seen it, you can visually see the difference in transformation time. I was at a friends house with 4 of us testing it earlier and everyone came to the same visual conclusion as what the test showed with the data. Also, we all had a ****ed good laugh when we had 4 Zeldas and we all simultaneously transformed into Sheik... 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 6 seconds, and 7 seconds. It was awesome...except in that it proved that the Wii is inept.)

Top Bottom