• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toys, Toys, Toys! The Toy General Discussion

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
A toy thread created by the guy with a Toy Story avatar. What are the odds? :rolleyes:

Welcome to the Toy General Discussion! As the name implies, anything related to toys goes here whether that's dolls and action figures from your childhood or collectible figures that you plan on purchasing in the near future. Posting images and links regarding the figure being described is fine. I noticed that a few users collect action figures and some are nostalgic about toys from their youth and this thread is meant to blend both groups into one.

For the sake of organization, take all amiibo discussions to the appropriate thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/amiibo-general-training-thread-wave-4-now-avaliable.384590/

Trading and selling of toys is forbidden and will not be tolerated under any circumstances. Links to certain websites regarding the figure in question, however, are permitted. Feel free to share images of your own personal collections.

Follow the Smash World Forums rules and remember...

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Nice! Finally a place to talk on how Im going to destroy my wallet by buying Tamashii Nations Figures!
:4wario2:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
*Looks at shelves, sees some ROF figures and that's it* ... I hate being poor.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I could be a troll and talk about amiibos.
Or I could talk about Sanei's Zelda/Mario plushies. I must say...they are good. There hasn't been plush toys of WW Zelda, Tingle or Rosalina before, and they look good too, so I have to say they're doing a really good job. :chuckle:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I guess I never really contributed my interests. Anyways, most members will know me for my Toy Story collection. My collection mostly includes close to screen-accurate replicas from the franchasie. One of which includes Thinkway's Toy Story Collection released around the time Toy Story 3 was set to premiere. The only characters cut from the line are Hamm, Twitch, and Big Baby all of which are odd choices for the line compared to Zurg, Bo Peep, Stinky Pete, etc.

Not shown in the picture that are also in this line include:
  • Jessie
  • Bullseye
  • Utility Belt Buzz Lightyear
  • Lotso
  • Dolly
  • Buttercup
  • Mr. Pricklepants
The only toys I still need are U.B. Buzz, Dolly, and Buttercup. It doesn't help that the line is pretty scarce as of late. Luckily, eBay and Amazon are available to remedy that. The toys may have some obvious inaccuracies but they still make good display pieces.

To coincide with Toy Story's 20th anniversary in November, the Japanese company Medicom is releasing a screen-accurate Woody doll in early December. It's easily the most accurate and detailed Woody doll to date. The TSC Woody is only second to it.

The figure stands 15" tall, comes with 3 interchangable heads, and contains armature to make him pose-able. The MSRP for hims is $380 but I found a site that's selling him for $315. Not that great but I'll wait until some other area has him for a better price. I'm also waiting for Buzz to be announced.

In addition to the main line of toys, I have boxed action figures from the first two films. I might sell the original Toy Story action figures later if they become collector's items. I'm hunting down eBay for the variants.
I could be a troll and talk about amiibos.
Or I could talk about Sanei's Zelda/Mario plushies. I must say...they are good. There hasn't been plush toys of WW Zelda, Tingle or Rosalina before, and they look good too, so I have to say they're doing a really good job. :chuckle:
Have you seen the cool Nintendo Nendoroids? They manage to make Mario and Luigi pretty cute. :laugh:

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Well, in my case s many know I focus on S.H. Figuarts, specially on the Sailor Moon line

My first figure was a bootleg, after that bad experience I found an official distributor in my state

This was my first official figure, Sailor Venus S.H. Figuarts, it costed me $545 MXN/$35.20 USD

Second one, Sailor Mars S.H. Figuarts, still wating for its arrival, cost $650 MXN/$42 USD

Third one; Sailor V S.H. Figuarts, its going to cost me $750 MXN/$48.40 USD becuse is a limited edition

And Im waiting for the preorders of this one

Now I have a focus on figmas of Goodsmile Company, specially on Figma Lucina and Figma Saber 2.0 + Golden Frieza from Tamashii

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
My room's nothing but toys, but that's okay because I've always been interested in them. I mainly collect stuff like MLP and some plushies & figurines of Nintendo characters. And if they count, I've also been recently collecting some Disney Infinity figurines. I only own three of them, but my collection will grow eventually.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
I loved toys when I was a kid. I still do, but I don't purchase as much as I used to. (well, of course. When you were a kid, you would annoy the heck out of your parents until they had enough and give you what you want XD)

I remember I had a lot of stuffed animals. Most of which were from Beanie Babbies and Webkinz. I think I even had a large stuffed animal of Zoboomafoo XD. I also remembered getting a lot of toys from those Happy Meals at McDonalds. I even had a large box of where I kept all of those dang things. I have no idea where they went though :(

But one of my favorite toy lines were definitely those Bionicles. Man, I remembered when I saw them on TV and they looked SO cool! Unfortunately, my parents didn't let me buy a lot of these guys so I mostly stick to the Fire Elemental guys. But hey, at least I have the limited edition Mata Nui set! I remembered I saved up for that guy and seeing him at Toys R Us right in front of my excited little eyes. I remembered the look of "Whoa" from the other kids when I was walking down the hall to purchase my brand new toy!

But my favorite toy hands down goes to my Turtwig plush. I loved that thing so much. I would play with it like, everyday. I remember I would record a series of videos using my mom's phone staring Turtwig and my other plushies. It was called "The Adventures of Turtwig." I know. The most original name. I gave Turtwig a backstory, a family, heck, I even wrote a little book. Don't expect anything fancy from it, I was just a kid who loved toys. Even though I don't play with my toys anymore and I collect figures and amiibos now, that little toybox that's tucked into the corner of my room contains many great memories :)

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
I want the D Arts Mewtwo and put a spoon in his hands. :4mewtwo:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Figmas and Nendoroids I want:
-Spider-Man
-Archer

... but yeah, poor

Twewy

Smash Lord
I just got a Pac-Man amiibo, does that count as a toy?

Also, Frank West from Dead Rising needs a figure badly. I would pay whatever for one just so I could cover wars on my desk.

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
Recently picked up this beast:

The I-Rex is fairly decent, especially compared to other releases in the line. I like how the dino-damage can actually be covered up. Unfortunately, the left side of the figure is covered in screw-holes. Apparently most of the JW dinosaurs have them. I miss when JP dinosaurs were made out of rubber. Oh, and they gave him lipstick. Don't ask me why.

Didn't open the Gyrosphere or the human figure yet.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
For a cheap $10 plush, Angel Kitty is surprisingly hard to find at ToysRus! Each time she is in stock on the website, she's gone within the next ten minutes. I think I'm going to have to drive to the place.

I didn't post this earlier but on another forum, I made a review of a rare Japanese Woody doll I bought for my birthday.
http://pixarplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14361

Initially, I've lost all motivation to write a new review but would anyone want to see a similar one for the Tokyo Disney Resort edition of the same doll. Other than the color, there are few differences between the two dolls.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I can't wait to tell you guys how beautiful my Power Ranger collection is

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
This is my massive collection of figures
DSC03255.JPG

Im planning to buy Sailor Jupiter in the near future while I wait for my Sailor V Figuarts

I also have a lot of WWE Ruthless Aggression figures from Jakks Pacific, but now I don't have space to show them.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I remember, as a kid, I had this fat (Kanto Saga) Pikachu toy that had a string slightly below its tail. And whenever you'd pull it all the way, it would vibrate, as if it were "shocking" you.
I also had this koala I got from Build-a-Bear Workshop that I named Yoshi because, well, I was a huge fan of Yoshi at the time, needless to say.
I have no idea where they are now. They've probably been recycled into something useful...

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Sorry I haven't been updating this thread as much as I wanted to. I've been busy these past few weeks.

I'm in such a dilemma with Prospector right now. At first I wanted to spend roughly $25 for a 8 inch plush of Stinky Pete for my Toy Story collection. While he's nowhere near accurate, he is pretty affordable and I would have bought him if...

...it wasn't for this Prospector doll from the one Japanese seller I've been buying from:

He's the most accurate (color-wise) and he is the one I'm interested in the most. The major problem is that the current listing is at $1,200 and I'm worried that the seller won't list it at a discounted price. I'm wondering if I should wait a few weeks until a find it at a discounted price or to just ignore it entirely.

I think I'm going to buy the Star Bean plush first to have a decent placeholder.

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I adore plush toys. I am almost 28 years old. Glad I have a husband who is supportive of me plush collecting. I was so worried no one will accept me for my likes and will be seen as a woman-child.

I go to Nintendo World Store in NYC occasionally. I recently bought Polterpup from Luigi's Mansion 2:Dark Moon and this set of adorable Pikachu:

http://www.pokemoncenter.com/Perfect-Pair-Pikachu-Plush-Standard/dp/B00RYA0JZ0

I wrote in the heart my husband's and my name as those Pikachu will represent each of us.

I have a lot of official Mario plush and some Pokemon plush.

I am pretty sure I have every single Official Disney Store Wreck-It Ralph plush released for the U.S. stores as I like that movie so much and desire to support it in every way I can. Also I got the Limited Edition Calhoun doll. Need to represent the core four in some way in that movie and she sadly does not have an official plush so an expensive doll is the way to go.

I will jump on the opportunity to grab official Splatoon related plush. The squid form plush is fine and all but I really want the humanoid forms of the Inklings both male and female and Marie and Callie. I may cave soon and make my own if they do not deliver. I am not sure if they count for this topic but I do sew my own plush though lately I barely have enough motivation to sew plush.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Until this thread picks up some steam, I'm going to post a few of the announced exclusives at the San Diego Comic-Con this year. Due to the great amount of exclusives being released, I will be highlighting only a small fraction of figures that are relatively significant or just caught my interest. I will link to a source that provide a full list of exclusives at the event.

Chief Beifong Statue

Exclusively at the Nickelodeon Booth at SDCC, fans are able to purchase a 12” statue of Chief Beifong from the Legend of Korra. Obviously, the figure will be an instant seller due the series’ popularity.

Mattel's Wonder Woman

This is an interesting figure from Mattel, considering its detraction away from the usual Barbie style. Believe it or not, Wonder Woman is a part of a planned Barbie line that also includes Superman and Batman. It stands at around 12" and is based off of Gal Gadot's depiction of Wonder Woman.

Kidrobot's Mega Man and Proto Man

Kidrobot's Mega Man and Proto Man are set to be priced at $49.99. These 7" vinyl figures are a continuation of Kidrobot's collaboration with Capcom which produces Street Fighter and Mega Man figures.

Hasbro's Star Wars The Force Awakens Stormtrooper

And for my personal favorite (and around the cheapest for $29.99), Hasbro's 6" Stormtrooper depicts the upgraded armor of the famous Imperial soldiers ready for their premiere in the latest film in the franchise. Many Star Wars fans were eagerly awaiting news regarding merchandise from the film.
You can see images of the unboxing here: http://www.businessinsider.com/star...irst-order-stormtrooper-sdcc-san-diego-2015-7

Link to all toy exclusives present at SDCC:
http://www.ign.com/wikis/sdcc-comic-con/Comic-Con_2015_Toy_Exclusives

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
The competition is real, first it was Sakura and now is Bruce Lee

Tamashii Nations and Goodsmile company are releasing individual figures of the Martial Arts Legend to celebrate his 75th Birthday

First we have the figma

Release Date: November 2015

And here's the S.H. Figuarts

Release Date: January 2016

Both figures look great, but this time Tamashii got the edge; their figure looks more natural than the figma and the expressions are spot on.
GS on the other hand looks like they grabbed a generic body and did a lazy job with the hair, which is surprising from them because they can do really accurate figures. But in their defense they may decided to take a more cartoonish approach, still, Bandai and Tamashii get the win.

Actually Tamashii put a lot of effort on their's by capturing Bruce's expressions with computer programs to make the face plates of the figure with more accuracy

You can check that figure here:
http://tamashii.jp/special/brucelee/

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Finally back to get into the swing of things. Since I'm well known as the "Disney guy" around these parts, naturally I would devote my time to figures from the company.

Recently, Medicom has been producing collectible figures for Toy Story and Frozen. Previews of the Woody, Elsa, and Anna dolls were shown in Japan but have recently made an appearance at SDCC.

Since I've already talked a lot about the Woody figure, I will be focusing on Elsa and Anna.

Medicom's "Real Action Heroes" Elsa and Anna

With Frozen's continued popularity in the world this shouldn't be too surprising with Medicom's latest work on Elsa and Anna. Each figure comes with 3 heads, one of which is a "singing head".

Like the Ultimate Woody, it is poseable and comes with a stand. Both figures cost $218 each.

Release: March 2016
Elsa: http://www.medicomtoy.co.jp/list/10375.html
Anna: http://www.medicomtoy.co.jp/list/10374.html

With regards to my own Toy Story collection, I recently acquired an XR model kit from the old Buzz Lightyear of Star Command TV show.

He's taller than the Toy Story Collection Aliens which makes him the perfect size to stand next to Buzz.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
When I was a kid, I had a couple hundred Hot Wheels cars. I absolutely adored those things, asked all of my relatives for them (along with Pokemon cards) every birthday and Christmas, and had a basket full that was a few feet high.

A close second favorite, however, was Bionicles.

The lore was deep and complex, the characters were interesting (to a 4-and-above year old), the character designs were masterful, and they were really fun to play with. I stopped collecting them around the time of Web of Shadows and Island of Doom, but the original Bionlcles will always have a soft spot in my heart.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I took some pictures of my TSC Woody and Buzz with some stuff I bought this year.
IMG_0329.jpg
IMG_0330.jpg

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Well, S.H. Figuarts Super Sailor Moon got released in Japan, I can't wait to see this figure in America
This shows how Tamashii improved in the last 2 years

On the left side is the S.H. Figuarts Sailor Moon 1st edition, a superb figure released in Q4 2013, unfortunately it falls short against newer figures because it had joint problems and the metallic paintjob that felt kinda unfitting, showing that Tamshii was still learning how to work with that model. This figure got a "corrected" version using colors more accurate to the anime (like replacing the metallic pink with solid red), unfortunately that figure is hard to get because is limited edition.

Now in Q3 2015 we have her Super Sailor form showing how Usagi/Serena has become taller and her eyes are more accurate to the drawing style that was starting to get used in the third season. The colors are more vibrant using a tone that is between red and pink, a more shiny pearl color for the white parts and a more solid color for the hair; overall, the figure feels more alive than her pervious transformation.

S.H. Figuarts Super Sailor Moon is expected to arrive in America in late August 2015

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Didn't know this place existed until now.
Anyway, my most prominent collection would likely be my 2-inch Tomy Pokemon Monster Collection figures. Love 'em. Been buying them since I was a child, still have every one. My collection dropped off when Hasbro lost the distribution rights in 2003, but had a minor heart attack when I saw Tomy Black and White series figures for sale at Target when on the the way to pick up a piece for another collection. More on that in a bit.

I'm a huge Tolkien nerd, and collect the action figures for it. I wanted to get into collecting Hobbit figures too, but The Bridge Direct dropped the ball really hard :(

But the collection I'm most into right now is Mattel's WWE line. Mostly just Classic 80's/90's/Attitude wrestlers, but I'm thinking of starting an NXT subcollection because I love NXT so much.
I was at target to pick up Miss Elizabeth for my Classic collection when I spotted the Tomys and had a minor heart attack. When I saw that awesome SDCC 2010 exclusive Undertaker, I knew I had to have it. I got it, and it's my grail.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Didn't know this place existed until now.
Anyway, my most prominent collection would likely be my 2-inch Tomy Pokemon Monster Collection figures. Love 'em. Been buying them since I was a child, still have every one. My collection dropped off when Hasbro lost the distribution rights in 2003, but had a minor heart attack when I saw Tomy Black and White series figures for sale at Target when on the the way to pick up a piece for another collection. More on that in a bit.

I'm a huge Tolkien nerd, and collect the action figures for it. I wanted to get into collecting Hobbit figures too, but The Bridge Direct dropped the ball really hard :(

But the collection I'm most into right now is Mattel's WWE line. Mostly just Classic 80's/90's/Attitude wrestlers, but I'm thinking of starting an NXT subcollection because I love NXT so much.
I was at target to pick up Miss Elizabeth for my Classic collection when I spotted the Tomys and had a minor heart attack. When I saw that awesome SDCC 2010 exclusive Undertaker, I knew I had to have it. I got it, and it's my grail.
I hope you can share a photo of that collection, I would like to see if Mattel improved, I have a WWE collection too, but it's from the Jakks Pacific Line
NXT Rocks indeed :p

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm really not a toy collector. However, I have kind of found myself interested in My Little Pony toys, especially G3, but some G1, too.

Here's my most recent, a G1:

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Admittedly, I haven't bought a lot of collectible figures AT ALL this year

I've been trying to save up my money

However, I just bought

The Papo Apatosaurus. I've been collecting the Papo dinosaurs for...Dang, almost 2 years now

AEFrazzleCandy

Smash Cadet
NNID
GatorCrash
This is my massive collection of figures
View attachment 56306
Im planning to buy Sailor Jupiter in the near future while I wait for my Sailor V Figuarts

I also have a lot of WWE Ruthless Aggression figures from Jakks Pacific, but now I don't have space to show them.
*squees fangirl* AAAAH! Finally!! All I got is stuffed animals, Beanie Babies in particular.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
It's nice to see this place pick up some activity without me. :p

I was lurking Disney Store for weeks until I came across these peculiar items:

Even though I didn't mention this here, these Woody and Buzz Lightyear figures are the LE sold at D23 back in August. They're both listed on Disney Store's website at around $60, a bit pricey for repainted versions of the usual DS Toy Story figures. Currently, they are sold out but DS my plan a restock at some point.

I, personally, would rather spend my money on Medicom's Ultimate Woody since it is the most screen-accurate depiction of Woody.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It's nice to see this place pick up some activity without me. :p

I was lurking Disney Store for weeks until I came across these peculiar items:

Even though I didn't mention this here, these Woody and Buzz Lightyear figures are the LE sold at D23 back in August. They're both listed on Disney Store's website at around $60, a bit pricey for repainted versions of the usual DS Toy Story figures. Currently, they are sold out but DS my plan a restock at some point.

I, personally, would rather spend my money on Medicom's Ultimate Woody since it is the most screen-accurate depiction of Woody.
I looked up the Medicom's Ultimate Woody and yep, that woody is well worth the money. I would buy it if I had the money

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I looked up the Medicom's Ultimate Woody and yep, that woody is well worth the money. I would buy it if I had the money
I'm going to have to skip out on Mario Maker until Christmas to get him, unfortunately. Medicom figures usually come down as time goes on but I have a feeling that Woody might be very rare after his initial release.

In light of Toy Story, I've decided to review a few TS figures I own as my celebration of the 20th anniversary. I'm going to start with the TSC toys I own and then move onto other replicas. I enjoy writing and talking about toys so this will be a fun and tiring ordeal.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I've been active for 4 months and I just now realized the Pool Room is a thing, wow

Aside from my amiibo collection, I'm also a huge fan of the Marvel POP! bobbleheads. They are surprisingly affordable, and have a wide collection of characters to choose from, which I like a lot. I'm a huge Marvel nerd, so I really appreciate how easy they are to find and how well-made they are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom